Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

saabsaab wrote: »
    If say this virus gets established in a larger Irish town city. Wouldn't it be best to quarantine that city? and stop the spread elsewhere.

Might be best to nuke it. Just to be safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

No nukes. Just cut off Dublin for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

They could do a test run with Longford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

If say this virus gets established in a larger Irish town city. Wouldn't it be best to quarantine that city? and stop the spread elsewhere.
    A (very, very) small town perhaps, certainly not a medium/large town, nor city.

Commandeer the nearest tractor and dump the nearest field onto the roads out.
    On the plus side they'd get sent in loads of free pizza, ice-cream and anything else they want for a couple of weeks of netflix 'n chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 macapaca

China shuts down another major city today as it closed roads and restricted the movement of residents in Wenzhou, a city with a population of 9 million that is located 800 km away from Wuhan, in Hubei province. The Zhejiang province, where Wenzhou is located, has the highest number of confirmed cases outside the Hubei province.

Source - go google it as a number of news sources have it.

Anyone still think this isn't a big deal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

They could do a test run with Longford.

Thought they already had

Back to the important stuff, so managed to get a load of these at huge discount, for this pending tribulation.

dXbL11v.png

But is it worth swapping up for 3 cans of Heinz per 4 pack of Brans
    Or swap down, to 8 cans of the aul watery tesco/lidl value label beans:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

No nukes. Just cut off Dublin for a bit.

Well...why not a nuke at that stage? :pac:

macapaca wrote: »
    China shuts down another major city today as it closed roads and restricted the movement of residents in Wenzhou, a city with a population of 9 million that is located 800 km away from Wuhan, in Hubei province. The Zhejiang province, where Wenzhou is located, has the highest number of confirmed cases outside the Hubei province.

Source - go google it as a number of news sources have it.

Anyone still think this isn't a big deal?

They could be worried about social protesting or complaints tbh.

Edit: That is interesting. There have actually been a few protests in Wenzhou which is actually a big deal in China.

Edit 2 : Holy crap, there also seems to be a lot of protests in the past in Wuhan.

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-china-blog-48904350

Edit 3: Word to the wise, it might be easier to stock up by delivery so that you can get a lot of nonperishable items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Back to the important stuff, so managed to get a load of these at huge discount, for this pending tribulation.

dXbL11v.png

But is it worth swapping up for 3 cans of Heinz per 4 pack of Brans
    Or swap down, to 8 cans of the aul watery tesco/lidl value label beans:

Newgate Baked Beans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I'm not sure about quarantining a city. I find it hard to see the point. You get it in one city, you get it in another city. I like the idea of a curfew/stay of the streets for a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Vegas :O What are you up to over there?

If you have some savings, you could probably rent a cheap place away from civilazation for a month, but, as I've said, and as absurd as this is, it might be only delaying the inevitable. It's either going to be bad or it won't

I've been quietly stocking up on things since news about this started coming up so can stay inside for a couple of weeks if need be. Trying to not get overly worried though, even ebola turned out to be mostly survivable with western medicine and hygiene standards.

In a matter of hours, China will pump a net 150 billion yuan ($22bn; £16.3bn) into its economy to help protect it from the impact of the coronavirus outbreak.

That's a bit like the bossman leaving the keys to a new A6 on your desk, a pass card to exotic-nights lapbar (or somesuch), and some very vintage pop - if he sees you browsing on Indeed.com or brochure of an early pre-retirement village.

To add more fuel to the fire of my post, this is very odd timing.

https://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-china-protests-wuhan-environment-20190704-story.html\

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Some fashion editor reporting on the virus and contradicting herself in the same paragraph and displaying xenophobia herself - read a bit like toeing the party line to me as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

We need to remember that the Chinese people are victims here, and are more scared right now than we will ever be. The Chinese people who have travelled to Europe are just ordinary people going about their ordinary lives, and they never expected to get caught up on this. While it's clear that because there is a major outbreak in certain areas we need to be cautious around people from those areas, hopefully we can do this in a compassionate way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Moved from AH to CA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

hmmm wrote: »
    We need to remember that the Chinese people are victims here, and are more scared right now than we will ever be. The Chinese people who have travelled to Europe are just ordinary people going about their ordinary lives, and they never expected to get caught up on this. While it's clear that because there is a major outbreak in certain areas we need to be cautious around people from those areas, hopefully we can do this in a compassionate way.

yea but the x-phobia ambulance chasers can f right off too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Nosnon wrote: »
    Mod-Moved from AH to CA.
    Booo! :P

• Advertisement

hmmm wrote: »
    True enough, it will likely (if not already) become a 'more global' situation within a matter of months.
    Monday's 1st example is the NZXtop50 down an instant 2%, within the hour of opening trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Today in Hubei:
    Over 2100 new infections confirmed
    56 more deaths
    500 now critically ill patients
    1220 now seriously ill patients
    80 patients discharged
    https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/exw7vs/the_latest_report_from_the_hubei_province/

Almost 17,000 worldwide confirmed to now have the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Seeing pictures of the Chinese wet markets it's no surprise, it looks vile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

Experts estimate 75000 thousand infections in Wuhan alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

wakka12 wrote: »
    Today in Hubei:
    56 more deaths
    80 patients discharged
    https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/exw7vs/the_latest_report_from_the_hubei_province/

And the rest...

Well that new hospital won't be able to fit the new official cases for one day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

"Some experts" are estimating this, also this was an estimate for Jan 25th that predicted it doubling every 6 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I've been quietly stocking up on things since news about this started coming up so can stay inside for a couple of weeks if need be. Trying to not get overly worried though, even ebola turned out to be mostly survivable with western medicine and hygiene standards.

Ebola is not airborne so it's spread is very limited and tends to stay localised. This is highly infectious by the looks of it. If its mortality rate gets anywhere near SARS or MERS we're fcukd.

I've heard experts estimate almost every number under the sun at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Today in Hubei:
    56 more deaths
    80 patients discharged

Very low number discharged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

https://youtu.be/z05ZrMfKUDc

This is an English medical consultant.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Very low number discharged

It is quite a bit more than usual. It's the first day in a while where number of discharged was considerably more than the number of new deaths

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It is quite a bit more than usual. It's the first day in a while where number of discharged was considerably more than the number of new deaths

Well yes, but overall I'm concerned that until cases are resolved either way, we can't get a handle on true cfr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

When the true numbers of people with the virus are confirmed, I would guess that the death rate will fall from 2% to 0.2 % equal to the flu.

Just guessing of course.

When the true numbers of people with the virus are confirmed, I would guess that the death rate will fall from 2% to 0.2 % equal to the flu.

Just guessing of course.

That assumes the death count is accurate now. In Wuhan, Hubei right now there's just no way any of them are true numbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This tweeter saying Dublin case is false alarm.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jason_corcoran/status/1224077135024918528

No way to verify yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

https://youtu.be/z05ZrMfKUDc

This is an English medical consultant.

He's great explaining about the outbreak and giving updates. A very knowledgeable chap.

Just guessing of course.

It does seem completely possible given how many cases are probably going unnoticed
    But at the same time
    The number of critically ill and severe cases are growing by several hundred daily for weeks now, and those numbers are just growing in a sustained manner rather than pleateauing...that doesnt happen with flu, a flu does not overwhelm health infrastructure in such a short space of time, the numbers rise and fall, not build indefinitely

• Registered Users Posts: 45 macapaca

I.....that doesnt happen with flu, a flu does not overwhelm health infrastructure in such a short space of time

....with the exception of the HSE of course

I wonder when the number of cases in Wuhan will begin to not reach the daily maximum testing limit of what appears to be around 2100, I would have thought quaratine and everyone being inside would almost completely stop the virus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

https://twitter.com/CoronaVirusFlu/status/1224080381844115456?s=19

Some good news for a change. Hopefully this 'cure' can be verified and implemented

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

PhantomHat wrote: »

Some good news for a change. Hopefully this 'cure' can be verified and implemented

Bout time, I was wondering if they were using the anti retro virals or whatever they’re called. Problem of course is, there won’t be enough stock for the millions of people in China alone who’ll need them.

I would trust Thailand tbh.

Wow, how convenient that there is a good cure in such a short amount of time. It's like there was information already from maybe...research?

Ah well, if it's true, China deserves applause for volunteering the information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

PhantomHat wrote: »

Be very very careful, this is a daily mail story.

Most likely not true

Highly questionable sources
    And HIV drugs certainly do not work that fast - takes months to get the viral load undetectable i.e. not cured but undetectable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

So those are questionable sources but unverified videos posted on twitter are totally not? Ok then.

It's almost like some people want this to be really bad and wont hear any good news.

Here is another source

https://www.france24.com/en/20200202-thailand-sees-apparent-success-treating-virus-with-drug-cocktail

Thailand look to be having a good success rate with this treatment
    Thailand so far has detected 19 confirmed cases of the virus believed to have originated in the central Chinese city of Wuhan, which is under lockdown.

That is the second most number of cases outside of China, with Japan recording 20.

So far, eight patients in Thailand have recovered and returned home, while 11 remain in hospital.

I have some unused oseltamivir from last year, now I just need to get my hands on the others and I'll be grand :)

Think they did similar with the first case in the US when he was getting worse for the wear. Not sure if it was exact same meds.

One test case that recovered does not equal a cure because someone fed them a mixture of drugs
    China reported the same a few days ago or so but nothing heard about it since

fritzelly wrote: »
    One test case that recovered does not equal a cure because someone fed them a mixture of drugs
    China reported the same a few days ago or so but nothing heard about it since

It's not a cure, it's just when people have gotten pretty bad a couple of times they've been given anti-virals and it helped. Oxygen helps too at that stage, who would have thought. But anything that helps is good news.

It's not a cure, it's just when people have gotten pretty bad a couple of times they've been given anti-virals and it helped. Oxygen helps too at that stage, who would have thought.

It's a fluff piece to get 15 minutes of fame - why only one patient, others were released after recovering
    Until there is a controlled trial it should be dismissed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement