Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

humberklog wrote: »
    Lambay is privately owned.

Nationalise it under emergency powers.
    timmyntc wrote: »
    You need an island with an airstrip so you can land flights there. Otherwise you're flying them into Dublin, and moving them through Dublin and putting them on a boat, etc.

The whole point of quarantine is to minimize all exposure to the general population.

Chopper them out straight from Dublin.

Wallabies should be thankful they're not back in Oz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

I suspect we have nowhere suitable to quarantine people, and we would not have the capacity to treat a significant outbreak either.

I would have thought a hotel on the north side of the city should be able to take 100 or so passengers from a flight arriving with a suspected case. Would this not be the way to manage a situation like the Moscow flight in future, until the suspected case is tested. In hindsight those passengers would have been delayed 48 hours but it would have saved alot of worry and potential risk to the public. Imagine the test was positive, this country would be looking at being a new epicenter. Thankfully the passenger is ok but pure luck given he traveled from China. Maybe we are lucky to have had a 'test run' we can learn from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

He is also saying that the outbreak in Wuhan will peek on about 20 April and two weeks later in other Chinese cites. With the numbers doubling up to that date every 6.2 days. That is interesting.

That's interesting, a Chinese friend in country was saying people are being told by the powers that be that it will peak towards the end of this month. Again, that (forgive the pun) comes with a health warning, second hand information.

Ye're talking as if this is ebola.. One person has died outside China. Relax. You don't islands to quarantine people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

givyjoe wrote: »
    Can you clarify who has said this? It literally doesn't stack up with anything thats currently happening. Why did the WHO just declare a Global Health Emergency? Why is so much of China in lockdown? Doesn't really stack up to being low risk.

Risk to people in the uk remains low. I assume it’s the same in Ireland. Ye would think by this thread the majority live in wuhan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Risk to people in the uk remains low. I assume it’s the same in Ireland. Ye would think by this thread the majority live in wuhan.

Actually the risk in Ireland is now considered medium.
    "There are no confirmed cases of novel Coronavirus in Ireland to date. The risk of importation of a case into Ireland from another country is moderate according to ECDC.''

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/passenger-displaying-coronavirus-symptoms-taken-17674333?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

humberklog wrote: »
    Lambay is privately owned.

So is Ireland's Eye since Tetrarch Capital bought Howth Demesne last year.

Anyway the idea's mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

WOW, why has this thread been moved to Current affairs? if there's one thread useful in AH, it would be this imo. very important to keep people informed, AH is the forum with the most users or readers through all sorts of different people I guess, why move it to current affairs??:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Ye're talking as if this is ebola.. One person has died outside China. Relax. You don't islands to quarantine people.

This is far more contagious and fast spreading than ebola. I think most people, myself included, aren't worried about the catching the virus per se, but rather the effects and repercussions if it did manage to take hold here as it did in China. It took hold in China due to carelessness and not taking it seriously enough, early enough. It would be absolutely criminal if we and other countries made the same mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

tara73 wrote: »
    WOW, why has this thread been moved to Current affairs? if there's one thread useful in AH, it would be this imo. very important to keep people informed, AH is the forum with the most users or readers through all sorts of different people I guess, why move it to current affairs??:eek::eek:

???? Why the fuss; It is but a click away! Not rocket science :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Totally agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Probably because it’s current affairs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Posters who have access to sensitive CIA Intel should not have to post in after hours. It's beneath them.
    The CIA say it's the most advanced bio weapons facility in China.

Why do you think China put such extreme measures in place so quick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

And your not questioning why this person was singled out?

What do you mean? They were obviously showing symptoms to be concerned about if the pilot radioed ahead. I'm just pointing out that there's multiple cases of 2 tests where the first is negative and the second is positive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I listented to an expert on the Marian Finnucane show on Sunday morning and he if I'm not mistaken seemedto be indicating that we should ban all vistors from China to the county until this passes. Fairly radical but obviously this is a pretty serious pandemic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I listented to an expert on the Marian Finnucane show on Sunday morning and he if I'm not mistaken seemedto be indicating that we should ban all vistors from China to the county until this passes. Fairly radical but obviously this is a pretty serious pandemic

How would we manage that though effectively? There are no direct flight's to Ireland so everyone travelling to and from China transits through countless airports such as London, Zurich, Berlin, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Paris etc.

Very little way of knowing someone was in China recently unless they are truthful to Irish airport staff upon arrival. A crackdown like this would result in people lying to get into Ireland.

One man picked up the virus during a 2 hour transit through Wuhan airport.

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Probably because it’s current affairs?

not getting the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

VinLieger wrote: »
    What do you mean? They were obviously showing symptoms to be concerned about if the pilot radioed ahead. I'm just pointing out that there's multiple cases of 2 tests where the first is negative and the second is positive

Issue here is not the diagnosis, it's the lack of faith people will have as the result of not having a temporary quarantine procedure for remaining passengers until the diagnosis was given.

This does not inspire much confidence tbh.

But then it is the HSE so...

The black out from RTE is hard to understand even if the HSE themselves don't comment. I don't think they mentioned it once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Regardless of how that incident was handled it's entirely possible that someone with the virus has already landed in Ireland. I'm purely speculating if course but it wouldn't be unreasonable to suspect that someone has arrived here carrying an infection. What that means in the long term I wouldn't be sure.

tuxy wrote: »
    Posters who have access to sensitive CIA Intel should not have to post in after hours. It's beneath them.

I know this is sarcastically meant, but could very well be (one of) the reasons. too much delicate, maybe true, (emphasis is on maybe!) stuff discussed...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

AH is a place for the craic, not a newsboard.

If someone browsing boards needs AH to catch vital news then maybe they've caught the virus already and there's no hope for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

Tests show passenger who arrived at Dublin airport does not have coronavirus.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/tests-show-passenger-who-arrived-at-dublin-airport-does-not-have-coronavirus-1.4159569

This is why mainstream media were slow to report without facts.

I guess this news will disappoint some people on this thread.
    It took hold in China due to carelessness and not taking it seriously enough, early enough. It would be absolutely criminal if we and other countries made the same mistakes.

I think this is people's point around the possible infected passenger at Dublin airport. One passenger removed for tests. The remaining 200 odd passengers allowed to leave with a note to ask them to refrain from being in contact with others. That is beyond reckless imo. What if that passenger had been infected, and had infected others on the plane who went and spread it to the general population?? We'd be looking at a similar problem to Wuhan (albeit on a smaller scale). .....except we wouldnt be building a couple of hospitals to deal with it over a 10 day period.

daheff wrote: »
    I think this is people's point around the possible infected passenger at Dublin airport. One passenger removed for tests. The remaining 200 odd passengers allowed to leave with a note to ask them to refrain from being in contact with others. That is beyond reckless imo. What if that passenger had been infected, and had infected others on the plane who went and spread it to the general population?? We'd be looking at a similar problem to Wuhan (albeit on a smaller scale). .....except we wouldnt be building a couple of hospitals to deal with it over a 10 day period.

We would give them letters of appointment in 6 months time.

circadian wrote: »
    Current statistics have 9,776 confirmed infections, 213 deaths and 187 recoveries.

This is looking OK at the moment considering it'll probably take longer to recover than die from this so I'd expect parity in terms of death/recovery within the next week. I guess the next few weeks will really show how much this has spread and I'd say the quarantine has had a significant effect on limiting the spread, outside of China at least. If infections continue to rise I can see most airlines refusing to fly to China and possibly countries restricting entry from China for a short period of time.

I hope this will start to peak now and that the recoveries begin to outpace deaths but we'll see, so much is unknown at this point in time.

Now at 362 deaths and 511 recoveries as per Johns Hopkins. A significant increase in deaths since Friday but also seems recoveries from the initial outbreak are starting to come through. Up to 17,485 infections so that is continuing to rise very quickly, pretty much doubled since Friday.

I'd like to see the recoveries continue to outpace deaths as it'll give us a better idea of what the real mortality rate of this infection is. The biggest concern for me is the strain on local healthcare services, it has overwhelmed Wuhan. This is possible again anywhere else on the planet, no healthcare system is capable of handling a runaway epidemic.

Some countries have taken very drastic measures and I'd argue that this would be the correct approach. While the mortality rate at the minute doesn't appear to be too high the infection rate is massive. Restricting travel will have an effect on your economy but having an outbreak and a significant percentage of your working population being unable to work or dying would have, in my opinion, a much worse economic impact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

VinLieger wrote: »
    So only 1 test was done? Germany and others have been testing twice as in several cases the first test has been negative but the second positive

Were the German cases symptomatic or not? That makes a difference. The guy in Dublin was showing symptoms, if you are showing symptoms then you will have viral particles that are measurable. You may be exposed to the virus but not showing symptoms or have measurable viral particles at the start of your exposure, then days later because of the path of the infection viral particles will be present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

An outbreak on board a cruise ship now being quarantined in the port of Yokohama. There’s 3000 on board. Another tweet saying multiple outbreaks.

Good chance the whole ship is infected.

https://twitter.com/michiyocna/status/1224299573838893056?s=21

An outbreak on board a cruise ship now being quarantined in the port of Yokohama. There’s 3000 on board. Another tweet saying multiple outbreaks.

Good chance the whole ship is infected.

https://twitter.com/michiyocna/status/1224299573838893056?s=21

That doesn't make sense? That would mean he was on board and is no longer on board from 25th January. So why is the ship being quarantined now? Are they concerned staff may be carrying it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51353279

Chinese foreign ministry getting pissy with the US accusing it of spreading panic by restricting entry to non-citzens that have recently been to China.

You can always count on the nefarious Americans to bully poor little China. I'm sure the US would love a stock market dump like the Chinese exchanges experienced today just so Zhongnanhai can safe face. Very silly indeed. When things go wrong, you can always point the finger at Washington and cross your fingers the Chinese people swallow it.

circadian wrote: »
    That doesn't make sense? That would mean he was on board and is no longer on board from 25th January. So why is the ship being quarantined now? Are they concerned staff may be carrying it?

He possibly got on in Hong Kong. If he was the carrier he basically had a week to infect the rest of the ship.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

One of the 11 British flown home yesterday from Wuhan has taken ill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

tuxy wrote: »
    The Irish Sun are now claiming there is a confirmed case in Ireland

It's the Sun. Probably one of

a) including the island of Ireland on the map as part of the UK.
    b) Referring to that guy who arrived in Dublin airport showing symptoms but since tested negative as "confirmed case".

Usually ****ty standard of reporting either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Has there been a death outside of China or Chinese nationals?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The sun also report that: most Irish hospitals' emergency departments don't have isolation facilities to deal with an outbreak
    which is likely correct, unless you include pushing someone into a storeroom or spare room, and lock the door.

Across the water, PHE recommended sealing any suspected case showing up a a GP surgery, and vacating the area (leaving possessions) until the bio-suit people arrive for extraction and fumigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Good analysis of the potential impact of this on the global economy:

"Opinion Global Economy
    Coronavirus will hit global growth
    China’s place in the world economy has grown dramatically since the US triggered earlier recessions"

https://www.ft.com/content/8be84270-4430-11ea-a43a-c4b328d9061c

silverharp wrote: »
    China had a head start in the outbreak (early Dec), so best wait a few weeks to get a better picture of each international case as it progresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

silverharp wrote: »

Chinese national from Wuhan died in the Philippines on Saturday. First death outside China

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

The sun also report that: most Irish hospitals' emergency departments don't have isolation facilities to deal with an outbreak
    which is likely correct, unless you include pushing someone into a storeroom or spare room, and lock the door.

Across the water, PHE recommended sealing any suspected case showing up a a GP surgery, and vacating the area (leaving possessions) until the bio-suit people arrive for extraction and fumigation.
    My wife and I were put into isolation in a maternity hospital because she had the flu. It was just a private room and the nurses were disposable hazard coverings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

So what’s the protocol now in lreland if you notice a Chinese Person coughing?

Call the GARDA?

• Advertisement

My wife and I were put into isolation in a maternity hospital because she had the flu. It was just a private room and the nurses were disposable hazard coverings.
    A maternity hospital may better facilities that some regional A&E.

This is also a very different type of flu (not your regular Inf A/B facing winter overcrowding), no vaccine nor natural immunity exists for it, hence the aul global pandemic emergency.

Even when a vax is made, it will need human trials before final release to the public, there is also a risk of further mutation, making the new vax invalid.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Good analysis of the potential impact of this on the global economy:

"Opinion Global Economy
    Coronavirus will hit global growth
    China’s place in the world economy has grown dramatically since the US triggered earlier recessions"

https://www.ft.com/content/8be84270-4430-11ea-a43a-c4b328d9061c

paywall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Even when a vax is made, it will need human trials before final release to the public, there is also a risk of further mutation, making the new vax invalid.

Swine flu vax was a rush job and there are cases in courts now re narcolepsy link. Wasnt suitable for kids due to those concerns iirc

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

A mate's co- worker was on the flight from Moscow when the Chinese lad took ill. Yet man was taken off the plane at the airport. The rest of the flight were told to stay home as much as possible and if any issues on Sunday ring straight away.
    Not exactly inspiring from the authorities!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Can you clarify who has said this? It literally doesn't stack up with anything thats currently happening. Why did the WHO just declare a Global Health Emergency? Why is so much of China in lockdown? Doesn't really stack up to being low risk.

The WHO said themselves that it's an emergency because of the risks posed if it becomes widespread in countries with sub par medical care. For developed nations it doesn't pose as much of a risk.

From reddit
    A civilian (Fang Bin) who filmed body bags in one of the WuHan hospitals had his door knocked down by the authority forcing him to "measure his temperature" and ended up in police station for not following "one voice" policy.

https://youtu.be/sCEFzL66oKg
    I am not sure how people got all excited with hosptial being built within 9 days when there are **** ton of cover ups happening right now, people are literally dying in their own home in WuHan.

EDIT: There is a huge humanitarian crisis happening right now in WuHan and you would not find it on the news because 1) WuHan is in lock down a lot of foreign press are either not there or stayed in-door for both safety and government order. 2) Censorship on reporting is very serious. A lot of local news outlet are asked to "tone down" the reporting and focus on reporting the "positive side" of the outbreak.

Basically your only source of information for the situation happening in WuHan is WeiBo or YouTube (yes YouTube. They have to upload to YouTube with VPN for personal "safety"), even the "tweets" on WeiBo got deleted very quickly and if you read Chinese you would know more about the sitation.

EDIT2: I want to point out that I am not here to cause panic. The infection COULD be treated with HIGH survival rate. It is estimated to be less deadly than SARS by many scientists.

HOWEVER, the real problem here is that the virus is VERY contagious. The real risk here is a huge crowd of patients would exhaust all medical resources and people would die due to lack of treatment.

This is what happening right now in WuHan. If you pay attention to death rate in WuHan, you will find that it is much higher than other province in China or rest of the world. It is because a lot of patients were rejected from admitting into hospital due to overcrowding even when they are showing symptoms for they are “not severe enough” or “not confirmed as infected” due to lack of test kits. Patients with cancers are being sent back to home to leave room for the infected. Also a lot of infections actually took place in the hospitals because of the long lines and the lack of protective gear, people with common flu or cold were infected in hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

China had a head start in the outbreak (early Dec), so best wait a few weeks to get a better picture of each international case as it progresses.

I'd assume viruses don't have ethnic preferences but it would be interesting if this one did

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    The WHO said themselves that it's an emergency because of the risks posed if it becomes widespread in countries with sub par medical care. For developed nations it doesn't pose as much of a risk.

So China isn't a developed nation then.. hmmm. Think you are seriously misquoting the WHO there. They did not state it was only an Emergency, because of the risk to developing countries. It is of a particular high risk to those countries because of their poor healthcare systems.

Your last sentence sounds an awful like personal opinion and not actually what the WHO said, or the actual reality of the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Much of China is developing economically and the social/political system is not one that we generally associate with a developed naiton (basically, non western) but in terms of infrastrucutre it is just as and in some cases much more infrastructurally developed than for example Ireland. Most Chinese cities make a lot of Dublin look like a shanty town, but people in Ireland probably have much higher life satisfactioin. Theres multiple layers to it and I dont think all of a country as big as China can just be labelled as simply as 'developed' or 'developing', there are at least one hundred million Chinese people who are wildly wealthier than the average Irish person, do you think they just accept 'developing world' infrastructure? There are many different sides to the economic and social situation of Chinese society, its an extremely large and diverse country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

So China isn't a developed nation then.. hmmm. Think you are seriously misquoting the WHO there. They did not state it was only an Emergency, because of the risk to developing countries. It is of a particular high risk to those countries because of their poor healthcare systems.

Your last sentence sounds an awful like personal opinion and not actually what the WHO said, or the actual reality of the situation.

They pretty much said the reason for it was to support less developed countries. That's it.

Instead, he said, the declaration of a public health emergency of international concern, or PHEIC, is meant to help support less developed countries and to try to prevent the virus from spreading in those places that are less equipped to detect the disease and handle infections.

“We don’t know what sort of damage this virus could do if it spread in a country with a weaker health system,” Tedros said

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement