Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

enricoh wrote: »
    A mate's co- worker was on the flight from Moscow when the Chinese lad took ill. Yet man was taken off the plane at the airport. The rest of the flight were told to stay home as much as possible and if any issues on Sunday ring straight away.
    Not exactly inspiring from the authorities!

What should they do with the other 200 odd people?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    They pretty much said the reason for it was to support less developed countries. That's it.

So it does: https://corporatemaldives.com/coronavirus-is-declared-a-global-health-emergency-as-threat-rises-outside-china/

Can you tell me where it says this is a low risk to developed countries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Kerala in India has now declared a State disaster.

https://twitter.com/ani/status/1224347230926073857?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

What should they do with the other 200 odd people?

Isolate them somewhere. Like UK are doing with people it flew back from China.

Ignoring the issue isn't helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

daheff wrote: »
    Isolate them somewhere. Like UK are doing with people it flew back from China.

Ignoring the issue isn't helping.

Except for the bus drivers who had no protective gear and were sent home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

silverharp wrote: »
    I'd assume viruses don't have ethnic preferences but it would be interesting if this one did

But they do. Spanish flu while high mortality rate among Europeans was particularly deadly for Inuit, Native American and Polynesian populations.

On twitter it seems this virus affects Asian males more, but early days yet. Nobody really knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Scrabbles38

givyjoe wrote: »
    So it does: https://corporatemaldives.com/coronavirus-is-declared-a-global-health-emergency-as-threat-rises-outside-china/

Can you tell me where it says this is a low risk to developed countries?

, as he is called, stressed the decision was not meant to criticize the Chinese response to the outbreak, which he and other WHO officials have gone out of the way to praise. Instead, he said, the declaration of a public health emergency of international concern, or PHEIC, is meant to help support less developed countries and to try to prevent the virus from spreading in those places that are less equipped to detect the disease and handle infections.

That’s from the link you posted.. that’s why they up it to global..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Very surprised this hasnt reached Africa or the middle east at least - it jumped from the far east right over to Europe and america!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Except for the bus drivers who had no protective gear and were sent home
    The '2nd arriva'l Driver(s) via the 4 horsemen coaches, seem not to have taken any advice onboard.
    As one of the 2nd load of passengers was taken ill, and attended to, the Driver can be seen chillaxing.
    He did sport a wooly hat and moustache though:

V5EF6aN.png

On twitter it seems this virus affects Asian males more, but early days yet. Nobody really knows.
    It effects people (M+F) more close to the actual virus basin and epicentre, as would be expected, that is all. Conspiracy Theories... ->

• Advertisement

ardinn wrote: »
    Very surprised this hasnt reached Africa or the middle east at least - it jumped from the far east right over to Europe and america!
    A 'handful' in the US & Europe, and one in UAE.

Besides, not many folks in Beijing fly back and fourth to Timbuktu.
    again... Conspiracy Theories... ->

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Kerala in India has now declared a State disaster.

https://twitter.com/ani/status/1224347230926073857?s=21

Taking no chances, Kerala would be one of the better developed States in India so they should have better infrastructure for this but obviously see the need to declare an emergency with 3 cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

, as he is called, stressed the decision was not meant to criticize the Chinese response to the outbreak, which he and other WHO officials have gone out of the way to praise. Instead, he said, the declaration of a public health emergency of international concern, or PHEIC, is meant to help support less developed countries and to try to prevent the virus from spreading in those places that are less equipped to detect the disease and handle infections.

That’s from the link you posted.. that’s why they up it to global..

Did you read my question?? Where does it say this is a low risk to developed countries? And precisely what is meant by low risk? Low risk of what? Low risk of cases developing.. already happened. Low risk of it spreading and overwhelming health services..well whats stopping what's happening in China happening here, nothing if our first reaction to a possible case is anything to go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

https://twitter.com/narimangharib/status/1224270513809215488?s=21

There are also several suspected cases throughout Africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

UAE health authorities confirmed there are five cases of the 2019-nCoV respiratory virus in the country.

But sure this person is grand as there were probably not Chinese

Dublin airport was the scene of another coronavirus alert today after a man on a flight from Dubai reported flu like symptoms.

A spokesman for Emirates airlines confirmed a passenger on board flight EK161 which was due in Dublin around noon complained of flu-like symptoms.

As a precaution, the Health Service Executive (HSE) was alerted.

After boarding the aircraft, the HSE cleared the passenger and deemed the person was not at risk of the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

From reddit

China, a perfect example of the left, shutdown and censor everything you don't agree with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

A family in China were found to be infected with a strain of ncov that had undergone significant mutation
    https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3048772/striking-coronavirus-mutations-found-within-one-family-cluster

The effect of the mutation on human health is not yet known

But sure this person is grand as there were probably not Chinese
    So if you're not Chinese, this virus won't affect you, is that what is being implied, by your good self?

Sound like you've got a great sci-fi movie script there somewhere, maybe send it to Marvel Comics they're always looking for ideas for comics, although add in some zombie stuff, that's all the rage.

theguzman wrote: »
    China, a perfect example of the left, shutdown and censor everything you don't agree with.

Are you really taking this thread as an opportunity to take pot shots at "the left"? Get over it for ****s sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

wakka12 wrote: »
    A family in China were found to be infected with a strain of ncov that had undergone significant mutation
    https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3048772/striking-coronavirus-mutations-found-within-one-family-cluster

The effect of the mutation on human health is not yet known

Didn't that happen days ago?

Edit: Very interesting newspaper. It is a hong kong stationed newspaper owned by Alibaba (Government owned pretty much) for the English speaking people.

Why is China pushing the virus being so dangerous?

• Advertisement

What conspiracy - im just surprised - china has HUGE interests in central africa and extremely large traffic between the 2.

Its getting ridiculous in here now when you say something and someone directs you to CT. Stupid comment.

I must admit, there is actually a huge amount of Chinese in Africa due to the infrastructure development. So, it is odd how it isn't spreading, but it might just not be being reported or the dry heat makes it more difficult.

I must admit, there is actually a huge amount of Chinese in Africa due to the infrastructure development. So, it is odd how it isn't spreading, but it might just not be being reported or the dry heat makes it more difficult.

The english doctor on youtube said the virus doesnt seem to like the heat and thrives in colder conditions, if true, this is good news as we are coming into spring/summer. Not that it wont snow in may mind you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Edit: Very interesting newspaper. It is a hong kong stationed newspaper owned by Alibaba (Government owned pretty much) for the English speaking people.

SCMP is an odd one. Some of it's articles are pro-China, some are pro-Hong Kong.

It's blocked in China.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

circadian wrote: »
    Are you really taking this thread as an opportunity to take pot shots at "the left"? Get over it for ****s sake.

Some people have destroyed their brains with internet politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Considering cancelling plans to meet a friend next week who will have been through at least two international airports a few days beforehand.
    I'm sure the probability of him being infectious with this is tiny, but as a father, the severity of impact could be unspeakable.

I suppose we'll soon see if there are in fact loads of people infected outside China, who just haven't developed symptoms yet.

Around 31 December: First reported symptoms.
    January 23: Wuhan locked down.

Taking a two-week incubation period, then I suppose the next few days might be particularly telling. Most people who were infected before the lockdown should be showing symptoms by then - and I suppose the greatest number of infected leaving Wuhan would have been in the last few days before the lockdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The english doctor on youtube said the virus doesnt seem to like the heat and thrives in colder conditions, if true, this is good news as we are coming into spring/summer. Not that it wont snow in may mind you!

February can be the coldest month... not much difference in avg temps december - february in Ireland. Dont think we can rely on the weather alas.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

The season was my first thought.

Considering cancelling plans to meet a friend next week who will have been through at least two international airports a few days beforehand.
    I'm sure the probability of him being infectious with this is tiny, but as a father, the severity of impact could be unspeakable.

I suppose we'll soon see if there are in fact loads of people infected outside China, who just haven't developed symptoms yet.

Taking a two-week incubation period, then I suppose the next few days might be particularly telling. Most people who were infected before the lockdown should be showing symptoms by then - and I suppose the greatest number of infected leaving Wuhan would have been in the last few days before the lockdown.

Don't doubt yourself. Your child could be fine with the pneumonia, but there's no harm in not meeting your friend.

Is 1 in Billion too small of a chance for a child?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Dublin airport was the scene of another coronavirus alert today after a man on a flight from Dubai reported flu like symptoms.

A spokesman for Emirates airlines confirmed a passenger on board flight EK161 which was due in Dublin around noon complained of flu-like symptoms.

As a precaution, the Health Service Executive (HSE) was alerted.

After boarding the aircraft, the HSE cleared the passenger and deemed the person was not at risk of the virus.

Bizarre - how did the HSE confirm this.... based on travel history only?

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    SCMP is an odd one. Some of it's articles are pro-China, some are pro-Hong Kong.

It's blocked in China.

I imagine they're Chinese at the moment because of the virus. :P

I'm curious why it wants Hong Kong, the English speaking world, to know that the virus is this bad? I wonder is there a bit of house cleaning going on? As in, infecting dissidents with the virus and letting them die, or just locking down cities to stop the spread of dissedence.

Not a conspiracy theory in my defense, more like looking at figure skating tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

laurah591 wrote: »
    Bizarre - how did the HSE confirm this.... based on travel history only?

Based on a lack of respiratory symptoms perhaps?

I have heard it suggested that East Asians have more ACE2-expressing cells than other groups (eg 5x more than Europeans), and 2019-nCov is believed to use ACE2 as it's host receptor. Not my area of expertise so it could be total nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I posted it a few days ago with the proviso it could have been a translation error but it seems not

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

I have heard it suggested that East Asians have more ACE2-expressing cells than other groups (eg 5x more than Europeans), and 2019-nCov is believed to use ACE2 as it's host receptor. Not my area of expertise so it could be total nonsense.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.01.26.919985v1

The document in question.

• Advertisement

I imagine they're Chinese at the moment because of the virus. :P

I'm curious why it wants Hong Kong, the English speaking world, to know that the virus is this bad? I wonder is there a bit of house cleaning going on? As in, infecting dissidents with the virus and letting them die, or just locking down cities to stop the spread of dissedence.

Not a conspiracy theory in my defense, more like looking at figure skating tbh.

Perhaps there is no particular spin on things at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

PhantomHat wrote: »

Not peer reviewed, and has a criminally low sample size (8 people, 1 of which was Asian).

Perhaps there is no particular spin on things at this stage.

True.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

timmyntc wrote: »
    Not peer reviewed, and has a criminally low sample size (8 people, 1 of which was Asian).

Agreed. Its purely hypothesized. Interesting nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Thank God that the Moscow flight case came back negative.

It still shows how poor our response is. If it had been positive we would have a planeload of potential carriers moving through our population!

With that type of response it is only a matter of time before it happens for real, probably within days now.

• Advertisement

So if you're not Chinese, this virus won't affect you, is that what is being implied, by your good self?

Sound like you've got a great sci-fi movie script there somewhere, maybe send it to Marvel Comics they're always looking for ideas for comics, although add in some zombie stuff, that's all the rage.

I’m asking you why you think one person is carted off into isolation with Coronavirus symptoms ( Chinese) and Another person with “ Flu Symptoms “ from the UAE who have confirmed cases is allowed to Jog on....

Why do you think this was the case?

HSE were concerned enough to show up to both requests by the Airlines.

To me it shows the inconsistencies within the HSE

I’m asking you why you think one person is carted off into isolation with Coronavirus symptoms ( Chinese) and Another person with “ Flu Symptoms “ from the UAE who have confirmed cases is allowed to Jog on....

HSE were concerned enough to show up to both requests by the Airlines.

To me it shows the inconsistencies within the HSE

With the lax behaviour and inconsistencies I'd expect to see our first cases within the next 3 days, I really wouldn't be surprised if the government isn't taking this as seriously as it appears to be.

With the lax behaviour and inconsistencies I'd expect to see our first cases within the next 3 days, I really wouldn't be surprised if the government isn't taking this as seriously as it appears to be.

I just hope that Ireland’s plan is not to use racial profiling to decide who gets tested or not.

During this time, consistency is key in checking everyone with any symptoms where both flu and this new coronavirus overlap.

They came from the epicentre of the basin source of the virus.

You do know there is a reason why medical folks now ask global travellers if you've been near the Hubei provence (where over 11,000) confirmed cases are?
    They won't care if you're BruceLee, just back from Greenland (which has zero cases).

Really it's now spread from there to the rest of China now (17,000 total), as expected, so Chinese will (for better or worse) be subject to additional monitoring when traveling.
    The next biggest region with cases is Japan, with 20 (twenty, two-zero).

But sure, don't let all that get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.

They came from the epicentre of the basin source of the virus.

You do know there is a reason why medical folks now ask global travellers if you've been near the Hubei provence (where over 11,000) confirmed cases are?
    They won't care if you're BruceLee, just back from Greenland (which has zero cases).

Really it's now spread from to the rest of China now (17,000 total), so Chinese will (for better or worse) be subject to additional monitoring when traveling.
    The next biggest region with cases is Japan, with 20 (twenty, two-zero).

But sure, don't let all that get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.

Ah here you snipped the quote and accuse the poster of conspiracy theories instead of quoting the entire context which is their concerns about the approach of the HSE, which given the fact that they handed out leaflets on a flight with possible infection, is warranted concerns.

Ah here you snipped the quote and accuse the poster of conspiracy theories instead of quoting the entire context which is their concerns about the approach of the HSE, which given the fact that they handed out leaflets on a flight with possible infection, is warranted concerns.
    Can understand and agree with any concerns regarding the HSE, everyone would have concerns.

However this poster has now been running a theory implying this is a 'Chinese only flu'
    I.e. It only affects the Chinese. Which is not far off from actually suggesting a synthetic targetted bio-weap.

The fact is within a month or two, somewhere equally populated like India or other 10m+ cities will be in the same situation if flight controls aren't enforced.

Out of interest, at what point what ye support the closing of schools a la China or Vietnam etc.?

Can understand and agree with any concerns regarding the HSE, everyone would have concerns.

However this poster has now been running a theory implying this is a 'Chinese only flu'
    I.e. It only affects the Chinese.
    Which is not far off from actually suggesting a synthetic targetted bio-weap.

The fact is within a month or two, somewhere equally populated like India or other 10m+ cities will be in the same situation if flight controls aren't enforced.

Wtf Lol. Where did you get this from?

I.e. It only affects the Chinese. Which is not far off from actually suggesting a synthetic targetted bio-weap.

I suspect you're confusing that poster with someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The incubation period in most of the studied cases has been 5-7 days. If people have been infected before the lockdown they will more than likely be showing symptoms by now.

Also, it does seem like children are less effected by this. In the study of the first 400 or so known deaths, there were none in the under 15 age bracket. Several children have been shown to be asymptomatic while infected. That makes me feel a bit better, as my child is my first concern in all this too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement