Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

circadian wrote: »
    I suspect you're confusing that poster with someone else.
    Possibly so, there have been some very strange questions on the focus of the Chinese, and previous links to a single poorly referenced study saying it only affects chinese males.

Ah:
    SeaBreezes wrote: »
    On twitter it seems this virus affects Asian males more, but early days yet. Nobody really knows.
    ^ "On twitter is seems"... is never going to be good.

Also some silly questions are why Chinese travellers are being profiled. Like it or not, pretty much every state is taking preventative measures.
    China as x850 more (verified, even more unconfirmed) cases than any other country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    The incubation period in most of the studied cases has been 5-7 days. If people have been infected before the lockdown they will more than likely be showing symptoms by now.

Also, it does seem like children are less effected by this. In the study of the first 400 or so known deaths, there were none in the under 15 age bracket. Several children have been shown to be asymptomatic while infected. That makes me feel a bit better, as my child is my first concern in all this too.

That's lucky and kind of odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

That's lucky and kind of odd.

Sars was similar and if you look at things like chickenpox it's much more severe in adults. It's not unusual for children to fend off viral infections more successfully than adults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I just hope that Ireland’s plan is not to use racial profiling to decide who gets tested or not.

During this time, consistency is key in checking everyone with any symptoms where both flu and this new coronavirus overlap.

The virus doesn’t give a damn if ur black, white, Asian, European,human, or bat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Surely there are much more cases abroad going undetected? How could such a huge number of people in China with such an infectious disease only cause a handful all over the rest of the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

tom1ie wrote: »
    The virus doesn’t give a damn if ur black, white, Asian, European,human, or bat.

No sh!t Sherlock

Below is the what I said that yourself and Accumulator choose to ignore in relation to incoming flights .....
    I just hope that Ireland’s plan is not to use racial profiling to decide who gets tested or not.

During this time, consistency is key in checking everyone with any symptoms where both flu and this new coronavirus overlap.

They will (hopefully) check anyone who's been anywhere near Wuhan/Hubei* within the last 14 days, as they have 11,000+ cases. Guess what? Some of those may well be Chinese.

Now if you're Chinese and flying in from the Antartic after a 3mth stay, guess what, that flight manifestation, and background check will deem you not be of any risk whatsoever.

* However the issue now is that other citiies and regions outside of Wuhan are also getting closed down e.g. there are x5 districts with circa 500 confirmed cases (each), outside of the epicentre of Hubei.

The way things are going, everyone (of any race) who's been in China (anywhere mainland) within at least 14days could likely get tested.

If the Chinese themselves wanted to point fingers, perhaps their own leaders would be a start: The Politburo Standing Committe admitted to "shortcomings and deficiencies" in the country's response to the deadly coronavirus outbreak.
    A crackdown on wildlife markets (where the virus emerged) has been ordered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

wakka12 wrote: »
    Surely there are much more cases abroad going undetected? How could such a huge number of people in China with such an infectious disease only cause a handful all over the rest of the world

That is a worry but perhaps it is because the likely cases are being picked out quickly, knowing their origin. and 'sat' on before they can pass it on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

A question I wanted to throw out there, what about packages from Aliexpress, could they contain the virus? I know there have been reports that the virus is weak on solid flat surfaces, just curious though.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

A question I wanted to throw out there, what about packages from Aliexpress, could they contain the virus? I know there have been reports that the virus is weak on solid flat surfaces, just curious though.

From what I have read the virus won't survive more than 24 hours outside of a living host. So allowing for travel time there would be zero risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Up to 5 days in the right conditions according to "some experts". I certainly wouldn't be risking it. I mean that's pretty much the Simpsons prediction. :D

They will (hopefully) check anyone who's been anywhere near Wuhan/Hubei* within the last 14 days, as they have 11,000+ cases. Guess what? Some of those may well be Chinese.

Now if you're Chinese and flying in from the Antartic after a 3mth stay, guess what, that flight manifestation, and background check will deem you not be of any risk whatsoever.

* However the issue now is that other citiies and regions outside of Wuhan are also getting closed down e.g. there are x5 districts with circa 500 confirmed cases (each), outside of the epicentre of Hubei.

The way things are going, everyone (of any race) who's been in China (anywhere mainland) within at least 14days could likely get tested.

If the Chinese themselves wanted to point fingers, perhaps their own leaders would be a start: The Politburo Standing Committe admitted to "shortcomings and deficiencies" in the country's response to the deadly coronavirus outbreak.
    A crackdown on wildlife markets (where the virus emerged) has been ordered.

Again, I do not know why you think I am highlighting this virus as a Chinese thing.

This virus has such a long incubation period that at this stage there could be hundreds if not 1000s of cases outside of China. Every one person who contracted This virus has the chance to infect 2.67 people more. With so many people getting connecting flights around the world nobody knows who’s sitting beside who and who that person was sitting beside on the previous flight.

I believe we have a right to know what the HSE are making there Judgements on if One person is Quarantined coming in from Moscow and other from a UAE flight is free to go yet both are showing symptoms that are consistent with both flu and this virus.

A 'handful' in the US & Europe, and one in UAE.

Besides, not many folks in Beijing fly back and fourth to Timbuktu.
    again... Conspiracy Theories... ->

There is huge Chinese industry in African countries where a lot of infrastructure is being put in place by a Chinese workforce, so it does very much stand to be affected.

Again, I do not know why you think I am highlighting this virus as a Chinese thing.
    You're not, and that's the problem.
    It is (like it or not), 'a Chinese thing' for the time being, and likely the next month or two.
    This virus has such a long incubation period that at this stage there could be hundreds if not 1000s of cases outside of China.
    1-14 days max (maybe an average 5-7days) really isn't long.
    Nearly 100 tests have been done across the uk in the last two weeks, only one, maybe two, were positve (recent arrivals from China).
    ... With so many people getting connecting flights around the world
    Not many people getting flights out of China this week, nor last. Many major airlines simply refuse to operate from there now.
    I believe we have a right to know what the HSE are making there Judgements on if One person is Quarantined coming in from Moscow and other from a UAE flight is free to go yet both are showing symptoms that are consistent with both flu and this virus.
    Unless you have the background specifics of each individual, it's hard to know. Did the Moscow passenger come from China beforehand? UAE only has 1 case to to date, hardly a risk if came directly from there.

There is huge Chinese industry in African countries where a lot of infrastructure is being put in place by a Chinese workforce, so it does very much stand to be affected.
    Agree, however the main labour workforce would likely be doing fixed contracts e.g. 4wks on, 4wks off, perhaps even longer (6mths on/off) flying back every week would hurt the paypacket.

• Advertisement

saabsaab wrote: »
    That is a worry but perhaps it is because the likely cases are being picked out quickly, knowing their origin. and 'sat' on before they can pass it on?

Yes but even if they are picked out quickly, there are just so few examples. There are so many reports of infected Chinese people who were tourists in other countries for days at a time before their infection was detected or they went to hospital and they apparently didnt infect hardly a single other person? It seems impossible given how infectious it appears to be in China

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

China now want the identity of anyone buying drugs for coughs or fever to be reported centrally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    The incubation period in most of the studied cases has been 5-7 days. If people have been infected before the lockdown they will more than likely be showing symptoms by now.

Also, it does seem like children are less effected by this. In the study of the first 400 or so known deaths, there were none in the under 15 age bracket. Several children have been shown to be asymptomatic while infected. That makes me feel a bit better, as my child is my first concern in all this too.
    CDC does still say the incubation period might be as long as 14 days, based on what has been observed with similar viruses.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/symptoms.html

fritzelly wrote: »
    China now want the identity of anyone buying drugs for coughs or fever to be reported centrally

Hah, smart I suppose, but seems almost dystopian

Hah, smart I suppose, but seems almost dystopian

Yes very dystopian - I wonder if this will stop anyone buying them in case the police come knocking at the door...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Go CCP, go!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Yes very dystopian - I wonder if this will stop anyone buying them in case the police come knocking at the door...

More likely barricading them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

No. There's posts going around Facebook but its nonsense.

Lots of factories would have been on holidays for 2 weeks for Chinese new year as well.

givyjoe wrote: »
    More likely barricading them in.

Thought better of posting that

Go CCP, go!

It’s amazing what they constructed in 10 days

This is a 57 story skyscraper in 20 days, it also shows how they pre build sections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭weisses

All This caused by eating meat ...

China should go Plant based ... Problem solved ;)

Thought better of posting that

Are you kidding? Because I'm not. Theres literally videos of this happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

source.gif

From the information that is known this virus doesnt seem like much of a threat. But then some of the actions of the Chinese government make me think otherwise. Then in America ,CDC says things like this? What is one to think? Much of the world government action seems completely disproprtionate to what appears to possibly be as dangerous as seasonal flu. I dont get it. Swine flu was thought to be deadly at the beginning too but I dont remember the world effectively abandoning Mexico and cutting all trade and transport with it, evacuating citizens, quaratining entire cities, its literally insane measures

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/aggressive-action-necessary-counter-unprecedented-threat-coronavirus-cdc-says-n1128671

Playing safe - if it mutates (which it has with unknowns) into a more aggressive form it could be disastrous

• Advertisement

From the information that is known this virus doesnt seem like much of a threat. But then some of the actions of the Chinese government make me think otherwise. Then in America ,CDC says things like this? What is one to think? Much of the world government action seems completely disproprtionate to what appears to possibly be as dangerous as seasonal flu. I dont get it

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/aggressive-action-necessary-counter-unprecedented-threat-coronavirus-cdc-says-n1128671

Hmmmm, nobody wants an unstable China but everybody wants a weakened China?

I mean both of the main cities were cities of revolt (which is odd for china) and there was even mentions of Wenzhou being the next Hong Kong which could be disastrous for a nuclear power country.

But, on the flip side, China has recieved such a hammering economically and culturally that it might not recover for a decade. China can handle it's internal issues (the virus and dissent), Hong Kong is chastened but still free, and the Allied countries can tap China on the nose.

Tbh, I am sounding a little bit out there in most of my posts, but I have read too many crime novels :D

This is a 57 story skyscraper in 20 days, it also shows how they pre build sections

You should look at ADVChina's video on this. They start falling apart in a few years and, truth be told, it's less a hospital and more a collection of prefabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

What is AdvChina?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Wenzhou schools and universities closed til March 1st? And work except for government institutions is off till feb 17. China are really overreacting to this year's seasonal flu...

Fookin Legends

Corrected your post :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

There are currently 19,843 confirmed cases worldwide, including 426 fatalities.

Big jump.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Big jump.

In perspective - 2500 new confirmed, 21 (?) suspected, 49 cured and 64 dead
    Tho these numbers always increase a bit later on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Advertisement

From the information that is known this virus doesnt seem like much of a threat. But then some of the actions of the Chinese government make me think otherwise. Then in America ,CDC says things like this? What is one to think? Much of the world government action seems completely disproprtionate to what appears to possibly be as dangerous as seasonal flu. I dont get it. Swine flu was thought to be deadly at the beginning too but I dont remember the world effectively abandoning Mexico and cutting all trade and transport with it, evacuating citizens, quaratining entire cities, its literally insane measures

It takes 36 hours to diagnose/confirm coronavirus in the US, as only the CDC in Atlanta is able to do the test. That is not ideal to say the least. If there is such a limited testing bank in the US of all places, where are our tests being done?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

It's basically how many can they test a day.

givyjoe wrote: »
    It takes 36 hours to diagnose/confirm coronavirus in the US, as only the CDC in Atlanta is able to do the test. That is not ideal to say the least. If there is such a limited testing bank in the US of all places, where are our tests being done?!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-new-test-with-faster-results-available-in-ireland-1.4160156

UCD

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Could be anything, I'd imagine everyone in Wuhan is in some state of panic by now. Don't want to be taken from families, afraid they're being lifted by the CCP to be disappeared or something. Many people won't be thinking rationally right now, could be in total denial of having the virus.

Probably someone who was trying to get the truth out my guess - he wasn't going quietly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Reading some of the comments on twitter. Some people have very little brain cells.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭harrylittle

Things like this make you wonder is the sh1t about to hit the fan everywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

More unverified news sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

You never know why someone is not happy being removed. For a benign example, maybe he has a disabled or elderly relative he’s taking care of that is being left behind and he is aware of what happened to that poor 17 year old disabled boy when his dad and brother were lifted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement