Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

That's not reliable in any shape or form tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

That's not reliable in any shape or form tbh.

Yes that channel has an agenda, the video would hold more weight if the other videos on that channel were more balanced.

That's why this thread is more suitable for after hours as it's just a dumping ground for every unverified claim on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭harrylittle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

cloudatlas wrote: »
    More unverified news sources.

Ignore it so. Wait until the CCP lets the BBC back in to give us the big update. Meanwhile we can all engage our brain and judge for ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Very sad video.

No reason to read anything more into it than what we know. He's being forcibly taken away and fears he will die.

skimpydoo wrote: »
    infowars style nonsense? Hard to avoid it these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Jesus christ are all the headers just clicking into a YouTube echo chamber and dumping every link they find here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

skimpydoo wrote: »

Sh1t is the operative word.

*Entertainment purposes only* as they say themselves.

circadian wrote: »
    Jesus christ are all the headers just clicking into a YouTube echo chamber and dumping every link they find here?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

While the number of confirmed infections today is similar to the last few days there was a big increase in number of recoveries, serious conditions, critical conditions, and deaths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

It's basically how many can they test a day.

Where did you get that info?

The CIA say it's the most advanced bio weapons facility in China.

Why do you think China put such extreme measures in place so quick?

Any update on the bio weapon?
    Out of all the posters on this thread it's extremely reckless for the CIA to only inform one of us.

Someone suggested a separate thread for the CT stuff. Personally I find them a bit crass, given the subject. Go back to proving the earth is flat or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Someone suggested a separate thread for the CT stuff. Personally I find them a bit crass, given the subject. Go back to proving the earth is flat or something.

Ironic anti-vaxxers. Imagine that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

You could probably ignore the suspected cases etc, those figures are unlikely to be accurate - simply because they don't have the bandwidth to process all the testing. We know there are lots more infected who are coping at home.

The number of deaths and releases is probably more accurate. As is the number of critical patients. On what we're seeing, there are hopeful signs, despite deaths continuing to increase.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/03/nih-dr-anthony-fauci-25percent-of-china-coronavirus-cases-very-serious.html

25% of Chinese infections require hospitalisation, even if the true number of infections is 10x times higher at over 200,000, this would still make it twice as dangerous as regular flu, which hospitalises around 1% of patients.

Where did you get that info?

Hubei officials over the past week (incuding yesterday or the day before), mountains of unverified sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

wakka12 wrote: »
    While the number of confirmed infections today is similar to the last few days there was a big increase in number of recoveries, serious conditions, critical conditions, and deaths

The number that can be tested daily to just confirm cases is limited by available testing kits and manpower. Something between 2,000 and 3000 daily can be diagnosed at the moment apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Wow, just shows how difficult it is to draw conclusions in a dynamic situation. The German cases were not caused by an asymptomatic person.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/02/paper-non-symptomatic-patient-transmitting-coronavirus-wrong

"Chinese researchers had previously suggested asymptomatic people might transmit the virus but had not presented clear-cut evidence. “There’s no doubt after reading [the NEJM] paper that asymptomatic transmission is occurring,” Anthony Fauci, director of the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told journalists. “This study lays the question to rest.”

But now, it turns out that information was wrong. The Robert Koch Institute (RKI), the German government’s public health agency, has written a letter to NEJM to set the record straight, even though it was not involved in the paper. "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Ignore it so. Wait until the CCP lets the BBC back in to give us the big update. Meanwhile we can all engage our brain and judge for ourselves.

No we can't because a) we don't speak Chinese b) we don't know if what they are shooting in some cases is actually what they say is happening c) we don't know if it's fake in some cases because they aren't trusted news sources.

No we can't because a) we don't speak Chinese b) we don't know if what they are shooting in some cases is actually what they say is happening c) we don't know if it's fake in some cases because they aren't trusted news sources.

The CCP are not a trusted news source for goodness sake.

hmmm wrote: »
    Wow, just shows how difficult it is to draw conclusions in a dynamic situation. The German cases were not caused by an asymptomatic person.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/02/paper-non-symptomatic-patient-transmitting-coronavirus-wrong

"Chinese researchers had previously suggested asymptomatic people might transmit the virus but had not presented clear-cut evidence. “There’s no doubt after reading [the NEJM] paper that asymptomatic transmission is occurring,” Anthony Fauci, director of the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told journalists. “This study lays the question to rest.”

But now, it turns out that information was wrong. The Robert Koch Institute (RKI), the German government’s public health agency, has written a letter to NEJM to set the record straight, even though it was not involved in the paper. "

Okay, I think we can all agree that we can trust the germans here. I have no idea why, but I think it's true.

This is getting stranger and stranger

I mentioned earlier how world government responses seemed absolutely disproportionate to the apparent threat of this virus. State of Kerala in India declares a goddamn state of disaster over three new cases? What the actual F? There MUST be something about this disease that is not being released to the wider public

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/coronavirus-in-india-live-news-latest-updates/liveblog/73891111.cms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

No sh!t Sherlock

Below is the what I said that yourself and Accumulator choose to ignore in relation to incoming flights .....

I wasn’t disagreeing with ya chief. Don’t get those knickers in a twist!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

The number that can be tested daily to just confirm cases is limited by available testing kits and manpower. Something between 2,000 and 3000 daily can be diagnosed at the moment apparently.

So that means that every day they are practically maxing out on new cases. If they were able to test more the numbers would be higher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

hmmm wrote: »

Something doesn't seem right here - how did it spread so quickly in China if you are not contagious during the incubation period, even when they started locking down the place the infections etc rate hasn't really changed much

Yea I meant to say I wasn't defending that video in particular. I actually agree with that. the text ones and ranting CT ones are a waste of time. But the ones that are just first hand footage of whats going are useful imo. Each on their own is not anything but altogether we can get some sort of picture of what is being completely censored, what is behind the media blackout and what not even the WHO can get anywhere near.

Speaking of which, I wonder when the WHO will get in on the ground...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Okay, I think we can all agree that we can trust the germans here. I have no idea why, but I think it's true.

This is getting stranger and stranger

The woman lied about being asymptomatic and was taking anti fever medication while attending the work meetings. In many cases we are relying on the infected person to be truthful about their symptoms and contacts so for that reason it may not always be 100% accurate. Maybe she felt guilty or something for exposing others

Edit: she didnt lie apparently. I had read that she did before. The researchers didnt even speak to her before coming to the conclusion that she was asymptomatic. That's kind of shocking really.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Something doesn't seem right here - how did it spread so quickly in China if you are not contagious during the incubation period, even when they started locking down the place the infections etc rate hasn't really changed much

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that means that it doesn't spread from people who aren't showing symptoms rather than people who are just in the incubation period?...I am very confused.

• Advertisement

Im going to guess, but I'd say a Chinese quarantine makes Mountjoy Prison look like Caesars Palace, in Vegas.

Would you be open to going?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

More unverified news sources.

Yeah, I'm sure CNN will have a sit down interview with the doctors on the front line any day now.

What purpose would faking such a video/recording serve?

Edit:fair point on the English subtitles.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that means that it doesn't spread from people who aren't showing symptoms rather than people who are just in the incubation period?...I am very confused.

Well they are saying if you have no symptoms you can't spread it but then later on it says sic "we're not saying it doesn't happen but it didn't happen on this occasion"

So...

If you have caught the virus and are asymptomatic, you are in the incubation phase. Which apparently can still be contagious. But as the viral load is just building up, you will be less contagious than somebody showing symptoms. Some studies have concluded that the incubation phase is certainly contagious but unlikely to be a big contributor to spreading for that reason, but also the fact that an aysmptomatic person will most likely not be coughing and sneezing too much and spreading the disease, it is most likely just a danger to spouses of the infected people who will be sharing very close contact and bodily fluids.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    The woman lied about being asymptomatic and was taking anti fever medication while attending the work meetings. In many cases we are relying on the infected person to be truthful about their symptoms and contacts so for that reason it may not always be 100% accurate. Maybe she felt guilty or something for exposing others

Edit: she didnt lie apparently. I had read that she did before. The researchers didnt even speak to her before coming to the conclusion that she was asymptomatic. That's kind of shocking really.

Hmmmm, you know Greta's going to Poland? One of my ex-students was telling me that if you follow who's paying the camera crew, you can find out the agenda. And, as a man who grew up in Poland/sattelite state/soviet union/USSR's bedtime teddy bear, I kind of give his paranoia credence.

So, where did the study come from, which journal published it, who studied it and, most importantly, what other studies have they realeased. Although, maybe it's nothing and just a random fluke.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Well they are saying if you have no symptoms you can't spread it but then later on it says sic "we're not saying it doesn't happen but it didn't happen on this occasion"

So...

In fairness, that's kind of a german reply. I heard they use rulers when putting full stops ;)

The Earth isn't flat?!?

Sadly,and unsurprisingly I guess, sketchy **** coming out of China. Doctors were apparently ordered not to disclose the fact that they were ill to the public.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/eyg39j/in_early_days_of_infection_wuhan_hospitals_hid/

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Are you seriously suggesting people should just believe every single thing they're spoon-fed by the media and not question anything at all? I prefer to think critically and make my own mind up based on all the available information, of which we are scant in supply in relation to this outbreak.
    Of course all possibilities should be looked at and questioned, particularly the fact a laboratory which happened to investigate SARS and Coronaviruses is situated right at the heart of the outbreak...the future is not looking so bright with such sheep at the wheel...

Two of the American cases, a couple in their 50's in California, have both been hospitalised. Though it is not clear whether it is just for quaratine or because their condition worsened.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/eydnqe/2_people_in_california_who_were_previously/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

^ is that the lad that was banned off twitter?

'Official' death toll in China now stands at 425 (increase of 19% on yesterday).

Guardian blog live linky

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/feb/04/coronavirus-live-updates-china-wuhan-outbreak-death-toll-latest-news-update

A law professor who has transitioned to being a virology expert - seems legit

^ is that the lad that was banned off twitter?
    yea they were banned for doxxing a scientist whose information was available online after a buzzfeed reporter kicked up a stink

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Possibly so, there have been some very strange questions on the focus of the Chinese, and previous links to a single poorly referenced study saying it only affects chinese males.

Ah:
    ^ "On twitter is seems"... is never going to be good.

Also some silly questions are why Chinese travellers are being profiled. Like it or not, pretty much every state is taking preventative measures.
    China as x850 more (verified, even more unconfirmed) cases than any other country.

Hold a minute there, stop putting your filter on my comments. You seem determined to put a racist spin on this.

I was thinking of the paper that was the first to indicate the hiv component of the virus, which you dismissed, which the Thai docs seem to have capitalised on, treating the infection with a cocktail of flu and hiv drugs, but they also mentioned an AC3 weakness.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.01.26.919985v

ASIAN MALES have 5 TIMES the ACE2 RECEPTOR CELLS - Vital Fact. According to published research (see 2 links below) – this likely makes Asian men literally 5 times more susceptible to this kind of virus

Scientists: Asians at much higher risk due to ACE2 cells " This might explain the observation that the new Coronavirus pandemic and previous SARS-Cov pandemic are concentrated in the Asian

https://mobile.twitter.com/HarmlessYardDog/status/1223275121403662337

Like I said, twitter source and so many publications are being published so fast. (Which I applaud great to see the global scientific community so focused.)

But my point wasn't that these poor men are more infectious, we are ALL infectious.
    It's just that unfortunately complications maybe higher in these cases. The lancet journal article seems to support this. But as I said, early days yet.

These are all variants known to positively influence the amount of ACE2-expressing cells:

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/snp/rs233575
    East Asian A=1.00
    African A=0.988
    South Asian A=0.82
    American A=0.79
    Europe A=0.66
    Check out full tweet for all the stats, and like I said it's twitter!
    Though they do seem to be getting their info from reliable dourcs.

But your insinuations of racism are not correct. That's YOUR filter. I was only pointing out that viruses can affect different gene pools differently, same as Spanish flu.

Here's a new video

Could be true, could be false, but I wonder why the hospitals are so empty? Perhaps they have seperate hospitals for seperate situations?

further update, 750 new cases, that's 3,235 new cases in the last 24 hours,
    total confirmed 20,438 on Chinese mainland, another 15 in HK, 8 in Macao, and 10 in Taiwan

Here's a new video

Could be true, could be false, but I wonder why the hospitals are so empty? Perhaps they have seperate hospitals for seperate situations?

Video is over 10 days old

• Advertisement

Here's a new video
    Could be true, could be false, but I wonder why the hospitals are so empty

here's a picture of a construction worker taking a nap after completion of the new hospital in Wuhan,
    (or maybe he's dead? who knows?? he doesn't seem to be moving at all...)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement