Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

bb12 wrote: »
    source?

Dominic Raab (Foreign Secretary and toff) advising British to leave China via commercial flights if they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

Yurt! wrote: »
    Fairly drastic. Perhaps the UK government knows something about the spread of infections that others don't.

The UK would have a fairly generous amount of intelligence assets on the ground there so this is worth paying attention to.

maybe the scientists studying the 2 infected cases in the UK found something that in the samples that concerned them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Fairly drastic. Perhaps the UK government knows something about the spread of infections that others don't.

The UK would have a fairly generous amount of intelligence assets on the ground there so this is worth paying attention to.

The uk has 30,000 british 'citizens' there, perhaps some remnants from the old H'Kong days, and many dual-nationality or with secondary passports.

It's fine telling them to leave, but they would likely need chartered flights (very few chartered) and a shed load more of those Horsemen buses to the Hotel d'Wirral.
    If asking them to get chartered then it spreads the risk, e.g. Entering another country beside China, then getting multiple transfer flights towards Heathrow or somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

UK Health Secretary announced £20 million fund to research vaccines for coronavirus and similar diseases.
    He warned [ UK ] will be seeing the coronavirus for months to come.
    Approx. 500 Brits from 1200 returned from Wuhan are unaccounted for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

The uk has 30,000 british 'citizens' there, perhaps some remnants from the old H'Kong days, and many dual-nationality or with secondary passports.

It's fine telling them to leave, but they would likely need chartered flights (very few chartered) and a shed load more of those Horsemen buses to the Hotel d'Wirral.
    If asking them to get chartered then it spreads the risk, e.g. Entering another country beside China, then getting multiple transfer flights towards Heathrow or somewhere.

They're not advising they leave Hong Kong or Macau. The warning is for mainland China only.

There are a lot of British in China in a lot of different lines of work. I would have put 30'000 as quite a low figure. China doesn't allow dual-nationals.

Raab saying that nationals remaining in Hubei / Wuhan will be chartered out if they wish. Evreyone else has to leave on their own coin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I don't think that's drastic at all. Its a government reacting to a global significant and alarming, whats looking like a pandemic now.

Action needs to be taken. Not wait and see.
    As previously stated on this thread, nobody really believes the Chinese numbers and therefore isn't going to risk their citizens.....
    I don't believe that the governments know any more that they are letting on. The actions in this case speak volumes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I might be wrong but I don`t think the authorities in this country have given any advice at all regarding travel to China or anywhere in the Far East for that matter.

I might be wrong but I don`t think the authorities in this country have given any advice at all regarding travel to China or anywhere in the Far East for that matter.

The DFAT maintains travel advice for every country.

The advice for China atm is avoid non-essential travel. Probably will change up the advice to do not travel if things deteriorate any further you'd think.

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/china/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

China doesn't allow dual-nationals.
    So it seems, very strange approach even if you entered on a uk passport:
    https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/china
    If you have both British and Chinese nationality you may be treated as a Chinese citizen by local authorities, even if you enter China on your British passport. If this is the case, the British Embassy may not be able to offer you consular assistance

Perhaps the advice is also in light of many airlines suspending flights to China. I.e. Now's a good time to exit, if you were thinking of doing so anyway within the year.
    Still it may create some panic and lead to further spread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51357030

I'm finding it hard to give a **** about this or even why it's considered newsworthy considering the sheer scale of what is unfolding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

I didn't think it'd be necessary to add an /s to that post...

Was that towards NY post or your post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I’d be expecting an upgrade of the warning from the WHO at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

circadian wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51357030

I'm finding it hard to give a **** about this or even why it's considered newsworthy considering the sheer scale of what is unfolding.

Those shutdowns are going to have a massive impact on everyone - the amount of stuff made in China is massive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

auspicious wrote: »
    UK Health Secretary announced £20 million fund to research vaccines for coronavirus and similar diseases.
    He warned [ UK ] will be seeing the coronavirus for months to come.
    Approx. 500 Brits from 1200 returned from Wuhan are unaccounted for.

Hmm. Bring on the summer quick!

fritzelly wrote: »
    Those shutdowns are going to have a massive impact on everyone - the amount of stuff made in China is massive

The Chinese economy is under huge pressure on several fronts. This could be a watershed year for the country.

I've been traveling to and from the country for about a decade now, and the amount of dumb-luck new wealth that has been created is off the charts. People that were living in urban squalor in Shenzhen / Shanghai / Beijing 15 years ago became millionaires via property handouts from the government when things were privatized.

You see kids of 19/20 driving around in Lambos and their parents buying them places in American universities even though they're as thick as two planks.

I think the music will stop this year, just as it did in Japan in the early 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Is there any information about who is being tested for the virus, is it people that have attended hospitals or does it include people at home?
    If it’s 20000 that have attended hospitals that’s a huge number of people that feel bad enough to have to go to hospital no? Maybe they’re testing at local clinics too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

In early January, authorities in the Chinese city of Wuhan were trying to keep news of a new coronavirus under wraps. When one doctor tried to warn fellow medics about the outbreak, police paid him a visit and told him to stop. A month later he has been hailed as a hero, after he posted his story from a hospital bed.

"Hello everyone, this is Li Wenliang, an ophthalmologist at Wuhan Central Hospital," the post begins.

Dr Li was working at the centre of the outbreak in December when he noticed seven cases of a virus that he thought looked like Sars - the virus that led to a global epidemic in 2003. The cases were thought to come from the Huanan Seafood market in Wuhan and the patients were in quarantine in his hospital.

On 30 December he sent a message to fellow doctors in a chat group warning them about the outbreak and advising they wear protective clothing to avoid infection.

What Dr Li didn't know then was that the disease that had been discovered was an entirely new coronavirus.

After falling sick, Dr Li said on Weibo that he wondered why authorities were still saying no medical staff had been infected. Four days later he was summoned to the Public Security Bureau where he was told him to sign a letter. In the letter he was accused of "making false comments" that had "severely disturbed the social order".

"We solemnly warn you: If you keep being stubborn, with such impertinence, and continue this illegal activity, you will be brought to justice - is that understood?" Underneath in Dr Li's handwriting is written: "Yes, I do."

He was one of eight people who police said were being investigated for "spreading rumours".

At the end of January, Dr Li published a copy of the letter on Weibo and explained what had happened. In the meantime, local authorities had apologised to him but that apology came too late.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51364382

Translation of this letter
    _110757353_wuhandocletter2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Have you seen any of their conferences? They're a mouthpiece for China now, so don't hold your breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

After this crisis is over, the WHO needs to be disbanded.

It is worse than useless.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

This is concerning, he was coughing since the 7th, hospitalised on the 10th and after several negative tests was diagnosed on the 30th

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Have you seen any of their conferences? They're a mouthpiece for China now, so don't hold your breath.

Like all international multilateral orgs, China has stepped up their funding as the US retreats. I would expect nothing less that the WHO would say nothing but nice things about the PRC

Taiwan and Thailand are not looking great - more confirmed cases

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Coronavirus is currently not a pandemic, but a "mask alone is not enough," says WHO official
    he coronavirus outbreak is not being considered a pandemic by World Health Organization (WHO) officials who are hopeful that transmission of the virus can be contained.

The agency acknowledged that it is challenging to contain the virus because of global mass movement, but trust that the control measures in place will stop transmission.

"We believe it can be done with containment measures currently in place," Sylvie Briand, director of the Infectious Hazards Management Department at the WHO, said on Tuesday.

"We are not in a pandemic," she said, explaining that the virus is currently considered to be an epidemic with multiple locations. "We will try to extinguish the transmission in each of these," she said.

To help reduce continued spread of the coronavirus, Briand highlighted that masks alone are "not enough" and urged people to also wash their hands regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The Chinese economy is under huge pressure on several fronts. This could be a watershed year for the country.

I've been traveling to and from the country for about a decade now, and the amount of dumb-luck new wealth that has been created is off the charts. People that were living in urban squalor in Shenzhen / Shanghai / Beijing 15 years ago became millionaires via property handouts from the government when things were privatized.

You see kids of 19/20 driving around in Lambos and their parents buying them places in American universities even though they're as thick as two planks.

I think the music will stop this year, just as it did in Japan in the early 90s.

The economic numbers, funny money, bank bailouts to beat the band etc. People essentially took their word for everything as long as it helped them. But nobody will accept their currency because it's trash, how's that makes sense?

It's catching up with them big time. But what happens when there's an evolving crisis and the guiding beliefs of a billion+ people just fall away and the government loses their authority.

Time to prepare lads. South America and Africa don't have cases? Right...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

A report in the New York Times claims the situation in China is much worse than is being revealed
    https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus-china-outbreak-epidemic-wuhan-1485354
    Long Jian, 32, told The New York Times his father had to wait a week and visit half a dozen hospitals before he could even get a coronavirus test.

"The situation that we've seen is much worse than what has been officially reported," he told the paper.

"Those who can get diagnosed and treated are the lucky ones. In our neighborhood, many who weren't able to get diagnosed ended up dying at home."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Site with updated stats and information on the Coronavirus

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
    Wuhan (the city where the virus originated) is the largest city in Central China, with a population of over 11 million people. The city, on January 23, shut down transport links. Following Wuhan lockdown, the city of Huanggang was also placed in quarantine, and the city of Ezhou closed its train stations. This means than 18 million people have been placed in isolation. The World Health Organization (WHO) said cutting off a city as large as Wuhan is "unprecedented in public health history."...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSCcknjlqKQ&feature=youtu.be
    Real or fake? Several videos circulating of body bags being left throughout hospitals in Wuhan. Crazy if true, but at the same time, one of the shots shows bodies being laid across waiting area chairs? Could they really have so little space left that theyd leave them there, of all places, where potentially non sick people will later be sitting?

If they are legitimate videos though then it would be extremely difficult to believe the current official death toll

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSCcknjlqKQ&feature=youtu.be
    Real or fake? Several videos circulating of body bags being left throughout hospitals in Wuhan. Crazy if true, but at the same time, one of the shots shows bodies being laid across waiting area chairs? Could they really have so little space left that theyd leave them there, of all places, where potentially non sick people will later be sitting?

Seen a different video showing the same situation. Also another purporting the place is covered in smoke due to the constant cremations
    They should add proof like a newspaper front page

Seen a different video showing the same situation. Also another purporting the place is covered in smoke due to the constant cremations

Well that sounds super fake about the smoke. I'm sure any crematorium design worth it's salt has a smoke ventilation system that doesnt funnel smoke indoors..fs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Just go on twitter and look for the # Coronavirus. Seriously worrying video after video after video. Christ I hope they're all fake.

It looks an awful like this lockdown has come too late, and the damage was already done in the first few weeks of the outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Well that sounds super fake about the smoke. I'm sure any crematorium design worth it's salt has a smoke ventilation system that doesnt funnel smoke indoors..fs

Im sure he meant the air outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

We're a few weeks into this now and there are still a lot of unanswered questions. They managed to map this virus already but still no real advice on how to stay safe apart from wash your hands

I wanna know how long it survives on surfaces, how close do you have to be to an infected person to be contaminated...what is the course of the illness...what is the recovery.... What are the after effects.... how long does it take to run its course in the body...We were waiting for cases outside China to get the truthful information.... But theres nearly 200 cases now and I for one am none the wiser...I would have expected more from western authorities

We're a few weeks into this now and there are still a lot of unanswered questions. They managed to map this virus already but still no real advice on how to stay safe apart from wash your hands

I wanna know how long it survives on surfaces, how close do you have to be to an infected person to be contaminated...what is the course of the illness...what is the recovery.... What are the after effects.... how long does it take to run its course in the body...We were waiting for cases outside China to get the truthful information.... But theres nearly 200 cases now and I for one am none the wiser...I would have expected more from western authorities

Maybe it's difficult to the coordinate the information because while 200 is quite a lot most countries only have a handful of cases each?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

No reports from North Korea at all, I wonder if that's the safest Asian country or is it basically no one can get in or its media even more secretive than China's.

Edit: Actually there's a report from four days ago about NK beefing up their security at the border. https://thediplomat.com/2020/02/north-korea-beefs-up-measures-to-prevent-coronavirus-outbreak/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

They don't know yet. Its only been a few weeks. Scientists and doctors are not magicians and they cannot yet give out definitive information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

givyjoe wrote: »
    Im sure he meant the air outside.

Of course he did. If it were inside it would not be visible...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No reports from North Korea at all, I wonder if that's the safest Asian country or is it basically no one can get in or its media even more secretive than China's.

Edit: Actually there's a report from four days ago about NK beefing up their security at the border. https://thediplomat.com/2020/02/north-korea-beefs-up-measures-to-prevent-coronavirus-outbreak/

Maybe Kim Jong-un got the population there to pull all their teeth out.

• Advertisement

They've banned foreigners going to China? Holy hell, as far as I'm aware, China is the only exit point (via air or rail) out of NK.

You wouldn't want to have been on your hollybobs in Pyeongyang hearing that news.

https://news-yahoo-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/brazil-draws-plan-evacuate-nationals-121616840.html?usqp=mq331AQCKAE%3D&amp_js_v=0.1#aoh=15808301635916&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=Fonte%3A%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fnews.yahoo.com%2Fbrazil-draws-plan-evacuate-nationals-121616840.html
    Brazil declares state of emergency over growing threat of coronavirus, crazy that the world is like this at the moment, you wouldnt even think anything was happening in Ireland if you didnt follow this thread or the reddit thread

China is also forecast to go into economic recession in the first quarter of 2020, due ot the coronavirus quaratine

http://www.chinanews.com/sh/2020/02-04/9078187.shtml
    28 year old doctor in Wuhan dies of exhaustion. How absolutely awful, RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

That's so sad, article said he died of cardiac arrest; was he possibly infected with virus? as opposed to exhaustion.

Perhaps but severe stress probably combined with no sleep for days on end can trigger a cardiac arrest especially in somebody who might be susceptible to it, with a genetic heart condition, which is surprisingly common

Serpentza? I think I first saw that in his youtube channell :)

imfml wrote: »
    This is concerning, he was coughing since the 7th, hospitalised on the 10th and after several negative tests was diagnosed on the 30th

Most probably infected during the hospitalisation tbh. Man, this virus situation does have some scary possibilities for an authoritarian country. This man is causing troubles/has american affiliations/is a head honcho of his community that has protested against china, I guess he'll have a fever from a device that will not be verified due to crissi and be isolated with people with a virus. I guess the balls in his court if he wants to change, or perhaps succumb to a virus. None of the people involved killed him, they just had other people to help :P

It sounds strange, but imagine if Stalin was in the same situation. Again, just a possibility rather than a CT :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

https://news-yahoo-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/brazil-draws-plan-evacuate-nationals-121616840.html?usqp=mq331AQCKAE%3D&amp_js_v=0.1#aoh=15808301635916&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=Fonte%3A%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fnews.yahoo.com%2Fbrazil-draws-plan-evacuate-nationals-121616840.html
    Brazil declares state of emergency over growing threat of coronavirus, crazy that the world is like this at the moment, you wouldnt even think anything was happening in Ireland if you didnt follow this thread or the reddit thread

China is also forecast to go into economic recession in the first quarter of 2020, due ot the coronavirus quaratine

Unfortunately Ireland is reactive rather than proactive.

Mark my words, The following headline is on the way when we start getting positive cases

" Government Departments lay blame on each other for Irelands coronavirus epidemic "

I think they don't want people to be bying all the masks leading to a shortage imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

That mans name? Pat Mustard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Repatriation flights where people are let go afterwards are not a great idea. Belgian woman on a French flights where they let them all go home if non-symptomatic tested negative and then developed symptoms and tested positive for the virus. From The Guardian:
    A Belgian woman who has just tested positive for coronavirus was on the same French repatriation flight that brought back 11 UK evacuees from Wuhan.

The woman was one of nine Belgians on board the flight, Belgium’s health agency said.

It was a French chartered flight evacuated more than 250 people from 30 countries including the UK. The French plane first landed at a military airbase in Istres, southern France. The non-French evacuees were then flown to their respective countries.

Twenty evacuees presented some coronavirus symptoms and stayed at the military airbase to allow test to be carried out.

The Belgian woman who has tested positive showed no signs symptoms of the virus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement