Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

3o578r.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    HSE Pic

If coronavirus affects windows 7 we're definitely all fucked...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I wonder if the Irish people in China are thinking about getting out after the British foreign secretary advised Brits to leave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

fritzelly wrote: »
    Taiwan and Thailand are not looking great - more confirmed cases

I was actually talking to a recruiter in Thailand and he was telling me that they aren't really worried about it and are not really thinking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I was actually talking to a recruiter in Thailand and he was telling me that they aren't really worried about it and are not really thinking about it.

Well of course he'd tell you that.. he's a recruiter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.asiatimes.com/2020/02/article/trio-of-super-spreaders-stoke-fear-in-hong-kong/
    Symptomatic couple and their daughter from Wuhan holiday in Hong Kong for seven days, stay in three hotels, before being forcibly quaratined. Deliberately evaded temperature checks, a butler in the hotel alerted the authorities of their symptoms/illness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭circadian

Unfortunately Ireland is reactive rather than proactive.

Mark my words, The following headline is on the way when we start getting positive cases

" Government Departments lay blame on each other for Irelands coronavirus epidemic "

I've been in touch with my TD about it. Thing is most of them are out campaigning, there's practically noone at the wheel and we're headed straight for a brick wall if the previous alerts are anything to go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,730 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Actually meant Thailand and Japan but see Singapore has overtaken Japan
    This is how it started in Wuhan - could be just seeing the start of an emergency in those countries

circadian wrote: »
    I've been in touch with my TD about it. Thing is most of them are out campaigning, there's practically noone at the wheel and we're headed straight for a brick wall if the previous alerts are anything to go by.

Doctor of immunology from the Mater was on the radio the other day. They have a quarantine ward all set up - with 6 beds. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Doctor of immunology from the Mater was on the radio the other day. They have a quarantine ward all set up - with 6 beds. :rolleyes:

Tax cuts and coronavirus for everyone.

• Advertisement

laurah591 wrote: »
    That's so sad, article said he died of cardiac arrest; was he possibly infected with virus? as opposed to exhaustion.

Viral myocarditis??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://www.asiatimes.com/2020/02/article/trio-of-super-spreaders-stoke-fear-in-hong-kong/
    Symptomatic couple and their daughter from Wuhan holiday in Hong Kong for seven days, stay in three hotels, before being forcibly quaratined. Deliberately evaded temperature checks, a butler in the hotel alerted the authorities of their symptoms/illness

Wtf is wrong with people? Such blatant disregard for anyone else. Selfish pricks.

I'm getting pretty concerned about Vietnam with its tenth case now.

Eight people went to the training in Wuhan, five have the virus, and now someone who visited one of them on lunar new year's eve has it. They came back to Vietnam on the 17th. The amount of people these people would have been in contact with around the new year is practically impossible to account for. They'd have been crowded around at the fireworks show, they'd have been giving out lucky money envelopes to all of their young family members, and they'd have spent days visiting relatives having communal meals together.

This is just 60km away and I have dozens of students who went back there there for the new year and would have been there till last weekend.

Eight people went to the training in Wuhan, five have the virus, and now someone who visited one of them on lunar new year's eve has it. They came back to Vietnam on the 17th. The amount of people these people would have been in contact with around the new year is practically impossible to account for. They'd have been crowded around at the fireworks show, they'd have been giving out lucky money envelopes to all of their young family members, and they'd have spent days visiting relatives having communal meals together.

This is just 60km away and I have dozens of students who went back there there for the new year and would have been there till last weekend.

When are you starting work back? I'd definitely take at least 2 weeks off to see what's happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Wtf is wrong with people? Such blatant disregard for anyone else. Selfish pricks.

They should be on manslaughter charges for doing that.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

They should be on manslaughter charges for doing that.

How many more people have done similar, in God knows how many locations.

Sure, why not take a month off? Unless you're in an international school I doubt it's going to hurt you.

On the flip side, I genuinely don't think you have anything to worry about. Just try and get a good private healtchare so that you can have a dedicated team if the absurdly worst case scenario of the hospital getting swamped occurs.

On another note, I am curious about the Thai people's ethnicities if they were infected. Thailand has an interesting ethnographic background where a lot of the people have Chinese ancestry but around 14 percent are classed as 'thai-chinese' and have more closer genetic links.

So, to sum up, it would be interesting to know due to the theories that it is affecting chinese people more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

bb12 wrote: »
    We're a few weeks into this now and there are still a lot of unanswered questions. They managed to map this virus already but still no real advice on how to stay safe apart from wash your hands

I wanna know how long it survives on surfaces, how close do you have to be to an infected person to be contaminated...what is the course of the illness...what is the recovery.... What are the after effects.... how long does it take to run its course in the body...We were waiting for cases outside China to get the truthful information.... But theres nearly 200 cases now and I for one am none the wiser...I would have expected more from western authorities

Things that all remain to be answered, of course. But if we just study the common cold, which is most often caused by a rhinovirus or (to most healthy individuals) a harmless Coronavirus. I believe one of the commonest ways for those to spread is our unconscious habit of rubbing our eyes, where our fingers have come into contact with the virus through touching an object which got infected by virus through someone else’s contaminated hands. Door handles, rails etc. Eye/mouth/nose > hand > object > hand > eye/mouth. Of course sneezing can cause it too, but I have seen the hand to eye thing being highlighted on, I think, Trust Me I’m a Doctor, and if I recall correctly it was the eye which is very much involved in the acquisition.
    Those particular viruses can travel from eye through ducts into nasopharynx. Now Novel Coronavirus might or might not spread in a similar way, or could be more infectious and spread mainly through air droplet by sneezing and coughing in addition to hand contact.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    When are you starting work back? I'd definitely take at least 2 weeks off to see what's happening.

Meant to be next Monday but a person-to-person transmission so close to here makes me think the government may push it back more, similar to pretty much all of China from what I gather. I guess the next few days will be the decider.

I may decide to take it off. But it's not like anyone outside of schools is doing much differently. Life carries on as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

givyjoe wrote: »
    How many more people have done similar, in God knows how many locations.

Story already linked in this thread.

There was the Chinese couple in Australia yesterday, who when they became symptomatic lied about their movements withing the country. Their movements were only discovered when the Australian authorities confiscated their phones.

Turned out they had attended an auction and been on a site seeing tour over the previous two days.

I think it's understandable that the Chinese in these cases are fearful of repercussions for indiscretions considering where they are coming from. At home they could literally be disappeared. But yea, selfish too. Understandably selfish.

Story already linked in this thread.

There was the Chinese couple in Australia yesterday, who when they became symptomatic lied about their movements withing the country. Their movements were only discovered when the Australian authorities confiscated their phones.

Turned out they had attended an auction and been on a site seeing tour over the previous two days.

I think it's understandable that the Chinese in these cases are fearful of repercussions for indiscretions considering where they are coming from. At home they could literally be disappeared. But yea, selfish too. Understandably selfish.

Indeed, especially if you are living in China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Sure, why not take a month off? Unless you're in an international school I doubt it's going to hurt you.

On the flip side, I genuinely don't think you have anything to worry about. Just try and get a good private healtchare so that you can have a dedicated team if the absurdly worst case scenario of the hospital getting swamped occurs.

On another note, I am curious about the Thai people's ethnicities if they were infected. Thailand has an interesting ethnographic background where a lot of the people have Chinese ancestry but around 14 percent are classed as 'thai-chinese' and have more closer genetic links.

So, to sum up, it would be interesting to know due to the theories that it is affecting chinese people more.

25 cases so far, of which 19 were chinese nationals. of the thais 4 had direct contact with infected chinese. they aren't too sure about the other 2. Thailand gets a lot of chinese tourists so no real surprise that they have the next biggest outbreak after china.

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/02/04/thailand-confirms-six-new-coronavirus-cases-including-four-thais.html

Most likely he caught it after going to the hospital and the first time was a normal cold or food related.

I may decide to take it off. But it's not like anyone outside of schools is doing much differently. Life carries on as normal.

Which would make you feel worse, someone of the street getting sick or yourself? I would put yourself first and, imo, you should enjoy the advantage that you have (having a skillset and perhaps a little bit of extra money).

There's nothing wrong with it and playing it safe. You can quite your job, go to a smaller location for a month holiday, move to a warmer climate, so on and so forth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Stop posting in this thread please, don't want to catch your virus.

This is the very worrying thing about this virus - don't know if it's the case for other viruses.
    People all over the world could be getting sent home thinking everything is fine

Is it just the undetectable part of the virus in that it is very slow to incubate until a certain point where it then fully blooms

Somebody earlier brought up the fact that Inuit, Native Americans etc suffered a much higher death rate during the Spanish Influenza and others. This may be due to decades of relative isolation, where immune systems have never been exposed to a similar virus before. Indeed where a virus radically mutates the first cohort to be infected will have immune systems similarly naive. So I suspect that any of us might have similar chance of succumbing to this virus if exposed to it.

VERY interesting that Japan brought up the asymptomatic symptoms.

Edit: That's hilarious how the Sudan guy is saying his government is politicaly unstable. Just funny.

Edit2: Yeah, she literally just answered maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

This is the very worrying thing about this virus - don't know if it's the case for other viruses.
    People all over the world could be getting sent home thinking everything is fine

Is it just the undetectable part of the virus in that it is very slow to incubate until a certain point where it then fully blooms

Agree. The epidemiological information is poor. Just watching the WHO general meeting. Thank God for the internet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Well right now they are only testing people who have travelled to china or who have had direct contact with a person known to be infected. Theres no way there arent loads of undetected cases going around potentially spreading it further. People all over the world already have it but they probably just think they have a normal cold or flu and will most likely never realise they were infected with this coronavirus. I think those cases are more of a threat than false negatives tbh

Why is the race thing even an issue to talk about? Black people and Asian people get lupus more than other races. Caucasian the least. Races are different.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Are the Chinese government paying everyone who is quarantined at home? Some can work from home, but what about those not in industries who can’t?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

pc7 wrote: »
    Are the Chinese government paying everyone who is quarantined at home? Some can work from home, but what about those not in industries who can’t?

I think if you're in a fight to potentially save your life you're not gonna worry about credit card debt or mortgage payments. It's not like the bailiffs are gonna come looking for their stuff

Why is the race thing even an issue to talk about? Black people and Asian people get lupus more than other races. Caucasian the least. Races are different.

Yeah it is true that certain ethnicities have different vulnerabilities to autoimmune disease like Lupus and Behçets. Possibly due to natural selection factor, where certain genes were found by nature which provided relative protection against prevalent infectious diseases. Eg, Sickle Cell provides relative protection against malaria, so that humans might procreate, never mind they later succumb to the sickle cell.

• Advertisement

This guy might be worth following for his prediction models - was pretty much spot on for todays figures - see how it pans out for tomorrow

https://twitter.com/evdefender/status/1224722267361464321

edit to say these figures should not match - viruses don't follow an algorithm ergo the CCP are using something similar to use for reporting.

bb12 wrote: »
    I think if you're in a fight to potentially save your life you're not gonna worry about credit card debt or mortgage payments. It's not like the bailiffs are gonna come looking for their stuff

Could be wrong, but I think debt in China is passed to the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,397 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

This guy might be worth following for his prediction models - was pretty much spot on for todays figures - see how it pans out for tomorrow

https://twitter.com/evdefender/status/1224722267361464321

edit to say these figures should not match - viruses don't follow an algorithm ergo the CCP are using something similar to use for reporting.

Yup theres more and more confirmations that the chinese numbers are complete bollox.

The infected is way higher along with the deaths mainly due to three factors, firstly the people who either are staying at home or are being sent home and die without officially being recored, secondly the arse ways system they use to classify deaths and thirdly the chinese government are quite simply messing with the numbers and it looks like this guy has nailed the false model they are using.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

From what I'm hearing from people on the ground in China (albeit not in Hubei) and putting the pieces together online, I've accepted this is much larger and much more severe than the Chinese government are letting on. Both in absolute number of infections and deaths.

pc7 wrote: »

It's was a national holiday in China when it happened. So people would be off anyway. I think there will be relief like rent free for these months etc.

• Advertisement

Yurt! wrote: »
    From what I'm hearing from people on the ground in China (albeit not in Hubei) and putting the pieces together online, I've accepted this is much larger and much more severe than the Chinese government are letting on. Both in absolute number of infections and deaths.

When people have nothing but free time they'll come up with some spectacular theories

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

From the WHO update, what was the question on those who have recovered that they couldn't answer?

There was an apparent leak of the real figures - lets say the infected/death numbers are very sobering if true and match other models for where it should be

Oranage2 wrote: »
    When people have nothing but free time they'll come up with some spectacular theories

Eh, this is from Chinese people living in three different provinces I checked-in on. All are of the opinion it's larger than official reports.

Also, the WHO deserve a kick in the pants if they are found to be knowingly playing along with fake Chinese figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

There was an apparent leak of the real figures - lets say the infected/death numbers are very sobering if true and match other models for where it should be

Really? What were they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Did the WHO even ask for access on the ground or did they give up?

I saw the same. Crazy numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yeh theres really big biological differences between races that are not appreciated. Alcohol for example is poisonous to 40% of asian people, alzheimers is twice as common in hispanics as asians, native americans are way more susceptible to alcoholism, most non white people are allergic to dairy

Yurt! wrote: »
    Also, the WHO deserve a kick in the pants if they are found to be knowingly playing along with fake Chinese figures.

Incompetent and disorganised
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29668603

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement