Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

When you think things cant get crazier!
    Chinese citizens may face capital punishment for being dishonest about being ill or being in contact with an ill person
    https://www.n-tv.de/panorama/Coronavirus-China-droht-mit-Todesstrafen-article21553951.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

givyjoe wrote: »
    I saw the same. Crazy numbers.

Not really into posting unsubstantiated reports but (this is the QQ site which maintains the official figures)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EP0fXhQUwAAjR-L?format=jpg&name=small

Figures are in order Confirmed/Suspected/Cured/Dead

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yeh theres really big biological differences between races that are not appreciated. Alcohol for example is poisonous to 40% of asian people, alzheimers is twice as common in hispanics as asians, native americans are way more susceptible to alcoholism, most non white people are allergic to dairy

I was listening to a radio interview with an African-Irish woman who had been very ill with sickle cell disease. She wanted to raise awareness that African people can be predisposed to sickle cell anaemia.

I didn't realise this was a contentious subject until I read this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

fritzelly wrote: »
    Not really into posting unsubstantiated reports but (this is the QQ site which maintains the official figures)

The confirmed and suspected are pretty much in line with what has been said by the lancet and HK scientists but that cured and death total Is frightening if true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Chinese official figures are totally mistrusted.

They need to allow foreign observers and officials in.

They can't handle this alone Imo.

Sad to see the country being isolated. The economic consequences are potentially enormous.

F12 people. And why the low pixel photo of a screen?

If the mortality rate was over 10%, I'm pretty sure we'd know.

Interesting diagram. CDC say that only those in the two rows ahead and behind an infected person would be in danger of infection, But this image shows how dispersed the 18 passengers and 2 crew infected by a SARS patient were on a flight back in 2002
    EHm5imGJ4pXlFWuznEdSOxjKlL18Cu2lKDn_qETQIQk.png?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&53823204
    https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/eyu8vs/cdcs_plane_seating_diagram_versus_reality_sars/
    Makes you think whether we might have an epidemic occuring right now in Ireland had that man tested positive and all passengers let travel freely afterward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The death figures can't be right. Far too high you'd think.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Yurt! wrote: »
    The death figures can't be right. Far too high you'd think.

You’d hope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So let’s play devils advocate and take these figures as the actual figures for a moment.
    Surely we would be getting to such a high level of deaths as to rule out the idea that these people who died had underlying health conditions, as in this virus kills otherwise healthy people.......

Theres not really any reason to believe that those numbers are real. Like is there any proof at all? I dont think China could get away with hiding 25k+ bodies from the CDC, WHO, expats, Chinese people with internet

Theres not really any reason to believe that those numbers are real. Like is there any proof at all? I dont think China could get away with hiding 25k+ bodies from the CDC, WHO, expats, Chinese people with internet

You could if you told everyone to stay in your house and stay off the streets...oh wait...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

If those figures are actual figures - big IF - perhaps it is dead - cured instead of cured - dead on the reading order?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

There are people who relish in creating more fear and panic in situations like this. I'm surprised we haven't had the "fema death camp" thing come up again. Give it time and we'll have posts about how someone's cousins friends aunt works in a walmart that they've closed down to lock up sick people.

Gynoid wrote: »
    If those figures are actual figures - big IF - perhaps it is dead - cured instead of cured - dead on the reading order?

The order is correct - cant see them doing deaths in green lol
    https://news.qq.com//zt2020/page/feiyan.htm?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf#rumor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

The last 2 figures on that site are different from the previously linked image

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Are the figures below the numbers Chinese numerals? If they’re Chinese numerals they look similar to the current figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

You'd imagine if it was that deadly, we would be seeing evidence of that from the 200 plus cases outside China at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Not saying it's happening at all let alone at that scale, but

How would the CDC, WHO, expats, chinese people with internet be able to expose it?
    Everybody is staying inside, can't use a car, are threatened and removed from social media if they dare upload videos of what they can see (which are reflexively called bull**** by everyone on the outside) and the government say there are to be no funerals, just immediately cremate the bodies. Seems pretty easy to hide quite a lot.
    Again not saying it's happening at all, but with the CCP I have a hunch that there is some shady **** going.

That site is the live figures that the image is supposed to be from before they fixed the figures

• Advertisement

So are the first two, looks like that originally linked image was faked

Are the figures below the numbers Chinese numerals? If they’re Chinese numerals they look similar to the current figures.

The figures above the bold figures are the increase from the previous day
    The stuff below the figures is the wording Confirmed, suspected, cured, dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If that number of police turned up in my time of need id feel special and loved :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

You'd imagine if it was that deadly, we would be seeing evidence of that from the 200 plus cases outside China at this stage.

Exactly. Go by the increase in non-Chinese deaths as an indicator.

But you’d have to look at the actions of various governments, are they being over cautious, or do they have additional information. The general public will be drip fed information on a need to know basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

If 20k are infected, 1000 died and 1000 are cured (rounded off obviously) then am I to understand 18k are still sick?

If that number of police turned up in my time of need id feel special and loved :)

Had seen that a few days ago but no translation so dismissed it

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Exactly. Go by the increase in non-Chinese deaths as an indicator.

But you’d have to look at the actions of various governments, are they being over cautious, or do they have additional information. The general public will be drip fed information on a need to know basis.

No because the reports are its an incredibly intensive regime to try and treat so one of the likely reasons the international deaths are still so low is the hospitals are able to dedicate a large amount of staff to single patients where in China they are completely overwhelmed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

The cured is the almost as alarming as the real death count/mortality rate. Fcuk me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,790 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

If 20k are infected, 1000 died and 1000 are cured (rounded off obviously) then am I to understand 18k are still sick?

i would presume 20k still sick, patients are categorised as either suspected / confirmed / cured / dead as appropriate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

fritzelly wrote:
    This is the very worrying thing about this virus - don't know if it's the case for other viruses. People all over the world could be getting sent home thinking everything is fine

Is it just the undetectable part of the virus in that it is very slow to incubate until a certain point where it then fully blooms
    Like all viruses, they take time to replicate, multiply and infect the host.

The incubation period for the common cold or flu is 24-72 hours. This seems to be longer than that.

So you can have negative test results until the virus has multiplied to a level that can be detected.

Assays are constantly being improved and developed to be more sensitive and detect disease as early as possible but when you're dealing with a brand new strain, you cant rush the science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    There are people who relish in creating more fear and panic in situations like this. I'm surprised we haven't had the "fema death camp" thing come up again. Give it time and we'll have posts about how someone's cousins friends aunt works in a walmart that they've closed down to lock up sick people.
    The death rate for people who have been identified with the virus internationally is less than 1%. Far less in fact. People should believing ****e they read on websites which make money from generating hits.

hmmm wrote: »
    The death rate for people who have been identified with the virus internationally is less than 1%. Far less in fact. People should believing ****e they read on websites which make money from generating hits.

Again its so low partly due to the hospitals not being overwhwlmed by it like in china and then able to dedicate enough doctors and nurses to manage and treat the low volume of patients, if we see a spike in infections internationally we will likely see a spike in deaths that will raise the current mortality rate

VinLieger wrote: »
    No because the reports are its an incredibly intensive regime to try and treat so one of the likely reasons the international deaths are still so low is the hospitals are able to dedicate a large amount of staff to single patients where in China they are completely overwhelmed

That’s a fair point. But in the absence of China coming out with real figures it’s the best that can be done.

On a separate note, has anyone tried searching YouTube for Coronavirus content? Give it a go, filter by upload date/time as in most recent.

Where is that 1% calculated, got a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,790 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Where is that 1% calculated, got a link?
    https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

177 cases outside china, one death

So the death rate went from 0% to 1% or is it incorrect to calculate the death rate when there's a lag time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

Okay, so why was it leaked to a maybe reputable journal and who leaked it. It's a shame but I feel like we really are getting too much information.

If that number of police turned up in my time of need id feel special and loved smile.png

Just to let you know, epoch times is owned by Falun Gong which have been persecuted by China.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

VinLieger wrote: »
    Again its so low partly due to the hospitals not being overwhwlmed by it like in china and then able to dedicate enough doctors and nurses to manage and treat the low volume of patients, if we see a spike in infections internationally we will likely see a spike in deaths that will raise the current mortality rate
    True, what worries me is they have been through this before with SARS they pumped money into hospitals they are set up to isolate cases and they still can't stop it.

I understand it mutates quickly, and the Spanish flu eventually mutated into a less deadly virus. I'd be hoping it mutates into something not quite so deadly before it gets here.

• Advertisement

Using the exact same method to determine the survival rate, can you tell me what the survival rate is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

With the long incubation period, moderate mortality rate and high infection rate, we're well set for a pandemic. One or two mutations and we could be about to witness the "big one".

Lads, I have an anxiety disorder and even I'm telling people to take a breather at this stage :P

2 deaths, one in HK, one in Phillippines. 5 in serious/critical conditions, 2 in rome, 2 in usa, 1 in france. Still much lower morbidity and mortality rate than in China and especially compared to Wuhan. No that much higher morbidity than seasonal flu really, and the mortality rate is too small a sample to estimate from. You would need about at least a couple hundred more international cases to get an accurate estimate of

2 deaths, one in HK, one in Phillippines. 5 in serious/critical conditions, 2 in rome, 2 in usa, 1 in france. Still much lower morbidity and mortality rate than in China and especially compared to Wuhan

5 more in the US at a uni not officially confirmed, tho the QQ site has them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Lads, I have an anxiety disorder and even I'm telling people to take a breather at this stage :P

Likewise and the more I read, the more alarming it is. Time to stick my head in the sand. Worrying/reading more isn't helping!

• Advertisement

Likewise and the more I read, the more alarming it is. Time to stick my head in the sand. Worrying/reading more isn't helping!

I'm about to watch outbreak ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Me too, can’t do anything about it anyway!

As I've said, you shouldn't be worried about getting it as the danger seems to be the lack of support rather than the disease. So, don't worry about getting it. You'll either get it and be treated, or not and be isolated to have a lower chance of getting it

What are you worried about? I've been following this quite closely and I would find it hard to feel any anxiety over all this. Not only is it not confirmed whether its a very dangerous disease but theres not even any cases here . I just feel bad for Chinese people, especially if it is much worse for them than is being let on

As I've said, you shouldn't be worried about getting it as the danger seems to be the lack of support rather than the disease. So, don't worry about getting it. You'll either get it and be treated, or not and be isolated to have a lower chance of getting it

Yes but the lower mortality rate combined with the high infection rate is the breeding ground for a mutation.

By the time Ireland gets sucked into the net this could be much more deadly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement