Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

PLEASE MOVE BACK TO AFTER HOURS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

If in the next 6wks, things go the way they're currently going, get these:

[2L plastic bottle, sharpie, stanley, stapler, elastic, duct tape, superglue and foamex]
    N95's will be sold out, some improvisaion would be needed for sub 0.5micron filtration...

(from article on hackables):
    FNos0ke.png

Handy, got a link to the article?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

http://wjw.hubei.gov.cn/fbjd/dtyw/202002/t20200205_2019293.shtml
    3150 new confirmed infections in Hubei alone today, 65 more deaths, 155 more patients became critical condition, 240 more patients situation became serious condition,125 patients discharged

Close to 24,000 infections worldwide now,almost 2800 in serious/critical conditions, almost 500 deaths, over 630 recovered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

tuxy wrote: »

Ask here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058050764

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

tuxy wrote: »

but the thread is here???

(if you want the thread moved, report a post and suggest it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

wakka12 wrote: »
    3150 new confirmed infections in Hubei alone today, 65 more deaths, 155 more patients became critical condition, 240 more patients situation became serious condition,125 patients discharged

Tracking right for the guy I posted about earlier - still the other figures to come out in just over 3 and half hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

circadian wrote: »
    Handy, got a link to the article?
    Here it is (not hackables, the other one... instructables
    https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Gas-Mask/

A similar article suggests cotton doused in 'vinegar' instead of N95? guess that likely that's more for the someone living in Paris, what with their weekly non-stop kick the canister type protests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Even if the numbers are accurate, this is very confusing:
    As of 24:00 on February 4, 2020, Hubei Province has reported 16,678 cases of pneumonitis with new type of coronavirus infection

and
    12627 cases are still being treated in the hospital , of which 1809 cases are critically ill and 711 cases are critically ill

Yet only 700 or so have "recovered", 397 of these in Hubei (https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6)

Does that mean 3500 sick people have been discharged?
    A total of 81,039 close contacts have been tracked, and 66,764 people are still undergoing medical observation

Is this even possible?

Don't be sneezing or coughing on anyone in china
    https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1178376.shtml

sdanseo wrote: »
    Is this even possible?

The numbers are fudged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

fritzelly wrote: »
    The numbers are fudged

That is unverified, please stop spreading Rumours

It seems impossible that 80,000 people can be tracked that quickly and over 60,000 can be observed simultaneously. Unless most of the 80k brought themselves to the authorities, and observation means self quarantine at home and ring 911 if you show symptoms

That is unverified, please stop spreading Rumours

The arcgis.com numbers are not updated - nothing to do with rumours
    You cant take a new set of numbers and apply to an outdated set - last I checked they were only updating it once a day

Last 6 days
    (30th Jan)9642
    (31st Jan)11,791
    (1st Feb) 14,380
    (2nd Feb) 17,205
    (3rd Feb) 20,438
    (4th Feb) 23,865 (other chinese provinces yet to give total)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

hmmm wrote: »
    The science is showing that masks do very little, and if anything it encourages people to touch their faces more often to readjust them. The main benefit is when someone is sick as it stops them spreading.

As for not travelling anywhere for fear of a virus that is affecting a tiny number of people worldwide - that's just ridiculous, you're going to be inside hiding from the world for a long time if you take that attitude.

Hmmm, the suspicious part of me is saying that's to keep the masks from countries that are not affected.

Tbh, I was planning on going to Thailand or Saigon to live, but time till tell. I'm not really worried though.

News from the redtops today say:
    640 patients are waiting on trolleys at hospitals around the country – the highest figure since the all-time record high set last month.
    (10 of those patients without beds are under 16, with 8 on trolleys in Temple Street Children’s University Hospital)

72 people are waiting for a bed at University Hospital Limerick.
    64 at Cork University Hospital.
    46 at St Vincent's Hospital in Dublin.
    41 at University Hospital Galway.
    38 at Mayo University Hospital.

If you're young and healthy and but suddenly coming down with the sneezes next month,
    then a bottle of Bourbon, honey and lemon for starters. Then plenty of bottled water with occasional electrolytes might be the best bet.

Why bottled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

https://news.tbs.co.jp/newseye/tbs_newseye3897283.html
    10 new cases on a cruise ship in Japan. Probably the most significant h2h transmission outside China

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

sdanseo wrote: »
    Is this even possible?
    In China yes, but it could only work in a repressive political system like that. They've even been forcing people to download a mobile phone app and reporting if you have any symptoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Why bottled?
    Factory sealed water bottles can be stored for years, tap water (even if filtered) will likely need to be put into fridge, plus the 2l bottles can make the above/previous page DIY face mask, then recycled at a later date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Hmmm, the suspicious part of me is saying that's to keep the masks from countries that are not affected.

Tbh, I was planning on going to Thailand or Saigon to live, but time till tell. I'm not really worried though.

They are more effective for the person who has the virus not to spread to other people then preventing catching the virus.

It will stop you touching your mouth and nose though. It's common for a virus to be spread by you touching something inanimate like a doorknob and then touching your face.

Wash your hands. Use alcoholic hand sanitizer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Now 23,865 confirmed with 492 deaths--cases increased by 3,427 a new record

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

ardinn wrote: »
    part 2

most worrying about that info is that the patient was still contagious after recovering from the symptoms of the virus...so you can be contagious before and after showing any signs...christ.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1224839169752674304

This is H2H infection - the original guy who caused it left the ship 10 days ago
    I'm confused about this - why was not everyone quarantined - or was it not known when he contacted medical staff on the 30th Jan
    These people could have infected thousands by now
    Sorry but the news is not getting better each day

If this blows up even worse I think a total clampdown on China needs to be done - they are being the root of very serious infections in humans, stuff that doesn't normally happen in nature. SARS they thought they could cover up and the rest. This is very disconcerting stuff.

bb12 wrote: »
    most worrying about that info is that the patient was still contagious after recovering from the symptoms of the virus...so you can be contagious before and after showing any signs...christ.

I'm curious what he said?

This is H2H infection - the original guy who caused it left the ship 10 days ago
    I'm confused about this - why was not everyone quarantined - or was it not known when he contacted medical staff on the 30th Jan
    These people could have infected thousands by now
    Sorry but the news is not getting better each day

If this blows up even worse I think a total clampdown on China needs to be done - they are being the root of very serious infections in humans, stuff that doesn't normally happen in nature. SARS they thought they could cover up and the rest. This is very disconcerting stuff.

What are there nationalities I wonder?

I'm curious what he said?

Maybe watch the video?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Things are getting more serious by the day.

I wonder how Tokyo will respond.

675 new cases outside Hubei. Nearly 4,000 in total today across China

What are there nationalities I wonder?

Unknown

America starting to cancel all flights to Hong Kong now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Unknown

America starting to cancel all flights to Hong Kong now

Yes, there is no demand for these flights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There is a flight between New York and Hong Kong with a 6 hour stop over in Wuhan for $191 if anyone is interested.

Sounds like a bargain.

There is a flight between New York and Hong Kong with a 6 hour stop over in Wuhan for $191 dollars if anyone is interested.

Sounds like a bargain.

Tour of Racoon Virus Lab City included in the price

• Advertisement

Maybe watch the video?

I'm too suspicious of a person :P

Total number of remaining suspected cases almost unchanged today, despite over 3900 new suspected cases being added. Meaning practically every test for suspected case in Wuhan came out positive

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/ez08ps/suspected_cases_is_virtually_unchanged_46_even/

i heard the virus had mutated

Seems like Hong Kong are testing their own borders.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HongKong/comments/eyqt1h/hong_kongers_have_to_form_their_own_team_checking/

Man, the more I see about Hong Kong, the more I don't want it to be 'culturally revolutionised'

Total number of remaining suspected cases almost unchanged today, despite over 3900 new suspected cases being added. Meaning practically every test for suspected case in Wuhan came out positive

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/ez08ps/suspected_cases_is_virtually_unchanged_46_even/

the tweet that links to has been deleted,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Any updates on that unconfirmed Dublin case at St James hospital, don't like both these online links to the Mirror or Dublin Live as the pages take forever to load and you can't scroll it.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

He's just a doctor explaining the nCoV in simple enough terms. He uses evidence based information and doesn't delve into any of the nonsense going around.

If you watch all his videos on this subject, its actually very interesting. He explains a bit about SARS and MERS too so you have a basis to compare this coronavirus with. Seriously interesting stuff. His main concern, as far as I can see, is that if an epidemic takes hold in the UK there just won't be enough equipment (oxygen) to treat everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

He's just a doctor explaining the nCoV in simple enough terms. He uses evidence based information and doesn't delve into any of the nonsense going around.

If you watch all his videos on this subject, its actually very interesting. He explains a bit about SARS and MERS too so you have a basis to compare this coronavirus with. Seriously interesting stuff. His main concern, as far as I can see, is that if an epidemic takes hold in the UK there just won't be enough equipment (oxygen) to treat everyone.

yes the interesting thing i learned from him is that it's better to have a fever if fighting a virus as the high temperature kills it off sooner...so sounds like it's a mistake to take paracetamol to bring down your temperature if suffering from the flu...(except for children)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Simi

BBC News - Wuhan resident: ‘We’d rather die at home than go to quarantine’
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51379088

Just an individual's perspective, but it shows how difficult it is for those affected to get any sort of help.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

“It’s worth noting that the number of deaths in China rose by 65 from 425 on Tuesday to 490 today. That’s an increase of 15.3% compared with a percentage increase of 18% the day before. So perhaps there are signs that the rate of fatalities is slowing. The number was closer to 30% on some days last week.

Updated at 12.50am GMT”

From the guardian https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/feb/05/coronavirus-live-updates-in-china-wuhan-outbreak-death-toll-latest-news-update-evacuation-coronaviruses

With the quarantine measures now taking effect about a week after coming in (incubation period) cases are bound to slow down. Hopefully now there are not thousands of people dead in their homes.

With the quarantine measures now taking effect about a week after coming in (incubation period) cases are bound to slow down. Hopefully now there are not thousands of people dead in their homes.

Alas there probably is thousands dead confined to their homes or barricaded in

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-05/who-coronavirus-update-china-travel/11930752
    The World Health Organisation has advised against trade and travel restrictions against China amid the coronavirus outbreak

Talk about absolutely useless, lets all go to China for a holiday right about now

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/04/researchers-say-the-coronavirus-may-be-more-contagious-than-current-data-shows.html
    Researchers say the coronavirus may be more contagious than current data shows
    Researchers from Lancaster University in England estimated the virus’s R naught may be closer to 3.1, saying “current clinical and epidemiological data are insufficient to understand the full extent of the transmission potential of the epidemic” and the outbreak comes “at a time when there is a substantial increase in travel volume” due to the Lunar New Year holiday.

https://twitter.com/BrianKolfage/status/1224912301481955334
    China has detained our corespondent Michael Yon who is a world renowned war correspondent. He traveled to Hong Kong to report on the #coronavirus and was detained. The coverup is well underway and they don’t want the media there. Wake up people. No more Hong Kong issues.

https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/02/05/20/philippines-confirms-3rd-new-coronavirus-case?fbclid=IwAR0FjHWuvgit2_nFQqBUPtycJLVIxFQQ6BoWBjUYYlM3HlwfyEe1TuK3lEo
    A third patient has tested positive for the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in the Philippines, the Department of Health (DOH) said Wednesday.

In a press conference, Health Undersecretary Eric Domingo said the patient is a 60-year old Chinese woman from Wuhan, China, the epicenter of the virus, who arrived in Cebu via Hong Kong in January. The patient then traveled to Bohol.

She went in for a consult at a Bohol hospital on Jan. 22 after experiencing fever.

On Sunday, the DOH bared that the second new coronavirus case had been confirmed- a 44-year-old Chinese man who died of the acute respiratory disease in Manila on Saturday.

It was the first reported death from the virus outside China.

The man was the companion of the 38-year-old Chinese woman who was identified earlier as the Philippines' first confirmed new coronavirus case. She no longer has symptoms of the virus, which manifest as cough and fever, health officials earlier said.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7966081/Wuhan-medic-says-coronavirus-deaths-infections-reported.html?ito=social-twitter_mailonline
    Wuhan medic says 'there are many more coronavirus deaths and infections than reported' because those who die while waiting to be tested are not considered victims of the virus

I`ll just say that if China are lying about the numbers and it hits the world far worse than is expected then its game over for international trade for China.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement