Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Graces7 wrote: »
    I think the concerns are that if serious panic buying started, you would need to be among folk who might be infected, as well as basics running out?

eg if there were need of quarantine etc? Even as a precaution.

This situation is an unknown one here?

Unknowns for sure however the more time passes the better the medical treatment protocols will be and for anyone who is healthy it will probably be just like a normal flu and the advice would be stay in bed. Luckily I guess the worst of the winter will be over soon so less need to be concerned about utilities disruption. If it’s a world wide pandemic its too late to close cities down, you just have to let it burn through

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Why 5 years?

At a minimum, there have to be serious consequences for jeopardising the public health and possibly spreading a pandemic by escaping from mandated quarantine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

silverharp wrote: »
    Unknowns for sure however the more time passes the better the medical treatment protocols will be and for anyone who is healthy it will probably be just like a normal flu and the advice would be stay in bed. Luckily I guess the worst of the winter will be over soon so less need to be concerned about utilities disruption. If it’s a world wide pandemic its too late to close cities down, you just have to let it burn through

Not sure. It is coming across as having unknown dimensions etc.

And always great concern re old and already compromised. There needs to be provision there.

Wait and see time. and prepare as you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,730 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Life is good in Wuhan

Brought to you by the CCP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,397 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Shouldn't the Government be sending a letter to every home in the Country with the Protocol to staying safe and what to do if you experience symptoms ?

The HSE says the Following

Yet this Guy does the following

Yeah the lack of info coming from government is infuriating, they are obviously too caught up in the election to worry about the publics health

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

VinLieger wrote: »
    Yeah the lack of info coming from government is infuriating, they are obviously too caught up in the election to worry about the publics health[

I fear that by the time we know what the scale of it is in Europe it will be too late for the government to do anything. Meanwhile they are too busy canvassing.

Tuborg?

Jaysus. I think I'd rather have the virus.

Ha you wouldn't believe how popular Tuborg has gotten in Vietnam in the last few years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Just thinking if it came to Ireland and there were some cases and countries started telling their citizens to go home, all the foreign students would leave and rents would collapse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭circadian

Yeah the lack of info coming from government is infuriating, they are obviously too caught up in the election to worry about the publics health

None of my sitting TDs have responded to emails sent in the last few days. I know they're busy out canvassing but I get the feeling that they probably think I'm in the same league as your man on O'Connell street screaming about the end of days.

I'm basically saying that some sort of public awareness and what to do should be pushed out, immediately. Anything beyond that is a bonus with those in power.

Also, isn't Leo Varadkar a medical doctor? Surely he's seen some sort of reports and understands the scale of this. Not a peep from him or anyone else running for election (as far as I can see anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Just thinking if it came to Ireland and there were some cases and countries started telling their citizens to go home, all the foreign students would leave and rents would collapse.

If it was that bad in Ireland it would likely be pretty bad where the students are from...

Seems like utter madness for people to be stocking up in Ireland at this point

AdamD wrote: »
    If it was that bad in Ireland it would likely be pretty bad where the students are from...

Seems like utter madness for people to be stocking up in Ireland at this point

It's prudent to stock up on things like rice, pasta, tinned and frozen food. It may not arrive here, it may not be a massive issue but you've got a supply of food and toiletries that'll be used within their lifespan anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

This thread has turned into Doomsday Preppers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

This thread has turned into Doomsday Preppers.
    Also available (SHTF): https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056466228&page=71

Could also be of use as time goes by, and Ikea closes down:
    (HACKS): https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056371112&page=57

FYI Probably the longest life foodstuff known to mankind is simple but nutriant rich 'honey', usualy good for 2,000yrs or so. You could scoop some of the tombs under the pyramids in Egypt and lash it into yer tea/whisky.

Some good news at least, hopefully the clinical trials go well and this can be quickly rolled out

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-05/china-is-trying-to-patent-gilead-s-experimental-coronavirus-drug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I'd say any pols thinking about it are just hoping we get through Saturday and Sunday without it landing here, which in fairness looks like an OK bet at the moment. A massive exercise involving 60% of the adult population making their way to polling places and then a significant number at counts passing around pieces of paper and handling the same pencils etc etc etc doesn't seem like a great idea if we had infections on the go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Some good news at least, hopefully the clinical trials go well and this can be quickly rolled out

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-05/china-is-trying-to-patent-gilead-s-experimental-coronavirus-drug

Gilead hmmmm interesting, so Handmaids Tale :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

There's so much news coming in from various sources it's hard to know what's fact or not
    so (as always) take each news feed, and source, with a very good dose of salt and skepticism.
    Likely best to avoid twitter anon newsdumps, and instead use only more established press/publishing.

This one is interesting (assuming if Tencent {Holdings} is China gov controlled/influenced)
    via: https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3871594

...As many experts question the veracity of China's statistics for the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak, Tencent over the weekend seems to have inadvertently released what is potentially the actual number of infections and deaths, which were astronomically higher than official figures.

On late Saturday evening (Feb. 1), Tencent, on its webpage titled "Epidemic Situation Tracker", showed confirmed cases of novel coronavirus (2019nCoV) in China as standing at *154,023*, 10 times the official figure at the time. It listed the number of suspected cases as 79,808, four times the official figure.

The number of cured cases was only 269, well below the official number that day of 300. Most ominously, the death toll listed was *24,589*, vastly higher than the 300 officially listed that day.

Many folks on the various TV news items, always add at the end of updates, that that full human trials are required for {Western} gov states to prevent getting sued.

Usually these take 3/6/12mths before any mass vax program could be cleared, and rolled out to the public.
    Of course there may be some 'wavier' form that could be signed, voiding any possible clinical negligence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The number of cured cases was only 269, well below the official number that day of 300.

Hardly "well below"
    Most ominously, the death toll listed was *24,589*, vastly higher than the 300 officially listed that day.

I doubt it.

There's so much news coming in from various sources it's hard to know what's fact or not
    so (as always) take each news feed, and source, with a very good dose of salt and skepticism.
    Likely best to avoid twitter anon newsdumps, and instead use only more established press/publishing.

This one is interesting (assuming if Tencent {Holdings} is China gov controlled/influenced)
    via: https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3871594.

Thats the image I posted earlier - maybe someone sent the email to the wrong person...

Does anybody here have snapchat AND speak Arabic?

There’s a guy who has been posting snaps over the last few days. The roads and pavements are extremely quiet but I’ve no idea what he’s saying.

There was also a snap earlier of a teenager in a small classroom saying school was back. But, I’m wondering why he didn’t write the text in Chinese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭timmyntc

fritzelly wrote: »
    Thats the image I posted earlier - maybe someone sent the email to the wrong person...

Fake numbers on that webpage have been floating around since it first went live.
    Anyone can fake them - just right click -> Inspect Element
    Then you can edit the figures yourself to read whatever you like.

The real key to making it look legit is take a pic of the screen instead of a screenshot - for some reason its more believable if the image looks like sh*t. :rolleyes:

Life is good in Wuhan

That is a deeply moving video; thank you.

Bit of a jump up, for end of 4th Feb, after a slight slowdown on the previous day:
    24.4k for China (confirmed), this is double from what it was just before 1st Jan.
    add a 'bit' more for unconfirmed Chinese numbers.

vpV7QZY.png

• Advertisement

I'm so addicted to this thread I think I'm questioning my health and sanity, but thanks to everyone posting the links, especially these doctor John videos as he seems fairly level headed and he makes the medical jargon understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

I'm so addicted to this thread I think I'm questioning my health and sanity, but thanks to everyone posting the links, especially these doctor John videos as he seems fairly level headed and he makes the medical jargon understandable.

I like Dr. John too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Are you still fantasizing about a zombie apocalypse so you can finally afford an old council house in Drimnagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭padjocollins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

silverharp wrote: »

Isnt that normal :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 lolanacho

Have you seen this? Another suspected case, in Kerry. I wonder why the HSE hasn’t updated their Coranavirus Page since February 3rd.

I can’t post the link as I’m a new user, but you can read it online at the Independent.

lolanacho wrote: »
    Have you seen this? Another suspected case, in Kerry. I wonder why the HSE hasn’t updated their Coranavirus Page since February 3rd.

I can’t post the link as I’m a new user, but you can read it online at the Independent.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/woman-placed-in-isolation-in-kerry-hospital-as-she-shows-symptoms-similar-to-coronavirus-38929642.html

"The person - understood to be a woman who may been in contact with people who travelled to China recently - presented at UHK with respiratory problems."

That is misleading and very ambiguous. According to who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

The Chinese have managed this publicity around the virus very well.
    In that article and in many of the other articles, the embedded video is not one of the abandoned streets of Wuhan, but one of the 'hospital' being built in 8 days.
    Deflection on a massive scale.

circadian wrote: »
    "The person - understood to be a woman who may been in contact with people who travelled to China recently - presented at UHK with respiratory problems."

That is misleading and very ambiguous. According to who?

Indeed she was either in contact with people who visited china or she wasnt, also if she was then where are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Indeed she was either in contact with people who visited china or she wasnt, also if she was then where are they?
    At a guess, they were some manner of Asian, and she is thinking the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Life is good in Wuhan

That's really sad. People stuck alone in their apartments during Chinese New Year terrified to leave in case they catch a virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Boggles wrote: »
    Hardly "well below"

I doubt it.

Ya the deaths number seems ridiculous but the 154k cases seems very credible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭timmyntc

snotboogie wrote: »
    Ya the deaths number seems ridiculous but the 154k cases seems very credible.

The real infected number probably is close to that high - however the authorities wont report that.

Confirmed cases are only cases that test positive for nCov-2019. The problem with that is, there is only so much testing capacity per day. So the rate of increase in confirmed cases (in Wuhan anyways) is limited by how many tests they can do daily.

Suspected cases then are cases where nCov is suspected (i.e. symptoms are there, Chest Xrays/CT scans are showing pneumonia) but the test cannot be run, so these people are simply "suspected". Likely that 90%+ of all suspected cases are nCov also.

If they aren't showing pneumonia (just fever/cough) I think they're listed as under observation.

There was confirmation from somewhere in China that the suspected cases are all pneumonic - I'll try and see if I can find where I read it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Any update on the suspected case in Ireland?

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    Any update on the suspected case in Ireland?

There is still only these 3 links for the St James case, Dublin Live and Mirror basically. The Kerry one will probably take 24 hours at least to confirm.

WHO is not aware of any cases where people have died undiagnosed

Say what?

I wonder if the one in St James is purely hearsay since I wouldn't trust either of those publications. Otherwise two separate unrelated cases isn't a good sign.

circadian wrote: »
    I wonder if the one in St James is purely hearsay since I wouldn't trust either of those publications. Otherwise two separate unrelated cases isn't a good sign.

Yeah The Mirror went to sh1te after journalists like John Pilger left it.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not into spam or corned beef, but I as routine keep in dry goods and tins to last a couple of months. Rice, pasta, flour...dried milk etc … coffee! Being housebound and in a remote place where we can get cut off makes this simply routine. Cat food is a major issue.

And don't omit basic and prescription meds and toiletries. Not panic; just common sense.

lol... just heard no shopping trip this week so into my stores here! Validates the whole stocking up idea..

But my generation we always had a pantry, a small separate room just for food stores. Shelves of tins etc. "Just in case.." A cool shelf for jams etc as we did not have fridges then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

WHO is requesting $675 million to fund the plan for the next 3 months; $60 million of that will fund WHO operations while the rest will go toward supporting countries grappling to contain the virus. "Our message to the international community is invest today or pay more later."

-On Tuesday, health officials released details of the deaths so far, saying that two-thirds of them were men. More than 80 percent were over 60 years old, and they typically had pre-existing health conditions such as cardiovascular diseases or diabetes.-

Approx. 500 deaths mainly in Hubei province. Hubei population is 60 million. And Wuhan City is 11 million. Wuhan is a major economic and transport hub. If initial warnings by the likes of the 'whistleblower' doctor were not silenced then the figures I'd say would be much lower.
    Since this region is in effective lockdown it will be a hotspot that will have to be managed for months to come until hopefully a vaccine can be created.
    The management of cases in the U.S. will be a better indicator of how prepared countries can deal with containment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,210 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I don't trust the official Chinese numbers, I've ordered and received a box of medical face masks, I also bought some n95 masks.. they are enroute.

A lot have either sold out on Amazon, or increased in price by almost 10x.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Media orgs here are loathe to spread panic. Was it SARS or one of the others, the journal did a news alert on the “first confirmed case” they ended up having to walk back to much pillorying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

mikeecho wrote: »
    I don't trust the official Chinese numbers, I've ordered and received a box of medical face masks, I also bought some n95 masks.. they are enroute.

A lot have either sold out on Amazon, or increased in price by almost 10x.

Here's a very good video on face masks: https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2020/feb/05/do-face-masks-help-prevent-coronavirus-video-explainer

Basically the best way to protect yourself is washing your hands regularly and not touching your face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Life is good in Wuhan

It does not exactly paint the authorities in good light . Saying there is not enough food for the hospital staff and one person says there is a shortage of equipment. I dont think the CCP would approve.
    The woman interviewed in the video is pretty cool, brilliant illustrations and very self aware. She is also looking for a partner, I think she will get pleanty of volunteers when the crisis is over

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement