Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It takes quite the pair of brass balls to say anything against the government online. Shows what people are driven to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 lolanacho

Two Irish passengers in quarantine on luxury cruise ship amid coronavirus outbreak........ taken from the Independent, in case anyone would like to put here the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

lolanacho wrote: »
    Two Irish passengers in quarantine on luxury cruise ship amid coronavirus outbreak........ taken from the Independent, in case anyone would like to put here the link.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/two-irish-passengers-in-quarantine-on-luxury-cruise-ship-amid-coronavirus-outbreak-38930033.html

Coronavirus Travel Restrictions: Europe to Tighten Entry Rules for All Foreign travelers.

It makes no sense that a single country takes measures on a continent with border-free travel between most nations,” Spahn added, explaining that the restrictions would be harmonized for Europe’s whole border-less area.

You can read the news here: schengenvisainfo.com

(I can’t copy and paste the link as I’m a new user ��)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Fritzelly that was a very moving video, thanks for posting.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Flights from Manchester to mainland China cancelled

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/flights-manchester-airport-mainland-china-17689544.amp
    Manchester Airport's flights to and from mainland China have been suspended amid the Coronavirus outbreak.

Hainan Airlines, which flies from the hub three times a week in winter, has cancelled flights for thousands of passengers.

Published on The Irish Medical Times

By Valerie Ryan 5th February 2020

As of this afternoon, there are no confirmed cases novel coronavirus on island of Ireland

No cases of the novel strain of coronavirus (2019-nCoV) have been confirmed on this island, in the Republic or Northern Ireland up to this afternoon (Wednesday, February 5).
    Arrangements in place between the two jurisdictions include the North’s Public Health Agency (PHA) “in ongoing communications with the health service in the Republic of Ireland regarding all aspects of novel coronavirus 2019-nCoV.
    “Both jurisdictions are working to international guidance regarding identification, management and containment of potential cases, and are keeping abreast of this developing issue,” the PHA told Irish Medical Times in a statement.
    In Dublin, the first meeting of a new Expert Advisory Group, chaired by Dr Cillian De Gascun, Laboratory Director at the National Virus Reference Laboratory, is taking place at the moment (Wednesday, February 5).
    The Expert Advisory Group, was set up to advise the National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET), the Health Service Executive and others.
    This advisory group meeting follows on the heels of the NPHET meeting yesterday afternoon, (Tuesday, February 4) in the Department of Health.
    The emergency team met to review the available international data and guidance regarding the outbreak of the novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China.
    Also under focus at yesterday’s meeting was Ireland’s ongoing preparedness in line with the advice from the World Health Organization and the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control.
    The NPHET is to meet again next Tuesday (February 11).
    Valerie Ryan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Just read that apparently all 10 german patients are in good condition with mild symptoms only and haven't received or needed any anti viral meds or oxygen support etc. According to the doctors their symptoms are comparable to a cold. Its been almost 2 weeks since the first cases there so we should expect them to be fully recovered soon, or go downhill perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

auspicious wrote: »
    WHO is requesting $675 million to fund the plan for the next 3 months; $60 million of that will fund WHO operations while the rest will go toward supporting countries grappling to contain the virus. "Our message to the international community is invest today or pay more later."

-On Tuesday, health officials released details of the deaths so far, saying that two-thirds of them were men. More than 80 percent were over 60 years old, and they typically had pre-existing health conditions such as cardiovascular diseases or diabetes.-

Approx. 500 deaths mainly in Hubei province. Hubei population is 60 million. And Wuhan City is 11 million. Wuhan is a major economic and transport hub. If initial warnings by the likes of the 'whistleblower' doctor were not silenced then the figures I'd say would be much lower.
    Since this region is in effective lockdown it will be a hotspot that will have to be managed for months to come until hopefully a vaccine can be created.
    The management of cases in the U.S. will be a better indicator of how prepared countries can deal with containment.

Strange. I wonder are they prioritising female patients? (Gender gap in China)

Anyway, here's a video from advchina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5VGPYtbTk8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Just read that apparently all 10 german patients are in good condition with mild symptoms only and haven't received or needed any anti viral meds or oxygen support etc. According to the doctors their symptoms are comparable to a cold. Its been almost 2 weeks since the first cases there so we should expect them to be fully recovered soon, or go downhill perhaps.

According to Dr John - the pneumonia symptons turned up quite late - day 10 etc.

Speaking of the man - Video 10

Edit:

He is now predicting a pandemic - doesnt look happy. He was my only source of optimism - he is no longer optimistic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

https://youtu.be/AbuqmziQ28I

the culture that got china into this mess some great stats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

ardinn wrote: »
    According to Dr John - the pneumonia symptons turned up quite late - day 10 etc.

Day 10 of illness, but only day 6 in hospital i.e. day 6 after we know about them.

If by the end of the week the German cases are all still stable we'll have a much better idea of how treatable it is in developed, uncensored (mostly), western countries. Same with the US cases, etc.

https://youtu.be/AbuqmziQ28I

the culture that got china into this mess some great stats

Oh yeah, you know the guy in the suit's wife is a doctor? He hardly ever mentions it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

auspicious wrote: »
    WHO is requesting $675 million to fund the plan for the next 3 months; $60 million of that will fund WHO operations while the rest will go toward supporting countries grappling to contain the virus. "Our message to the international community is invest today or pay more later."

-On Tuesday, health officials released details of the deaths so far, saying that two-thirds of them were men. More than 80 percent were over 60 years old, and they typically had pre-existing health conditions such as cardiovascular diseases or diabetes.-

Approx. 500 deaths mainly in Hubei province. Hubei population is 60 million. And Wuhan City is 11 million. Wuhan is a major economic and transport hub. If initial warnings by the likes of the 'whistleblower' doctor were not silenced then the figures I'd say would be much lower.
    Since this region is in effective lockdown it will be a hotspot that will have to be managed for months to come until hopefully a vaccine can be created.
    The management of cases in the U.S. will be a better indicator of how prepared countries can deal with containment.
    80% over 60, wow, and with diseases, why is China going so ape**** over this disease if it is kills mostly those who are already suspectible to death from seasonal flu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

NHS (in Eng) to order new 'pods' to 'isolate' suspected cases, and keep away from other folks in hospitals.
    Seperately, they're also trialing 'sleep pods' for overworked staff.

Both a good idea, they could always donate either, to the homeless after the pandemic is over circa 2025.

Let's hope these pods aren't similar to the idea put forward by a multi-millionare,
    that of using two wheely bins, he must think it's April 1st:
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10897747/multi-millionaire-sleep-pod-homeless-wheelie-bins/

wakka12 wrote: »
    80% over 60, wow, and with diseases, why is China going so ape**** over this disease if it is kills mostly those who are already suspectible to death from seasonal flu.

I honestly have a conspiracy theory that this flue is real, but is also an excuse to isolate China and also for China to have some weird internal conflict of some kind. I mean the Premier asked for aid off Europe and he is not on good terms with Xi.

I think the dramatic fantasy/western reading part of me is imagining a bit of a showdown here. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

A woman was placed in an isolation ward today after showing symptoms similar to Coronavirus.

It’s understood the patient is being treated for breathing difficulties at University Hospital Kerry in Tralee.

The woman, who is understood to be of Chinese origin, may have been in contact with people who recently travelled from her home country.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/health-news/coronavirus-woman-put-isolation-tralee-21438394

Chinese origin.

With the stats emerging a few days ago that asians are more at risk im wonder is there any cases worldwide yet of any white/black people contracting the disease.

I think even the american couple are of chinese descent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Chinese origin.

With the stats emerging a few days ago that asians are more at risk im wonder is there any cases worldwide yet of any white/black people contracting the disease.

Yes. Germany

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Anyway, here's a video from advchina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5VGPYtbTk8

I posted about it previously (and was accused of racism for mentioning it) Asian men have 5 times more ACE2 in lungs which makes them more suspectable to this virus apparently
    See previous posts for links to the articles

Yes. Germany

Are you sure - there is a report detailing the bavarian outbreak, now, they say "man living in so and so" but we are not certain of their ethnicity - they do say chinese man and chinese woman on a few other occasions however.

Is there confirmed reports of white germans with the disease?

Chronology of the virus in Bavaria

January 16: A Chinese employee of the Webasto company received a visit in Shanghai from her parents from the Wuhan region, which is severely affected by the coronavirus.

January 19-23rd: The woman then visited the Webasto company in Stockdorf, Bavaria. She showed no symptoms of illness and took part in a seminar on January 21st, together with a 33-year-old Webasto employee from nearby Kaufering. Another Chinese employee, who would later be diagnosed with an infection, is also said to have been present at meetings.

Chinese origin.

China (again) is where it started, and was left to run unchecked for about a month thanks to bat-soup and wet markets. That's the reason Hubei has 24,000 confirmed cases.
    Chinese are also world travellers (peak holiday season), cases in other countries are due to travellers (from China) arriving, such as the American couple or their close relatives.

Speculating that only Chinese can get this virus is wildy speculative, indeed silly.

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    I posted about it previously (and was accused of racism for mentioning it) Asian men have 5 times more ACE2 in lungs which makes them more suspectable to this virus apparently

I understand they are more suseptable (eh spell that??)

I am wondering if however there are confirmed reports of non asians having the disease.

Im not asking to be racist - just generally curious and to be honest hopeful there isnt! (sorry)

Chinese origin.

I would imagine some of the h2h in America, Canada, Germany and Australia had at least a couple of white people

China (again) is where it started, and was left to run unchecked for about a month thanks to bat-soup and wet markets. That's the reason Hubei has 24,000 confirmed cases.
    Chinese are also world travellers (peak holiday season), cases in other countries are due to travellers (from China) arriving, such as the American couple or their close relatives.

Speculating that only Chinese can get this virus is wildy speculative, indeed silly.

As posted above - The chinese are far more susceptible (i got it) to the disease

Your silly!

Are you sure - there is a report detailing the bavarian outbreak, now, they say "man living in so and so" but we are not certain of their ethnicity - they do say chinese man and chinese woman on a few other occasions however.

Is there confirmed reports of white germans with the disease?

Chronology of the virus in Bavaria

January 16: A Chinese employee of the Webasto company received a visit in Shanghai from her parents from the Wuhan region, which is severely affected by the coronavirus.

January 19-23rd: The woman then visited the Webasto company in Stockdorf, Bavaria. She showed no symptoms of illness and took part in a seminar on January 21st, together with a 33-year-old Webasto employee from nearby Kaufering. Another Chinese employee, who would later be diagnosed with an infection, is also said to have been present at meetings.

We know some of that info is wrong now. She was showing symptoms and was taking medication for it

I would imagine some of the h2h in America, Canada, Germany and Australia had at least a couple of white people

America no - totonto has a HUGE asian population so probably not - germany I have listed as unknown but probable that it is in fact all asian patients. no clue about austria!

As posted above - The chinese are far more susceptible (i got it) to the disease

Your silly!

I think the study that implied that only had one sample though. There arent enough cases outside China to be able to say that confidently at all

• Advertisement

SeaBreezes wrote: »

The Lancet also said this from a very small, (non-peer reviewed) singular study (sample of 8 with N.1 postive) study was unfounded, and didn't even get mentioned in their report's findings.

The virus started in China, ran amok there and now most victims are Chinese.
    Not a great surprise.

We know some of that info is wrong now. She was showing symptoms and was taking medication for it

Obviously, she gave it to another chinese person!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

Speaking of the man - Video 10

Edit:

He is now predicting a pandemic - doesnt look happy. He was my only source of optimism - he is no longer optimistic!

Holy crap...it's possible the virus can survive on a surface up to 28 days or maybe even longer?! how on earth can you fight against something like that....

America no - totonto has a HUGE asian population so probably not - germany I have listed as unknown but probable that it is in fact all asian patients. no clue about austria!

Don't feel guilty about asking a question like this. It's important and should be easily answered.

Don't feel guilty about asking a question like this. It's important and should be easily answered.

I dont!

Now a little research on the austrian case

Officials are now trying to establish her whereabouts in the hours after she left the hospital and who she may have come into contact with.

The woman, an Austrian national, had traveled to New Zealand via Taiwan and developed respiratory problems on the flight home.

My theory blown out of water (unless she is of asian descent!)

The german infections happened in a small village called Stockdorf outside Munich,I just checked and Munich only has 8400 Chinese people and no other major asian ethnic immigrant group,so I seriously doubt all of them were Asian. But even if it can infect non asian people it doesnt mean asians arent more susceptible. There is generally pretty big differences in the susceptibility of races and ethnicities to certain diseases but very rarely does a disease solely affect one race of people

• Advertisement

The german infections happened in a small village called Stockdorf, I seriously doubt all of them were Asian. But even if it can infect non asian people it doesnt mean asians arent more susceptible. There is generally pretty big differences in the susceptibility of races and ethnicities to certain diseases but very rarely does a disease solely affect one race of people

At least two were, I was reading here. The original carrier (who was on the flight back to China before feeling ill), and a Chinese worker in Germany. The others appear to be German locals. Including one who made it to his holiday in Tenerife before being isolated there (this is Spain's only case).

https://www.thelocal.de/20200205/coronavirus-in-bavaria-how-did-the-virus-spread

In the scheme of things, if the thing originates in Bats or Snakes, then becomes virulent in asians, the concept that caucasians are somehow significantly less susceptible would seem very naive indeed.
    Of course if it were the case than legitimate questions about demographics can and should be asked freely without fear of being labelled as racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I wonder how many of us are part Asian. The DNA tests can show some of us in Ireland as up to 4% Asian ancestry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Seen rumours that theres 7 cases in North Korea, if it gets out of control there they are absolutely screwed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

saabsaab wrote: »
    I wonder how many of us are part Asian. The DNA tests can show some of us in Ireland as up to 4% Asian ancestry.

Are you sure its part Asian and not part of A Sean

Sorry..terrible joke :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Completely hypothetical, but if a virus was engineered to be mainly Chinese race specific, decimating the elderly, the Chinese leadership would be the main suspects. Get rid of the bed blockers and reduce the expenditure of maintaining non-workers, and helping to address the population control measures since the one child laws have been repealed. All done without pissing off the west, who only caught a cold.

Plot twist - President Xi and others who approved the plan are inadvertently exposed to the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

If the number of infections continued to double every week, then everyone on earth would be infected by six months time. It's doubling every 4 or 5 days right now.

Mad huh? I like to think this won't actually happen; just illustrating how quickly it is spreading.

Dante7 wrote: »
    Completely hypothetical, but if a virus was engineered to be mainly Chinese race specific, decimating the elderly, the Chinese leadership would be the main suspects. Get rid of the bed blockers and reduce the expenditure of maintaining non-workers, and helping to address the population control measures since the one child laws have been repealed. All done without pissing off the west, who only caught a cold.

Plot twist - President Xi and others who approved the plan are inadvertently exposed to the virus.

To add to the conpiracy theory it mostly kills men :P

While I try not to worry based on anything but what seems to be fact; the idea that this was bioengineered is absolutely terrifying.

Makes nuclear weapons look like toys. In a month if the suspected "real" numbers are as per the journal referred to by John Campbell's videos above... then three times as many people have likely caught this as were killed in Hiroshima.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

And they'll get it too. Mad how billions just appears for things like fires and this.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1225081513307447301

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

And they'll get it too. Mad how billions just appears for things like fires and this.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1225081513307447301

Amazing how money is found to potentially save the human race?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

From what I've read on the early research into the outbreak it seems that the virus tends to cause worse symptoms in people with a higher number of a particular receptor(s) in the lungs, whose name escapes at the moment I'm afraid. In general men have more of these receptors and east Asian folks as a population have more such receptors. This might explain the so far lower incidence of complications and deaths from it in non east Asian populations.

Of course set against that is a thankfully tiny number of non Asians that have been exposed to or contracted the disease, so the numbers are too small to posit any conclusions. Plus different populations can react to infections in different ways. Very isolated populations for example can be felled by what those who have lived in urban environments for centuries would either not catch or see as a bit of a sniffle, or populations that have been exposed to similar pathogens for longer. EG African populations would have more resistance to something like malaria compared to northern Europeans, whereas there would be more people in a population of northern Europeans that would have some resistance to plague.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

sdanseo wrote: »
    While I try not to worry based on anything but what seems to be fact; the idea that this was bioengineered is absolutely terrifying.

Makes nuclear weapons look like toys. In a month if the suspected "real" numbers are as per the journal referred to by John Campbell's videos above... then three times as many people have likely caught this as were killed in Hiroshima.

If anything thought this proves how useless such weapons would be due to how uncontrolled they are especially in the modern connected world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Amazing how money is found to potentially save the human race?

The WHO aren't covering themselves in glory during this. They have been influenced by money men who told them to play it down. They are a massive NGO and $90m of that money will go to lining their coffers and paying handsome salaries.

Dante7 wrote: »
    The WHO aren't covering themselves in glory during this. They have been influenced by money men who told them to play it down. They are a massive NGO and $90m of that money will go to lining their coffers and paying handsome salaries.

Tax free salaries too, as they're under the UN. Diplomatic status.
    Edit: I take that back doubly. They aren't extortionate salaries, are subject to a deduction that seems to be in lieu of tax, and paid in USD so less generous again. In line with our civil service.

bb12 wrote: »
    Holy crap...it's possible the virus can survive on a surface up to 28 days or maybe even longer?! how on earth can you fight against something like that....

On an individual level, wash your hands frequently, always before eating. Dont touch your face. Wipe down surfaces in your home daily including door handles and light switches. Its easy

If you do this, it greatly reduces your chances of becoming sick, with any virus.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement