Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

3rd case in the UK now - Sky News

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I’m sure there’ll be a few cases here but it’s not worth panicking about. We’ve no flights coming here directly from China which helps as a lot of the countries they would have to travel through are imposing restrictions or checkpoints in airports. I wish they would start in Dublin airport though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

MadYaker wrote: »
    I’m sure there’ll be a few cases here but it’s not worth panicking about. We’ve no flights coming here directly from China which helps as a lot of the countries they would have to travel through are imposing restrictions or checkpoints in airports. I wish they would start in Dublin airport though.

We would have a large Asian community in Ireland both working and in Colleges that could have traveled through the various hubs to get here. I think its pretty inevitable we will have some cases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

European stocks hit record highs. Seems not worried about the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Huge amount of info etc on rte; cannot post links on this machine but it is evocative reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Seriously considering not voting depending on what the results of the current 3 come in as

Maybe I'm a panicking or moany michael but FFS the slowness of this diagnosis, If any of the Irish cases become confirmed there is trying to track the details of where they were, what port or airport they arrived at, what bus connection or rail connection did they take, what shops did they visit, did they go for a pint. All these implications too that could pass this H2H virus. Maybe I'm just unnecessarily worrying myself but the testing seems to be so goddam slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Health officials are investigating an outbreak of a pneumonia like disease in Afghanistan which has killed 23 children under the age of five.
    Didpress Agency reports the outbreak has affected two villages in the northeastern Badakhshan

Singapore is up to 30 confirmed cases.
    Really once it get above 50 or 100 type numbers then it gets very, very difficult to control.

Couple of reports from China of rapid infections (<1min) from people standing beside infected folks, both without facemasks,
    difficult to verify such claims unless there was sneezing and coughing (both aerosol, and droplet transfer risk).

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Maybe I'm a panicking or moany michael but FFS the slowness of this diagnosis, If any of the Irish cases become confirmed there is trying to track the details of where they were, what port or airport they arrived at, what bus connection or rail connection did they take, what shops did they visit, did they go for a pint. All these implications too that could pass this H2H virus. Maybe I'm just unnecessarily worrying myself but the testing seems to be so goddam slow.

Given that the HSE are not commenting on individual cases (unless confirmed) you would have to think the St llJames case is negative. Cork result due this evening

Of course this could be an incorrect assumption

• Advertisement

Health officials are investigating an outbreak of a pneumonia like disease in Afghanistan which has killed 23 children under the age of five.
    Didpress Agency reports the outbreak has affected two villages in the northeastern Badakhshan

Singapore is up to 30 confirmed cases.
    Really once it get above 50 or 100 type numbers then it gets very, very difficult to control.

Couple of reports from China of rapid infections (<1min) from people standing beside infected folks, both without facemasks,
    difficult to verify such claims unless there was sneezing and coughing (both aerosol, and droplet transfer risk).

That could clash with Dr John's theory about the disease not affecting the young, but then it could be another virus totally unrelated.

Do you have the link for that? ^
    Very unusual for children to be affected by these viruses. That would be deeply concerning if it's the nCoV.

That could clash with Dr John's theory about the disease not affecting the young, but then it could be another virus totally unrelated.

But it is affecting the young. Or does he just mean a lot less?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

They may have been tested quickly and came back negative, it's probably/hopefully just a case of the HSE just being incredibly slow with the communications.

We should ask Dr John to join our community here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Do you have the link for that? ^
    Just came in off a newsfeed from an agency there, could try searching:

https://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Hot+Topics/China+Coronavirus+Outbreak?type=ln
    Imagine anyone young or old could catch it. There was another story suggesting if it mutated quickly, it could be caught twice, that antibodies produced by the body would only be good for 14days.

PROC have their own thread in the Langers Forum about this too, a possible source if Cork news comes early enough. http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245416&page=14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

is it right that 1/4 of people are getting pneumonia, I might have picked up the number wrong? A heady cold i'll get over but.....

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

silverharp wrote: »
    is it right that 1/4 of people are getting pneumonia, I might have picked up the number wrong? A heady cold i'll get over but.....

of which 3,863 (14%) in critical condition <
    I dont know if im right but pneumonia could be this number

You have Coronavirus, seize him and quarantine him/her hahaha only kidding. :D:D:D

• Advertisement

The cure is loads of Harp, silverharp. It will dilute that Corona right outta ya system.

Do ye think these masks would help stop it?

logo-hocsinhviruscoronadoanhoa3-15808724985851072059923-1580980812.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

VinLieger wrote: »
    Seriously considering not voting depending on what the results of the current 3 come in as

You are seriously over reacting. Even if all 3 had it the likelihood of you having an issue as a result of going to vote is incredibly low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

1/4 of people admitted to hospital. Many more will have it and not need treatment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

If someone infected is wearing the mask, it will stop them spreading it as much as it will stop most of the droplets from their breath travelling far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,790 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

from BNO Desk twitter:
    Singapore reports 2 new cases of coronavirus, including 1 person with no links to China or previous cases
    They're still investigating, but it suggests there is local human-to-human transmission and at least 1 patient they haven't found yet

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN2000C7
    The World Health Organization (WHO) has begun an investigation into three virus infections linked to an international business meeting in Singapore last month, -reuters

The cases linked to the meeting provide more evidence that the coronavirus is spreading through human-to-human contact outside China, which the WHO has said is deeply concerning and could signal a much larger outbreak.

The cases, in Malaysia and South Korea, have been linked to a 100-strong meeting in Singapore of staff from an as-yet-unnamed multinational sales firm, while one Chinese delegate was from the central city of Wuhan, where the virus originated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The cure is loads of Harp, silverharp. It will dilute that Corona right outta ya system.

diluted beer is a way to clear the bugs dodgy water? or I guess just drink Bud straight for the same effect :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Not really for kids. Will reduce risk but not eliminate

Chinese doctor Li Wenliang the first to warn about COV and who was detained by Chinese authorities has apparently just died of the illness, I can't find a link as yet. RIP Li Wenliang.

• Advertisement

RIP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

In regards to masks I bought some as I'd rather have them not need them then need them and not have em. I also bought gloves and safety glasses. To be sure to be sure like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Not knowing the science of this, but is there a chance that the virus has had a further mutation within China?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Think I heard that they are very ineffective if used improperly, which kids will.

Even in that picture above they dont look right, the masks look way too big for those kids faces I would have thought, looks like a huge gap either side of their cheeks for germs to get in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Yurt! wrote: »
    Not knowing the science of this, but is there a chance that the virus has had a further mutation within China?

Already reported a mutation was found

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Quoting from that report:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0206/1113470-coronavirus/
    The city of 11 million is facing a "severe" lack of beds, said Hu Lishan, a senior official in Wuhan, noting that there were 8,182 patients admitted to 28 hospitals that have a total of 8,254 beds.

Ireland total number of hospital beds = 14,200.

If it broke out here to same extent that would mean we'd need 3000 bed capacity for the people requiring hospital treatment when we already have hundreds on trolleys.

Thanks I cannot quote links etc, and am abed and unwell..

wakka12 wrote: »
    Think I heard that they are very ineffective if used improperly, which kids will.

Even in that picture above they dont look right, the masks look way too big for those kids faces I would have thought, looks like a huge gap either side of their cheeks for germs to get in.

The masks they recommend for this is N95 but something that has a metal bridge on nose to tighten will work and children can learn how to deal with them. I had mone try em on and practise taking them off using only elastic so they dont touch material over face. Talk about ott lol

I did a reverse image search for some reason. Apparently those kids look like an airsoft gun.

TQONWiX.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    1/4 of people admitted to hospital. Many more will have it and not need treatment

And many more are hiding in their apartments and dying in them to avoid going to the newly built ‘hospital/quarantine’ zone.

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    What age is that guy? He looks very young

His ID has 1985? on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,177 ✭✭✭✭josip

The whistleblower being among the victims is convenient for the Chinese authorities.
    A more suspicious boardsie than me would be suggesting an autopsy.

josip wrote: »
    The whistleblower being among the victims is convenient for the Chinese authorities.
    A more suspicious boardsie than me would be suggesting an autopsy.

My thoughts too. Deliberately infected.

35 years old, young enough, he must of got the full blown spiked version.

Interesting approach in Singapore.

WRUzL1Y.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Im curious

To the people who normally order Chinese takeaways.

Has this put you off ordering a Chinese takeaway?

I usually got one on the weekends but I haven't ordered one since I found out about this virus.

The guys who owns the chinese takeaways near me is from Vietnam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The guys who owns the chinese takeaways near me is from Vietnam.

Mine has a scouse accent :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Im curious

To the people who normally order Chinese takeaways.

Has this put you off ordering a Chinese takeaway?

I usually got one on the weekends but I haven't ordered one since I found out about this virus.

Assuming not a troll, It is not a genetic thing, Also Chinese take away food is as Irish as it comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Interesting approach in Singapore.

WRUzL1Y.jpg

Considering the 14 day incubation period I think that is bad advice, It can become contagious before the victim feels the effects.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement