Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Im curious

To the people who normally order Chinese takeaways.

Has this put you off ordering a Chinese takeaway?

I usually got one on the weekends but I haven't ordered one since I found out about this virus.

The salon that does my nails are all Chinese, I haven't been in since christmas and am very weary about going back any time soon..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

We should ask Dr John to join our community here.

Didn't he say that it can survive for up to 28 days on a surface?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Assuming not a troll, It is not a genetic thing, Also Chinese take away food is as Irish as it comes.

I know its not a genetic thing. I just have an irrational fear of ordering Chinese Food at the moment.

I’m not sure, CC. I haven’t watched to all his videos yet.

Chinese doctor Li Wenliang the first to warn about COV and who was detained by Chinese authorities has apparently just died of the illness, I can't find a link as yet. RIP Li Wenliang.

Bit suspiscious tbh as very recently the High Court backed him leaking it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,305 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Assuming not a troll, It is not a genetic thing, Also Chinese take away food is as Irish as it comes.

It may be reasonable to limit contact with people who've recently been to China, and most likely people to have been to China are Chinese people...
    People who haven't been to China are AOK.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I’m not sure, CC. I haven’t watched to all his videos yet.
    He's good, but to be perfectly honest I find him sluggish to watch. To the degree I tend to hit fast forward or mumble "get on with it man!!!" to myself. His 20 minute vids could be cut down to five and impart exactly the same info.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

khalessi wrote: »
    My thoughts too. Deliberately infected.

Kind of like the Holocause tbh. None of the soldiers/doctors/guards could think about it too much as it was 'somebody elses fault'.

No, I'm not saying this is a Holocaust, but it is so easy to keep someone isolated until they get infected (don't even have to infect them tbh) and then 'Oh, the rooms cold', 'Oh, we've run out of water', 'Doctor, there's an eight year old girl who needs your helo'.

Tbh, a man of his age and most probably health shouldn't have died from it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Im curious

I usually got one on the weekends but I haven't ordered one since I found out about this virus.

My local chinese takeaway is run by a vietnamese family so i think i will still risk it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The doctors and nurses involved are truly awe-inspiring. RIP

Don't like the look of him dying from that though... pretty young. If he didn't have an underlying condition what were his supposed chances of dying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

Considering the 14 day incubation period I think that is bad advice, It can become contagious before the victim feels the effects.

This is good advice from Singapore.

If you have no symptoms, the mask is not that helpful because you will not be coughing or sneezing. Main purpose of the mask is it blocks particles from sneezes and coughs travelling.

Wearing a mask for too long is unhygienic.

Wash your hands well every hour. Dont touch your face at all, unless just after washing hands.

Stay a good distance from people coughing and sneezing.

Sneeze, cough into tissues and throw them away. Wash hands after any sneezing and coughing.

Masks give a false sense of security.

Wibbs wrote: »
    He's good, but to be perfectly honest I find him sluggish to watch. To the degree I tend to hit fast forward or mumble "get on with it man!!!" to myself. His 20 minute vids could be cut down to five and impart exactly the same info.

Interesting guy. I think he's a teacher in Asia and Africa as a side gig?

He quoted a study using similar viruses, that found in the right conditions, they could survive up to 28 days. Since that sort of information isn't available for this virus, it is merely possible but certainly not definite. That's assuming that it's not too hot, not too cold, metal surface, undisturbed etc.

I don't find him sluggish at all. Despite the topic, I find the videos interesting and almost relaxing to watch! Maybe I'm just weird :D

I'm weird :D

Uh huh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Tbh, a man of his age and most probably health shouldn't have died from it imo.

How was his health?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Terrible news when doctors and nurses pass away fighting this, RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Yes, but he was comparing to SARS as it's similar and they know SARS can survive from 6-28 days on a surface. So yeah.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Terrible news when doctors and nurses pass away fighting this, RIP

That's a sign you're losing the war...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

There’s an Irish couple on that quarantined cruise ship.

Forward to 3.20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

• Advertisement

A 16-year-old girl outside Hanoi caught it from a family member who had been in Wuhan and got sick. HCM and much of central Vietnam have said no school again next week. I predict it will be the same in Hanoi.

wakka12 wrote: »

If I read the report correctly, the two cases are 27 and 41 year old males, no mention of other health conditions. Concerning.

Against that, 25 are stable or improving, and one has been discharged.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If I read the report correctly, the two cases are 27 and 41 year old males, no mention of other health conditions. Concerning.

Against that, 25 are stable or improving, and one has been discharged.

Sorry must have posted the wrong link.
    https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/wuhan-virus-coronavirus-singapore-cases-number-12401016
    '"Of the earlier confirmed cases, MOH said that two patients' conditions have worsened; with one in critical condition in intensive care unit. Another requires additional oxygen support. "
    I believe ICU means critical conditiion and oxygen support is serious

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    There’s an Irish couple on that quarantined cruise ship.

Forward to 3.20

Imagine the amount of shagging they'd be at passing the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I've heard that one of the cases in Ireland has tested positive, but that the HSE don't want to go public and cause panic. I take these things with a pinch of salt so not sure if it's true or not...

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-third-confirmed-case-in-uk-11927624
    Third UK patient contracted Ncov outside China. That is an alarming number of new cases today who contracted it with no travel history to China

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Mass quarantine camps for Wuhan: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/06/world/asia/coronavirus-china.html

That’s not a good sign.

Hmmm, that's bad. Singapore has an excellent health care and is hot and humid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Im curious

Yes, but only after reading extensively on the wet markets and the huge volume of ****e they eat over there.

Has me really wondering about the quality. Disgusting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I stayed off twitter for a few days as I couldnt keep looking at whats going on - went back on today and instantly regretted it.

The chinese are turning stadiums and halls into what only can be described as death camps - dragging people out of their homes and bringing them to said camps - putting people walking on the street into boxes on the back of pickup trucks - thats a nasty video! the absolute terror over there is tragic.

Morgues and crematoriums reporting 100 bodies a day, dont have the manpower to even lift them and have no body bags.

Videos now surfacing of apartments being opened and bodies of everyone inside.

Not sure how real it is but 1 kid jumped out his window after calling for assistance for one of his parents - from a height - but that one may be fake.

This is not good, people should be taking real precautions at this stage even over here.

• Advertisement

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Yes, but only after reading extensively on the wet markets and the huge volume of ****e they eat over there.

Has me really wondering about the quality. Disgusting

the food in chinese takeaways here bears no relation to food in china.

Sorry must have posted the wrong link.
    https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/wuhan-virus-coronavirus-singapore-cases-number-12401016
    '"Of the earlier confirmed cases, MOH said that two patients' conditions have worsened; with one in critical condition in intensive care unit. Another requires additional oxygen support. "
    I believe ICU means critical conditiion and oxygen support is serious

Hmmm, it's possible that they are in ICU for mundane reasons tbh. https://www.regencymedicalcentre.com/patients-in-the-intensive-care-unit/ It's less intensive care sometimes and more being watched by more proffesional doctors, which I imagine a novel virus is becuase it's new.

Taiwan freaks me out more. They are an independent country and they do not seem to be getting support from the WHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    That's a sign you're losing the war...

And that they should accept help from other countries perhaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

the food in chinese takeaways here bears no relation to food in china.

I know that and I know food safety standards here are maintained high by the FSAI. But it is in my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I've heard that one of the cases in Ireland has tested positive, but that the HSE don't want to go public and cause panic. I take these things with a pinch of salt so not sure if it's true or not...
    They tried to bury the story about the guy who broke his neck after falling off a trolley in the A&E in UHL. I found "legal removals" of it on a couple of newspaper sites before one dug their heels in and it went properly public.

This is evidence of recent suppression of news about what happens in hospitals in Ireland for political purposes. Therefore I believe they might suppress news about people infected with Coronavirus here until after the election.

ardinn wrote: »
    I stayed off twitter for a few days as I couldnt keep looking at whats going on - went back on today and instantly regretted it.

The chinese are turning stadiums and halls into what only can be described as death camps - dragging people out of their homes and bringing them to said camps - putting people walking on the street into boxes on the back of pickup trucks - thats a nasty video! the absolute terror over there is tragic.

Morgues and crematoriums reporting 100 bodies a day, dont have the manpower to even lift them and have no body bags.

Videos now surfacing of apartments being opened and bodies of everyone inside.

Not sure how real it is but 1 kid jumped out his window after calling for assistance for one of his parents - from a height - but that one may be fake.

This is not good, people should be taking real precautions at this stage even over here.
    Links for each?

Links for each?

Why would you want them? They sound comically fake.

WjxrWJi.png

2u883r.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 lolanacho

From RTE:
    Coronavirus Protection Packs to be sent to GPS and Clinics

Among what it says it’s this:

“”””Interim Director of the Health Protection Surveillance Centre Dr John Cuddihy said the ability of the virus to transmit from person to person is limited””””

Can’t believe he’s just said that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

lolanacho wrote: »
    From RTE:

“”””Interim Director of the Health Protection Surveillance Centre Dr John Cuddihy said the ability of the virus to transmit from person to person is limited””””

The folks in China must be all sneezing in each others faces so :eek:. How on earth did he come to that conclusion.

Where’s your info coming from. Not looking for names but a general hint.

From RTE:

So why do clinics need PROTECTION PACKs if it is so limited?

Did he give this presentation wearing big red shoes and a clown outfit?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

As if the HSE would repeat the mistakes China made last month. If its confirmed we will be told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

imfml wrote: »
    As if the HSE would repeat the mistakes China made last month. If its confirmed we will be told.
    There is a general election and people are already angry about the state of the health service. They have recently attempted and failed to bury a negative story about the state of the health service. Delaying an announcement by 48 hours strikes me as something they might be capable of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

3odsbf.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Why would you want them? They sound comically fake.

Have you seen these videos? They look far, far, far from comically fake. The opposite, disturbingly real. The quality of acting talent must be through the absolute roof if all of these videos are fake. I can only assume you haven't seen them, but if you have, care to offer how (and why) folks are making such elaborate and realistic fake videos?

Just a few I've seen

- Corpses lying on otherwise empty streets
    - People literally dropping and going into fits (this is a real complication, regardless of whether the videos are real)
    - Apartment of family, of various ages, all dead
    - Screaming woman and BF being bundled into a relatively small box on back of a truck. Sounds incredible, but the woman is very convincingly upset!!!

The above are just a few, hope to Christ every one of them is fake, but that's even more improbable than them actually being fake, considering the amount of similar content out there.

From RTE:

Wtf? Just happened almost 30,000 times is all..minimum!

givyjoe wrote: »
    Have you seen these videos? They look far, far, far from comically fake. The opposite, disturbingly real. The quality of acting talent must be through the absolute roof if all of these videos are fake. I can only assume you haven't seen them, but if you have, care to offer how (and why) folks are making such elaborate and realistic fake videos?

Just a few I've seen

- Corpses lying on otherwise empty streets
    - People literally dropping and going into fits (this is a real complication, regardless of whether the videos are real)
    - Apartment of family, of various ages, all dead
    - Screaming woman and BF being bundled into a relatively small box on back of a truck. Sounds incredible, but the woman is very convincingly upset!!!

The above are just a few, hope to Christ every one of them is fake, but that's even more improbable than them actually being fake, considering the amount of similar content out there.

what videos? links?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_e_rGKnekII

WHO recent press conference.
    They're not saying much.

From RTE:

He might be correct. It does seem to be less contagious than common cold imo. Otherwise everybody would have gotten it on that ship

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement