Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

what videos? links?

If you really want to see them, ontwitter, just click into the trending, then stories of Coronavirus and start scrolling or #coronavirus. But honestly, this is grim stuff.

Like I said, hopefully fake, but there is just too much realistic and similarly themed content for it to be fake. Some maybe old videos and not related.

I'm still hoping this isn't as bad is appears to really be, and watching the stats outside of China like a hawk. As I've said in a few posts, we (everywhere but China) are seriously early in the outbreak compared to China. While we do have a headstart on prepping for this, we have one major disadvantage in that we can't /wont lock down like China has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Is China handling this badly?

Bit slow to quarantine?
    I don't think any other country could lock down a city

Build a giant hospital:
    I don't think any other nation could do it as quick.

China has done things I wouldn't believe are possible during this virus.

Slow to give out transparent information:
    Sure that's true, but I can't see other countries doing it differently. Look at H1N1, Between 8,870 and 18,300 deaths in the United States and up to 203,000 deaths worldwide in 2009. I didn't remember a big commotion then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

givyjoe wrote: »
    If you really want to see them, ontwitter, just click into the trending, then stories of Coronavirus and start scrolling or #coronavirus. But honestly, this is grim stuff.

Like I said, hopefully fake, but there is just too much realistic and similarly themed content for it to be fake. Some maybe old videos and not related.

I'm still hoping this isn't as bad is appears to really be, and watching the stats outside of China like a hawk. As I've said in a few posts, we (everywhere but China) are seriously early in the outbreak compared to China. While we do have a headstart on prepping for this, we have one major disadvantage in that we can't /wont lock down like China has.

Why are you so reluctant to post these tweets? Boards supports embedded tweets.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Is China handling this badly?

Bit slow to quarantine?
    I don't think any other country could lock down a city

Build a giant hospital:
    I don't think any other nation could do it as quick.

China has done things I wouldn't believe are possible during this virus.

Slow to give out transparent information:
    Sure that's true, but I can't see other countries doing it differently. Look at H1N1, Between 8,870 and 18,300 deaths in the United States and up to 203,000 deaths worldwide in 2009. I didn't remember a big commotion then.

True, I think the real problem will be if it takes hold in a country that is unable to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Apparently the doctor isnt dead after all. Who knows what the truth is, it really is impossible to believe anything coming out of china right now. Take everything with a grain of salt.

I watched a couple of those videos and some do look fake tbh. Just remember that there are definitely people out there who would go to those lengths to make videos like that just to freak people out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

With regards to the Twitter vid. with the people supposedly in the box, can anyone translate what the Chinese characters on the side of the pickup say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

There is a couple where I work who returned from China on Sunday and are just doing self quarantine at home before coming back into the office this Monday. They didn't mention any checks on them before flying home. I can't recall the City they were in but it was about 700km from the outbreak and at the time of leaving for their flight, they said there was apparently 100 confirmed cases in the City they were staying in.

I was just looking at public snaps of Wuhan. Still the same guy speaking Arabic who is driving around on empty streets.

There was one snap of a load of dirt being dropped on a road to block it.

Some snaps from the same kids from the other day. I have a feeling they are in a small private school. No snaps from the outside off them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

tony1980 wrote: »
    There is a couple where I work who returned from China on Sunday and are just doing self quarantine at home before coming back into the office this Monday. They didn't mention any checks on them before flying home. I can't recall the City they were in but it was about 700km from the outbreak and at the time of leaving for their flight, they said there was apparently 100 confirmed cases in the City they were staying in.

Yeah they should be staying at home for two weeks at least. Unfortunately the Irish government are relying on other countries to filter suspect cases as we have no direct flights, typically naive and lazy attitude.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Apparently the doctor isnt dead after all. Who knows what the truth is, it really is impossible to believe anything coming out of china right now. Take everything with a grain of salt.

I watched a couple of those videos and some do look fake tbh. Just remember that there are definitely people out there who would go to those lengths to make videos like that just to freak people out.

Any link for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I've heard that one of the cases in Ireland has tested positive, but that the HSE don't want to go public and cause panic. I take these things with a pinch of salt so not sure if it's true or not...

Seriously - where'd you hear it from?

VinLieger wrote: »
    Yeah they should be staying at home for two weeks at least. Unfortunately the Irish government are relying on other countries to filter suspect cases as we have no direct flights, typically naive and lazy attitude.

I thought that myself and I felt like bringing it up but have not because of fear people might think i am been overly dramatic. I haven't really paid too much attention to it tbh until I knew they were coming home, we thought they might be another month as they were there for a family emergency the past 6 weeks. Perhaps I should just take next week off :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I thought that myself and I felt like bringing it up but have not because of fear people might think i am been overly dramatic. I haven't really paid too much attention to it tbh until I knew they were coming home, we thought they might be another month as they were there for a family emergency the past 6 weeks. Perhaps I should just take next week off :P

i certainly wouldn't be going anywhere near them just in case.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Seriously - where'd you hear it from?

I think it's safe to assume that most unsubstantiated claims come from twitter or some random whatsapp group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

imfml wrote: »
    As if the HSE would repeat the mistakes China made last month. If its confirmed we will be told.

Yeah it wouldn’t be like the HSE to hold back information...like the cervical cancer scandal for instance...

i certainly wouldn't be going anywhere near them just in case.

Not much choice unless I take 5 days annual leave...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

tuxy wrote: »
    I think it's safe to assume that most unsubstantiated claims come from twitter or some random whatsapp group.

This isn’t the case for me and I was told in person but obviously I can’t post the details publicly on Boards and get in trouble! Like I said, take it with a pinch of salt, I am doing so myself.

• Advertisement

Any hint on what Irish case is confirmed then, the Dublin. Cork or Kerry case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Why is it headlining so much around the world, with flights stopped coming from area, huge hospitals built in days, people locked in in their homes, on board huge ships, and China asking for assistance with masks and so on, it has to be a huge problem

Have you seen these videos? They look far, far, far from comically fake. The opposite, disturbingly real. The quality of acting talent must be through the absolute roof if all of these videos are fake. I can only assume you haven't seen them, but if you have, care to offer how (and why) folks are making such elaborate and realistic fake videos?

Just a few I've seen

- Corpses lying on otherwise empty streets
    - People literally dropping and going into fits (this is a real complication, regardless of whether the videos are real)
    - Apartment of family, of various ages, all dead
    - Screaming woman and BF being bundled into a relatively small box on back of a truck. Sounds incredible, but the woman is very convincingly upset!!!

The above are just a few, hope to Christ every one of them is fake, but that's even more improbable than them actually being fake, considering the amount of similar content out there.

I have not seen them, but if it is true, it is disturbing

Any link for this.

His death confirmed by the BBC https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51403795

goat2 wrote: »
    Why is it headlining so much around the world, with flights stopped coming from area, huge hospitals built in days, people locked in in their homes, on board huge ships, and China asking for assistance with masks and so on, it has to be a huge problem

You need to read the post I'm quoting for context.
    Please don't take my post and apply it to something unconnected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

Only god knows tbh as China seems to be locked down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3871594

&

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/image-deleted-from-tencent-sparks-doubt-about-official-virus-tally/news-story/54736a213dddd2e6d8d9d0b382ca34b6

Tencent briefly lists 154,023 infections and 24,589 deaths from Wuhan coronavirus.

Hard to know what to believe except that if the virus was affecting the number of people purported here, the draconian steps taken would make a lot of sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

It is hard to believe the videos are real because they are not verified by any reputable sources, no other reason. I'm not going to judge the authenticity of a video based on how convincing it seems

I watched that last night, He was a brave man, and the way he was treated for letting truth be known, it was terrible, shows it is al about power and money, and to hell with the small man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Any link for this.

Go to the China_Flu subreddit and you'll see a few links there. Eg:https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/ezv4lg/dr_li_wenliang_one_of_the_first_whistleblower_of/

Allegedly, 3 hours after death he has been hooked up to life support. The government knew they were facing a huge backlash about it so ordered it to be done. Barbaric if true. Wtf

Here is another link where apparently the hospital has confirmed he isnt dead

https://mobile.twitter.com/globaltimesnews/status/1225463450354110466?s=19

Why are you so reluctant to post these tweets? Boards supports embedded tweets.

Just go and look for yourself. I literally gave detailed steps. Was In work looking at Twitter on the mobile, and posting here on the desktop.

Feel free to disbelieve if you wish, I'm just not going collecting a load of grim links to post here. You can easily find them for yourself.

As I've said, I'm open to some logical explanation as to how/why such unbelievably convincing/harrowing videos are being faked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Nijmegen wrote: »
    https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3871594

&

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/image-deleted-from-tencent-sparks-doubt-about-official-virus-tally/news-story/54736a213dddd2e6d8d9d0b382ca34b6

Tencent briefly lists 154,023 infections and 24,589 deaths from Wuhan coronavirus.

Hard to know what to believe except that if the virus was affecting the number of people purported here, the draconian steps taken would make a lot of sense.
    This is a big deal. They are huge and have massive influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Roh kay :( I looked up #coronavirus and clicked on videos to see what all the fuss is about and now I regret it. Something worse than I feared - to be honest I had not been concerned much - is going on.
    Hmmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/ezvxen/case_not_related_to_china_in_south_korea/
    Another similar case, new infection in Korea, no travel to China, woman was infected in Thailand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

This is a big deal. They are huge and have massive influence.

Yes Tencent are huge but it could just as easily have been a mistake, if its such a big secret they arent going to go and give the site developer both the real numbers and fake numbers.

Just went on to Twitter put in hashtag Coronavirus and then clicked onto videos.

The HSE have a link up (like a banner ad?) right at the top. Is this new or has it been there a while?

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/ezvxen/case_not_related_to_china_in_south_korea/
    Another similar case, new infection in Korea, no travel to China, woman was infected in Thailand.

Feck my flatmate is in Thailand on holiday at the moment, has been there since last Tuesday and will be back next week. Maybe I'll have to buy latex gloves and spray disinfectant and keep my distant from him. :)

That's hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They're asleep on the Job. The Chairman won't like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Strange. I was talking to a guy who is very far from the outbreak and had 3 checks , one a few KMs from the airport and then 2 in the airport. Everyone was oblige to use masks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Have you seen these videos? They look far, far, far from comically fake. The opposite, disturbingly real. The quality of acting talent must be through the absolute roof if all of these videos are fake. I can only assume you haven't seen them, but if you have, care to offer how (and why) folks are making such elaborate and realistic fake videos?

Just a few I've seen

- Corpses lying on otherwise empty streets
    - People literally dropping and going into fits (this is a real complication, regardless of whether the videos are real)
    - Apartment of family, of various ages, all dead
    - Screaming woman and BF being bundled into a relatively small box on back of a truck. Sounds incredible, but the woman is very convincingly upset!!!

The above are just a few, hope to Christ every one of them is fake, but that's even more improbable than them actually being fake, considering the amount of similar content out there.

Everything ABG hears is fake - im sure he thinks there isnt even a virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Whoever was asking about the truck with the box has something like 'Environmental inspections'

Feck my flatmate is in Thailand on holiday at the moment, has been there since last Tuesday and will be back next week. Maybe I'll have to buy latex gloves and spray disinfectant and keep my distant from him. :)

You would have had to do that anyway!

You would have had to do that anyway!

That is the most hilarious thing I've ever read on this site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Our Government are such tight bastards
    THE GOVERNMENT HAS allocated €500,000 to the World Health Organization (WHO) to assist its work to help control the spread of the coronavirus.
    The WHO has requested around €610 million in funding from world nations to combat the spread of the novel virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

What does the HSE coronavirus protection pack contain exactly?

mikeecho wrote: »
    What does the HSE coronavirus protection pack contain exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

VinLieger wrote: »
    Yes Tencent are huge but it could just as easily have been a mistake, if its such a big secret they arent going to go and give the site developer both the real numbers and fake numbers.
    I imagine they have a decent CMS and don't need to provide content to the developer to publish it. Simplest explanation is that the figures were reported and they were told to pull them.

• Advertisement

Our Government are such tight bastards

That's embaressing tbh. I mean Ireland is one of the top tier countries on the planet?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement