Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,066 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Wuhan's new 1,000 bed hospital, due to be completed in 6 days.

That is some capital project undertaking

_110638043_c0aa8744-0548-4d37-8b4f-92b74fe187e8.jpg

_110638789_059409238-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

Warning this is totally unverified atm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxIhGyi0YH8 ;

I can’t see how to turn on the subtitles. Is there any translation?

ETA. I worked it out, had to go to the desktop site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

That’s an unreal undertaking! Do they build national children’s hospitals?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

The fear virus is not deadly. It just makes people prone to overreacting.

i would not blink an eye to this normally, but i do not trust china 1 bit. second there is a huge reaction in China 50 million quarantined, unheard of the chinese normally dont give a fk about people so...
    finally i am used to probability and statistics, one effected in auz was on a380 with 500 plus passages, never mind the 2 thousand in Uk who came from there.
    this is bad at the moment but it could get a lot worse very quick, which nobody wants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

if this is true we are all fkd

Hmmm, I'm only watching the beginning but her 14 comment is the same as the Hong Kong Virologist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

x25 provences (in HK with schools now shut), of China (over 50m) now under Level 1 travel alerts (lockdowns).
    In Wuhan the ban extends to private cars and public buses.

Can't see the logic of some states such as US/France trying to evacuate hundreds of it's citizens on private charter flights.
    Surely this only increases the risks.

It's likely any rumours of 2nd stage mutation are false (hopefully!) at this early stage.

i would not blink an eye to this normally, but i do not trust china 1 bit. second there is a huge reaction in China 50 million quarantined, unheard of the chinese normally dont give a fk about people so...
    finally i am used to probability and statistics, one effected in auz was on a380 with 500 plus passages, never mind the 2 thousand in Uk who came from there.
    this is bad at the moment but it could get a lot worse very quick, which nobody wants

If the virus mutates and turns deadly then we are fooked.
    At the moment only (1 is too many) 41 have died out of 1000’s that have been infected.
    We don’t know did these 41 have underlying issues?
    Most importantly we don’t know can we trust these numbers issued by the Chinese government.
    A good yardstick of how worried the Chinese government are is the lockdown of 60+ million plus building two hospitals in 15 days.
    If this virus becomes more deadly, then yeah we could be in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

x25 provences (in HK with schools now shut), of China (over 50m) now under Level 1 travel alerts (lockdowns).
    In Wuhan the ban extends to private cars and public buses.

Can't see the logic of some states such as US/France trying to evacuate hundreds of it's citizens on private charter flights.
    Surely this only increases the risks.

It's likely any rumours of 2nd stage mutation are false (hopefully!) at this early stage.

very true. the problem is normally a 1k base on u tube false etc but china are deleting and censoring so much its hard tell.
    the other factor is there a few hundred million phones in china, more will come out if true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

tom1ie wrote: »
    That’s an unreal undertaking! Do they build national children’s hospitals?!

I reckon it will be some job when done. (Not our children's hospital which is 4 times over budget, behind schedule and in the wrong location)

The whole world's eyes are on them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Coronaviruses mutate easily.
    There can jump from animals to humans. This one already has.
    There are already 7 strains known to infect humans. 4 of the strains cause common colds. Two other strains (SARS & MERS) are already 'deadly' in certain circumstances.
    The new Wuhan virus appears to be milder than SARS or MERS.

MERS killed about a third of those infected while SARS resulted in the deaths of about one in 10. Why aren't you worried about SARS/MERS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Heighway61

At the moment only (1 is too many) 41 have died out of 1000’s that have been infected.
    We don’t know did these 41 have underlying issues?
    Most importantly we don’t know can we trust these numbers issued by the Chinese government.
    A good yardstick of how worried the Chinese government are is the lockdown of 60+ million plus building two hospitals in 15 days.
    If this virus becomes more deadly, then yeah we could be in trouble.
    My sister lives in Shenzhen but is bunkered down in Meizhou. She says infections are now 3-4 million in number and Korea is in a panic with the lid firmly clamped down on reporting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Heighway61 wrote: »
    My sister lives in Shenzhen but is bunkered down in Meizhou. She says infections are now 3-4 million in number and Korea is in a panic with the lid firmly clamped down on reporting.

Korea has a free press, there's no clampdown on reporting and no panic in the country. Both cases were identified at the port of entry via screening technology that they have deployed for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Emergency containment and quarantine facility, not a hospital on the full sense . All infected or those with fever will be funneled to these centers to prevent cross infections in actual hospitals.

There are already 7 strains known to infect humans. 4 of the strains cause common colds. Two other strains (SARS & MERS) are already 'deadly' in certain circumstances.

MERS killed about a third of those infected while SARS resulted in the deaths of about one in 10. Why aren't you worried about SARS/MERS?

Because wuhan seems to be spreading much faster and there is potential to mutate further no?
    Plus we are not in the middle of a global pandemic of SARS/MERS at the moment unlike wuhan.

Just to add I’m not worried at the moment unless the mortality rate dramatically rises from those that have already been infected.

I bekieve SARS was estimated to have killed 2 in 100 infected.
    It was an extremely dangerous virus still, especially to medical personnel.

Because wuhan seems to be spreading much faster and there is potential to mutate further no?
    Plus we are not in the middle of a global pandemic of SARS/MERS at the moment unlike wuhan.

Just to add I’m not worried at the moment unless the mortality rate dramatically rises from those that have already been infected.

Usually viruses mutate to become less lethal as they will spread faster and last longer in the host that way. Let's hope this is the same. The reason this virus is spreading much quicker is probably due to the fact that it is far less lethal than SARS/MERS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Woah there. When did it become a global pandemic?

maninasia wrote: »
    Usually viruses mutate to become less lethal as they will spread faster and last longer in the host that way. Let's hope this is the same. The reason this virus is spreading much quicker is probably due to the fact that it is far less lethal than SARS/MERS.

Hopefully that’s the case. More than likely it will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,920 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Deadly Coronavirus nothing to do with piss-poor bottled lager, drinkers reassured:D

Although my guffaws will likely have mutated into racking coughs in a month or so...

irishgeo wrote: »

When it reached multiple continents:
    Europe
    Asia
    Australia
    North America.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,079 ✭✭✭circadian

Any information on the Korea panic because I'm just not seeing it.

Aragh if my aunt mutated, she'd be my uncle. He'd still be a pain in the ass.

Aragh if my aunt mutated, she'd be my uncle. He'd still be a pain in the ass.

Indeed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,066 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

irishgeo wrote: »
    When it reached multiple continents:
    Europe
    Asia
    Australia
    North America.

It'll never reach Madagascar

Not Ever...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Irish? I love how strangely quirky and invidual the Irish are and I hope we don't lose it tbh :D

Now, creepy thought. Wouldn't it be a better attack to use a disease that could cause long term fatigue or health issues to damage the economy and put stress on the government/healthcare than just killing people? You're friend is wrong, imo, but it does lead to some seriously creepy thoughts.

We have one such; and so do I. They call it CFS/ME and as it is not life threatening ? Does not count or matter t HSE..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Still ambiguous and uncertain where the pathogen originated from. Some claim, the wet markets in China or its a pathogen that got released from one of the biohazard labs in Wuhan?

Fact is there no cure. It down you our body to fight this off and get rid of it.  So i doubt it just age that will factor here, genetics will play a role in the fight.

Fact China scrambling to build makeshift, buildings, wards and rooms for the infected , the volume of infections is higher than they assert. Human to human contact and rumors of it it now airborne that's crazy to manage. The only way to stop in coming to Europe,  stop the infected from getting here, and isolate them immediately. If someone is infected and goes out in public places, it will spread like wildfire to everyone. 

Still ambiguous and uncertain where the pathogen originated from. Some claim, the wet markets in China or its a pathogen that got released from one of the biohazard labs in Wuhan?

Fact is there no cure. It down you our body to fight this off and get rid of it.  So i doubt it just age that will factor here, genetics will play a role in the fight.

Fact China scrambling to build makeshift, buildings, wards and rooms for the infected , the volume of infections is higher than they assert. Human to human contact and rumors of it it now airborne that's crazy to manage. The only way to stop in coming to Europe,  stop the infected from getting here, and isolate them immediately. If someone is infected and goes out in public places, it will spread like wildfire to everyone. 

It’s already in Europe. 3 confirmed cases in France. Cases being monitored in the uk.
    How do you know there’s no cure? Source please.

Wow, a doomday post from you and not one mention of nuclear holocaust? :D

maninasia wrote: »

We don't know how virulent the pathogen is. Comparing the data and mirroring it with Sers/ Mers is questionable. That's a comparison based on the number of infected and dead, the China state media is revealing, and maybe untrue? 

• Advertisement

It’s already in Europe. 3 confirmed cases in France. Cases being monitored in the uk.

What he means by 'cure' is that there are no vaccines or anti-viral treatments approved for the new coronavirus, but there is a race now to develop them. Some companies will make nice money from it. The lessons learned from the SARS vaccine will speed things up.
    In short, ignore him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

Its a virus, the whole definition is that there's no cure :P

Its a virus, the whole definition is that there's no cure :P

Yeah should’ve said anti-virus!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Reports suggest that Pres Xi has said the virus is 'accelerating' and urges people to come forward (not literaly), to report all cases.

What he means by 'cure' is that there are no vaccines or anti-viral treatments approved for the new coronavirus, but there is a race now to develop them. Some companies will make nice money from it. The lessons learned from the SARS vaccine will speed things up.
    In short, ignore him.

There no miracle drug that exists right now or licenced that can get rid of Sars. There certainly no miracle drug for this strand of the coronavirus. The only action the Chinese can do is close down the city and try to stop from getting out further to the population.. Best hope it just goes away on its own and they contain it. 

There no miracle drug that exists right now or licenced that can get rid of Sars. There certainly no miracle drug for this strand of the coronavirus. The only action the Chinese can do is close down the city and try to stop from getting out further to the population.. Best hope it just goes away on its own and they contain it. 

:confused: :rolleyes:
    Seriously you need to read up on how viruses and vaccines work. And then re-read my post.

• Advertisement

:confused: :rolleyes:
    Seriously you need to read up on how viruses and vaccines work. And then re-read my post.

Provide a link if you believe a vaccine for SARS exists? Otherwise it just nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Some of the material I have received over Wechat from China indicates to me that this is something closer to the Walking Dead than we are being told. The death toll is far far higher and the truth is being censored.

The virus has mutated and spiralling out of control, even with a 2% mortality rate it will nearly 200m people once it goes Global, and it will go global.

theguzman wrote: »
    Some of the material I have received over Wechat from China indicates to me that this is something closer to the Walking Dead than we are being told. The death toll is far far higher and the truth is being censored.

The virus has mutated and spiralling out of control, even with a 2% mortality rate it will nearly 200m people once it goes Global, and it will go global.

Those reports from China on wechat aren't very reliable, it will need some time to verify what's the real situation. We know the hospitals there are overwhelmed and chaotic right now though.

Provide a link if you believe a vaccine for SARS exists? Otherwise it just nonsense.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3371787/

https://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/infectious/sars-vaccine.htm

Stop talking about 'cures' and 'get rid of'.

theguzman wrote: »

It already is global. Multiple continents. It’s how deadly it is as opposed to how contagious it is at this stage, that will be what decides the barometer of this virus.

• Advertisement

SARS vaccine research started in 2002 or earlier and now 2020. No human vaccine/cure exists for SARS.

Providing links about SAR vaccine research in the past, just confirms my point here. They're no cure to fight this pathogen.. 

You can do better, if you believe there is a SAR vaccine, by providing the drug name and the manufacture?

SARS vaccine research started in 2002 or earlier and now 2020. No human vaccine/cure exists for SARS.

Providing links about SAR vaccine research in the past, just confirms my point here. They're no cure to fight this pathogen.. 

You can do better, if you believe there is a SAR vaccine, by providing the drug name and the manufacture?

Did you even read the links??? :confused:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/drugmakers-rush-to-develop-vaccines-against-china-virus-11579813026
    The NIAID had developed a vaccine against the SARS coronavirus during an epidemic in 2002 and 2003, but the SARS vaccine was shelved after the epidemic ended, Dr. Fauci said. That virus hasn’t reappeared since.
    In China, in 2004, researchers successfully vaccinated people with the SARS vaccine. They found that there were very few side effects associated with the SARS vaccine.

If there is another SARS outbreak in the future, the world will be well-equipped with an effective vaccine.

Moderna Inc., Inovio Pharmaceuticals Inc. and Novavax Inc. said Thursday they plan to develop vaccines against the newly identified viral strain.

Please stop using the word 'cure'. It shows a lack of understanding.

Did you even read the links??? :confused:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/drugmakers-rush-to-develop-vaccines-against-china-virus-11579813026

If there is another SARS outbreak in the future, the world will be well-equipped with an effective vaccine.

Moderna Inc., Inovio Pharmaceuticals Inc. and Novavax Inc. said Thursday they plan to develop vaccines against the newly identified viral strain.

Please stop using the word 'cure'. It shows a lack of understanding.

Dated 2016
    https://www.healthline.com/health/severe-acute-respiratory-syndrome-sars#treatment

Researchers are currently working on a vaccine for SARS, but there have been no human trials for any potential vaccine. Because there’s no confirmed treatment or cure for SARS, it’s important to take as many preventive measures as possible.

Here are some of the best ways to prevent transmission of SARS if you’re in close contact with someone who’s been diagnosed with the disease:

Wash your hands frequently.
    Wear disposable gloves if touching any infected bodily fluids.
    Wear a surgical mask when in the same room with a person with SARS.
    Disinfect surfaces that may have been contaminated with the virus.
    Wash all personal items, including bedding and utensils, used by a person with SARS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Chinese President admiting they don't have a handle on this at all seems to be the latest story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭bmc58

LaFuton wrote: »

Anyone see the photo of a Chinese woman eating a dead bat sitting in a bowl of "soup"?Revolting .No wonder there is a new virus around when people eat that kind of dangerous "food"!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Am I the only one thinking it's not a hospital but a mass grave they are digging in Wuhan?

Witchie wrote: »
    Am I the only one thinking it's not a hospital but a mass grave they are digging in Wuhan?

Just you.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Ha ha no, first thing MrPC7 said when he seen the diggers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If it were they would be doing it in secret; may well be but they are proud of their ability to build a hospital in 6 days.

You OK, Witchie? Look after yourself and stay home,

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement