Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Strange. I was talking to a guy who is very far from the outbreak and had 3 checks , one a few KMs from the airport and then 2 in the airport. Everyone was oblige to use masks.

Thought so myself. Same guy is a very down to earth calm guy and wouldn’t over sensationalize anything and on the phone to him this week, he did describe the streets there as been completely empty but didn’t describe anything like what’s been mentioned on Twitter. He never mentioned anything about checks prior to the airport so maybe they did get that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

mikeecho wrote: »
    What does the HSE coronavirus protection pack contain exactly?

Iodine tablets .......

Oh wait that was the last emergency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

tony1980 wrote: »
    Thought so myself. Same guy is a very down to earth calm guy and wouldn’t over sensationalize anything and on the phone to him this week, he did describe the streets there as been completely empty but didn’t describe anything like what’s been mentioned on Twitter. He never mentioned anything about checks prior to the airport so maybe they did get that.
    The guy I know says that his area is completely blocked to outsiders now, people are not even going out for food. They have taken lists of the numbers of people in his suburb and the government are delivering food into the areas.

As some one said earlier China is probably the country that can react to this epidemic in the most controlled fashion. Imagine people being told to stay in their house in Ireland and then provided with food by the government. It wouldn't work on a number of levels. We may find because of the Chinese reaction that the spread may be confined pretty quickly there but if it gets out to the rest of the world then it may take longer to control.

Interestingly the utube doctor said that he thinks it may be April before the virus plateaus in Wuhan with it numbers doubling every 6 days between then and now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

That's embaressing tbh. I mean Ireland is one of the top tier countries on the planet?

Let this sink in for a moment......

The Late Late Show host Ryan Tubridy topped the list, earning €495,000 per year.
    Television and radio presenter Ray D’Arcy was the second highest earner, with €450,000, which was €50,000 higher than the previous year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Nah, not iodine tablets. This requires the stiffest measures of all: flat Lucozade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

00RA5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

apparently that doctor didn't die

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Imagine people being told to stay in their house in Ireland and then provided with food by the government.

The breadpandemic would be unbearable :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

John Delaney , Bertie Ahearn. The wankin bankers. hard necked crooked pricks that is prevalent in our soceity . At least in England they resign when they get found out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    John Delaney , Bertie Ahearn. The wankin bankers. hard necked crooked pricks that is prevalent in our soceity . At least in England they resign when they get found out

I too blame John Delaney for the Coronavirus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

tuxy wrote: »
    True, I think the real problem will be if it takes hold in a country that is unable to do this.

China is so densely populated; in a country with lesser populace /more widely scattered? Will be easier?.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I find it a bit odd that we haven't yet seen sustained spread in countries outside of that particular area in China, yet within that area there has been explosive spread.

Early days maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I find it a bit odd that we haven't yet seen sustained spread in countries outside of that particular area in China, yet within that area there has been explosive spread.

Early days maybe.

8m+ people keen on wetmarket foods, all having a big outdoor bbq of sorts, and the escilating contagion allowed to run amock for the best part of a month by the authorities who didn't know how to handle it, or hoped it would disappear under a carpet using a sweeping brush.

Early days maybe.

It began there with the wet market? And was hushed up for a few days. So the source and thus a concentration there? After that , only person to person now and precautions working, so they have contained it well. Slower spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Xwebstar

When I first heard the phrase koronavirus

I thought it was something you got if you smoked a cigar while drinking a brandy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Graces7 wrote: »
    It began there with the wet market? And was hushed up for a few days..
    Best part of the month of Decemeber perhaps it was kept on the lowlow.

Yes Acc and Grace, thanks.

The wet Market has been shut for a good while now, all of these new cases every day must be from h2h. Maybe it just takes a while for the numbers go up; I hope it's something to do with that area in China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Some serious, bordering on delusional misinformation on twitter.

One video showing how easy it is to doctor an element in Chrome to change that Tencent number.
    One showing a man being chased around by unarmed police in uniform. Five days ago, all the police had white coats and were armed. Either they've stopped protecting themselves (seems strange for police in China) or the video has nothing to do with the virus.
    Another video where two doctors are chatting about 6-7 corpses being kept in the ED because the funeral home is full. Caption says "bodies everywhere". 6-7 is bad, but not an accurate description.
    They also mention in their conversation, according to subtitles, that there is only ONE funeral home for the victims (read as one crematorium? are most buried in China? Is cremation widespread?)
    Crematoria do not have huge capacities. It would not take many deaths to overwhelm a single one. This would certainly question earlier reports that there would have be exponentially more deaths than reported to have them "all running 24/7".
    Videos of people fitting. Dr John Campbell very clear he has NEVER seen any adult fit from a virus.
    Videos of people burning pigs alive outed as irrelevant by those in the comments by those who saw it early last year.

Don't believe what you see. Fake news is a real phenomenon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,730 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

sdanseo wrote: »
    One video showing how easy it is to doctor an element in Chrome to change that Tencent number.

Watched ADVChina - they have no agenda - he saw it when it happened on the site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

I live abroad...I speak to family regularly in Ireland almost daily.My dad would be old enough,he knows almost nothing about this coronavirus. He would have rte on the tv and maybe the radio.If there is a break out i feel like i will be giving him advice over the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

fritzelly wrote: »

The American guy is ok and speaks pretty good Chinese, but the South African guy is a complete dose, and has a chip on his shoulder.

Rvsmmnps wrote: »
    I live abroad...I speak to family regularly in Ireland almost daily.My dad would be old enough,he knows almost nothing about this coronavirus. He would have rte on the tv and maybe the radio.If there is a break out i feel like i will be giving him advice over the phone.

Same, regarding my parents.

There's a lack of information from the authorities, also lots of disinfo on social media.

There's a lack of information from the authorities, also lots of disinfo on social media.

To be fair it was the top story on RTE Radio 1 at lunchtime and had 1-2 mins dedicated to it.

The wet Market has been shut for a good while now, all of these new cases every day must be from h2h. Maybe it just takes a while for the numbers go up; I hope it's something to do with that area in China.

It was , ie that area in China, but folk have travelled and are spreading it person to person so no stopping it. It is loose now to spread but more slowly, Had the quarantine been enforced sooner there would have been less spread and slower. all the cases initially can be connected with someone from China but then it gets spread as folk who are infected by someone from China and do not realise they have it as the incubation is slow, spread it in turn so it is loose and free now. No longer confined.

Deeply glad I am where I am. Almost no human contacts .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

There was a huge banquet with "40000 families" too that took place in the most affected region before cases exploded. That has got to account for a large number of infections and the subsequent passing on of the virus to others. Imagine how big the chain created by that many people would be.

Hopefully the fact that the rest of the world has become aware of this before it gained such a foothold anywhere else will help to curtail the spread outside of China

Edit: I'm a mupppet. The WHO logo in fact IS a snake.

Still think the channel has an agenda.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Probably the same as any other light CBRN personal protection pack; a ffp3 mask, goggles, a single use protective suit rated Type3-B, a pair of disposable latex gloves and a pair of reusable rubber gloves

They don't actually cost very much money to put together

Not sure I'll be using a youtube channel which has doctored the WHO logo to include a snake for their background

Huh?

100px-Who_logo.svg.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Some serious, bordering on delusional misinformation on twitter.

Videos of people fitting. Dr John Campbell very clear he has NEVER seen any adult fit from a virus.

Id agree with the above, but fitting and having the shakes from fever are 2 different things - I got a flu last year and shook so hard I nearly called an ambulance while otherwise feeling quite ok.

A good flu will cause you to shake like hell at times. Been there!

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »

Deeply glad I am where I am. Almost no human contacts .

Where are you?

Any room for a visitor?

ardinn wrote: »
    Where are you?

Any room for a visitor?

The boat’s been and gone. There’s a storm a comin’

:D

The boat’s been and gone. There’s a storm a comin’

:D

Mask slipping on a coronavirus thread?? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Not sure I'll be using a youtube channel which has doctored the WHO logo to include a snake for their background as my primary source of information. No better than your average conspiracy theorist.

I'm sure they have a point about some corruption but doing that shows a massive agenda in my view.

What is wrong with people?
    They don't know what staff of asclepius is and they also don't know that medical terms are usually in Latin and you can see similar words used in Latin based languages.

Huh?

100px-Who_logo.svg.png

Ugh. My post edited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The infected British person is belived to have contracted it in Singapore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Following video originally published on a Chinese language Twitter feed. As to it being genuine or otherwise - It is consistent with other videos showing warehouse / stadiums fulll of beds but little else apparently

Considering that CCP are cracking down on anyone publishing 'rumour' - I can only presume such videos (if genuine) are being emailed out of China and then published.

https://twitter.com/ThierryJFT/status/1225418029019865088?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Our Government are such tight bastards

China is one of the richest nations in the world, how the heck is there so many viruses coming from there, what are their health and safety efforts like, how have they not learned from past mistakes, beats me,
    They would eat bats and such like, they are putting themselves in danger all the time with this kind of stuff

goat2 wrote: »
    China is one of the richest nations in the world, how the heck is there so many viruses coming from there, what are their health and safety efforts like, how have they not learned from past mistakes, beats me,
    They would eat bats and such like, they are putting themselves in danger all the time with this kind of stuff

There are a lot of rich people but I dont know if you could say China is a rich country. I doubt the people eating bat soup are the rich ones

as requested earlier

EQHh1JUX0AATXQv?format=jpg&name=small

EQGy_YXU0AA9XZu?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

Videos too of people packing themselves into hospital corridors, fighting over toilet roll in crowded small shops and playing cards, masked up with no gloves. I know there is panic and boredom in isolation, but how have they haven't gripped the severity of this

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    There are a lot of rich people but I dont know if you could say China is a rich country. I doubt the people eating bat soup are the rich ones
    It is the second richest country in the world, which means this should never have happened, there are viruses that came from there before, and how they could not have put in place preventative measures is beyond me

Country might be rich but most people are poor

Here's another image...;)

EP6UkwuUUAYBa8r?format=jpg&name=360x360

1918 Spanish flu

This is a screenshot of the public Snapchat video I mentioned earlier.

664-ADA19-B310-424-B-874-A-A7658816-B8-FA.jpg

ardinn wrote: »
    as requested earlier

EQHh1JUX0AATXQv?format=jpg&name=small

EQGy_YXU0AA9XZu?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Looks eerily similar to old images of the spanish flu!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

They’re beds.

How are they going to staff that, between feeding, testing, toilet facilities, there is a lot of beds to keep going

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    They’re beds.

Yep, they're planning a really big communal sleepover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Just told my mate I'm buying some surgical masks. He was looked at me as if I was insane. Completely in the "Ah sure it will never hit here bracket".

All the data I've seen is frightening.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Just told my mate I'm buying some surgical masks. He was looked at me as if I was insane. Completely in the "Ah sure it will never hit here bracket".

All the data I've seen is frightening.

Yeah, my level of concern is still low right now.
    Just trying to evaluate all the uncertain information.

I remind my dad every year to get his flu shot.
    He never does.

It's called "old man's friend" for a reason.

How are they going to staff that, between feeding, testing, toilet facilities, there is a lot of beds to keep going

They are not staffing them, most are full now, run by the military, they are not medical facilities, they are quarantine facilities where you will basically lay down and wait to die.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement