Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

wakka12 wrote: »
    The infected British person is belived to have contracted it in Singapore.

Ethnicity?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Just told my mate I'm buying some surgical masks. He was looked at me as if I was insane. Completely in the "Ah sure it will never hit here bracket".

All the data I've seen is frightening.
    I've a couple of Warsaw pact NBC gas masks knocking about. One has spare filters sealed and only a few years old IIRC. No virus is getting through that. Sorted. Well... maybe not. Large chance of getting my collar felt by the Guards if I went into a shop wearing one. :eek: :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Also reminds me of the Fever Hospitals in WW2.

So, what's the general consensus ...is something being witheld by China, from the media?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Just told my mate I'm buying some surgical masks. He was looked at me as if I was insane. Completely in the "Ah sure it will never hit here bracket".

All the data I've seen is frightening.

Good luck with that, surgical masks have been sold out for quite some time, you’ll find half masks alright.

I’ve ran a few masks on Amazon through camelcamelcamel, some amount of price gouging.

We probably won’t need masks in Ireland, honestly can’t see it getting that bad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

So, what's the general consensus ...is something being witheld by China, from the media?

Yeah, I'd like to know this too, but I'm not willing to give much faith on the rumours going around.

China has seemed to have learned from its mishandling of the SARS epidemic. The WHO seem to be happy with the communication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I dont think that it's any more serious than the rates we are seeing tbh, maybe even less so. It just that they dropped the ball at the beginning of this outbreak and allowed it to spread a lot further than it would have if they hadn't tried to cover it up. Now they are doing whatever they can to try and stop it, even things that we would consider criminal, because the economy and by extension that of most of the rest of the world is ****ed. Production being halted by many top companies like apple, Hyundai, tesla etc is a big deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd like to know this too, but I'm not willing to give much faith on the rumours going around.

China has seemed to have learned from its mishandling of the SARS epidemic. The WHO seem to be happy with the communication.

Having said that, there have been two odd stories out today.

Firstly, the point about communications between UK and China.

Also, this whistle-blower doc who died or didn't die.

So much uncertainty, big test of international communication.

I also made a comment earlier about how shutting down travel with China could impact on the global supply chain, this event being a test of global integration.

A lot of the essential drugs we use for clinical care, come from... China.

Never mind the economic side effects.
    I know that stocks boomed today after taking an initial hit, but let that never be a measure.

• Advertisement

You bastard! You’re going to weld us into our homes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Dead again according to the latest update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Stark wrote: »

SO it's a Zombie virus, worse than we thought.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    You bastard! You’re going to weld us into our homes!
    :D Though that setup would protect you way more effectively than some paper type facemask. If this does go full poo hitting the propeller other options outside the box would be military surplus gas masks(post 90's, so no asbestos) and smoke hoods. Both would be cheap, less than 20-30 quid. And you have it left over for halloween. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

How are Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong looking numbers wise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

They’re beds.

Indeed...rather I was referring to the sheer number of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Update in 2 hours or so

https://news.qq.com//zt2020/page/feiyan.htm?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf#news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Stark wrote: »

Hmmmm, I wonder is he. Tbh, it is an important question as it might show how susceptible the Chinese government is to the people's 'grief and anger'

The number of deaths outside the epicenter is surprisingly low for the numbers infected - basically anyone over 80 is fecked but...I suppose they are still a ways behind Wuhan infections and deaths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

What I know, Cathay pacific will be in deep trouble if flights don't resume to normal schedule very soon. Hency why they told employees no pay for x3 weeks. Cebu pacific have lost over 100million in revenue. Klm and air France group have 10 wide body aircraft grounded loosing in the region of 100mill per day. All foreign chi a southern pilots have been let go, China easterns also. And I think all flights except one freight route between China and the US has stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Going by past history - I really dont have much confidence in any of the figures on the infection and mortality rates coming out of China. A lot of the Chinese goverment control is about citizens not causing the state embarrassment. I think that's going to return and bite them tbh.

sdanseo wrote: »
    Edit: I'm a mupppet. The WHO logo in fact IS a snake.

Still think the channel has an agenda.

They have an agenda. Vivi's mother (Laowhy guy) was actualy part of the people's republic army, and Serpentza's wife is a communist doctor rich enough to afford good plastic surgery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

fritzelly wrote: »

I see Taiwan is listed as a region and not an oversees country.

I see Taiwan is listed as a region and not an oversees country.

;)

There are currently 30,811 confirmed cases worldwide, including 635 fatalities.

That’s the update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

suggestion that Asians are more susceptible

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.01.26.919985v1.full
    We also noticed that the only Asian donor (male) has a much higher ACE2-expressing cell ratio than white and African American donors (2.50% vs. 0.47% of all cells). This might explain the observation that the new Coronavirus pandemic and previous SARS-Cov pandemic are concentrated in the Asian area.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Wibbs wrote: »
    :D Though that setup would protect you way more effectively than some paper type facemask. If this does go full poo hitting the propeller other options outside the box would be military surplus gas masks(post 90's, so no asbestos) and smoke hoods. Both would be cheap, less than 20-30 quid. And you have it left over for halloween. :D

Not very comfortable to wear though ;) A ffp3 mask (unless you have an odd shaped nose), a pair of goggles and disposable gloves are the best bet for something like this

silverharp wrote: »
    suggestion that Asians are more susceptible

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.01.26.919985v1.full

Even if thats so mutations once it hits other races means it could come back again and won't care where you are from

• Registered Users Posts: 45 macapaca

There are currently 30,811 confirmed cases worldwide, including 635 fatalities.

That’s the update.

..the trend over the last few nights is that the numbers will jump up again within an hour of when these numbers are posted......usually another 5-600 added...so lets see if that happens again tonight

• Advertisement

Not very comfortable to wear though ;) A ffp3 mask (unless you have an odd shaped nose), a pair of goggles and disposable gloves are the best bet for something like this

They actually are very comfortable, pump forces air into the mask causing negative pressure, also very cooling when working in hot weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

1,000 extra patients in Hubei now in serious and critical conditions in just one day, wonder how the hospitals manage with that

They actually are very comfortable, pump forces air into the mask causing negative pressure, also very cooling when working in hot weather.

While you are working I guess? But you are going to wear it long term and while you go around doing your daily life? I was actually referring to just gas masks anyway, they are enough to give you a literal pain in your neck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

If I am correct that will be above 50000 by Sunday night based on the trend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I hope they are going to run some more tests after that, considering one patient took four tests before getting a positive reading of the virus.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

A 25% increase in serious/critical is very worrying after bringing in all the extra beds to leave the hospitals for the worse patients

While you are working I guess? But you are going to wear it long term and while you go around doing your daily life? I was actually referring to just gas masks anyway, they are enough to give you a literal pain in your neck

Obviously not indoors but if I had to go out shopping and the risks had risen then yeah I would happily wear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

wakka12 wrote: »
    1,000 extra patients in Hubei now in serious and critical conditions in just one day, wonder how the hospitals manage with that

That's possibly just extra bed capacity coming on board following the new hospital which is allowing the hospitals to admit more serious/critical cases (as opposed to there being more)

Have people seen the new quarantine centre videos? These look horrific for people with mild symptoms

• Advertisement

Even if thats so mutations once it hits other races means it could come back again and won't care where you are from

Sounds like the beginning of an action movie...or the end

If I am correct that will be above 50000 by Sunday night based on the trend?

Dunno but 40k for sure - the number of international cases seems to be increasing quite badly
    See how the rest of the figures go in about an hour or so - the numbers outside the Wuhan area are really the ones to watch. If those numbers are rapidly rising it doesn't look good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Between the locusts in Africa, the fires in Oz and this it really is end of days stuff. Storm Claire on the way this weekend. Hope she behaves.

Obviously not indoors but if I had to go out shopping and the risks had risen then yeah I would happily wear it.

Good luck with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

These numbers are still making no sense and its worrying me that's there's an International spike just over the horizon

• Registered Users Posts: 45 macapaca

Storm Claire on the way this weekend. Hope she behaves.

Claire is grand....her sister Ciara is a thundering bitch though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Baby brought to Altnagelvin Hospital in Derry tonight with symptoms.

Recently returned from Far East.

Perhaps just a standard illness or flu? i had heard earlier tonight but sometimes you hear a lot of nonsense on FB locally, but the Belfast Telegraph have picked it up.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/baby-tested-for-suspected-coronavirus-at-northern-ireland-hospital-38934516.html

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

https://www.derryjournal.com/news/suspected-case-of-deadly-coronavirus-in-young-baby-at-altnagelvin-hospital-1-9226254

Here's another suspected case in Derry. Hopefully negative aswell

Same as above case.... article suggests they recently returned from Hong Kong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The Far East is a big place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Far East is a big place.

Hong Kong then.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement