Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I hope they are going to run some more tests after that, considering one patient took four tests before getting a positive reading of the virus.

I'd say they will Cork is a major national hospital. At least their level even if they have the virus is too low to show up. They are in isolation so less chance of passing it on now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

While you are working I guess? But you are going to wear it long term and while you go around doing your daily life? I was actually referring to just gas masks anyway, they are enough to give you a literal pain in your neck
    Gas masks are fairly easy to wear, some might feel claustrophobic, but otherwise... Certainly in the timeframe of an hour or so to get supplies and the like.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ardinn wrote: »
    Yeah he's informative alright A, but jaysus he bloody drags it out. Again you could condense that vid into 5 maybe 10 minutes. Maybe it's because he's a lecturer/teacher in the subject? Hang back for the slower guys in the back of the class kinda thing?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Of course that's what he's doing. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to work out that he's trying to make it as easy to understand as possible for people of all abilities, ages, backgrounds and languages. It is a topic of international concern, so he does need to make the info accessible to all sorts of people. Not just the amazingly clever ones like yourself Wibbs.

Nada to do with cleverness or no, if anything I would say his dragged out approach is more confusing to lay people. Though the repetition might work to some degree.

"Rocket surgeon". Kudos. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

RTE reporting there are 15 suspected cases in Ireland with none confirmed. I guess its only a matter of time and we will have to rely on it being contained. Funny enough, I went to the gym tonight and was never so paranoid about how unhygienic it is if you think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I wonder have gyms been forcibly closed in some asian countries like singapore and vietnam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yeah he's informative alright A, but jaysus he bloody drags it out. Again you could condense that vid into 5 maybe 10 minutes. Maybe it's because he's a lecturer/teacher in the subject? Hang back for the slower guys in the back of the class kinda thing?

Agree with you. He repeats a lot of stuff but it's a single take to his credit - nothing like these "pro" youtubers who edit the crap out of their vids.
    He does know what he's talking about and fair play to him he is educating people

Just watched the last vid and he's like the WHO are saying what???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

imfml wrote: »
    RTE reporting there are 15 suspected cases in Ireland with none confirmed. I guess its only a matter of time and we will have to rely on it being contained. Funny enough, I went to the gym tonight and was never so paranoid about how unhygienic it is if you think about it.

Saw that - what the hell is the point of PPE being sent to doctors. Are they gonna be in full hazmat suits when you go to see them or you cough and the doc says hold on there need to get changed
    Any eejit who goes to the doc with flu symptoms should be shot on sight - apart from the fact that even with normal flu you shouldn't be spreading it but you must have been living under a rock to go to them with the current news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Some hopeful reports today.

The doctor treating the patients in Germany says it's no more dangerous than the Flu
    https://www.br.de/nachrichten/bayern/schwabinger-chefarzt-corona-nicht-gefaehrlicher-als-influenza,RphX42Z

Harvard epidemiologist - “So what looks like a horrific disease may be the horrific tip of a very large iceberg,” i.e. there may be vast numbers of people who are infected, but we are only hearing about the most serious.
    https://science.sciencemag.org/content/367/6478/610?et_rid=34804937&et_cid=3196590

I also think the Chinese government's new strategy of quarantining people with mild symptoms in large fever hospitals sounds like a good strategy - home quarantine has helped to spread the disease amongst family groups. House them together, send any critical patients to hospitals, and release them when they are not infected. It's what we did here in Ireland back when TB was rampant.

• Advertisement

40 more cases confirmed on the Japanese boat. 61 in total now. Well if the spreadability of the virus was ever in doubt that certainly puts it to bed
    Given that it seems remarkable that there has been so few localised outbreaks of note outside of China, especially with the lax screening of chinese touristsand immigrants into many countries even now, and several verified reports of confirmed infected invididuals holidaying throughout countries such as Mexico, England. I was reading an article yesterday about a Chinese man ho was infected and was hoolidaying in Mexico city, none of the dozens of people he was in contact with contracted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Remember that nurse who put out a video last week claiming that 90,000 were infected. Surely the real figure now in gone over the million.

Also remember the graph that estimates that a million would be dead by 21 Feb and around 57 million would be infected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 lolanacho

fritzelly wrote: »

The poor guy dead and his pregnant wife is also sick with Coronavirus.

41 new cases confirmed overnight on the cruise ship currently docked in Japan. Went from 20 to 61 in one jump
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-07/massive-spike-of-coronavirus-cases-on-board-cruise-ship/11943302

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

41 new cases confirmed overnight on the cruise ship currently docked in Japan. Went from 20 to 61 in one jump
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-07/massive-spike-of-coronavirus-cases-on-board-cruise-ship/11943302

Jesus this news is getting worse and worse, 15 unconfirmed in Ireland no idea where they are apart from 3 in Dublin, Cork and Kerry and 41 on that cruise ship bringing the total Japanese cases up to 94.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

As absolutely horrendous as it sounds, the spread on the cruise ship will be like a small laboratory for Japan and the rest of the civilised world to examine the disease in a controlled manner without China meddling in the results.

Of course, that could be at the expense of a lot of the guests becoming severely ill. Only time will tell.
    I work with Germans every day and they are never sensationalist or anything but blunt and pragmatic, so that tells us something of how to read into Bavaria's CMO (a few posts above) saying it's no worse than flu.

A third patient with coronavirus confirmed in the UK is being treated at a London hospital.
    Chief medical officer Professor Chris Whitty said in a statement on Thursday that the individual did not acquire the virus in the UK.
    It is understood the patient arrived at Guy’s Hospital in London Bridge on Thursday afternoon and that the virus was contracted in an Asian country, but not in China.
    The patient is thought to have been diagnosed in Brighton before being transferred.   https://au.news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-uk-third-case-confirmed-132226248.html

hmmm wrote: »
    Some hopeful reports today.

The doctor treating the patients in Germany says it's no more dangerous than the Flu
    https://www.br.de/nachrichten/bayern/schwabinger-chefarzt-corona-nicht-gefaehrlicher-als-influenza,RphX42Z

Harvard epidemiologist - “So what looks like a horrific disease may be the horrific tip of a very large iceberg,” i.e. there may be vast numbers of people who are infected, but we are only hearing about the most serious.
    https://science.sciencemag.org/content/367/6478/610?et_rid=34804937&et_cid=3196590

I also think the Chinese government's new strategy of quarantining people with mild symptoms in large fever hospitals sounds like a good strategy - home quarantine has helped to spread the disease amongst family groups. House them together, send any critical patients to hospitals, and release them when they are not infected. It's what we did here in Ireland back when TB was rampant.

A very interesting and reassuring read, thank you for posting. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

wakka12 wrote: »
    I wonder have gyms been forcibly closed in some asian countries like singapore and vietnam?

Nope, I'm in Singapore for last week.
    My hotel gym, spa is open.
    All food courts which are packed with people daily are running as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

imfml wrote: »
    RTE reporting there are 15 suspected cases in Ireland with none confirmed.
    just looked that up, very short on details,
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0207/1113703-coronavirus/

although this line caught my attention...
    RTÉ News understands Minister for Health Simon Harris and his EU counterparts have been told they may have to attend the meeting next Thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

If it's spreading through the aircon, then the ships passengers and crew are doomed.

Keeping them in their separate rooms isn't going to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

old_aussie wrote: »
    If it's spreading through the aircon, then the ships passengers and crew are doomed.

Yeah cruise ships seem to be the ideal location for viruses to spread. How often do we hear about ships being decimated by norovirus or similar?

Why dont they just take them off and quarantine them elsewhere? If anything it could stop even more people becoming infected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

old_aussie wrote: »

Aircon doesnt work like that - it isnt one system - I worked in a lot of hotels and your looking at 1 unit per 2/3 rooms - Literally the roof was like an ariel view of electric picnic replacing tents with AC compressor units.

I could be wrong for a ship however but a singular A/C unit for 3000 odd rooms would be fúcking huge! like - massive!

This would be typical

industrial-air-conditioning-stock-image-2856675.jpg

However, it does beg the question how its actually done on a ship.

An article speculating why North Korea has been silent during this outbreak. https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/06/asia/north-korea-wuhan-coronavirus-infection-intl-hnk/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

An article speculating why North Korea has been silent during this outbreak. https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/06/asia/north-korea-wuhan-coronavirus-infection-intl-hnk/index.html

In fairness there is an easy explanation. It’s a closed border so doesn’t have the open traffic others experience so I’d imagine a little less prone to imported disease. Don’t believe everything you read on CNN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭A_Lost_Man

Many people are wondering what this outbreak is and many are feared and why it outbreak in china why not other country and now happening in other countries. Actually the point china's population is increasing and their resources are vanishing and they knew if they could not control population one day they are going to die due to over population and they test the virus on Wuhan population but sadly the scheme goes wrong. It is actually the same story of 'AMC walking dead'

BumperD wrote: »
    In fairness there is an easy explanation. It’s a closed border so doesn’t have the open traffic others experience so I’d imagine a little less prone to imported disease. Don’t believe everything you read on CNN

Can't help it, reading a lot of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

North Korea closed it's borders very quickly, also the tourists that go would have very little contact with the main population in North Korea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Busy night on here.

I am not reading or watching anything on this apart from here. Seems so much junk and misinfo.

HSE seem to be coping and will cope if folk are sensible and aware, as we are. Awareness is the key.
    Hope for the best and prepare for the worst..

As someone said, we have Storm Ciara of immediate concern in all its unpredictability. so today that is at the epicentre here as more news comes in.

Mask up; get stocks in of all you need, just in case as they will always be needed at some stage.

Can't help it, reading a lot of things.[/QUOTE

So stop reading! Get out for a walk.

Reminds me of 9/11. I was online in an American egroup, chatting with a friend who is a journalist when the planes hit. I was on a Scottish island far from it all and folk in the US needed support. So I spent 36 hours online, then ducked when our one flight a week went over and closed down.

I never saw any film of the crash; nothing I could do . Folk were getting PTSD from watching the news... Same here now; fully aware of it and care deeply but nothing much I can do. Except pray.

Take care of YOU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Graces7 wrote: »

HSE seem to be coping and will cope if folk are sensible and aware, as we are. Awareness is the key.

Not enough people are aware unfortunately.

My local pub is full of aul lads and aul wans, none of them on SM (probably better off) but the 4 mins or so airtime rte gave them is not enough to prepare.

The amount of people coughing and spluttering around the place, you never notice until your paranoid.

My local pub is full of aul lads and aul wans, none of them on SM (probably better off) but the 4 mins or so airtime rte gave them is not enough to prepare.

The amount of people coughing and spluttering around the place, you never notice until your paranoid.

Nothing you can do except care for you and your family. We are in ordinary flu season after all. Many refuse to take heed; China had the right idea. Enforced quarantine.

The spread here will be slow if it happens.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

wakka12 wrote: »

In Vietnam schools are closed for the rest of this month other than that there's very very little obvious measures taken. Hotel and other service staff are to wear masks but that wouldn't be hugely uncommon

There's a big drop off in Chinese tourists especially in resortish areas such as Hoi An (where I am now) but there's still loads about mingling in bars and markets. They're all wearing masks.
    I'm only wearing a mask when doing airports. There was a pretty good V. government text saying be careful as masks are grand but lead to complacency with regards other essential hygiene measures like washing hands.

Funny (not funny) thing. I was watching Chinese tourists browsing a menu in very busy bar. No mask. His finger rooting around his nose and then passing menu onto Oh then menu passed back to staff and on it goes. You can only do so much but cleaning, hands is top priority

humberklog wrote: »
    In Vietnam schools are closed for the rest of this month other than that there's very very little obvious measures taken.

It's only until next Friday in some parts of the country like HCM. Officially, I'm back in school next Monday in Hanoi though people expect that will likely change and there will be another week off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Graces7 wrote: »
    Busy night on here.

I am not reading or watching anything on this apart from here. Seems so much junk and misinfo.

As someone said, we have Storm Ciara of immediate concern in all its unpredictability. so today that is at the epicentre here as more news comes in.

Mask up; get stocks in of all you need, just in case as they will always be needed at some stage.

HSE are not coping as is. Forgive us for having little faith in them.

A shambles of an organisation.

We are watching it closely at work from a global risk perspective and I do think the seriousness of it has completely fallen under the radar here with the elections. Prevention measures should be in place and well underway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Indeed the first thought of any of them will be to go to a GP or A and E which is exactly what not to do but there has been nowhere near enough messaging to ram this home and explain the reasons for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

humberklog wrote: »
    In Vietnam schools are closed for the rest of this month other than that there's very very little obvious measures taken. Hotel and other service staff are to wear masks but that wouldn't be hugely uncommon

There's a big drop off in Chinese tourists especially in resortish areas such as Hoi An (where I am now) but there's still loads about mingling in bars and markets. They're all wearing masks.
    I'm only wearing a mask when doing airports. There was a pretty good V. government text saying be careful as masks are grand but lead to complacency with regards other essential hygiene measures like washing hands.

Funny (not funny) thing. I was watching Chinese tourists browsing a menu in very busy bar. No mask. His finger rooting around his nose and then passing menu onto Oh then menu passed back to staff and on it goes. You can only do so much but cleaning, hands is top priority

Some people are wilfully ignorant and some people are just outright ignorant. It's stunning sometimes to see it so blatantly.

On the other hand, there's a cracking rice pancake place around the Bá Lễ area. Some great Pho places on the way out of town too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Aircon doesnt work like that - it isnt one system - I worked in a lot of hotels and your looking at 1 unit per 2/3 rooms - Literally the roof was like an ariel view of electric picnic replacing tents with AC compressor units.

I could be wrong for a ship however but a singular A/C unit for 3000 odd rooms would be fúcking huge! like - massive!

This would be typical

industrial-air-conditioning-stock-image-2856675.jpg

However, it does beg the question how its actually done on a ship.

Those units don't supply air, the remove heat.

It's a closed system. There's basically just a pipe going from the rooftop to the room and the pipe removes the heat with air recirculated from the room blown over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Those units don't supply air, the remove heat.

It's a closed system. There's basically just a pipe going from the rooftop to the room and the pipe removes the heat with air recirculated from the room blown over it.

Reports from the ship that state that there is no air - I guess meaning no air con or HVAC.
    The guy in question said that the inner cabins have no windows and people in those cabins are granted some time on deck for fresh air.
    Also mentioned that the passengers are to remain 1 meter apart.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51409800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

We might get a better idea of the true spread of this virus from the cruise ship. Unfortunately by nature most passengers on a cruise are likely to be a bit older and therefore potentially more susceptible to more serious effects from the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

No update from Ben Kavanagh in two days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    No update from Ben Kavanagh in two days...

Updated on twitter, all good so far. I guess there's not much to make a video on at this point.

A passenger on the Japanese cruise with coronvirus is in a critical condition
    https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/videonews/ann?a=20200207-00000021-ann-soci

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1225633449140031488?s=21
    Zhejang becomes the first outside Wuhan to have 1000 infections

https://twitter.com/DavidInglesTV/status/1225620055729131521?s=09
    First case in North korea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

A_Lost_Man wrote: »
    Many people are wondering what this outbreak is and many are feared and why it outbreak in china why not other country and now happening in other countries. Actually the point china's population is increasing and their resources are vanishing and they knew if they could not control population one day they are going to die due to over population and they test the virus on Wuhan population but sadly the scheme goes wrong. It is actually the same story of 'AMC walking dead'

STEP away from the Keyboard.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

circadian wrote: »
    Updated on twitter, all good so far. I guess there's not much to make a video on at this point.

What's his Twitter handle? Would like to folow him.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    HSE are not coping as is. Forgive us for having little faith in them.

A shambles of an organisation.

We are watching it closely at work from a global risk perspective and I do think the seriousness of it has completely fallen under the radar here with the elections. Prevention measures should be in place and well underway.

Such as? We can each and all protect ourselves . Stay away from eg pubs, crowded places.. Wear a mask if you have to mix. Stock up.

They are dealing with cases as they arise. Do you think we should all be quarantined. or what ?

If you go to www.breakingnews.ie and at the top. see coronavirus... plenty going on and there will be more planned. Not panic measures. See the wedding photos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

An Post suspends all mail to China...
    https://www.thejournal.ie/an-post-china-wuhan-coronavirus-post-mail-4996327-Feb2020/

In a statement, An Post said that “all mail services have been suspended to China as a result of the Coronavirus with immediate effect”.
    “This follows the decision by a number of international airlines to suspend their services,” the short statement added.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

odyssey06 wrote: »
    An Post suspends all mail to China...
    https://www.thejournal.ie/an-post-china-wuhan-coronavirus-post-mail-4996327-Feb2020/

In a statement, An Post said that “all mail services have been suspended to China as a result of the Coronavirus with immediate effect”.
    “This follows the decision by a number of international airlines to suspend their services,” the short statement added.

t'would be the mail from china i'd be more concerned about

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement