Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

ardinn wrote: »
    1 thing I have noticed is Australia, USA, and other countries confirmed cases have remained static for about three days now - oz and usa still at 12, was 12 on wednesday and possibly tuesday iirc. So that is fairly positive (ish)
    The Aussies (15 cases at least) have their own Island for putting new arrivals from China (and now perhaps other nearby countries), they won't get a glimpse of the Harbour Bridge, or the MCG until at least 14days of quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭juanjo

The Aussies (15 cases at least) have their own Island for putting new arrivals from China (and now perhaps other nearby countries), they won't get a glimpse of the Harbour Bridge, or the MCG until at least 14days of quarantine.

The aussies are sending the people they don't want to an island? It kinda reminds me of something...

well better than this:
    https://twitter.com/howroute/status/1225480460979056642

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Edit

Your right on oz - 15 - usa still 12 however

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

juanjo wrote: »
    The aussies are sending the people they don't want to an island? It kinda reminds me of something...
    Sorry I don't ever bother to click on random Twatter links.

The aussies like everyone, are now using 14day quarantine for travellers from China, after that all is good and well.

They however are very strict with illegal migration in general (boat crossings etc), compared to the uk who had 90 (ninety) headed for Dover just yesterday, the most they've ever had in a single day, and received about 2,000 for last year across the Eng channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Marcos

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    That's what I don't get. The panic. For a disease with a 2% fatality?
    China are pulling out all the stops.

I saw a post* a few days ago which said
    Don't look at what they're saying, look at what they're doing.

That'll tell you how serious the authorities think it is.

* I can't remember where, it may have been a different forum.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Marcos

Sorry I don't ever bother to click on random Twatter links.

The aussies like everyone, are now using 14day quarantine for travellers from China, after that all is good and well.

They however are very strict with illegal migration in general (boat crossings etc), compared to the uk who had 90 (ninety) headed for Dover just yesterday, the most they've ever had in a single day, and received about 2,000 for last year across the Eng channel.

They're now starting to put them in an old mining camp in the middle of the outback.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

If you take the other estimates - 600,000 inf - 25,000 dead - It's a 4% Fatality rate.

There are probably thousands of people dead in their homes - especially in wuhan. The DR could actually be massive! But we just dont know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

On the lash in Bangalore tonight if anyone's about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

If there was even the slightest chance that the regime could put you down like a rabid dog, I would not be budgeing and taking my chances holed up in the apartment. I suspect there could be quite a few of them cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,126 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If you take the other estimates - 600,000 inf - 25,000 dead - It's a 4% Fatality rate.

There are probably thousands of people dead in their homes - especially in wuhan. The DR could actually be massive! But we just dont know!

Not that I believe any of the numbers coming out of China
    but even with a mortality rate of 2% this is still a big deal. It has an R0 of >2, no vaccines yet, and as the virus mutates quite quickly you don't develop an immunity after recovering.

If this spreads worldwide we will keep having serious breakouts of this all over the world for years to come - if we don't contain it now while the numbers are manageable (outside of China anyways), it'll soon be too widespread to contain.

Like think of the common cold - its global, its always spreading, you always catch it again and again. Now imagine each time you caught it there was a 2% chance of death.

timmyntc wrote: »
    Not that I believe any of the numbers coming out of China
    but even with a mortality rate of 2% this is still a big deal. It has an R0 of >2, no vaccines yet, and as the virus mutates quite quickly you don't develop an immunity after recovering.

If this spreads worldwide we will keep having serious breakouts of this all over the world for years to come - if we don't contain it now while the numbers are manageable (outside of China anyways), it'll soon be too widespread to contain.

Like think of the common cold - its global, its always spreading, you always catch it again and again. Now imagine each time you caught it there was a 2% chance of death.

The Ro is 2.8 - So 3, doubling time 6 days.

Dr John discussed the cold theory yesterday - Your body wont hold the anti bodies for more than 4 months if you do recover the 1st time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

And there are thousands more at home with mild symptoms, not dying. I think the death rate will turn out to be much lower than 4% once we get an idea of the true number of infections. If we ever do.

Pretty sure this will turn into another seasonal illness that does the rounds every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Plus I imagine severe cases will be fatal if no hospital space..

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    And there are thousands more at home with mild symptoms, not dying. I think the death rate will turn out to be much lower than 4% once we get an idea of the true number of infections. If we ever do.

Pretty sure this will turn into another seasonal illness that does the rounds every year.

I absolutely hope you are right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

I see people mentioning mutations, has this actually been verified?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

Hong Kong airlines axe 400 jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Rvsmmnps wrote: »
    Hong Kong airlines axe 400 jobs.

There's some outrageously cheap deals on quality hotels in Hong Kong at the moment. A lot of places will have to fold if this persists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

What are the chances of this precipitating a world wide recession/depression? Also, Is the fact that the virus has been shown to survive 28 days on metal surfaces got anything to do with An Post's decision to cancel all mail from China? I'm aware of the obvious reason being airlines stopping flights but just wondering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Yurt! wrote: »
    There's some outrageously cheap deals on quality hotels in Hong Kong at the moment. A lot of places will have to fold if this persists.

Yup, 1/6th of the world has shut down with many predictable near-catastrophic effects and yet it seems there are only small pockets of conversation about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/07/ive-been-walking-stairs-for-exercise-life-under-coronavirus-quarantine

A couple of things annoyed me about the quarantine in the uk at the Wirral. The guy who wrote this sounds like a bit of an idiot but the people ordering take away and especially the guy hoarding the booze sound like ungrateful dicks taking the piss out of the kindness shown them.

Also they should be confined to their rooms if someone was sick they would have transferred it to handles and counters, tables by now. Makes little sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

What are the chances of this precipitating a world wide recession/depression? Also, Is the fact that the virus has been shown to survive 28 days on metal surfaces got anything to do with An Post's decision to cancel all mail from China? I'm aware of the obvious reason being airlines stopping flights but just wondering.

To be honest I've been saying the reset has to come soon before this happened, I was even thinking 2020. But it feels like there's infinite ****ery going on with central banks, they are the gods forever protecting us from ever experiencing pain again...

If this doesn't do it, nothing will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just wondering if there has been any unconfirmed reports at the UHG in Galway as the town is going to be packed for tomorrow for the opening 2020 celebrations, thinking of staying away from it and staying indoors. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I think Xi is on borrowed time as leader of China. There were already strong rumours of the powerful Jiang Zemin faction getting into place to move against him. Xi made a lot of enemies in the group that enjoyed Jiang's patronage before and after he came to power.

Pretty open dissent on Chinese social media the last few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

Pretty open dissent on Chinese social media the last few days.

That's just swapping one dictator for another.
    Way too acquiescent for their own good (literally this time).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Just wondering if there has been any unconfirmed reports at the UHG in Galway as the town is going to be packed for tomorrow for the opening 2020 celebrations, thinking of staying away from it and staying indoors. :)

Just keep your distance from anyone vaguely East Asian looking and you'll be fine!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

cloudatlas wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/07/ive-been-walking-stairs-for-exercise-life-under-coronavirus-quarantine

A couple of things annoyed me about the quarantine in the uk at the Wirral. The guy who wrote this sounds like a bit of an idiot but the people ordering take away and especially the guy hoarding the booze sound like ungrateful dicks taking the piss out of the kindness shown them.

Also they should be confined to their rooms if someone was sick they would have transferred it to handles and counters, tables by now. Makes little sense.

Wouldn't surprise me too much since half the teachers in China are alcoholics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Well...thank god for that, just a normal girl from China casually talking about her daily experience..everything is going to be okay... 🤥

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Its very likely going to trigger some kind of recession but nobody knows how bad yet.

An post have only canceled post to china as theres no commercial planes for them to send it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Well...thank god for that, just a normal girl from China casually talking about her daily experience..everything is going to be okay... 🀥

This video is approved and sponsored by the Administration. All hail Xi.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Well...thank god for that, just a normal girl from China casually talking about her daily experience..everything is going to be okay... 🤥

In case the slightly Orwellian 'unity is strength' line and her robotic rehearsed demenour didn't give it away, China Plus is part of China Radio International: a soft-power propaganda arm of the CCP.

I was half expecting her to say 'drink more warm water, good for healthy' (anyone who has spent any degree of time in China will recognise this).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Looks legit

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3137286/

Only snapchats of significance to report was a few 15 hrs ago saying a supermarket was open.

Doesn’t say how long it was open for and there was no mad crowd of people rushing to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Just watching RTE Six One news and a number of concerning points have been raised:
    1. Why are we relying on people to ‘self declare’ re the virus, and not doing any screening at airports at all...seems extremely reckless.
    2. How on earth do you track everyone that had been in contact with a person who potentially carried the virus from Asia to Ireland.
    3. Has Ireland identified any areas/places to open in the event of an outbreak in an specific area.
    4. Should there be a public awareness campaign made available to schools, companies, etc, and precautionary measures taken to try and limit any potential spread.
    5. When a person suspects they might have the virus, what is the procedure. What number do you ring, what is the plan?! At least in England they’ve been given a number to dial...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Carol25 wrote: »
    3. Has Ireland identified any areas/places to open in the event of an outbreak in an specific area.
    4. Should there be a public awareness campaign made available to schools, companies, etc, and precautionary measures taken to try and limit any potential spread.
    5. When a person suspects they might have the virus, what is the procedure. What number do you ring, what is the plan?! At least in England they’ve been given a number to dial...

Our health minister appears to have himself been quarantined for the duration of the general election campaign:P so the country may be a bit rudderless with regard to these matters...

You don't have to go to China for censorship. Was the potential virus threat ever mentioned during the TV debates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

2. How on earth do you track everyone that had been in contact with a person who potentially carried the virus from Asia to Ireland.
    You don't have to track everyone, just enough to reduce the spread. If someone has been in contact with 50 people, it's not going to spread to 50 people - maybe 2 or 3 might have been infected. If you can track down 40 of those people and ask them to keep an eye on any symptoms, you stand a good chance of reducing future spread.

wakka12 wrote: »
    40 more cases confirmed on the Japanese boat. 61 in total now. Well if the spreadability of the virus was ever in doubt that certainly puts it to bed
    Given that it seems remarkable that there has been so few localised outbreaks of note outside of China, especially with the lax screening of chinese touristsand immigrants into many countries even now, and several verified reports of confirmed infected invididuals holidaying throughout countries such as Mexico, England. I was reading an article yesterday about a Chinese man ho was infected and was hoolidaying in Mexico city, none of the dozens of people he was in contact with contracted it.
    There's must be something about the environment of a cruise ship which is causing the spread to be more severe, and while they might not like being guinea pigs it's giving researchers a great opportunity.

We're not seeing much in the way of spreads in airports or railways etc. Even on airplanes, we're not seeing cases caused by people sitting directly beside infected people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

You don't have to go to China for censorship. Was the potential virus threat ever mentioned during the TV debates?

No because it would help none of them to be talking about it during campaigning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Hmmm, I wonder could it have anything to do with the lack of fresh air supply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Just watching RTE Six One news and a number of concerning points have been raised:
    1. Why are we relying on people to ‘self declare’ re the virus, and not doing any screening at airports at all...seems extremely reckless.

All good points 'self declare' is daft policy. The number they indicate is the local HSE contact on their website. We should have closed potential flights days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

cloudatlas wrote: »

Does anybody else find it funny that the author took the credit? :P

Edit: I'm reading it and I have to say...typical English teachers :D

Big new study of 138 patients, showing transmission within hospitals, R0 of 2.2, about 5 days on average for symptoms to show,
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2761044

The Chinese are taking a different strategy now of simply quarantining patients with minor symptoms together until they are no longer infected, as sending them home is just spreading the virus to close contacts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Does anybody else find it funny that the author took the credit? :P

Huh?

hmmm wrote: »
    Big new study of 138 patients, showing transmission within hospitals, R0 of 2.2, about 5 days on average for symptoms to show,
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2761044

The Chinese are taking a different strategy now of simply quarantining patients with minor symptoms together until they are no longer infected, as sending them home is just spreading the virus to close contacts.
    Can't find your assertion from the report that they are just sending them home to infect close contacts. I would be grateful if you could quote the relevant text. Thanks

Can't find your assertion from the report that they are just sending them home to infect close contacts. I would be grateful if you could quote the relevant text. Thanks
    That was my comment, it's not in the text.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

This week's email newsletter from my wholesaler regarding his Chinese wife, who's back home in China, in her parents' village, for Chinese New Year.
    I just spoke to her and all is OK, or as OK as it can be when you are in a locked down village. Normally for Chinese New Year I am also in that village, (it was only because of starting our new Spain company that I didn't go). I know the village and its people very well. The residents are mostly old folks, at CNY the younger relatives come home and I think about 200 people will be there. It's literally a one road town, houses each side of the road, one or two behind and surrounded by rice fields as far as you can see. There are no restaurants, only two shops, one a small supermarket and agricultural supplies store that belongs to Coco's brother and his wife...

The road in and out has been blocked with access only for police and health officials. Every few hours a police car drives through with a loud speaker telling residents to stay in-doors at all time. Only one designated person is allowed out to shop every two days and they must wear a mask. A government health official stands guard at the shop to police this policy...there are no new deliveries coming along the road so all the meat ran out a week ago, eggs are gone, now they only have veg and rice. They have been told to expect the lock down for at least another week, but could be end of February. The good news is that no-one in the village has any symptoms, everyone is healthy, but rumours abound that cases have been found in just the next village. The nearest city about 30 minutes away has a lot of cases, it's a big worry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In case the slightly Orwellian 'unity is strength' line and her robotic rehearsed demenour didn't give it away, China Plus is part of China Radio International: a soft-power propaganda arm of the CCP.

I was half expecting her to say 'drink more warm water, good for healthy' (anyone who has spent any degree of time in China will recognise this).
    Jaysus, they're so out of touch and old fashioned where it comes to propaganda. The West does it so much better(which is worse in some ways). Then again they don't need to be up to date for many of their population.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Huh?

Dude's diary under her name. Imo, they should have published it under his name.

But, irregardless, I do love the odd behaviour of English teachers in Asia. They are unique and I have a strange fondness for htem.

This week's email newsletter from my wholesaler regarding his Chinese wife, who's back home in China, in her parents' village, for Chinese New Year.

Honestly, conspiracy theory aside, this honestly reads like keeping social order/control rather than fear of virus.

Edit: I think the new city also had protest becuase of a furnace?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

hmmm wrote: »
    You don't have to track everyone, just enough to reduce the spread. If someone has been in contact with 50 people, it's not going to spread to 50 people - maybe 2 or 3 might have been infected. If you can track down 40 of those people and ask them to keep an eye on any symptoms, you stand a good chance of reducing future spread.

Have you a source for this information? I've read articles today saying the British are looking for people from the 5 star Singapore Hotel that spent as little as 15 minutes with the infected. I'm also looking at the behaviour of China in Wuhan and other areas...their behaviour does not give me confidence that this virus would only spread to 2 or 3 out of 50 the infected are in contact with. I really hope I'm wrong in this case.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement