Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Carol25 wrote: »
    Just watching RTE Six One news and a number of concerning points have been raised:
    1. Why are we relying on people to ‘self declare’ re the virus, and not doing any screening at airports at all...seems extremely reckless.
    2. How on earth do you track everyone that had been in contact with a person who potentially carried the virus from Asia to Ireland.
    3. Has Ireland identified any areas/places to open in the event of an outbreak in an specific area.
    4. Should there be a public awareness campaign made available to schools, companies, etc, and precautionary measures taken to try and limit any potential spread.
    5. When a person suspects they might have the virus, what is the procedure. What number do you ring, what is the plan?! At least in England they’ve been given a number to dial...

If you read the online rte and breaking news.ie website news you will find the answers to all these questions and more. Cannot post links but easy enough to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

Yup, 1/6th of the world has shut down with many predictable near-catastrophic effects and yet it seems there are only small pockets of conversation about it.

Two days ago,air france/klm seen a share price increase upon news that no flight would enter China from either airline...very odd almost like governments are trying their best to prevent panic..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

hmmm wrote: »
    There's must be something about the environment of a cruise ship which is causing the spread to be more severe, and while they might not like being guinea pigs it's giving researchers a great opportunity.

We're not seeing much in the way of spreads in airports or railways etc. Even on airplanes, we're not seeing cases caused by people sitting directly beside infected people.
    I'm sorry, but how on earth are you coming to that conclusion re: planes and railways?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,890 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Just watching RTE Six One news and a number of concerning points have been raised:
    1. Why are we relying on people to ‘self declare’ re the virus, and not doing any screening at airports at all...seems extremely reckless.
    2. How on earth do you track everyone that had been in contact with a person who potentially carried the virus from Asia to Ireland.
    3. Has Ireland identified any areas/places to open in the event of an outbreak in an specific area.
    4. Should there be a public awareness campaign made available to schools, companies, etc, and precautionary measures taken to try and limit any potential spread.
    5. When a person suspects they might have the virus, what is the procedure. What number do you ring, what is the plan?! At least in England they’ve been given a number to dial...

Isn’t the number on the hse website?
    Agree though piss poor protocols in place in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Have you a source for this information? I've read articles today saying the British are looking for people from the 5 star Singapore Hotel that spent as little as 15 minutes with the infected. I'm also looking at the behaviour of China in Wuhan and other areas...their behaviour does not give me confidence that this virus would only spread to 2 or 3 out of 50 the infected are in contact with. I really hope I'm wrong in this case.

Seasonal flu is 1 to 1.3 infection rate. Ncov is 1 to 3.5 apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Seasonal flu is 1 to 1.3 infection rate. Ncov is 1 to 3.5 apparently.

"According to a review article published in BMC Medicine, the R0 value of the 1918 pandemic was estimated to be between 1.4 and 2.8."

the Ro value is an average. It doesn't mean that only 2 or 3 people out of the 50 exposed will be infected. One has to assume everyone has equal chance to be infected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Can't find your assertion from the report that they are just sending them home to infect close contacts. I would be grateful if you could quote the relevant text. Thanks

No. You misread his post. It's about the new hospitals being built. They will be sending peeps with sniffles direct to them as Granny and Grandad at home would be most at risk and will need snifflers sent away pronto..

Smiles35 wrote: »
    No. You misread his post. It's about the new hospitals being built. They will be sending peeps with sniffles direct to them as Granny and Grandad at home would be most at risk and will need snifflers sent away pronto..

ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

saabsaab wrote: »
    All good points 'self declare' is daft policy. The number they indicate is the local HSE contact on their website. We should have closed potential flights days ago.

There are no direct flights from china to ireland.

MadYaker wrote: »
    There are no direct flights from china to ireland.

what about indirect flights?

• Advertisement

what about indirect flights?

Most go through London, Paris and Berlin but we can't simply suspend all flights from those places. At least not as things currently stand. If the situation were to get more serious maybe, but it won't get that serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

"According to a review article published in BMC Medicine, the R0 value of the 1918 pandemic was estimated to be between 1.4 and 2.8."

the Ro value is an average. It doesn't mean that only 2 or 3 people out of the 50 exposed will be infected. One has to assume everyone has equal chance to be infected.

Agreed, it would be more like 7 people infected.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Most go through London, Paris and Berlin but we can't simply suspend all flights from those places. At least not as things currently stand. If the situation were to get more serious maybe, but it won't get that serious.

Point being that passengers from likely high infectious areas need to be tracked and monitored. Even tested at our airports, north and south, for clinical symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Screening at the airports wouldn’t completely work as folks may develop symptoms days after arrival.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Screening at the airports wouldn’t completely work as folks may develop symptoms days after arrival.

agreed "wouldn't completely work" - quarantine those from infected areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

sure is. but the HSE recognise self declaration when it comes to gender...off topic i know

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Global shortage of PPE gear according to WHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭circadian

sure is. but the HSE recognise self declaration when it comes to gender...off topic i know but when you allow the abandonment of science and common sense in one sphere, dont be surprised if you see it crop up elsewhere.

Wanker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,730 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Global shortage of PPE gear according to WHO.

sic "we need more money"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

circadian wrote: »
    Wanker.
    its a tenuous point i grant you but it made sense in my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭circadian

Nah you just came into a thread and decided to shoehorn your transphobic ****e into the discussion.

I'm sure a lot of things make sense in your head...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

fritzelly wrote: »

That is clearly a different person. Jeysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

sure is. but the HSE recognise self declaration when it comes to gender...off topic i know but when you allow the abandonment of science and common sense in one sphere, dont be surprised if you see it crop up elsewhere.

Completely irrelevant

blah

• Advertisement

mods delete the offending post please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

mods delete the offending post please
    You can delete your own posts via the edit button. Good idea btw.

I'm really enjoying this thread which has managed to remain completely on topic, even while veering a bit towards the conspiracies side of things at times. Can we just not engage with the likes of the above and get back to the topic at hand. Hope that's not backseat modding?

Hearing a lot of talk about storm Ciara today and jokes about how this could be the one that blows us all away :D but nobody in my immediate circle seem to have coronavirus on their radar. Not that I think there should be mass panic or anything of the sort but I find it weird that it's having such a huge impact on the lives of so many people and over here there's barely any reaction at all! (Outside of this thread of course!)

You can delete your own posts via the edit button. Good idea btw.

dosnt delete the quotes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

dosnt delete the quotes
    There is a delete button beside the save button when it goes into edit mode. (You also have to select a radio button to confirm.)

I'm really enjoying this thread which has managed to remain completely on topic, even while veering a bit towards the conspiracies side of things at times. Can we just not engage with the likes of the above and get back to the topic at hand. Hope that's not backseat modding?

Hearing a lot of talk about storm Ciara today and jokes about how this could be the one that blows us all away :D but nobody in my immediate circle seem to have coronavirus on their radar. Not that I think there should be mass panic or anything of the sort but I find it weird that it's having such a huge impact on the lives of so many people and over here there's barely any reaction at all! (Outside of this thread of course!)

RTÉ had the Coronavirus as their headline, including the shortage of safety gear. I’d imagine it will start to pique peoples interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

givyjoe wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but how on earth are you coming to that conclusion re: planes and railways?
    Evidence in the people who have traveled outside of China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

Hmmm, I don't think that was directed towards me, but I feel like I have gotten more CT once I left Ireland. Tbh, people complain about the government (and they are shadier than a banker in Bosnia), but it really is a blessing to kind of not have creepy shenanigans towards the citizens.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    RTÉ had the Coronavirus as their headline, including the shortage of safety gear. I’d imagine it will start to pique peoples interest.

Yeah they did in fairness. Be interesting to see if more people take an interest now in the coming days.

What are the chances of this precipitating a world wide recession/depression? Also, Is the fact that the virus has been shown to survive 28 days on metal surfaces got anything to do with An Post's decision to cancel all mail from China? I'm aware of the obvious reason being airlines stopping flights but just wondering.

I think the link said 28 days at 4c don't know how cold the cargo bay on a plane is

We sold off many army barracks then failed to invest much in what remained

https://amp.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-doctors-warned-to-protect-eyes-as-researchers-narrow-down-animal-host/news-story/67a0eae01f25052cb5f1df305933a071

Eyes need to be covered, may have been transmitted via an intermediate host - the endangered pangolin - Cambridge not entirely convinced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the Chinese doctor is an odd one, he had everything going for him, age , the best health treatment one would think and presumably healthy so his odds should have been 1 in several hundred.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

The lads and lasses heading to the Olympics in Japan are on The Late Late Show.

Could Coronavirus put a spanner in the works?

• Advertisement

There are currently 34,375 confirmed cases worldwide, including 719 fatalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

hmmm wrote: »
    Evidence in the people who have traveled outside of China.

What?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Huge increase in serious and critical cases, another jump of 1000 in the space of a day. Over 20% of patients in Hubei are now in a (20%)critical or (80%)serious state with a 2.8% mortality rate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,815 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think the link said 28 days at 4c don't know how cold the cargo bay on a plane is

It depends on whether they are carrying anything temperature sensitive. They can heat it to 18 degrees or I read that on a Boeing 767 it is 7 degrees default but can go lower than that.

https://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/22604/will-my-checked-luggage-freeze-in-the-airplane

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

University Hospital Limerick investigating suspected case of coronavirus

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/515496/breaking-university-hospital-limerick-investigating-suspected-case-of-coronavirus.html

The individual with the suspected case is understood to have visited China in recent weeks or was in contact with another individual with the virus, and is presenting with flu-like symptoms.

The Limerick Leader has contacted UL Hospitals Group regarding the matter, and was told to re-direct the query to the HSE, who in turn informed the Limerick Leader that the Department of Health was dealing with the issue.

A Department of Health spokesperson said: "There have been 15 suspected cases of Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) tested in the National Virus Reference Laboratory (NVRL) as of Monday 3 February. To date, there are no confirmed cases of Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in Ireland.

"No information will be provided about individual activations of these plans or about individual cases of novel Coronavirus (2019-ncCoV) other than confirmed cases.

"The Health Protection Surveillance Centre website is updated daily at 13.00 with the latest information about the novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV). Visit HPSC.ie."

With the increasing confirmed, increasing critical but the deaths is staying around the same figure (only 5 or 6 more than yesterday)
    If I was cynical I would say the deaths are not matching the spread of the virus
    Look at Wuhan - 12000 infected and 478 dead - just over 4% mortality rate
    Xiaogan - 2141 infected but only 25 dead - just over 1% mortality rate

Other places have mortality rate going down to 0.1%

The lads and lasses heading to the Olympics in Japan are on The Late Late Show.

Could Coronavirus put a spanner in the works?

It could, certainly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

fritzelly wrote: »
    With the increasing confirmed, increasing critical but the deaths is staying around the same figure (only 5 or 6 more than yesterday)
    If I was cynical I would say the deaths are not matching the spread of the virus

There were 81 deaths, deaths are 699 now

wakka12 wrote: »
    There were 81 deaths, deaths are 699 now

5 or 6 more than yesterdays total

• Advertisement

Bodhrandude is gonna freak out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement