Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

fritzelly wrote: »
    5 or 6 more than yesterdays total

BNO news says , at 10pm, 30 mins ago
    '22:05: 2,841 new cases and 80 new deaths in Hubei province, China. '
    https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/
    Deaths were only like 625 or something last night, now 717 worldwide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,730 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

wakka12 wrote: »
    BNO news says , at 10pm, 30 mins ago
    '22:05: 2,841 new cases and 80 new deaths in Hubei province, China. '
    https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

See my comment above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

fritzelly wrote: »
    See my comment above

Oh sorry thought you meant only 5 or 6 in total today!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

University Hospital Limerick investigating suspected case of coronavirus

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/515496/breaking-university-hospital-limerick-investigating-suspected-case-of-coronavirus.html

The individual with the suspected case is understood to have visited China in recent weeks or was in contact with another individual with the virus, and is presenting with flu-like symptoms.

The Limerick Leader has contacted UL Hospitals Group regarding the matter, and was told to re-direct the query to the HSE, who in turn informed the Limerick Leader that the Department of Health was dealing with the issue.

A Department of Health spokesperson said: "There have been 15 suspected cases of Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) tested in the National Virus Reference Laboratory (NVRL) as of Monday 3 February. To date, there are no confirmed cases of Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in Ireland.

"No information will be provided about individual activations of these plans or about individual cases of novel Coronavirus (2019-ncCoV) other than confirmed cases.

"The Health Protection Surveillance Centre website is updated daily at 13.00 with the latest information about the novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV). Visit HPSC.ie."

It is 100% going to hit here eventually. We are a very small island with no direct flights which should have made us very easily immune with some government influence.

But no...our leaders are too busy canvassing for their jobs/pension to even comment on the issue despite having a doctor as a Taoiseach. Ffs. So self serving and short sighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

wellwhynot wrote: »
    It is 100% going to hit here eventually. We are a very small island with no direct flights which should have make us very easily immune with some government influence.

But no...our leaders are too busy canvassing for their jobs/pension to even comment on the issue despite having a doctor as a Taoiseach. Ffs. So self serving and short sighted.

There’s no vaccine, and the Chinese knew about if for a month before they told anyone so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Ireland's most overcrowded emergency department is in UHL. It looks almost like a field hospital at times. I think I'd rather take my chances at home, no disrespect to the medical professionals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This virus hasn't demonstrated much ability to spread outside of the initial outbreak zone so im not retreating to the underground bunker just yet. I Feel for anyone inside the quarantine zone in wuhan though :( they've a long few months ahead of them. Us in europe haven't much to worry about. If it was going to spread rapidly from china that would've happened already.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

MadYaker wrote: »
    This virus hasn't demonstrated much ability to spread outside of the initial outbreak zone so im not retreating to the underground bunker just yet. I Feel for anyone inside the quarantine zone in wuhan though :( they've a long few months ahead of them. Us in europe haven't much to worry about. If it was going to spread rapidly from china that would've happened already.

I hope you are right but I fear you are not. We won’t know the real picture until 2/3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

silverharp wrote: »
    the Chinese doctor is an odd one, he had everything going for him, age , the best health treatment one would think and presumably healthy so his odds should have been 1 in several hundred.

Certainly when you consider how long it took for him to die as well. Most people seem to recover or die within a week or two at most. He was diagnosed around jan 10 (?) and died this week. That's over 20 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Even within China now, Hubei's mortality rate is an extreme outlier.

Beijing. 1 death, 33 recovered. 33:1 ratio.
    Guangdong. 1 death, 88 recovered. 88:1 ratio.
    Zheijiang. 0 deaths. 133 recovered. There is no ratio.

And still only 2 deaths outside Mainland China, and one outside China entirely.

If the figures are not reliable, as is likely - they are all we have to go by and have at least been consistent. And that consistency shows that something went terribly wrong in Hubei. My guess is an initially more virulent disease followed by sharp tapering, combined with locally health facilities being utterly overwhelmed by genuine illness but also by panic and fear.

I can go by numbers but also by gut instinct. This time last Sunday i was genuinely worried. Now, for the western world not so much.

That is not to belittle this outbreak.. it is unprecedented in the modern world. It shows we need to dramatically increase research into viral disease, to the level into which we research cancer.
    But it is not the "big one".

Yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Out of all the hospitals Limerick would be the absolute worst right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

MadYaker wrote: »
    This virus hasn't demonstrated much ability to spread outside of the initial outbreak zone so im not retreating to the underground bunker just yet. .
    Tell that to the folk on the cruise ship, who went from around 10 to 40 overnight

kenmc wrote: »
    Tell that to the folk on the cruise ship, who went from around 10 to 40 overnight

It's a bloody cruise ship.

I was on an Irish Ferries crossing to Cherbourg a few years ago in a Force 10 Gale. Wasn't sick myself but you could smell the vomit pungently through the AC. They are notorious for infection spreading.

That said. I've a cruise booked in June :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

wakka12 wrote: »
    Huge increase in serious and critical cases, another jump of 1000 in the space of a day. Over 20% of patients in Hubei are now in a (20%)critical or (80%)serious state with a 2.8% mortality rate

The fatality rate for the Spanish flue is estimated to have been around 2%. (Estimated low figure)

It is believed that outbreak was responsible for the deaths of between 20 million to 50 million people worldwie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

sdanseo wrote: »
    Even within China now, Hubei's mortality rate is an extreme outlier.

Beijing. 1 death, 33 recovered. 33:1 ratio.
    Guangdong. 1 death, 88 recovered. 88:1 ratio.
    Zheijiang. 0 deaths. 133 recovered. There is no ratio.

And still only 2 deaths outside Mainland China, and one outside China entirely.

If the figures are not reliable, as is likely - they are all we have to go by and have at least been consistent. And that consistency shows that something went terribly wrong in Hubei. My guess is an initially more virulent disease followed by sharp tapering, combined with locally health facilities being utterly overwhelmed by genuine illness but also by panic and fear.

I can go by numbers but also by gut instinct. This time last Sunday i was genuinely worried. Now, for the western world not so much.

That is not to belittle this outbreak.. it is unprecedented in the modern world. It shows we need to dramatically increase research into viral disease, to the level into which we research cancer.
    But it is not the "big one".

Yet.

What do you mean by "the big one"?

gozunda wrote: »
    The fatality rate for the Spanish flue is estimated to have been around 2%. 

It is believed that that outbreak was responsible for the deaths of between 20 million to 50 million people.

Somewhere between 2.5% and 20% is where science puts it. Margin of error around 800%.
    Even the US National Institute of Health's own study contradicts itself dramatically in the abstract. Says >2.5% then quotes minimum deaths at a figure that equates to 10%.
    There was just not enough records kept - or able to kept- to tell for sure.

Mind you, that's before antibiotics (for secondary bacterial pneumonia), antivirals or mechanical ventilation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3291398/
    An estimated one third of the world's population (or ≈500 million persons) were infected and had clinically apparent illnesses (1,2) during the 1918–1919 influenza pandemic. The disease was exceptionally severe. Case-fatality rates were >2.5%, compared to <0.1% in other influenza pandemics (3,4). Total deaths were estimated at ≈50 million (5–7) and were arguably as high as 100 million (7).
    Blanco100 wrote: »

A "contagion" style virus that wipes out a very significant proportion of the population.

One of the Tabloids is reporting that there are three suspect cases being investigated at UHL

"Three patients await results of tests for Coronavirus after presenting at Limerick hospital"
    A source said two female patients were admitted to the hospital this morning with flu-like symptoms after they had together travelled to Ireland from China in recent days...

A third male patient, who is understood to have traveled to Ireland from China recently, also presented at the hospital today with similar symptoms.

All three are awaiting the results of tests, which take at least eight hours to process ...

The patients were being accommodated in special isolation rooms at the hospital, as a precaution, and in line with usual infection control protocols.

News report not confirmed bt the HSE or Department of health...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Blanco100 wrote: »
    apocalypse probably

sdanseo wrote: »
    Somewhere between 2.5% and 20% is where science puts it. Margin of error around 800%.

Mind you, that's before antibiotics (for secondary bacterial pneumonia), antivirals or mechanical ventilation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3291398/ ...

Yeah 2 % detailed = low figure

Yes as detailed previously antibiotics are no use for Coronavirus.

People need to stop "presenting at hospital" with a suspected case of borderline pandemic virus.

Self isolate. Stay at home and call your doctor, then let them advise and assist.

If people can't follow that basic advice, perhaps Darwinism needs to run its course.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    One of the Tabloids is reporting that there are three suspect cases being investigated at UHL

"Three patients await results of tests for Coronavirus after presenting at Limerick hospital"

News report not confirmed bt the HSE or Department of health...
    Article is 100% credible. Journalist is friends with my wife.

Article is 100% credible. Journalist is friends with my wife.

Jesus wept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

quoted text is not from the article linked that I can see.
    Previous post sounded funny but my point is that I'm familiar with what the guy does and doesn't say and it has always been true to my knowledge.

According to the HSE website each GPs practice in the country will recieve 4 packs of disposable PPE equipment- including gown, gloves and facemask

Accompanying HSE Video on the personal protective equipment provided

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/guidance/infectionpreventionandcontrolguidance/

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus.html#gp-hcp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,730 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

News reports from a variety of media sources report that Royal Caribbean and Norwegian Cruise Lines are banning passengers (and staff) from their cruise ships who hold passports from China, Hong Kong, or Macao “until further notice” because of the coronavirus outbreak,

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/7/21128468/ships-coronavirus-ban-royal-caribbean-norwegian-cruise-outbreak-passports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The CIA say it's the most advanced bio weapons facility in China.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Chinese sources claiming that the virus came from this scaly creature called the Pangolin, fluid was extracted from the creature that apparently 99% matched 2019-cov.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/07/wuhan-facing-wartime-conditions-as-china-tries-to-contain-coronavirus

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,460 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Not bad, the western experts reckoned a snake rather than a bat would be the source, this reptile chappy is pretty close.

Meanwhile the movie '"Contagion" is in the iTunes UK top 10 movie downloads this week. Masochists.

The most trafficked animal in the world. Maybe this will cut demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Not bad, the western experts reckoned a snake rather than a bat would be the source, this reptile chappy is pretty close.

Meanwhile the movie '"Contagion" is in the iTunes UK top 10 movie downloads this week. Masochists.

It's actually a mammal similar to an armadillo

Royal Caribbean bans all Chinese people with Chinese passports no matter who from it's cruise ships

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/07/coronavirus-royal-caribbean-cruise-bans-chinese-nationals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Damn, I love pangolins. A perfectly beautiful creature that humanity has manage to find some way to defile yet again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I can't imagine a creature that eats ants for survival sounds all that appetising.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Wuhan facing 'wartime conditions' as global coronavirus deaths reach 724

With businesses around the world suffering, Beijing tightens controls

Sat 8 Feb 2020 03.55 GMT

Increasingly desperate officials in the quarantined epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak have tightened controls on an already frightened population, likening the growing crisis to “wartime conditions”.

Authorities in Wuhan city have started going door to door checking temperatures, and rounding up suspected coronavirus patients for forcible quarantine in stadiums and exhibition centres that are serving as warehouses for the sick, the New York Times reported. The city and country face “wartime conditions”, the paper quoted vice-premier Sun Chunlan, who has been put in charge of the national campaign against the virus, as saying on a visit to Wuhan. She said: “There must be no deserters, or they will be nailed to the pillar of historical shame forever.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/07/wuhan-facing-wartime-conditions-as-china-tries-to-contain-coronavirus

Latest case in Vietnam was one of the group that went to Wuhan. Came back a few weeks ago.
    Tested positive yet is totally fine. No fever / cough / anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Blud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,399 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Latest case in Vietnam was one of the group that went to Wuhan. Came back a few weeks ago.

Tbh means nothing until 14 days have passed after the first confirmed test.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Tbh means nothing until 14 days have passed after the first confirmed test.

What do you mean?

Blud wrote: »
    Did your CIA mate verify these reports?

I don't have a CIA mate.

There is a tool you can make use of, whenever you like, if you like. Trust me, it is revolutionary...about 15 years a go but still...you gotta learn these things

Here is a "how to"...

https://searchengineland.com/guide/how-to-use-google-to-search

It's really fascinating.

The New York Times is interesting as well. Maybe you should have a read?

Next! :pac:

:cool:

I don't have a CIA mate.

There is a tool you can make use of, whenever you like, if you like. Trust me, it is revolutionary...about 15 years a go but still...you gotta learn these things

Here is a "how to"...

https://searchengineland.com/guide/how-to-use-google-to-search

It's really fascinating.

The New York Times is interesting as well. Maybe you should have a read?

Next! :pac:

:cool:

You made the claim buddy. Repeatedly. You've been asked to link your source and you refuse.

If it's that easy to find, stick a link in here. Unless of course what you are referring to doesn't actually support your claim.

I'll be waiting.

Blud wrote: »
    You made the claim buddy. Repeatedly. You've been asked to link your source and you refuse.

If it's that easy to find, stick a link in here. Unless of course what you are referring to doesn't actually support your claim.

I'll be waiting.

You were already dismissed "buddy". Do your own homework.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Just wondering if there has been any unconfirmed reports at the UHG in Galway as the town is going to be packed for tomorrow for the opening 2020 celebrations, thinking of staying away from it and staying indoors. :)

I think the weather might be more reason to stay indoors. I think the organisers are meeting this morning to determine the impact the weather will have on the opening ceremonies and any changes necessary. With high winds, spring tides of 5m+ and heavy rain forecast there might be some disruption.

Had they been in quarantine since arriving?

And I'll wait.

Had they been in quarantine since arriving?

Nope. They arrived back from Wuhan on the 17th January which was before this really became a thing. (this thread was started on the 22nd)
    Most of the others are sick and all are in quarantine. She got tested a couple of days ago and came back positive even though she feels fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

There is no credible link on google. You said the CIA has confirmed China has a bioweapons lab. This would be the biggest news this week, if the CIA had made such claim in any official capacity. If it is only internal info how did you get the clearance to be informed?

I think you can see how increadably stupid this makes you look.
    Post the link and regain credibility.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement