Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

Nope. They arrived back from Wuhan on the 17th January which was before this really became a thing. (this thread was started on the 22nd)
    Most of the others are sick and all are in quarantine. She got tested a couple of days ago and came back positive even though she feels fine.

This is a strange virus. Wonder if one of them had the virus since arriving but like the female, didn’t feel sick. Which means they may have been in contact with random people since.

Jeez lads, move on from the CIA stuff. Believe it, don’t believe it, laugh at it like many other conspiracies that have been posted.

Be like Elsa!

This is a strange virus. Wonder if one of them had the virus since arriving but like the female, didn’t feel sick. Which means they may have been in contact with random people since.

Four people in that area went to Wuhan. One of them infected three family members, one of whom was 16. Eighteen people they know are in quarantine.

Unlucky family. Having a third of the country's confirmed between them.

Here’s hoping they all recover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Current world data for outbreak. Although I reckon the official Chinese figures are unlikely to reflect the full seriousness of the current situation.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

sdanseo wrote: »
    People need to stop "presenting at hospital" with a suspected case of borderline pandemic virus.

Self isolate. Stay at home and call your doctor, then let them advise and assist.

If people can't follow that basic advice, perhaps Darwinism needs to run its course.

Or travel back from China in recent days without advising the authorities on arrival.

This is the selfish bit that really annoys me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

sdanseo wrote: »
    People need to stop "presenting at hospital" with a suspected case of borderline pandemic virus.

Self isolate. Stay at home and call your doctor, then let them advise and assist.

If people can't follow that basic advice, perhaps Darwinism needs to run its course.

This is part of the guidleines published by HSE very clearly and printed on the breaking news website. go to breakingnews.ie and the header at the top " coronavirus" HSE is acting on WHO and world/European guidelines and all si well provided for,

Cannot post links on my machine so maybe someone could, to set folks ' minds at rest on this?

It is under control here and provisions are in place. And yes, we can all protect ourselves and our familes; masks, strict hygiene etc,

And please, keep an eye out for any old folk alone near you? Gale and ?? snow?? ahead and they will need shopping etc. And they will be worried too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

gozunda wrote: »
    Current world data for outbreak. Although I reckon the official Chinese figures are unlikely to reflect the full seriousness of the current situation.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I'd be very worried about those 'severe condition' cases.
    Those are the ones that may turn into far higher mortality when hospitals are stretched as it continues to spread.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1226011869120548864?s=19

Need numbers of those who have died from viral pneumonia asap now and for previous years so we can see how big the change is from normal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Someone who responded to that tweet made a good observation. If we had total number of daily deaths in China now, from any cause, a comparison could be made with daily death totals in other years. I wonder are those kind of statistics available.
    Edit. Snap. I see you edited to make similar point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You need to make your own minds up on the figures at this point. They are meaningless.

We have a situation now as reported in the NYT where, as I predicted, all suspected cases are being moved in to what are effectively concentration camps in Wuhan. Not even the hospitals they built.

Come to your own conclusions as to the seriousness of the situation. Governments around the world have already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

You’d imagine that corralling sick people in close proximity to each other will increase the severity of each case as well thereby making the outcome worse for these individuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Panrich wrote: »
    You’d imagine that corralling sick people in close proximity to each other will increase the severity of each case as well thereby making the outcome worse for these individuals.

Perhaps but it’s been the way of things since time began. Google for pictures of the tb hospitals in Ireland that were here right up to the 80s.
    In cases like these, the healthy need to be protected, the sick unfortunately have to take their chances, and better that’s fine away from healthy population. It’s apparent China don’t know what they are dealing with here, and only started trialing hiv meds to treat it in the last day or so, even though reports from other countries are that a combo of anti virals including hiv anti virals have worked well against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭busymum1

This is the best summary that I've seen so far..It makes for a chilling read though. https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/reporters-notebook-life-and-death-in-a-wuhan-coronavirus-icu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Gynoid wrote: »
    Someone who responded to that tweet made a good observation. If we had total number of daily deaths in China now, from any cause, a comparison could be made with daily death totals in other years. I wonder are those kind of statistics available.
    Edit. Snap. I see you edited to make similar point

As I pointed out a couple of days ago. Just saying. :)
    volchitsa wrote: »
    If that is happening in any numbers, then death rates from pneumonia etc will have spiked. Are they going to refuse to make those available while publishing (official) death rates from this virus? Would be pretty dodgy looking, surely?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Yes, they are more concerned about containment. At the current rate of spread it would infect everyone in China in a few months. They are placing exceptional demands on their citizens as a result. It's horrific but I don't know any better ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

How many of the quarantined (which are now mandatory and forced on anyone with symptoms) in to these camps are coming back out?

It's an horrific situation that has no place in the 21st century. It's incredible that a CCP official can come out and talk about "deserters" if people try resist capture.

Yet that is where China now is.

It's incredible.

Ireland would not pursue a containment strategy so aggressively. If there was a proper outbreak here they would switch to a mitigation strategy. That means that they would focus on treating the most unwell people, as opposed to containing infected people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

How many of the quarantined (which are now mandatory and forced on anyone with symptoms) in to these camps are coming back out?

It's an horrific situation that has no place in the 21st century. It's incredible that a CCP official can come out and talk about "deserters" if people try resist capture.

Yet that is where China now is.

It's incredible.

In a country where human rights are non existent, nothing is incredible.

A young Australian girl evacuated from China and in quarantine on Christmas Island has been tested for coronavirus after developing an illness.

But Deputy Chief Medical Officer Paul Kelly says her sickness isn't serious and could be "all sorts of things".

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/authorities-call-for-calm-as-child-tested-for-coronavirus-on-christmas-island

Another cause for concern was that some patients who at first appeared mildly or moderately ill then took a turn for the worse several days or even a week into their illness. The median time from their first symptoms to when they became short of breath was five days; to hospitalization, seven days; and to severe breathing trouble, eight days. Experts say that pattern means patients must be carefully monitored, and it is not safe to assume that someone who seems to be doing well early on is out of the woods.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/08/world/asia/coronavirus-china.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭ghost of ireland past

China is doing the right thing by quarantining sick people.

It is bizarre that people are criticial of them for doing the right thing.

Why does Boards hate the Chinese so much?

screamer wrote: »
    In a country where human rights are non existent, nothing is incredible.

Human rights are not non-existent in China. That is a stupid thing to say. I suppose they eat their babies too, right?

Can people stop telling lies about China please?

Ireland would not pursue a containment strategy so aggressively. If there was a proper outbreak here they would switch to a mitigation strategy. That means that they would focus on treating the most unwell people, as opposed to containing infected people.

And all Irish people would suffer as a result.

Our government is weak in nearly all respects. We should protect our society, both from diseases and from foreign cultures that hate us.

busymum1 wrote: »
    This is the best summary that I've seen so far..It makes for a chilling read though. https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/reporters-notebook-life-and-death-in-a-wuhan-coronavirus-icu

Great link, thanks, 3 weeks to die and expect a 3-5% death rate.

And all Irish people would suffer as a result.

Our government is weak in nearly all respects. We should protect our society, both from diseases and from foreign cultures that hate us.
    Let's not derail the thread into thread number nine million and seven about Muslim immigration.

5 British infected in France in a ski resort, Contamines Montjoie in Haute Savoie. The index case traveled from Singapore (not picked up on airport screening) and infected the others including a child.. Contact tracing there will be almost impossible.

https://twitter.com/Conflits_FR/status/1226080413661245440

���� FLASH - Le village où la famille a séjourné s'appelle Contamines Montjoie. Ils étaient dans un #chalet isolé dans ce village de Haute Savoie. Un homme, contaminé depuis son voyage à #Singapore, a infecté toute sa famille. #coronavirus #nCoV19

Les 5 patients ont été infectés dans un chalet de Haute Savoie par un ���� revenant de #Singapour. Il n'avait pas été détecté à l'aéroport. Les 4 adultes et l'enfant sont hospitalisés à #Lyon, Saint Étienne et #Grenoble. (Le Progrès) #coronavirus #CORONAVIRUSENFRANCE

Human rights are not non-existent in China. That is a stupid thing to say. I suppose they eat their babies too, right?

It's not really a lie. The fact is that they have suspend-able human/national rights. It's a police state. Their constitution can be suspended for all manner of reasons. Chinese people have rights right up until the government decides that those rights are inconvenient. In most cases, those rights are not infringed upon but that doesn't really matter.

Many posters on boards have very narrow views regarding countries that aren't democracies, and don't conform to their view of how people should be treated. Most of them have never been to China or if they have, they've merely been there as a tourist with very limited experience of the country. They don't really consider the differences (to western nations) in culture and values to be relevant.

China is an evil regime and Anything that goes against that belief will be shot down. So, get used to it. It's really that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Ireland has gone into full on anti Chinese mode the last week or so, I have picked up on comments from a few quarters that really surprised me and wouldn't be the normal things they would so. I don't plan to join in on this mad rush to jump on this distasteful bandwagon.

I also noticed that nobody wants to discuss the humanitarian situation, the monumential efforts nomal folk on the ground like medical workers are making and just want to spend 95% of the time going over old ground about the communist party, human rights and animal rights. It's as if they are now enjoying the suffering of the innocnet people on the ground do to their strong views of other issues related to China. I was ear shot of one eejit who turned a table full of people worried about the virus into them all listening to his rant on Huawei 5G and how he thinks China wants world domination. Thankfully we had a few who were as gobsmacked as I was and was rolling their eyes when he talked.

There seems to be a disconnect with people when it comes to issues in China to other countires including the previous earthquakes, it brings out a real messed up side in people.

Personally I hope they get on top of it ASAP, there is videos of people in protective suits arriving at homes where a couple of generations of one family are not alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Ireland has gone into full on anti Chinese mode the last week or so, I have picked up on comments from a few quarters that really surprised me and wouldn't be the normal things they would so. I don't plan to joy in on this mad rush to jump on this distasteful bandwagon.

I also noticed that nobody wants to discuss the humanitarian situation, the monumential efforts nomal folk on the ground like medical workers are making and just want to spend 95% of the time going over old ground about the communist party, human rights and animal rights. It's as if they are now enjoying the suffering of the innocnet people on the ground do to their strong views of other issues related to China. I was ear shot of one eejit who turned a table full of people worried about the virus into them all listening to his rant on Huawei 5G and how he thinks China wants world domination. Thankfully we had a few who were as gobsmacked as I was and was rolling their eyes when he talked.

There seems to be a disconnect with people when it comes to issues in China to other countires including the previous earthquakes, it brings out a real messed up side in people.

Personally I hope they get on top of it ASAP, there is videos of people in protective suits arriving at homes where a couple of generations of one family are not alive.

Well said.

It's not really a lie. The fact is that they have suspend-able human/national rights. It's a police state. Their constitution can be suspended for all manner of reasons. Chinese people have rights right up until the government decides that those rights are inconvenient. In most cases, those rights are not infringed upon but that doesn't really matter.

Many posters on boards have very narrow views regarding countries that aren't democracies, and don't conform to their view of how people should be treated. Most of them have never been to China or if they have, they've merely been there as a tourist with very limited experience of the country. They don't really consider the differences (to western nations) in culture and values to be relevant.

China is an evil regime and Anything that goes against that belief will be shot down. So, get used to it. It's really that simple.

Nobody is disputing that they have a totalitarian regime but people seem to use this to score points online with a total focus on it and act as if there is no real humans on the ground there trying to do wonderful things to rescure the situation. There is huge self sacrifice going on right now but most don't know because of the overload of virtue signalling racists who have suddenly come out of the closet to overlabour old points and rant about the government in beijing.

• Advertisement

China is an evil regime ....

I'm sick and tired of these type of comments.

China is not evil.

People are idiots in Ireland. Stop believing the hype.

I believe you live in China. Do you tell them all the time that they're evil?

"The initial case was reported to us last night, it is a British national returning from Singapore where he had stayed from January 20 to 23," said Agnes Buzyn. He stayed in France from 24 to 28 January in a chalet in Contamines-Montjoie, in Haute-Savoie. In this chalet are two apartments. In the first, three people - including the initial case - were diagnosed positive and four others suffered from minor symptoms. In the second apartment, a father and his child were also infected. The mother, who was not present, was taken into hospital on British soil. "All of the positive cases and contacts of this British national, all of British nationality, were hospitalized last night in three hospitals in Lyon, Saint-Etienne and Grenoble," said Agnès Buzyn.

Sweet Holy Jesus! From Jan 23rd, so many contacts.
    Twitter saying UK to ban flights from Singapore but nothing offical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Reading Kerrys eye, someone here being tested for the virus, don't know the outcome yet

People are also attacking the efforts of China. I have no doubt that at a local level they could maybe have done more sooner but nobody with half a brain could say they are not throwing the kitchen sink at it now, at a national level and to huge economic and personal sacrifice.

The very nature of this virus and the unpalatable steps need to contain it, including isolation and quarintine, would not be done in a western country. There is no poltical will to do that and they would be still be debating huge resistiance from the hard left about what is wrong without being offered any solutions. People would not be disciplined enough to follow curfews and would ignore the authorties. Criminals would exploit the situation and we would see many things like Lidl Tallaght in the Snow again. The local authorities would be going around in vans sticking up the odd big of harris fencing months after the horse has bolted. People need to be honest with themselves about how other places would react in a pandemic including ourselves.

Let's leave the charater assassination of China to a while after this virus is sorted.

This is what the doctors and medical staff put up with.
    wrote:
    The deputy director of our department told me one thing, and he cried too. ... The deputy director went there to help in their ICU. He found that two-thirds of the medical staff in the ICU were already infected. Doctors there were running "naked" as they knew they were set to be infected given the shortage of protective gear. They still worked there nonetheless. That was why ICU medical staff were almost all sickened. It is too tough for our doctors and nurses.

Tell me again about how the Chinese are evil.

Boards is sick. Irish people should not be proud of themselves.

goat2 wrote: »
    Reading Kerrys eye, someone here being tested for the virus, don't know the outcome yet

It should be 8 hour turnaround through the facility in TCD. I would presume there is no case here.

Nobody is disputing that they have a totalitarian regime but people seem to use this to score points online with a total focus on it and act as if there is no real humans on the ground there trying to do wonderful things to rescure the situation. There is huge self sacrifice going on right now but most don't know because of the overload of virtue signalling racists who have suddenly come out of the closet to overlabour old points and rant about the government in beijing.
    Take the doctor that just died, if they had listned to him, we would not be worried about this virus, he was told to shut his mouth, when he had advised other doctors to cover up and protect himself, He is now dead, in his early thirties, and healthy, what a pity, those in government think they knew more than that doctor, would not live there for all the gold in the world

busymum1 wrote: »
    "The initial case was reported to us last night, it is a British national returning from Singapore where he had stayed from January 20 to 23," said Agnes Buzyn. He stayed in France from 24 to 28 January in a chalet in Contamines-Montjoie, in Haute-Savoie. In this chalet are two apartments. In the first, three people - including the initial case - were diagnosed positive and four others suffered from minor symptoms. In the second apartment, a father and his child were also infected. The mother, who was not present, was taken into hospital on British soil. "All of the positive cases and contacts of this British national, all of British nationality, were hospitalized last night in three hospitals in Lyon, Saint-Etienne and Grenoble," said Agnès Buzyn.

Sweet Holy Jesus! From Jan 23rd, so many contacts.
    Twitter saying UK to ban flights from Singapore but nothing offical.

Was he not suspicious and self isolated?

Causing a panic is reckless and dangerous.

Stop assuming that the Chinese are idiots and are evil. Start acting in good faith.

• Advertisement

It should be 8 hour turnaround through the facility in TCD. I would presume there is no case here.

I hope it is the case,
    according to the news last night, nobody entring the country is being tested for fever like they are doing in other countries,
    the sooner we get a good old blast of frost the better for Europe, it kills all germs in the air and surfaces outside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

'good old blast of frost the better for Europe, it kills all germs in the air and surfaces outside'

It has been said that the corona virus likes the cold but doesn't like sunlight and heat.

Take the doctor that just died, if they had listned to him, we would not be worried about this virus, he was told to shut his mouth, when he had advised other doctors to cover up and protect himself, He is now dead, in his early thirties, and healthy, what a pity, those in government think they knew more than that doctor, would not live there for all the gold in the world

That is a typical story we get when the real story is likely not as daming. I am sure he flagged something and kept working. We now look back and wonder when China was not giving international press conferences to inform the world they had a case of this virus. Would the media have care then? Would it have neen seen as news then? There is clearly questions at a provincial level and certainly at a Wuhan city level but do you seriously think all the real time information of the virus in it's infacncy and with few people suffering was leading to a situaton room type scenario in Beijing? If you do then you are terribly naive how the world works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I hope it is the case,
    according to the news last night, nobody entring the country is being tested for fever like they are doing in other countries,
    the sooner we get a good old blast of frost the better for Europe, it kills all germs in the air and surfaces outside

Viruses like this one can’t survive outside the human body or on any surface for more than few hours. This is why the spread is slow. They also don’t mind cold temperatures. Any hand sanitizer with alcohol in it will be effective.

saabsaab wrote: »
    'good old blast of frost the better for Europe, it kills all germs in the air and surfaces outside'

It has been said that the corona virus likes the cold but doesn't like sunlight and heat.

Get down the local Gym and take that extra 15 mins in your post work out sauna. Some reports saying ti doesn't like it about 57 degrees.

Enjoy the sauna, can't beat it.

Stop assuming that the Chinese are idiots and are evil. Start acting in good faith.
    China have put their whole economy on the line here, it's a war footing. Failure to resolve this is unimaginable to them. I have no doubt the kitchen sick is going at it now at this stage. While China is in crisis mode we can turn on the thoughts and prayers and bash them on twitter, it will surely help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I wonder how long the delay in making it public will be after a positive result is found here? Probably several agencies/Departments to be notified first. Perhaps a re-test too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Other way around G. Viruses don't like sunlight and high temps. UV kills them stone dead. It's why cold and flu season isn't in June. Sars a good example as far as this type of virus is concerned. Cases kept climbing until the temps started to go up and then fell off a cliff. I'll lay bets now that somewhere like Australia will avoid much of this current virus.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I'm sick and tired of these type of comments.

Then don't enter a thread that relates to China...
    China is not evil.

China isn't. Some of their politicians, past and present are. Evil is a matter of perception. The problem is that many posters here can't see China or the Chinese government as entities that change over time. Instead, they're firmly focused on Mao's great leap forward, the cultural revolution, or Tsquare. They hear of some farmers pushed off land to allow a reservoir to be built, so they assume that everyone is treated that way. They simply can't comprehend a nation with 1.4 billion people...
    People are idiots in Ireland. Stop believing the hype.

People are idiots everywhere. You obviously have never heard what Chinese people think of foreigners..... :rolleyes:
    I believe you live in China. Do you tell them all the time that they're evil?

Nope, I'm one of the few foreigners who have lived there extensively. Most foreigners come for short periods. I've been there over a decade, and I'm ready to leave for good.

But then, I'm rather cynical about many countries. I find western nations to be full of double standards and hypocrisy. I'm not political. I don't push my beliefs on to other people (except on boards.ie) because I recognise that regardless of how much I live in other countries, my understanding of their culture will be limited. (I don't tend to travel, since I prefer living extended periods in countries instead.)

However, China is a rather ****ed up country. So too is the US. Both nations are full of extremes. Both countries seek to hide their corruption, greed, and abuse of their people. And I could list a dozen other countries that are just as messed up... but it doesn't matter, because westerners will always find excuses for how western countries are... just as asians do for their own countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

MadYaker wrote: »
    Viruses like this one can’t survive outside the human body or on any surface for more than few hours. This is why the spread is slow. They also don’t mind cold temperatures. Any hand sanitizer with alcohol in it will be effective.

Just went to vote. Building has glass front door. As I approached from outside the genteel old lady coming from inside towards the door politely had her hand covering her mouth as she hacked up her guts. She opened the door handle with the same hand.
    No, I am not worried that she has coronavirus but still sometimes I hate humans. :(
    Mumblemumblegrinchgrinch...

Dude... are you Chinese/Asian? Your phrasing is very... rare for a native English speaker.. :D;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement