Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

Is it transferrable before symptoms?

goat2 wrote: »
    I hope it is the case,
    according to the news last night, nobody entring the country is being tested for fever like they are doing in other countries,
    the sooner we get a good old blast of frost the better for Europe, it kills all germs in the air and surfaces outside

No it doesn't:
    scientists successfully revived bacteria that had been encased in a frozen pond in Alaska for 32,000 years
    http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20170504-there-are-diseases-hidden-in-ice-and-they-are-waking-up

You need heat https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2863430/

It's why we have cold and flu season in winter
    MadYaker wrote: »
    Viruses like this one can’t survive outside the human body or on any surface for more than few hours. This is why the spread is slow. They also don’t mind cold temperatures. Any hand sanitizer with alcohol in it will be effective.

It can last 28 days in some conditions in the research linked. It's also why it'll spread in hot countries...air conditioning will really help

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Ireland would not pursue a containment strategy so aggressively. If there was a proper outbreak here they would switch to a mitigation strategy. That means that they would focus on treating the most unwell people, as opposed to containing infected people.

Thanks for this, but what does it mean exactly. Would schools close as they’re a breeding ground for infection? What happens with the most unwell outnumber the available spaces in hospitals that are already in short supply. Would it not be reckless and shameful of the government to not to try and protect Irish citizens and slow down the spread as available resources will disappear as is happening in Wuhan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

We don't know. There was a report that it was that was withdrawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

MadYaker wrote: »
    Viruses like this one can’t survive outside the human body or on any surface for more than few hours. This is why the spread is slow. They also don’t mind cold temperatures. Any hand sanitizer with alcohol in it will be effective.

Then explain to me why we’re seeing cement trucks full of some form of disinfectant spray Wuhan nightly. If it can’t survive more than a few hours surely this exercise is pointless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

People are idiots everywhere. You obviously have never heard what Chinese people think of foreigners..... :rolleyes:

Like many stereotypes there is elements of truth to it and the Chinese in China have learnt that there is issues with their expat community. They didn't have this experience in the 00's and would give them the benefit of the doubt that they were upstanding professionals.
    Then it was clear a disproportionate amount of the sexpats where there due to being "low quality" people in their own country and not the skilled professionals they claimed to be. They moved around jobs frequently, often working without permits and just drinking and sex obsessed. You would be lying if you don't acknowledge the huge numbers that fit this bill in China.

Many Chinese traveled, studied, and come back only to point out in society that from their experience overseas that the locals had been hoodwinked by these "sexpat professionals". This has been subject to huge debate now at national level on many media platforms.

They since introduced cards they indicated the quality of expat you are and drifter teacher types are given a low grade.

Nobody is disputing that they have a totalitarian regime but people seem to use this to score points online with a total focus on it and act as if there is no real humans on the ground there trying to do wonderful things to rescure the situation. There is huge self sacrifice going on right now but most don't know because of the overload of virtue signalling racists who have suddenly come out of the closet to overlabour old points and rant about the government in beijing.

I know. I've been rather disgusted by the general behavior of the Internet in spreading misinformation. But then, I look at Chinese sites, and I see more of the same.

As for boards, posters talk about empathy and showing sympathy. There's a crap-ton of virtue signalling on these boards whenever a tragedy happens. However, often the same people will seek to score points by hopping up to their high moral pedestal to beat Chinese related issues. It's just the way boards has evolved... Took me a while to get used to it, and mostly I just ignore such posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

So its official, China is not being truthful about the number killed by the virus. Japan's foreign ministry claim a Japanese citizen is likely to have died of coronavirus in a Wuhan hospital but had his cause of death listed as 'viral pneumonia'

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

Japanese media said the local hospital told the embassy that his initial test result was "high possibility to be positive", but he didn't have the chance to do a second test to confirm it because of "difficulties".
    https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASN284G0BN28UTFK007.html

Really puts into perspective how much larger this issue may be than it seems now, and might justify all the insane actions being taken over there. Just a few hundred people in ALL of China are listed as being killed from seasonal flu in an entire year when the actual number is many tens of thousands

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Apparently so and in some their symptoms are so weak that they don't know they have it, but can pass it on. Nasty little bastard of a bug.

As usual our government and health organisation are in reactive it'll be grand mode. In essence we can only really rely on the fact we have no direct flights from heavily affected areas and people who are travelling here from same will have to go through other airports and jurisdictions that have measures in place. If the government and HSE were any bloody use we'd have been doing airport checks for at least a week, but no. The HSE is badly broken and running on old style Irish civil service rules and the government is too busy with the elections. ****.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Belfunk wrote: »
    Then explain to me why we’re seeing cement trucks full of some form of disinfectant spray Wuhan nightly. If it can’t survive more than a few hours surely this exercise is pointless?
    Could be a hearts and minds exercise to keep panic down to make it look like they're doing something. That said firing disinfectant all over the streets is bound to kill a fair chunk of the viruses in public areas.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Causing a panic is reckless and dangerous.

Stop assuming that the Chinese are idiots and are evil. Start acting in good faith.

They're not calling the people 'evil' rather the CCP regime.

If you can explain away the enforced Uyghur 're-education' internment camps, it would go some way to allay the criticisms.

auspicious wrote: »
    They're not calling the people 'evil' rather the CCP regime.

If you can explain away the enforced Uyghur 're-education' internment camps, it would go some way to allay the criticisms.

So why do they just say China or the Chinese. That just seems like a get out clause when someone gets pulled up for being a racist oaf.

Klaz, are you one of those sexpats?

:D

His ID/Resident card would tell you his grade, or he works illegally which would also tell you. That means they do jobs with employers who don't see their worth being of the level that it is worth paying for a visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

This is what the doctors and medical staff put up with.

Tell me again about how the Chinese are evil.

Boards is sick. Irish people should not be proud of themselves.

Nobody said Chinese people are evil. They said the regime.

Are you honestly sticking up for the government of China with a straight face. They have a string of human rights abuses.

They have gulag like camps ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Like many stereotypes there is elements of truth to it and the Chinese in China have learnt that there is issues with their expat community. They didn't have this experience in the 00's and would give them the benefit of the doubt that they were upstanding professionals.
    Then it was clear a disproportionate amount of the sexpats where there due to being "low quality" people in their own country and not the skilled professionals they claimed to be. They moved around jobs frequently, often working without permits and just drinking and sex obsessed. You would be lying if you don't acknowledge the huge numbers that fit this bill in China.

Many Chinese traveled, studied, and come back only to point out in society that from their experience overseas that the locals had been hoodwinked by these "sexpat professionals". This has been subject to huge debate now at national level on many media platforms.

They since introduced cards they indicated the quality of expat you are and drifter teacher types are given a low grade.

Yikes for someone who does not like stereotyping you are a dab hand at it. One of my children and several good friends have worked for years in China and brighter better people you could not meet. I hope they have not been assigned your special stars, I mean cards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

wakka12 wrote: »
    So its official, China is not being truthful about the number killed by the virus. Japan's foreign ministry claim a Japanese citizen is likely to have died of coronavirus in a Wuhan hospital but had his cause of death listed as 'viral pneumonia'

Really puts into perspective how much larger this issue may be than it seems now, and might justify all the insane actions being taken over there. Just a few hundred people in ALL of China are listed as being killed from seasonal flu in an entire year when the actual number is many tens of thousands

This has been well documented for weeks, the chinese classification system for deaths is incredibly flawed, they only list one of the conditions instead of like every country in the world which lists everything that lead to the death.

Its for this reason china with a population of 1.3 billion officially had less than 200 flu related deaths last year.... the US had 61000

Go into more stats and it shows last to days it’s starting to decline in the number of confirmed cases since out beak

Nothing that comes out of China can be taken at face value

Like many stereotypes there is elements of truth to it and the Chinese in China have learnt that there is issues with their expat community.

You're confusing what I said with the expat community.

Look. Most Chinese people never meet a westerner. Or any foreigner at all. The vast majority of Chinese people might see a foreigner in the street, take a photo with the stranger for kicks, but they'll never have a meaningful conversation with them. Why? because firstly, the populations of foreigners compared to Chinese are tiny (even in Shanghai or GZ), and second, because even after 7+ years learning English, most can't speak even the basics. (It's a lot like Irish people trying to speak Irish)

The vast majority of foreigners coming into China, come from the M.East and Africa. Westerners are a definite minority.. and professionals working are an even greater minority.
    They didn't have this experience in the 00's and would give them the benefit of the doubt that they were upstanding professionals.

All foreigners are lumped together. Sure, there's a degree of separation due to race (black/white/brown[a.k.a black in china]), but to those with limited experience of foreigners, we're all the same. A teacher does something stupid in Beijing, well, I will be associated with that foreigner even though I'm in Xi'an.

So, we get non-native speakers getting jobs as teachers, and a variety of pedo's recently molesting kindergarten students... so, we're all hit with the same looks. Chinese people don't believe the media, but they're still affected by it.

Sexpats? Hardly. That's mostly the students... but sure, guys come to live in China because they like Chinese women. I did... but your idea of sexpats is more of a thing in Thailand or Japan.

It's more to do with Chinese students returning and finding that their degrees from western universities to be not as useful as they expected. Or that their parents find out that they haven't improved their English at all, and failed their exams. They've gotta deflect responsibility away somehow.

Where are you getting all this sexpat crap from anyway?

Cards? lol. Be more specific. (sounds like BS to me, apart from your FT card which doesn't include any such info)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

VinLieger wrote: »
    This has been well documented for weeks, the chinese classification system for deaths is incredibly flawed, they only list one of the conditions instead of like every country in the world which lists everything that lead to the death.

Its for this reason china with a population of 1.3 billion officially had less than 200 flu related deaths last year.... the US had 61000

Yeh I had heard that certainly but I've also been hearing from WHO how open and honest the Chinese governemnt were being in this epidemic and you would think that would mean updating their classification system to give accurate results for the world

Anyway, in the city of Wuhan the mortality rate is 6%, as opposed to 2-3% in greater Hubei, I remember reading. With this means of classification, the mortality rate may be up near SARS level of 10% and would really help to explain why China are freaking out so much.

Yeh I had heard that certainly but I've also been hearing from WHO how open and honest the Chinese governemnt were being in this epidemic and you would think that would mean updating their classification system to give accurate results for the world

The WHO have to suck up to them to get just the useless info we are currently seeing, if they came out tomorrow and said plainly how flawed chinas approach was then all cooperation would stop and the world would be worse off, its a catch 22

Hardly. I came for work initially... although I do love Asian women. If I wanted to be a sexpat, there are much easier/better places. Thailand, Vietnam, or S.Korea. China has changed in the last decade... it's not as welcoming to foreigners anymore.
    His ID/Resident card would tell you his grade, or he works illegally which would also tell you. That means they do jobs with employers who don't see their worth being of the level that it is worth paying for a visa.

My grade is related to my visa, which is connected to my qualifications and time spent in China. It has nothing to do with their perception of me as a foreigner, or sexpat.

I've seen my file at the PSB. My girlfriend is a PSB officer. :pac::pac::pac:

Sometimes, I really wonder at the crap (or exaggerations) people make up about China.

Gynoid wrote: »
    Yikes for someone who does not like stereotyping you are a dab hand at it. One of my children and several good friends have worked for years in China and brighter better people you could not meet. I hope they have not been assigned your special stars, I mean cards...

I did not say all. I find the younger crowd better as they want to travel and thats good.

When you meet them older then you question why. I recall a conversation with an english chap, pony tail, weird looking. Claimed he was a headmaster in a high school in the UK and decided at 48 to quit to work in China. Said he wanted a new challange. Was earning about 800 euro a month in his main job there and was doing two other jobs to keep going. I remember thinking, who leaves a secure and successful career in teaching to do this, the job security, the pension, to be illegal in China. I presumed like many he was pushed not looking for a new challange and going by his behaviour, his crew with him, and his regular jaunts to Vietnam, I suspect he was no angel.

I recall myself and my colleague, who was there on a trade jaunt, were delighted to leave their company two beers later. Weirdos. Plenty of them over there long term.

and his regular jaunts to Vietnam, I suspect he was no angel.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Japanese media said the local hospital told the embassy that his initial test result was "high possibility to be positive", but he didn't have the chance to do a second test to confirm it because of "difficulties".
    https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASN284G0BN28UTFK007.html

Not to mention the 4 million people who die every year of pneumonia and the 450 million who contract it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumonia

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(10)61459-6/fulltext

• Advertisement

lol

Dunno what you’re laughing at, Sexpat!

:D:D

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

goat2 wrote: »
    I hope it is the case,
    according to the news last night, nobody entring the country is being tested for fever like they are doing in other countries,
    the sooner we get a good old blast of frost the better for Europe, it kills all germs in the air and surfaces outside

Bacteria and viruses can easily survive a bit of frost. Freezing them merely makes them go dormant temporarily

It’s why putting food in your freezer does not sterilize it, to sterilize you need either chemical agents, high temperatures or things like UV or Gama radiation

I recall myself and my colleague, who was there on a trade jaunt, were delighted to leave their company two beers later. Weirdos. Plenty of them over there long term.

I left a position earning 149k Aussie dollars to become a teacher in China. :rolleyes: I earn roughly 800 euro from my university position a month. Free accommodation and no bills.

I also work 14-16 hours a week. Yup. I negotiated all my classes to be held over two days, so I work just two days a week. I do, of course, do extra work or classes because I like my students but those activities are my choice, and I also get overtime for doing those. I could make more money teaching outside my university (and I could do it legally too), but It's not really worth it to me.

And what else do I do? I do consultancy. I'm an adviser to two companies in Xi'an, and act as a presenter/negotiator when they're dealing with foreign companies. I also write. I'm on my third book. In addition to that, I write articles for three business magazines online.

I have a house in Ireland, and manage to pay my mortgage quite easily. Hint. My mortgage is higher than my university salary. I also manage to send money home to my parents and sister.

You have a rather limited and naive view of China.. and more importantly of teachers in China. Sure, there are weirdos... Expats tend to be those who don't fit in at home... but the weirdo's tend to go to poorer countries since they're more desperate.

I left a position earning 149k Aussie dollars to become a teacher in China. :rolleyes: I earn roughly 800 euro from my university position a month. Free accommodation and no bills.

I also work 14-16 hours a week. Yup. I negotiated all my classes to be held over two days, so I work just two days a week. I do, of course, do extra work or classes because I like my students but those activities are my choice, and I also get overtime for doing those. I could make more money teaching outside my university (and I could do it legally too), but It's not really worth it to me.

And what else do I do? I do consultancy. I'm an adviser to two companies in Xi'an, and act as a presenter/negotiator when they're dealing with foreign companies. I also write. I'm on my third book. In addition to that, I write articles for three business magazines online.

I have a house in Ireland, and manage to pay my mortgage quite easily. Hint. My mortgage is higher than my university salary. I also manage to send money home to my parents and sister.

You have a rather limited and naive view of China.. and more importantly of teachers in China. Sure, there are weirdos... Expats tend to be those who don't fit in at home... but the weirdo's tend to go to poorer countries since they're more desperate.

Jeysus, that's 3/4 posts now. Seems to have rattled your cage, Calm down.

Now try and say something postive about the huge self sacrifice being made by these medical professionals in Wuhan, and concentrate on the issue at hand instead of your previous anti china rants that are not relevant and I won't mention the sexpat phenomenon in China again.

Still don't get how anyone could live in a place they hate so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

800 a month? You need a better contract!

• Advertisement

Oranage2 wrote: »

don't poke him, he rests.

don't poke him, he rests.

He does, as do I. Because of this virus closing where we work. Which is actually the topic of the thread.

He does, as do I. Because of this virus closing where we work. Which is actually the topic of the thread.

Correct, which is the point I was trying to make. I genuinely feel to the people out there.

Now if you are based there can you advise if you are getting deliverys. I posted some masks and other supplies to some people via An Post on wednesday and if successful I have much more to send. Are they getting through?

I note now all the medical suppliers in Ireland sold out but I manaaged to get 1700 the week before last.

Correct, which is the point I was trying to make. I genuinely feel to the people out there.

Now if you are based there can you advise if you are getting deliverys. I posted some masks and other supplies to some people via An Post on wednesday and if successful I have much more to send. Are they getting through?

I note now all the medical suppliers in Ireland sold out but I manaaged to get 1700 the week before last.

An post stopped Post to china yesterday due to lack of flights going there

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Scrabbles38

Nothing that comes out of China can be taken at face value

Very true... you need to look at what is happening outside of China... the mortally rate will be the same for this virus no matter what county it is in... so if it’s 2% , 4%, even 10% we should be seeing it out side of China ... which we are not ... which leads me to believe it’s lower than 2%...

Plus in the USA so far this flu season 19million people have cought it ...180000 have been hospitalised.... and 10000 have died... I know they are different virus... but people need to cram down and take a breath

An post stopped Post to china yesterday

Ok, sh:*

I sent out 300 on Wednesday, hopefully that will get through. I look like a prepper now with a big box on the dining table.

Very true... you need to look at what is happening outside of China... the mortally rate will be the same for this virus no matter what county it is in... so if it’s 2% , 4%, even 10% we should be seeing it out side of China ... which we are not ... which leads me to believe it’s lower than 2%...

Plus in the USA so far this flu season 19million people have cought it ...180000 have been hospitalised.... and 10000 have died... I know they are different virus... but people need to cram down and take a breath

I don't think so. Hosptials in China are overloaded. A case outside can have more focus and attention I would presume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Causing a panic is reckless and dangerous.

Stop assuming that the Chinese are idiots and are evil. Start acting in good faith.

50 Cent Party? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

Panrich wrote: »
    You’d imagine that corralling sick people in close proximity to each other will increase the severity of each case as well thereby making the outcome worse for these individuals.

I actually commented on this some time ago. It's sometimes easier to allow them to die rather than infect such a huge population

I've no idea as I don't get much post. But life here feels exactly like it did a few weeks ago except with schools off.

Good work getting masks.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    50 Cent Party?

You must think China is very cheap if you think 50 cents means much. I suspect their is hundreds of millions of Chinese who could buy and sell you in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Does anybody have any update on the three suspected cases that presented at UHL yesterday?

Ireland has gone into full on anti Chinese mode the last week or so, I have picked up on comments from a few quarters that really surprised me and wouldn't be the normal things they would so. I don't plan to join in on this mad rush to jump on this distasteful bandwagon.

I also noticed that nobody wants to discuss the humanitarian situation, the monumential efforts nomal folk on the ground like medical workers are making and just want to spend 95% of the time going over old ground about the communist party, human rights and animal rights. It's as if they are now enjoying the suffering of the innocnet people on the ground do to their strong views of other issues related to China. I was ear shot of one eejit who turned a table full of people worried about the virus into them all listening to his rant on Huawei 5G and how he thinks China wants world domination. Thankfully we had a few who were as gobsmacked as I was and was rolling their eyes when he talked.

There seems to be a disconnect with people when it comes to issues in China to other countires including the previous earthquakes, it brings out a real messed up side in people.

Personally I hope they get on top of it ASAP, there is videos of people in protective suits arriving at homes where a couple of generations of one family are not alive.
    It

It is a disturbing show of group thinks me think

Jeysus, that's 3/4 posts now. Seems to have rattled your cage, Calm down.

<snip>

Still don't get how anyone could live in a place they hate so much.

I posted because I don't like misrepresentation and people talking BS about China. I love my time in China. It's a fantastic country to study/observe human behavior, and the Chinese themselves are a wonderful people (in general). It's a great country to teach the subtleties of human interaction because the culture is so different from Western societies.. on the surface, not so much, but below the surface, yes.
    Now try and say something postive about the huge self sacrifice being made by these medical professionals in Wuhan, and concentrate on the issue at hand instead of your previous anti china rants that are not relevant and I won't mention the sexpat phenomenon in China again.

Nothing I posted was an anti-China rant. I'm probably one of the most pro-China posters on boards... :pac: but then, I'm more realistic/practical about China, since I've lived here extensively.

It can last 28 days in some conditions in the research linked. It's also why it'll spread in hot countries...air conditioning will really help

Take that with a grain of salt :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

You must think China is very cheap if you think 50 cents means much. I suspect their is hundreds of millions of Chinese who could buy and sell you in the morning.

I'm sure you think they would :D

Tbh I presumed the comment was an attempt at parody. Along the line of the stuff engaged in by what us known as the "50 cent party"
    The Chinese government doesn't just censor its internet. It also pays people to leave fake comments that make the country and its communist regime look good. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/chinas-50-cent-party-2014-10

Also

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/50_Cent_Party

Oranage2 wrote: »

Anyone who works as a lecturer/teacher in China for the money is fooling themselves. I work university for the security of my visa, the access it gives me to the Party, and the sheer amount of free time available to me. When I want money, I do other things.

If I really cared about money, I'd be back doing business consultancy in China... but dealing with Chinese companies and their idiotic assumptions is too painful.

Nobody ever calls a woman who goes to spain a sexpat tbh :P

Sexpats? Hardly. That's mostly the students... but sure, guys come to live in China because they like Chinese women. I did... but your idea of sexpats is more of a thing in Thailand or Japan.

You know most of the foreign students out of Japan to western countries are women? :P And the higest concentration of female expats is in Ireland, Britian, France and PAris...fancy that

• Advertisement

Nobody ever calls a woman who goes to spain a sexpat tbh :P

But I can name a few others countries where you could call them sexpats

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement