Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There was a very interesting interview on Matt Frei (LBC radio) this morning. He spoke to an Irish psychology teacher who is working in Wuhan College right now and has been living there for two years. If anyone wants to listen back......

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/matt-frei/coronavirus-outbreak-irish-man-trapped-wuhan/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I wouldn't discount the idea that the Chinese are grossly under-reporting the gravity of the situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

bmc58 wrote: »
    Anyone see the photo of a Chinese woman eating a dead bat sitting in a bowl of "soup"?Revolting .No wonder there is a new virus around when people eat that kind of dangerous "food"!!

saw that and an interview with mike baker on rogan in which at one point they discuss and source info on the fact bats are highly infected with up to 60 diseases including rabies, they showed a news feature of some poor dude who a bat just flew into his hand and he got very sick and died.
    check it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I work at the airport, so....................

*Buys medical gloves, masks, and a large vat of sanitizer*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

The spread of a deadly new virus is accelerating, Chinese President Xi Jinping warned, after holding a special government meeting on the Lunar New Year public holiday.

The country is facing a "grave situation" Mr Xi told senior officials, according to state television.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51249208

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

There was a very interesting interview on Matt Frei (LBC radio) this morning. He spoke to an Irish psychology teacher who is working in Wuhan College right now and has been living there for two years. If anyone wants to listen back......

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/matt-frei/coronavirus-outbreak-irish-man-trapped-wuhan/

Hmmmm, I'd be curious about whehter or not he is still employed afterwards. You know, nothing happens in China without an official giving the go ahead, and if it does then it can have a negative reaction.

My posts are probably coming across as melodramatic, but China is like a technologically advanced USSR during the cold war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Graces7 wrote: »
    If it were they would be doing it in secret; may well be but they are proud of their ability to build a hospital in 6 days.

You OK, Witchie? Look after yourself and stay home,

Was meant to be out tonight but stayed home. Am thinking of going out tomorrow night but am still a bit worried. I am still sneezing and coughing from the flu I am just getting over so probably not a good idea to go out or people will think I am infected and run away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My wife is from a village near Gong'an in Hubei province in China. One of her cousins sent her a picture of a truck dumping soil on main road out of the villiage. Apparently one person in the village got infected so the solution is to block all access troads with mountains of soil...
    As its the Chinese New Year there they will be fine for food for a while as they stock up for the holiday period but its a pretty crazy situation, hard to imagine happening here.
    Her friends in Wuhan, where she went to university, are saying its far worse than the press are letting on/or know about.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Hmmmm, I'd be curious about whehter or not he is still employed afterwards. You know, nothing happens in China without an official giving the go ahead, and if it does then it can have a negative reaction.

My posts are probably coming across as melodramatic, but China is like a technologically advanced USSR during the cold war.

"Nothing happens without an official giving a go ahead" All he did was confirm without any motivation that the Chinese government's shutdown of the city is working. People aren't travelling.

These threads are always gas. Why would he lose his job.. Because he spoke on the radio while living in China..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

"Nothing happens without an official giving a go ahead" All he did was confirm without any motivation that the Chinese government's shutdown of the city is working. People aren't travelling.

These threads are always gas. Why would he lose his job.. Because he spoke on the radio while living in China..

Yes, absolutely. There's been a good few youtubers who have had their visa revoked because they are making videos about china and, in fairness, was asked to stop.

You can get fired for mentioning Taiwan in a lesson btw :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Yes, absolutely. There's been a good few youtubers who have had their visa revoked because they are making videos about china and, in fairness, was asked to stop.

Yes, I know of a language teacher who had to make a public apology to his students and the assembled staff at the university where he was teaching for having (unwittingly) put up a map of Asia which showed Taiwan in a different colour to China. I don't think it was even a paper map, just a video projection.

He very nearly lost his job over it.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Interesting interview. He says they knew about market since before Christmas and he is wearing swim goggles as people getting infected through eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

China building an infectious disease hospital for 1000 people in 6 days and a second for 1300 soon.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51245156

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

bought a bunch of face masks and stuff today. I know people probably think its crazy but if just one case is mentioned in Ireland, were ****ed.

The HSE have people on trolleys on good days. I recon it will be called soon by the CDC as an international problem since its in France and USA.

I went to 5 pharmacies today and only 1 had face masks and I bought almost all they had (10). The second said their supplier is sold out and the last one said a number of people came in looking for them.

It's going to be like the milk and bread during the winter snow. You know RTE will only announce it at the last minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

China building an infectious disease hospital for 1000 people in 6 days and a second for 1300 soon.

We could get them to finish the Children's hospital!

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

bought a bunch of face masks and stuff today. I know people probably think its crazy but if just one case is mentioned in Ireland, were ****ed.

The HSE have people on trolleys on good days. I recon it will be called soon by the CDC as an international problem since its in France and USA.

I went to 5 pharmacies today and only 1 had face masks and I bought almost all they had (10). The second said their supplier is sold out and the last one said a number of people came in looking for them.

It's going to be like the milk and bread during the winter snow. You know RTE will only announce it at the last minute.

I bet you're a conspiracy nut as well?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'm a firm believer that we should wear masks out of respect during flu season anyway

NIMAN wrote: »
    I bet you're a conspiracy nut as well?

Tell me first how much you want to bet?

Tell me first how much you want to bet?

What are we betting on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

They said it could also be spread via the eyes.

Do you think bat stew is a bit risky for dinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Do you think bat stew is a bit risky for dinner?

I prefer potato and leek.
    The don't know what animal it came from yet.
    When ever I go to Asia, I go usually go vegetarian, depending on the hygiene standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Wewill be going round in sunglasses in the middle of winter with face masks to finish off

I suppose people will for the moment no longer order stuff online from China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

We don't know how virulent the pathogen is. Comparing the data and mirroring it with Sers/ Mers is questionable. That's a comparison based on the number of infected and dead, the China state media is revealing, and maybe untrue? 

We actually do have quite a bit of data as there are many Universities and virology experts actively mapping. The R0 of nCov was rated at 3.8 a couple of days ago, but this has been revised downwards to 2.5. Very scary numbers, but the next few days will give more accurate stats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 iCareNotOneJot

The Chinese are building a new hospital in a week !

HSE take note

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

By the way the numbers of people getting the virus, they will need a few of those hospitals in a few days, it is rapidly climbing, and some think that the true numbers may not be coming out or published

HSE take note

That's not a hospital in the usual meaning of the word. There won't be any MRI or PET scanners. There will probably be a crematorium, however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Was talking to someone in the north of the country and they said they are all Staying indoors.
    Not going to work either, all told to stay indoors unless necessary.
    Many cases up there also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

This Is How China Is Hiding The True Number Of Coronavirus Deaths | Zero Hedge
    https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/how-china-hiding-true-number-coronavirus-deaths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

XsApollo wrote: »
    Was talking to someone in the north of the country and they said they are all Staying indoors.
    Not going to work either, all told to stay indoors unless necessary.
    Many cases up there also.

Don't blame them, Larne is a kip.

The usual hyperbole from people with little idea of what it's like to live or teach in Mainland China. I've taught there for over a decade, in both private and public schools/universities.

I've spoken about Taiwan, Tibet, etc in classes without losing my job, or receiving any warnings. I have been called up to speak to their "morality department" whose role is to protect the minds of the students, but that was for discussing contraceptives & sex in a class. Right now, it's not a good idea to be "open" simply because of the desire to return China to being a more moral and traditional society.

It entirely depends on the type of institution, and how political they are. Any foreigner living in China knows that they should moderate their speech, and to avoid political subjects.. It's just easier, because few Chinese people will accept your opinion or knowledge on the subject, which will be seen as a result of western propaganda. It's generally a requirement for any foreigner wanting to stay here long-term to be aware of the social and political changes that happen. It's the foreigners who come for a "gap" year with a chip on their shoulder, putting down China, who tend to receive any condemnation or criticism.. and it's usually deserved. I've noticed that foreigners who talk politics in China tend to be rather ignorant of Chinese history, or have a very shallow understanding of the culture... Just throwing around western logic or morality on a very different situation.

As for making videos/Youtube, the government has issues with anything made official. You can say a lot of things here, but recording anything negative is a "no no". It's common knowledge.

As for the virus, I left China on Wednesday night. Not one inspection for the disease. I flew from Xi'an to Istanbul to Dublin. Not one single check for temperature or any other measure. I've head similar points from friends who flew to other European airports.

Frankly, I'm not surprised the virus has spread. I was amazed at the lack of precautions TBH.

As for the virus, I left China on Wednesday night. Not one inspection for the disease. I flew from Xi'an to Istanbul to Dublin. Not one single check for temperature or any other measure. I've head similar points from friends who flew to other European airports.

Frankly, I'm not surprised the virus has spread. I was amazed at the lack of precautions TBH.

So I'll ask, how you feeling?;)

HSE take note

They are building a hospital made up of portacabins in a field.

I don't think Irish people would settle for hospitals like that.

NIMAN wrote: »
    So I'll ask, how you feeling?;)

Just grand. Thanks. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

HSE take note

I can't help thinking in the Ireland of 40 or 50 years ago with no heavy safety regulations and little or no planning needed that a bunch of lads here could have done similar...

_110638789_059409238-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7927747/Asian-man-dips-baby-mouse-bowl-sauce-eating-ALIVE.html

They deserve everything they get if this is what they do. eating live mice and bat soup.
    Madness.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7927747/Asian-man-dips-baby-mouse-bowl-sauce-eating-ALIVE.html

They deserve everything they get if this is what they do. eating live mice and bat soup.
    Madness.

For a start, the daily-mail is a mouth-piece of horse-****.

You need to be very careful of videos like this.

Read about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepfake

Its almost 100% certain that that clip and the one of the girls and the bat is fake.

Just take it all with a massive pinch of salt.

Madness.

You can find plenty of weird dishes in many countries, especially in Asia. Notice that it's a banned dish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Madness.

I like a nice chocolate mouse myself

Madness.

Nothing to do with eating mice. There is no known vector of virus transmission from mice to humans. The bats are a different ball game. Huge vector trajectory. After this outbreak I suspect that the Chinese will implement strict controls on eating bats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

For a start, the daily-mail is a mouth-piece of horse-****.

You need to be very careful of videos like this.

Read about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepfake

Its almost 100% certain that that clip and the one of the girls and the bat is fake.

Just take it all with a massive pinch of salt.

PC ALERT, it always a fake when it is the unpalatable truth. Its a well known fact that the Chinese will eat practically anything, these are the same barbarians that have Elephants and Rhinos plus a whole host of critically endangered wildlife on the verge of extinction because they think that they are aphrodisiacs. Dog and Cat are routinely consumed and they have an entire dog meat festival in Yulin, China dedicated to eating dogs. I have travelled throughout Asia extensively and grasshoppers, rats and all manner of creatures are consumed not just in China but also Vietnam and Thailand. In the Philippines they have a particularly vile dish known as Balut where they boil a duck egg with foetus inside and consume the chick from the egg, again backward stupidity leads them to think this has Viagra like properties.

It had long been flaged and predicted that the next mega Pandemic would emerge out of China due to massive population, disgusting food consumption habits and close proximity between humans and all manner of animals. Ebola emerged from eating Chimpanzees in Cameroon and HIV developed from both eating and having sex with Monkeys and Chimpanzees in the Congo basin.

If people had a bit of respect for animals and understand that some are for eating and just let others alone as nature intended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Watch "Do Chinese people really EAT DOGS?" on YouTube
    https://youtu.be/3I7oe3MKNF0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

The usual hyperbole from people with little idea of what it's like to live or teach in Mainland China. I've taught there for over a decade, in both private and public schools/universities.

I've spoken about Taiwan, Tibet, etc in classes without losing my job, or receiving any warnings. I have been called up to speak to their "morality department" whose role is to protect the minds of the students, but that was for discussing contraceptives & sex in a class. Right now, it's not a good idea to be "open" simply because of the desire to return China to being a more moral and traditional society.

It entirely depends on the type of institution, and how political they are. Any foreigner living in China knows that they should moderate their speech, and to avoid political subjects.. It's just easier, because few Chinese people will accept your opinion or knowledge on the subject, which will be seen as a result of western propaganda. It's generally a requirement for any foreigner wanting to stay here long-term to be aware of the social and political changes that happen. It's the foreigners who come for a "gap" year with a chip on their shoulder, putting down China, who tend to receive any condemnation or criticism.. and it's usually deserved. I've noticed that foreigners who talk politics in China tend to be rather ignorant of Chinese history, or have a very shallow understanding of the culture... Just throwing around western logic or morality on a very different situation.

As for making videos/Youtube, the government has issues with anything made official. You can say a lot of things here, but recording anything negative is a "no no". It's common knowledge.

I'd advise you to reread what you actually wrote .
    Haha you've absorbed a typical Chinese trait, saying that foreigners (those who you disagree with ) who have a strong opinion on China are wrong because they are ignorant or affected by western propaganda.

There are many foreigners in Asia who have lived there a long time who don't need to kowtow to their propaganda department. We know China very well and have strong opinions based on reality.

If you mention Taiwan and say 'the president of Taiwan ' you will be fired in China. The reality is the President of Taiwan , who is real and exists (Tsai Ying Wen) has just been voted in with a record number of votes for a second term ! This is the Kind of bull**** you have to put up with that but you'd rather claim that other foreigners in China are ignorant lol.

There's no such thing as western logic there is just logic.
    There is no such thing as western human rights just universal human rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

AllForIt wrote: »

I like a nice chocolate mouse myself

Diana was a proper goer :pac:

I'd bet big money that this n-Cov came from bats.

We are either doomed or not. What do you think?

China to me has played both sides of the coin, let them at it as long as they don't denigrate the regime, and the regime can make millions or trillions or whatever as a result.

Clever. Hope this Corona thing is not that bad. But sure who knows. Would you trust the Chinese Government to tell the world about the reality of this?

They really have to curtail bat soup and the feet of some animals etc. Anyway I speak from experience in Beijing a few years ago. Went with the flow but was starving. It all looked awful to my (cosseted in Ireland) palate, but there was bread of some sort. Grand.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement