Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

gozunda wrote: »

Geez, that link - The Irish Health care system is so depressing.

Spot the Irish hospital:

Limerick-hospital-vs-Perth-Childrens.jpg

Sorry for the OT post ... got triggered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

However, this news broke over 24 hours ago; can anyone shed light on what the delay might be? Much appreciated.
    The turnaround time for testing is 12-24 hours.

If samples were taken from the patients in the afternoon, they likely only reached the NVRL the following day via the hospital courier service.

Weekend testing is only performed by prior arrangement with the NVRL in emergency circumstances. The lab is not open for routine service at weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭jackboy

Does anybody here know what the testing timeline is?

These cases have been in Isolation at UHL since yesterday afternoon - my understanding was that testing takes between 6 to 8 hours with the new Test Kits.

However, this news broke over 24 hours ago; can anyone shed light on what the delay might be? Much appreciated.

They need to keep updating the public on this. Rumors are rampant in the locality that corona virus has been confirmed and staff have been told to cover up. 99% chance that rumors are nonsense but a small bit of communication is essential in these situations.

The turnaround time for testing is 12-24 hours.

If samples were taken from the patients in the afternoon, they likely only reached the NVRL the following day via the hospital courier service.

Weekend testing is only performed by prior arrangement with the NVRL in emergency circumstances. The lab is not open for routine service at weekends.

If this doesn't class as an emergency, it ought to.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

These cases have been in Isolation at UHL since yesterday afternoon - my understanding was that testing takes between 6 to 8 hours with the new Test Kits.

The election?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

There have been people in China with early symptoms showing up and being tested with it coming back negative. As they got worse they went back a few more days in a row and eventually showed as positive.

I would hope the delay in Ireland is because they are being extra careful and testing people in quarantine several times.

No idea if that's what the delay is, there really should be more info, too much info or premature statements could also lead to panic. It's a difficult balance.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Geez, that link - The Irish Health care system is so depressing.

Sorry for the OT post ... got triggered.

Doesn't matter what it looks like on the outside once there are good facilities and enough beds on the inside, unfortunately that is not the case :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,650 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

jackboy wrote: »
    They need to keep updating the public on this. Rumors are rampant in the locality that corona virus has been confirmed and staff have been told to cover up. 99% chance that rumors are nonsense but a small bit of communication is essential in these situations.

Yeah even if they just made an announcement that said cases have been given the all clear to reassure the general public instead of the policy of only 'confirmed cases.' Otherwise Ireland is going to be tagged a country full of paranoid hypochondriacs that think they have cov.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

cnocbui wrote: »
    If this doesn't class as an emergency, it ought to.

Absolutely.

The two female patients were admitted to the hospital on Friday morning with flu-like symptoms after they had together travelled to Ireland from China in recent days...

The third, a male patient, who also traveled to Ireland from China recently, presented at the hospital on Friday afternoon with similar symptoms.

That is well over 24 hours from the time of reporting.

Any update from the authorities would be welcome - perhaps they are double checking a false-Negative.

I would be concerned too that all three 'presented at the hospital'.

The HSE Guidelines Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) State "If you have been in mainland China in the past 14 days and feel unwell ‘Do not go to your GP’s surgery, ED or healthcare centre. Phone them first. This is so you do not accidentally put other people at risk.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Even if a positive result is found here there will probably be several agencies/Departments to be notified first. Perhaps a re-test of the samples to be sure too.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

saabsaab wrote: »
    Even if a positive result is found here there will probably be several agencies/Departments to be notified first. Perhaps a re-test of the samples to be sure too.
    Yes. Good point.

tuxy wrote: »
    Doesn't matter what it looks like on the outside once there are good facilities and enough beds on the inside, unfortunately that is not the case :(

I think they should have built a large modern hospital in Limerick to serve Cork, Limerick and Galway, rather than so many motorways. I think it does matter what it looks like on the outside. I have recently been on the inside and have no complaints in that regard, except there's clearly not enough to cope with the needs of the region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

People are scoffing at me but someone else is also buying up hygiene and safety equipment in the local shops. Got the last two disposable ffp3 masks on the shelves around here and the last sealed safety goggles. Noticed the 60%+ alcohol gels have all gone since I stocked up on them. Found some other masks online which I ordered but no idea how well they'll fit. [The ones I got are the same as ones I've used for DIY.] Glad of my decision to keep the old freezer in the garage when we got a new one.

UHL is generally terrible but I'd trust them to be strict about isolation protocols. They have a less gentle culture than most hospitals here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

only ... by prior arrangement... in emergency circumstances
    Eh?

Doctor, doctor, I think I'm going to break my leg on Saturday?

There's a lack of understanding here about the whole process of testing and diagnosis.

Sample transport, sample preparation, DNA extraction, Rt-PCR, result reporting. These things take time.

The laboratory's duty is first and foremost to the patient; confidentiality of their results which are then reported back to the hospital. The patients doctors will then isolate and treat them. If it's a matter of public concern, the appropriate services will be informed.

The public will be the last to know, and they should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Well this is just awful reading! From the interview with the doctor posted a few pages back!
    The most regretful thing to me was a pregnant woman from Huanggang. She was in very serious condition. Nearly 200,000 yuan (S$39,505) was spent after more than a week in the ICU. She was from the countryside, and the money for hospitalisation was borrowed from her relatives and friends. Her condition was improving after the use of Ecmo, and she was likely to survive. But her husband decided to give up. He cried for his decision. I wept too because I felt there was hope for her to be saved. The woman died after we gave up. And exactly the next day, the government announced a new policy that offers free treatment for all coronavirus-infected patients. I feel so sorry for that pregnant woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

WHO working with Youtube, Facebook etc to remove all "fake" videos/information and provide truth tellers channels to get the information out
    One could also read that as controlling the truth coming out by these small youtubers - who does that remind you of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Wow that sounds like the ending to the movie the mist

There's a lack of understanding here about the whole process of testing and diagnosis.

Sample transport, sample preparation, DNA extraction, Rt-PCR, result reporting. These things take time.

The laboratory's duty is first and foremost to the patient; confidentiality of their results which are then reported back to the hospital. The patients doctors will then isolate and treat them. If it's a matter of public concern, the appropriate services will be informed.

In the light of a probable pandemic I would have no doubt that it is!

Ficheall wrote:
    Doctor, doctor, I think I'm going to break my leg on Saturday?
    Well its a virus reference lab so no.

But if samples require testing at the NVRL that cannot wait until monday, when the lab is open for routine service, then they have to contract the lab so the scientists can process the specimens ASAP.

• Advertisement

I see millions going back to Shanghai as their work will open on Monday.

The public should be informed of these procedures. Some people will always panic but simple and honest communication is best to minimize rumors.

saabsaab wrote:
    In the light of a probable pandemic I would have no doubt that it is!
    The patients still have a right to their privacy. And have not yet been confirmed as having the virus.

The public arent owed hour by hour updates.

The patients still have a right to their privacy. And have not yet been confirmed as having the virus.

The public arent owed hour by hour updates.

No one is asking for their names. It is now more that 24 hours and as the public ultimately pay for these services they most definitely have the right.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I see millions going back to Shanghai as their work will open on Monday.

I got a tentative request for me to return to work. I refused outright. Safe working environment is in my contract. Then I was offered a raise. haha. nope. Move on, please.

I got a tentative request for me to return to work. I refused outright. Safe working environment is in my contract. Then I was offered a raise. haha. nope. Move on, please.

I can't see parents being happy with that, college kids might have to go back but stay in their dorms and wearing face masks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,337 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

saabsaab wrote: »
    No one is asking for their names. It is now more that 24 hours and as the public ultimately pay for these services they most definitely have the right.

Especially when one considers that with an outbreak like this the public are all potential patients.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Testing for the 2019-nCoV is undertaken at the National Virus Reference Laboratory in Dublin
    3. All samples will receive a seasonal respiratory virus panel and a 2019-nCoV specific RT-PCR
    4. Estimated turnaround time is 12 to 24 hours
    5. For same day results samples must arrive at the NVRL by 10am on weekdays 
    6. Weekend testing is ONLY by arrangement with the NVRL clinical scientist on call using the out of hours contact number as per the HPSC algorithm. The sample MUST arrive before 2 pm to get a result that day.

https://nvrl.ucd.ie/node/209

gozunda wrote:
    Testing for the 2019-nCoV is undertaken at the National Virus Reference Laboratory in Dublin
    Yes i know.
    I posted the same info a few posts back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,650 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Yes i know.
    I posted the same info a few posts back.

Do you work for the HSE by any chance :).

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Moomoomacshoe

People are scoffing at me but someone else is also buying up hygiene and safety equipment in the local shops. Got the last two disposable ffp3 masks on the shelves around here and the last sealed safety goggles. Noticed the 60%+ alcohol gels have all gone since I stocked up on them. Found some other masks online which I ordered but no idea how well they'll fit. [The ones I got are the same as ones I've used for DIY.] Glad of my decision to keep the old freezer in the garage when we got a new one.

UHL is generally terrible but I'd trust them to be strict about isolation protocols. They have a less gentle culture than most hospitals here.

All masks appear to be out of stock i cant seem to find any would you mind DM me where you ordered from? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

SARS mortality rate is 10% that does not change from country to country

So then why did it vary by country? Canada 250 cases, 17.1% mortality, Vietnam 63 cases, 7.1% mortality rate, Taiwan 346 cases , 10% mortality
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severe_acute_respiratory_syndrome

The average was ten percent, but varied considerably by country

All masks appear to be out of stock i cant seem to find any would you mind DM me where you ordered from? Thanks
    All gone now sorry.

This thread is going to make a winter snow thread look like a practice run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

VinLieger wrote: »
    Canada had 251 cases the US had 27 so not comparable when one had ten times the infections, also what were the demograohics of either group? Theres no point in trying to break these down by region as theres far too many variables.

China was 6.6 and Hong Kong was 17.

The posters claim was nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Five British people infected at French ski resort. From the Telegraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/02/08/coronavirus-uk-news-latest-virus-outbreak-china/
    Five British people have been diagnosed with coronavirus in France after being infected during a skiing holiday, the country's health minister has said.

The victims, one of whom is a child, were staying in the same ski resort chalet and were infected when one of the group came into contact with someone who had been in Singapore, Agnes Buzyn said this morning.

They are in a stable condition and being constantly monitored at an unnamed hospital in the eastern Haute-Savoie Alpine region of southeastern France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

wakka12 wrote: »
    So then why did it vary by country? Canada 250 cases, 17.1% mortality, Vietnam 63 cases, 7.1% mortality rate, Taiwan 346 cases , 10% mortality
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severe_acute_respiratory_syndrome

The average was ten percent, but varied considerably by country

No the mortality was 10%, breaking it down by region like you are trying to do is pointless as there are far too many variables to consider.

Do you work for the HSE by any chance .
    I do.

I dont mean to come across as dismissive or even a bit agressive.

My point is we all need to be patient. The public will be informed when they need to be. I know there's a lot of distrust with the HSE but when you or your loved one is sick its all we have.

I do.

I dont mean to come across as dismissive or even a bit agressive.

My point is we all need to be patient. The public will be informed when they need to be. I know there's a lot of distrust with the HSE but when you or your loved one is sick its all we have.

So radio silence from the HSE. Yet members of the HSE are on a message board discussing the issue and the procedures for dealing with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,337 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Five British people infected at French ski resort. From the Telegraph

I am reminded from the press conference earlier in this week when Interim Director of the Health Protection Surveillance Centre Dr John Cuddihy said the ability of the virus to transmit from person to person is limited.

<insert image of ostrich with head in sand here>

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This may turn out to be a major health crisis if the test labs aren't working on this today they ought to be.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I am reminded from the press conference earlier in this week when Interim Director of the Health Protection Surveillance Centre Dr John Cuddihy said the ability of the virus to transmit from person to person is limited.

<insert image of ostrich with head in sand here>
    This is technically true but meaningless. Almost everything is limited. If someone could infect everyone within 100km, it would still be "limited".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

I'm sure I read it here, but wasn't it mentioned by the HSE that they will not be making any comments unless they get a positive result?

So no news is good news, right?

Well someone must be making some kind of statements to the media because they were able to report that the test in Cork was negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭brick tamland

amor3 wrote: »
    I'm sure I read it here, but wasn't it mentioned by the HSE that they will not be making any comments unless they get a positive result?

So no news is good news, right?

Id imagine its much more likley to be just a couple of lads with the sniffles than anything more sinister. Here's hoping anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

So radio silence from the HSE. Yet members of the HSE are on a message board discussing the issue and the procedures for dealing with it.

The HSE is not the Politburo. She is just contextualising things as a private person.

Gynoid wrote: »
    The HSE is not the Politburo. She is just contextualising things as a private person.

Well it’s hardly appropriate. If the HSE said no comments I’m sure that includes message boards.

So, has an otherwise healthy person died from this? Is it just the people who would be likely to die from 'flu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

So, has an otherwise healthy person died from this? Is it just the people who would be likely to die from 'flu?

Does Dr Li count? Young, presumably healthy.... Don't hear too many young doctors dying of flu..

Yes, the doctor who reported it was the most high profile.

Statistically the following people are most at risk, according to the latest info I've read: Males over 40 (and especially over 60) with an existing health condition (eg diabetes).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement