Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

jackboy wrote: »
    So radio silence from the HSE. Yet members of the HSE are on a message board discussing the issue and the procedures for dealing with it.

Masterful observation. What's your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭saabsaab

So, has an otherwise healthy person died from this? Is it just the people who would be likely to die from 'flu?

No. Not just the usual cases as with flu, it seems in China to have killed otherwise healthy people too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,820 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yes, the doctor who reported it was the most high profile. Statistically the following people are most at risk, according to the latest info I've read: Males over 40 (and especially over 60) with an existing health condition (eg diabetes).

Smokers might also be at risk.
    That could also account for some of the correlation with males over 40, if that cohort are more likely to smoke also.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

https://www.forbes.com/sites/judystone/2019/12/12/how-prepared-are-we-for-the-next-pandemic-not-very-experts-show/

They have been forced to issue a statement. Will link in next post as I cannot manage this phone malarkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,399 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Well it’s hardly appropriate. If the HSE said no comments I’m sure that includes message boards.

No official HSE comments, the poster is commenting as a private citizen not an official HSE rep, get over yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Well it’s hardly appropriate. If the HSE said no comments I’m sure that includes message boards.

She isnt speaking for the HSE ffs she is a person who works for them but is not posting in an official capacity, do you really not understand this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I am reminded from the press conference earlier in this week when Interim Director of the Health Protection Surveillance Centre Dr John Cuddihy said the ability of the virus to transmit from person to person is limited.

<insert image of ostrich with head in sand here>

That would fit the definition of a limited spread. 5 people out of how ever many thousands were crammed into that ski resort isn't very many.

MadYaker wrote: »
    That would fit the definition of a limited spread. 5 people out of how ever many thousands were crammed into that ski resort isn't very many.

What virus is less limited in its spread person to person than cornovirus?
    At the moment it appears as infectious as cold or flu, maybe less infectious than norovirus, more infectious than SARS.

It was an absurd thing to say without qualifying what was meant by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭jackboy

She isnt speaking for the HSE ffs she is a person who works for them but is not posting in an official capacity, do you really not understand this?

Yes, that is the issue.

• Advertisement

Yes, that is the issue.

So private citizens are not allowed comment? Why are you commenting? Are you speaking for the organisation that you work for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,122 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

So, has an otherwise healthy person died from this? Is it just the people who would be likely to die from 'flu?

It would seem so:

Hong-Ling.jpg

One of the most worrying things to pop today was a German researcher saying Coronaviruses can last up to 9 days on surfaces. That might have relevance to people ordering stuff online.

The other worry is that one infected person on a cruise ship in Japan has lead to 62 people being infected so far. Japanese health officials say that an infected person can be infectious for days before exhibiting symptoms.

Yes, that is the issue.

No it isn't; this isn't China, in case that small detail has slipped by you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,485 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

So is there unofficially confirmed case in Ireland...? I can't see the post your talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

The HSE said they would only comment if there is a confirmed case. Where’s the issue?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

tuxy wrote: »
    There have been people in China with early symptoms showing up and being tested with it coming back negative. As they got worse they went back a few more days in a row and eventually showed as positive.

I would hope the delay in Ireland is because they are being extra careful and testing people in quarantine several times.

No idea if that's what the delay is, there really should be more info, too much info or premature statements could also lead to panic. It's a difficult balance.

It is a difficult balance, but the lack of information, not just here, but globally is fuelling misinformation and rumour on social media.

The numbers don't seem to be reported on the media anymore, anyone have the latest figures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    It is a difficult balance, but the lack of information, not just here, but globally is fuelling misinformation and rumour on social media.

The numbers don't seem to be reported on the media anymore, anyone have the latest figures?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I think the pertinent thing is that the poster isn't getting into the specifics of any case. Appropriately, they are talking about general procedures and protocols.
    Against that, it seems legitimate to ask why the HSE couldn't put a public face to speak in such terms but maybe it's hard to get airtime during a general election.

I am reminded of the time I received a letter from the HSE informing me I had been in contact on a holiday tour group with people who had contracted Legionaires Disease. I received the letter 3 weeks after the holiday by which time I was either safe or would have been dead \ obviously in need of serious medical attention, based on the incubation period of the disease. I am sure it would have been a great comfort to my next of kin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,891 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

It can infect otherwise healthy people but I read something to the effect that smokers may be more susceptible. Medical staff are warned to protect their eyes when treating patients.

Some previously healthy people have died from the coronavirus and smokers may be at higher risk, Ireland's chief medical officer Dr Tony Holohan has said.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/smokers-at-higher-risk-from-coronavirus-as-30-patients-here-are-tested-for-illness-38937423.html

Breakdown here from the BBC for China:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51214864

Yeah it can infect otherwise healthy people, I understand that, in that way it’s much the same as a cold or the flu, but what I’m asking is if ur fit and healthy what’s the chances of you ending up brown bread, going on the stats outside of China so far.

tom1ie wrote: »
    Yeah it can infect otherwise healthy people, I understand that, in that way it’s much the same as a cold or the flu, but what I’m asking is if ur fit and healthy what’s the chances of you ending up brown bread, going on the stats outside of China so far.

The overall cfr seems to be around 2%, but I've had no luck in getting a breakdown of that figure.

I'd like to know the cfr in the >65 group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Let's say you were young and healthy and your body was responding well to fighting the virus.
    How long would recovery time be expected to be?
    I see the recovery numbers are not climbing fast, so it would be a few weeks recovery time for most?

You probably have a very high chance of survival if (a) you receive hospital treatment such as ventilation and (b) you are not exposed to a high dose of the virus.

In China, it looks like people are dying because the medical facilities are overloaded and it looks like medical staff are dying because they are being exposed to so much of the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

You probably have a very high chance of survival if (a) you receive hospital treatment such as ventilation and (b) you are not exposed to a high dose of the virus.

In China, it looks like people are dying because the medical facilities are overloaded and it looks like medical staff are dying because they are being exposed to so much of the virus.

A high dose of the virus? Is it like radiation exposure or what?

Worrying details in link below. In the outbreak scenario front line staff will be at great risk.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/08/world/asia/coronavirus-china.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Irish experts are saying it’s a matter of days before we have a case here.

hurikane wrote: »

Yes. Initial exposure to a greater amount of virus influences the outcome.

Have the HSE made it clear that you should not show up at a busy A&E if you suspect you may have been exposed and are starting to show symptoms?
    It looks like the NHS have done a good job getting this message out and have a number to call for advice.

All due respect but that’s just your opinion.
    We need concrete, globally agreed stats on how infectious this disease is, the mortality rate and what demographics are most at risk.
    Otherwise we are just guessing.
    Tbh I’m erring on the side of caution and getting extra supplies in so I don’t have to que up with the public if panic buying does set in like it has in Singapore.
    Might be something to consider.

hurikane wrote: »

I guess they mean if say you were in the same room as an infected person for a minute you may have only received a small number of viruses but say you were in close contact for a few hours with an infected person you would have received a very large number of viruses and your system would find it hard to deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Just on Virgin Media News 8pm that it will be in Ireland within days.

All due respect but that’s just your opinion.
    We need concrete, globally agreed stats on how infectious this disease is, the mortality rate and what demographics are most at risk.
    Otherwise we are just guessing.
    Tbh I’m erring on the side of caution and getting extra supplies in so I don’t have to que up with the public if panic buying does set in like it has in Singapore.
    Might be something to consider.

As of now that is not available so the best is informed guessing. These accurate stats will be available when it is all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Statistically the following people are most at risk, according to the latest info I've read: Males over 40 (and especially over 60) with an existing health condition (eg diabetes).

Yeah, diabetes and other immune diseases (Type 2 Diabetes aswell?). You don't fight off flu very well. I got Swine Flu twice the year that was the big bad.

You likely won't even need hospital treatment. Most of the people who get the virus don't end up in hospital, they have symptoms for a few days and they get better. This is the most likely outcome if you're not an at risk person (old, new born, sick etc)

In China people who think they have the virus are are panicking, presenting at hospital and overloading the infrastructure. Most of these people have some other sickness like a common cold or some other virus as the symptoms are similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

jackboy wrote:
    So radio silence from the HSE. Yet members of the HSE are on a message board discussing the issue and the procedures for dealing with it.
    I haven't provided any information here that isn't already available to the public.

The HSE haven't remained silent. They have all relevant information for the public on their website.

You can also read about the relevant testing performed by the NVRL on their website, which another person here also posted.

saabsaab wrote: »
    As of now that is not available so the best is informed guessing. These accurate stats will be available when it is all over.

So what’s the best course of action?
    Prepare for the worst and hope for the best?

khalessi wrote: »

What's the shipping time? Is there a tracking number I can follow?

The best course of action is just get on with your life and stop worrying about this. We'll probably have a case or two here at some stage but it's not the end of the world ffs. If you want info get it from the HSE or the WHO, not social media or anywhere else.

Yet the slippers I ordered 3 weeks ago are still in a sorting facility in Beijing:mad:

I guess at this point is to limit exposure to the public especially in cities. If you have to i.e. face to face then get hand gels and stay back or wear a mask.

• Advertisement

The best course of action is just get on with your life and stop worrying about this. We'll probably have a case or two here at some stage but it's not the end of the world ffs. If you want info get it from the HSE or the WHO, not social media or anywhere else.

Jaysus chill the fcuk out! I’m not worried about it I’m merely taking it into consideration and taking a possible course of action.
    Hope I’m not upsetting you too much by asking a couple of questions!! Ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

You likely won't even need hospital treatment. Most of the people who get the virus don't end up in hospital, they have symptoms for a few days and they get better. This is the most likely outcome if you're not an at risk person (old, new born, sick etc)

In China people who think they have the virus are are panicking, presenting at hospital and overloading the infrastructure. Most of these people have some other sickness like a common cold or some other virus as the symptoms are similar.

The longer this goes on without a sudden increase in cases or an increase in people presenting to hospitals with pneumonia all around the world, the more likely this scenario seems to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

I hear the spread of the coronavirus is slowing down. In a few weeks everyone will have forgotten about it. What a total fake!

cnocbui wrote: »
    It would seem so:

One of the most worrying things to pop today was a German researcher saying Coronaviruses can last up to 9 days on surfaces. That might have relevance to people ordering stuff online.

The other worry is that one infected person on a cruise ship in Japan has lead to 62 people being infected so far. Japanese health officials say that an infected person can be infectious for days before exhibiting symptoms.

Maybe in pitch darkness and perfect conditions a virus could maybe survive for that long (in that german mans lab no doubt). UV radiation (sunlight) breaks down the viruses genetic material and kills them pretty quick. Most transmissions are through direct physical contant or someone coughing / sneezing on you and you breath that in etc. You'd be unlucky to get it off a door handle or whatever but it is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

It was reported that there were 15 suspected cases before Friday. On Friday three suspected cases were identified at UHL. So it looks like we have at least 18 suspected cases. I reckon at least some of them will be confirmed. I think it is already here.

My wife is doing the count tomorrow. Probably best if I lock her in the shed for two weeks when she comes home. Probably illegal though.

leavingirl wrote: »
    I hear the spread of the coronavirus is slowing down. In a few weeks everyone will have forgotten about it. What a total fake!

I hope you are right but another site says 65M dead before this ends!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

It was reported that there were 15 suspected cases before Friday. On Friday three suspected cases were identified at UHL. So it looks like we have at least 18 suspected cases. I reckon at least some of them will be confirmed. I think it is already here.

My wife is doing the count tomorrow. Probably best if I lock her in the shed for two weeks when she comes home. Probably illegal though.
    You have absolutely to worry about. This is a non story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 lolanacho

So the HSE is implying every person in Ireland should rely on the internet while the main TV Channel in the country keeps quiet about Coronavirus in Ireland until virtually one day before the elections.
    Tell that to a huge generation of old people who haven’t a clue how to use a computer.
    Brilliant!

The count?

• Advertisement

saabsaab wrote: »
    The count?

Election?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement