Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,485 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

tuxy wrote: »
    What is the actual reason for them doing that?
    Are they doing it to infected that are self isolating correctly?

I dunno...this isn't the flu..there going door to door...

https://twitter.com/NatShupe/status/1225887958873464832?s=20

https://twitter.com/howroute/status/1225962215691497472?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

tuxy wrote: »
    Let's say you were young and healthy and your body was responding well to fighting the virus.
    How long would recovery time be expected to be?
    I see the recovery numbers are not climbing fast, so it would be a few weeks recovery time for most?

It seems in most cases three weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

wakka12 wrote: »
    This is silly,'a fake', hundreds of people are dead and thousands of others fighting for their life in hospital
    Fake because it didnt affect you in Ireland?

I wouldn't believe much of what the CDC tells me or many if the other official bodies given their track record of lies.

What's the percentage of the Chinese population that has allegedly died from the coronavirus?

Is this normal for a flu, it can travel through water pipes..??

Another video, these people are cut off from food and fresh water now (because the virus can travel through pipelines, or so chinese officials claim)

https://twitter.com/IsChinar/status/1226239785045577729?s=20

2,500 die in road accident every day in China. Just for perspective.

Social media panic, is my feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The welding of doors, quarantining of 400M people. There’s no way the official numbers are true. No government would do all that for 35k infections and 725 deaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Is this normal for a flu, it can travel through water pipes..??

Another video, these people are cut off from food and fresh water now (because the virus can travel through pipelines, or so chinese officials claim)

https://twitter.com/IsChinar/status/1226239785045577729?s=20
    The only way it would travel through water pipes is if the source was infected. Maybe it is. Don't see it happening here either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Get off twitter for your own sake ffs. You have no idea what those videos actually show, or where they are. I would say its certain that the chinese aren't being straight with numbers though.

Who has doors that can be welded?
    People with metal doors.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    The welding of doors, quarantining of 400M people. There’s no way the official numbers are true. No government would do all that for 35k infections and 725 deaths.

Fun you choose to believe former and not latter

People with metal doors.

Who you know has metal doors?

The only way it would travel through water pipes is if the source was infected. Maybe it is. Don't see it happening here either way.

How do you infect water with a travelling virus, would it be more of a biological weapon than a normal virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Do people really watch a 5 second video on twitter and instantly take the caption below as fact? How can any of that be verified?

• Advertisement

They can't be if that video above about the body burning is real, there burning about 1000 a day..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,122 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My external doors are all aluminium.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Do people really watch a 5 second video on twitter and instantly take the caption below as fact? How can any of that be verified?

So what's with the big smoke trucks...

cnocbui wrote: »
    My external doors are all aluminium.

So can't be welded

Nuts

That reminds me of the British Horror film Containment, in which the residents of a tower block in the UK find themselves quarantined then exterminated.

• Advertisement

When was the last time a car crash in China killed people in other countries and caused an increase in crashes around the world??

So can't be welded

Are you serious?

So can't be welded
    Why could you not weld aluminium?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

Very common in China.

How do you infect water with a travelling virus, would it be more of a biological weapon than a normal virus.
    I don't know as I haven't studied how to perform terrorist attacks. But it is possible for drinking water to be contaminated. But it would be at the source and not travelling from one person's house to the next or anything like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,730 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I don't know as I haven't studied how to perform terrorist attacks. But it is possible for drinking water to be contaminated.

You haven't watched enough terrorist movies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just looked at the current RTE report on Coronavirus and apart from the main story of five British being infected at the French ski resort no update on the unconfirmed cases. https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/0208/1113962-coronavirus/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

2,147 new cases and 81 new deaths
    New infections definitely slowing down. Unsurprising really, dont see how such strict quarantine couldnt have hugely slowed it down

New infections definitely slowing down. Unsurprising really, dont see how such strict quarantine couldnt have hugely slowed it down

What your missing is only confirmed cases are being reported. So plenty of dead people being cremiated quickly but they weren't confirmed as infected so there not getting counted. Hence the true number is fudged.
    This guy puts it at 50,000 burned.

https://twitter.com/Yurisabella1/status/1226269072821645313?s=20

Popeleo wrote: »
    Very common in China.

The door to my apartment has a reinforced metal door. Quite heavy, and has multiple bolt locks. As you said, quite common in China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Denial, anger, bargaining, grief and acceptance.

So what's with the big smoke trucks...

Who knows? Who even knows when it was filmed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

First things first the Chinese people are among the smartest people on this earth.

The United States has 300 million people or so China has 1.3 billion.

China has 3rd world conditions for some and ultra modern cities for others China is vast.

bab3071b5f24a146af315fe2e7519640_XL.jpg

Think about the United States has hillbillies trailer trash ethnic ghettos along with some of the most impressive achievements in human history China is much the same with five times the population.

Now we have a virus and common sense would say we should have stopped the spread by stopping travel to and from China as that is where the virus started but some called that racist.:rolleyes:

Anyway the thing is out now and anybody can catch and spread the thing the only way to avoid risk is to lock yourself in a room with loads of water and food and keep every fecker away from you.

I do not agree with panic nor to I agree with being complacent.
    This thing will could be the end for many of us or it could end as fast as it starts who knows.

One I will say is the Irish Government is not going to save us.

The figure is 701 a day.

Who knows? Who even knows when it was filmed?

Yesterday it was live on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

Or more likely no resources to test the new cases? It is not expected to peak until at least the April (China) and the rest of the world a few months later.

While we are all worrying about ourselves, my heart goes out to the people dealing with what looks like a modern day apocalypse.

FFS. I swear people online have some weird ideas about China.

IF the numbers of people infected/dying were as high as you people seem to want, then the news wouldn't be able to be contained. The Chinese firewall is easily bypassed. Chinese Social media apps are accessible outside of China, and often aren't monitored by government agencies, except for certain high profile sites.

I'm on Chinese social media, and I've been following the posts put up by colleagues, friends and students. If the virus, and it's effects were as common as you want it to be, then there would be far more videos from people I know (since Chinese students video & share almost everything).. but there aren't. Plenty of reports of government negligence, and complaints about their behavior in general, but not the mass panic that would arise from such an outbreak.

Is the Chinese government fudging numbers? Definitely. I have no idea by how much... and I'm not going to go around shouting random numbers just to sensationalise it. Which I find many on this thread seem to want to do.

IF the numbers of people infected/dying were as high as you people seem to want, then the news wouldn't be able to be contained. The Chinese firewall is easily bypassed. Chinese Social media apps are accessible outside of China, and often aren't monitored by government agencies, except for certain high profile sites.

I'm on Chinese social media, and I've been following the posts put up by colleagues, friends and students. If the virus, and it's effects were as common as you want it to be, then there would be far more videos from people I know (since Chinese students video & share almost everything).. but there aren't. Plenty of reports of government negligence, and complaints about their behavior in general, but not the mass panic that would arise from such an outbreak.

Is the Chinese government fudging numbers? Definitely. I have no idea by how much... and I'm not going to go around shouting random numbers just to sensationalise it. Which I find many on this thread seem to want to do.

You cannot blame people for speculation.

Here is a novel idea why don't Governments just be open and tell the truth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,820 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

2,500 die in road accident every day in China. Just for perspective. Social media panic, is my feeling.

China is run by an authoritarian regime. They are not accountable to voters. They don't give two hoots about social media panic.

They quarantined a province of 11 million people because they know the real number of people dying, they know the medical facilities in that province are overwhelmed and their stock of essential PPEs are exhausted.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

You’ve quoted my post. Now can you tell me where in my post I’ve mentioned any numbers.

And you contradict yourself in your last paragraph by saying that numbers are fudged, but you have no idea as to how much.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Source?

wellwhynot wrote: »
    Or more likely no resources to test the new cases? It is not expected to peak until at least the April (China) and the rest of the world a few months later.

While we are all worrying about ourselves, my heart goes out to the people dealing with what looks like a modern day apocalypse.

Well there were a couple days there where over 3000 were being confirmed daily so I assume its just slowed down unless theyve inexplicably become even less capable of testing numbers this large

gozunda wrote: »
    Source?

B7mxN.jpg

gozunda wrote: »
    Source?

Released at 10pm everyday on BNO news

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

:)
    odyssey06 wrote: »
    China is run by an authoritarian regime. They are not accountable to voters. They don't give two hoots about social media panic.

They quarantined a province of 11 million people because they know the real number of people dying, they know the medical facilities in that province are overwhelmed and their stock of essential PPEs are exhausted.

They are accountable to 1/6 billion people and a locally run police force/government.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 macapaca

Released at 10pm everyday on BNO news

...give it another hour or two and there'll be about 600 or so added to today's tally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

The lancet report estimates on the 25th Jan, 150,000 infected doubling time 6 days. That study was updated accordingly, we are probably in the region of 1.2m infected and close to 40k dead.

The report is based on their own models, and they are not doomsdayers or to be taken with a grain of salt.

Burying your head in the sand is not making things any better - your chinese friends have also been told they would face the death penalty for posting video "intended to cause panic" or in other words showing what is going on. so I can auume accordingly, not many will be posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 macapaca

:)

They are accountable to 1/6 billion people and a locally run police force/government.

Tell that to people run over by tanks in Tiananmen Square and more recently the citizens of Hong Kong.

macapaca wrote: »
    Tell that to people run over by tanks in Tiananmen Square and more recently the citizens of Hong Kong.

I really like the Chinese people but I really hate their government.

DcamiTWXkAAJbWZ.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement