Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Gynoid wrote: »
    So far I am not worried, because what is the point. But I have become quite conscious of just how many surfaces I touch that have probably recently been touched by many others. Unless I finally sucçumb to my living in a space suit fantasy, and everyone else joins in, I conclude we are all gonna die.

Agree...live your life one day at a time
    However it's the lack of personal hygiene that gets me.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

I had heard that this thing is adapted for cold/dry climate and that it should hinder dramatically in China when their hot season comes in but if it's spreading in Singapore right now, that hope is fecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Seventh patient in Singapore now critical out of total 45 confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Flying out to a ski resort in France the weekend, hearing about 4 britons who contracted the virus in a nearby resort has dampened my excitement somewhat :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

wakka12 wrote: »

That's worrying. Iv'e heard the official numbers coming out of China may be claptrap this would lead me to believe that to be true.

• Advertisement

GooglePlus wrote: »
    I had heard that this thing is adapted for cold/dry climate and that it should hinder dramatically in China when their hot season comes in but if it's spreading in Singapore right now, that hope is fecked.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058047651/348/#post112488840
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-30/is-there-a-lower-incidence-of-cold-and-flu-infections-in-tropics/10381902
    Probably want to be in a hot desert right now with no air conditioning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,122 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

So far I am not worried, because what is the point. But I have become quite conscious of just how many surfaces I touch that have probably recently been touched by many others. Unless I finally sucçumb to my living in a space suit fantasy, and everyone else joins in, I conclude we are all gonna die.

Presumably at least 85% of people recover, so no, we aren't all going to die. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

the numbers make sense, 1 out of 5 on average dies. At least so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,122 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Steve F wrote: »
    "Hand washing is essential during this outbreak"

God help us all if that's the case...my experience of my fellow human beings...I would elaborate but its approaching lunchtime....Errrghh!!

Do people not understand what an airborne virus means? I'm not having a go at you, but unfortunately just washing hands may not cut it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

cnocbui wrote: »
    Presumably at least 85% of people recover, so no, we aren't all going to die. :rolleyes:

It was a joke :) Obviously not a great one.
    But now you are telling me 15% of us are all gonna die......AAaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

• Advertisement

It was a joke :) Obviously not a great one.
    But now you are telling me 15% of us are all gonna die......AAaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

more likely 20% so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    more likely 20% so far

Oh I was so tempted to make a bold Greta joke, but look at how good I am being!

Anyways, I hope to goodness this is not the invisible foe that does for us.

Chatting about vaping at bias here and one of the guys mentioned the virus. That big cloud of vape that you all hate is actually a visual representation of what your breath is always doing. Ain't escaping that easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Unless it starts to die back soon i.e. in the next 2 months this is starting to look like the predicted 'big one' like 1918/19 flue pandemic. No good news on this really yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

cnocbui wrote: »
    Do people not understand what an airborne virus means? I'm not having a go at you, but unfortunately just washing hands may not cut it.

I know where you are coming from and yes I also know you are not having a go but lack of hand washing will accelerate the spread also if I am not mistaken :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

If the incubation period is longer than 14 days, it's going to be a cagey 2 weeks or so ahead of us.

saabsaab wrote: »
    Unless it starts to die back soon i.e. in the next 2 months this is starting to look like the predicted 'big one' like 1918/19 flue pandemic. No good news on this really yet.

the thing is, how is this going to die down? at the moment it's spreading and there is no cure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Chatting about vaping at bias here and one of the guys mentioned the virus. That big cloud of vape that you all hate is actually a visual representation of what your breath is always doing. Ain't escaping that easily.

What about farts, you can smell them on the other side of the gaff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

the thing is, how is this going to die down? at the moment it's spreading and there is no cure

Yet

saabsaab wrote: »

Yeh it really looked as though it was going to be contained by China there for a bit. But right now it appears as though it actually is a pretty nasty little bug and will become pandemic. Weird that it would be almost exactly 100 years since the last major pandemic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Dave0301

A GP practice in Brighton has been temporarily closed after a staff member tested positive for the coronavirus.

It is on BBC News now. That could very easily be passed on to any patients that have been into that practice and brought home afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Yet
    We won't find a cure because we don't generally find cures for viruses.

We probably will be able to vaccinate against it in the same sort of limited way that we can against flu.

I think there is a real possibility of profound change in society in response to this virus if it becomes as established as it looks like it might.

This keeps going through my head recently.

I didn't get that manbearpig was about climate change the first time they did it.

We won't find a cure because we don't generally find cures for viruses.

We probably will be able to vaccinate against it in the same sort of limited way that we can against flu.

I think there is a real possibility of profound change in society in response to this virus if it becomes as established as it looks like it might.

Sadly, that's what i'm expecting too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Dave0301 wrote: »
    A GP practice in Brighton has been temporarily closed after a staff member tested positive for the coronavirus.

It is on BBC News now. That could very easily be passed on to any patients that have been into that practice and brought home afterwards.

It's going to run rampant through the UK imo. Can't believe the lack of talk about it here in Ireland. It's not panic or tinfoil hat stuff when you look at the state of our health service here to be worried about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Are there any available statistics that show this is more potent or likely to lead to death then the regular flu?

What is the normal flu mortality rate v the corona virus? Since we can’t trust China’s figures I presume we don’t really know yet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

People are recovering from it as well - you're making it sound like anyone that gets it dies.

This applies to some of the ridiculous stuff being spouted by idiots in this thread:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51429400

Drumpot wrote: »
    Are there any available statistics that show this is more potent or likely to lead to death then the regular flu?

What is the normal flu mortality rate v the corona virus? Since we can’t trust China’s figures I presume we don’t really know yet....

Yes, seasonal flu 0.1%, coronavirus 2%. This has been the estimate for over a month now from a wide range of sources incl WHO and CDC so I assume it it based on the outcome of a large sample of patients over a relatively long period and takes other variable factors into account. It is theorised that the mortality rate may be inflated artificially by milder cases going unrecorded but it seems unlikely now as anyone with flu symptoms in China is obliged by law now to report to a hospital, and you need an ID card to buy cold medication.

There is a real time update available online that reports on total people infected, deaths and recovered people
    at the moment 80% of people have recovered and 20% died

• Advertisement

There is a real time update available online that reports on total people infected, deaths and recovered people

What? Both are wrong. Nowhere near 20% have died and nowhere near 80% have recovered.
    The vast majority of cases are still 'ongoing', neither recovered nor likely to die

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/
    In china, 40.1k cases, 3280 have recovered = 8%
    908 have died = 2.2%
    6450 experiencing severe complications =16%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Which virus is this referring to?
    It sounds like MERS but the fatality rate was a bit higher.

20%? That sounds innacurate or at least a statistic that’s missing a lot of information.

Does anybody have a link to a website with general information like statistics on infected and deaths outside of China? I think it’s fair to say that the statistics from China are very likely not accurate.

20%? That sounds innacurate or at least a statistic that’s missing a lot of information.

Does anybody have a link to a website with general information like statistics on infected and deaths outside of China? I think it’s fair to say that the statistics from China are very likely not accurate.

Tracks Chinese and international
    The sample size outside China is small with the majority of the cases being on a boat in Japan and confirmed within the last 48 hours

Can an ultraviolet disinfection lamp kill the new coronavirus?
    UV lamps should not be used to sterilize hands or other areas of skin as UV radiation can cause skin irritation.
    [I guess UV does kill it though or at least is not known not to or they would have phrased this differently.]

Is it safe to receive a letter or a package from China?
    Yes, it is safe. People receiving packages from China are not at risk of contracting the new coronavirus. From previous analysis, we know coronaviruses do not survive long on objects, such as letters or packages.

Can pets at home spread the new coronavirus (2019-nCoV)?
    At present, there is no evidence that companion animals/pets such as dogs or cats can be infected with the new coronavirus

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/myth-busters

What? Both are wrong. Nowhere near 20% have died and nowhere near 80% have recovered.
    The vast majority of cases are still 'ongoing', neither recovered nor likely to die

In china, 40.1k cases, 3280 have recovered = 8%
    908 have died = 2.2%
    6450 experiencing severe complications =16%

death rate = total death / (total death + recover)
    you can't include to the calculation the "ongoing" people as we dont know if they are going to die or recover
    So, the correct death rate so far is 20%

• Advertisement

you can't include to the calculation the "ongoing" people as we dont know if they are going to die or recover

But it is never actually calculated that way because death and recovery take different amounts of time. Of course the best wya to assess it is to take a large sample of early infections and calculate the outcome of all of them. I'm sure that is how the figure of around 2% has been arrived at

That's far from inaccurate. The data is pulled from the daily update on Death, Recoveries and total infected. The stat was pulled today

Tracks Chinese and international
    The sample size outside China is small with the majority of the cases being on a boat in Japan and confirmed within the last 48 hours

Only 1 death in 390 cases outside of China? Now wonder it’s not getting the kind of attention or concern a 2% virus would get. If or when those death rates increase, then we might see some real response. I guess it might be possibly if disease mutates or if death rates increase due to high numbers of infected and services being unable to look after them. That would explain why so few early infected have died (so far). Suppose time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Be quiet will you nobody wants your common sense.

All we want is everybody is doomed or sure it will be all grand.:D:P

On a serious note 20% death rate sounds bloody nasty and the UK has 8 or 9 confirmed cases now it is on our doorstep.:(

That's far from inaccurate. The data is pulled from the daily update on Death, Recoveries and total infected. The stat was pulled today

But it’s clearly not accurate, it doesn’t have all available information and as I said, China is an unreliable source. If that virus had a 20% kill rate the whole world would be shut down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Takes longer to declare someone "recovered" than "dead" so the recovery rate is rising more slowly than the death rate. If you look at deaths vs confirmed cases, it's around 2%.

Stark wrote: »
    Takes longer to declare someone "recovered" than "dead" so the recovery rate is rising more slowly than the death rate. If you look at deaths vs confirmed cases, it's around 2%.

Wouldn’t that suggest that the death rate will end up below 2% over time?

Seems to me like we are going to Have to wait a few weeks or months before we start getting an accurate picture of true mortality rates on this illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Stark wrote: »

To be honest I think it is way above 2% the Chinese Government is not known for its openness and honesty.

Nor is ours for that matter.

Be quiet will you nobody wants your common sense.

All we want is everybody is doomed or sure it will be all grand.:D:P

On a serious note 20% death rate sounds bloody nasty and the UK has 8 or 9 confirmed cases now it is on our doorstep.:(

Its just not 20% though. If there were 40,000 cases of a 20% mortality rate virus going around and 8 cases in UK now, dont think youd be going to work today, or any of us, normal life worldwide would stop

Look at how many people have a mild version compared to how many are critical.
    Unless this is unlike any other virus that we have ever encountered the majority of the people will be on their way to recovery.

The people that die often do so within 10 days of being diagnosed, the people that will recover will take 3 - 4 weeks.
    The recovery numbers are lagging way behind the death numbers.

This virus is barely even 2 months old yet.

But it is never actually calculated that way because death and recovery take different amounts of time. Of course the best wya to assess it is to take a large sample of early infections and calculate the outcome of all of them. I'm sure that is how the figure of around 2% has been arrived at

you are correct about analisying a large sample, that is the correct way to calculate the death rate. The sample at the moment is still small. There are about 4500 people who either died or recovered and the break down is 1 in 5

the 2% however was calculated as below, and that's a useless stat unfortunately
    Total death / Total infected = 2%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

tuxy wrote: »
    Unless this is unlike any other virus that we have ever encountered the majority of the people will be on their way to recovery.

The people that die often do so within 10 days of being diagnosed, the people that will recover will take 3 - 4 weeks.

This virus is note even 1 month old yet.

It's over 2 months since the outbreak started. The wide scale tracking is lagging behind though.

givyjoe wrote: »
    It's over 2 months since the outbreak started. The wide scale tracking is lagging behind though.

Yes edited, that was a mistake but I think the point still holds.

tuxy wrote: »

This virus is barely even 2 months old yet.

It was never in question whether 'we will all survive', it is how does worldwide health infrastructure potentially deal with a large percentage of it's population being hospitalised simultaneously in a pandemic scenario. The answer is not good, as you see in Wuhan. The scenario is unlike anything in encountered for a long time, hence the reactions worldwide from governements. There are way more recovered than seriously ill but up to 15% of patients experiencing severely compromised health is extremely significant

you are correct about analisying a large sample, that is the correct way to calculate the death rate. The sample at the moment is still small. There are about 4500 people who either died or recovered and the break down is 1 in 5

the 2% however was calculated as below, and that's a useless stat unfortunately
    Total death / Total infected = 2%

You need to also factor in information , how accurate is China’s information?

Then there is also a question of how much does governmental response , environment (weather, smog etc) and cultural (families/community’s closer) differences affect transmission. And of course medical access, how has this effected survival rates in China?

I really think every information discussed and quoted should have massive caveats. As I said, I think when we see how this affects people in comparable countries , only then can we be confident on these numbers. Mass numbers being infected is possibly a bigger issue then catching the virus itself.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement