Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

fritzelly wrote: »
    BA cancel all flights to Beijing and Shanghai

Should have happened weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,341 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

wakka12 wrote: »
    Actually this may not necessarily be true, you can face jail time in China now if you do not present yourself to a hospital once you experience any flu like symptoms. So it is in fact likely the vast majority of ncov cases are being recorded in China. Anyone buying cold/flu meds in pharmacies must show their ID and their name is recorded.

Hmm playing devils advocate such an approach might encourage people to stay underground if they can...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The only good thing to come out of this is that it has clearly demonstrated that the WHO are a total shambles and completely ineffective against a real crisis. Hopefully that will be immediately shut-down following this and replaced by a more "fit for purpose" body that has the proper expertise and know-how to identify and respond to risks as they arise.
    I think that's really unfair.

Firstly the WHO is underfunded. Significantly underfunded, it's not like they have thousands of doctors and epidemiologists on standby (which perhaps they should have).

Secondly, they need information and the CCP is not inclined to be forthcoming. Pissing off China would have done nothing, and they had to suck up a bit to get access.

Thirdly, the agreements before this called for travel restrictions to be avoided. I know all the armchair epidemiologists on the Internet have decided that travel restrictions are the simple answers to epidemics, but the scientific literature shows otherwise. We also know that panic and over-reaction causes economic devastation, which can be far more damaging to health than a virus. The WHO has to try and communicate this message while voters are clamouring for politicians to "do something".

Finally, the WHO yesterday have started trying to prepare the world for the reality that this will probably become relatively widespread. Governments are giving the impression that this will be contained, when the reality is it probably won't - but it will be managed and controlled. The world is on alert for outbreaks now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Hmm playing devils advocate such an approach might encourage people to stay underground if they can...

Might be hard for many to do that with their system of government and control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Should have happened weeks ago.

It did..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Just throw this out there - not sure how reliable NTD are but it's a good listen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Just throw this out there - not sure how reliable NTD are but it's a good listen
    Wikipedia says this is a Falun Gong run channel, so it's likely to be extremely unreliable. You have to be careful about posting propaganda.

hmmm wrote: »
    Wikipedia says this is a Falun Gong run channel, so it's likely to be extremely unreliable. You have to be careful about posting propaganda.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/ntd-tv-new-tang-dynasty/

Reuters have a complimentary piece on them too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

How to correctly calculate the mortality rate during an outbreak

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/#correct
    https://academic.oup.com/aje/article/162/5/479/82647

Both articles agrees on two points

Wrong formula
    CFR = deaths / cases

Correct formula
    CFR = deaths / (deaths + recovered)

Also correct but requires an estimation of time before death
    CFR = deaths at day.x / cases at day.x-{T}

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    How to correctly calculate the mortality rate during an outbreak

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/#correct
    https://academic.oup.com/aje/article/162/5/479/82647

Both articles agrees on two points

Wrong formula
    CFR = deaths / cases

Correct formula
    CFR = deaths / (deaths + recovered)

Also correct but requires an estimation of time before death
    CFR = deaths at day.x / cases at day.x-{T}
    It's very basic maths. Even your link says that your method assumes that the rate will be similar for those that remain in hospital. The fact that cases have exponentially increased recently means that it's incredibly likely to be an overestimate. It's basically proving that the rate lower than 20%, but not by how much as we don't have enough information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Moomoomacshoe

saabsaab wrote: »
    Best not to worry too much, just prepare, use precautions and avoid the public if you can. Hope our people responsible for public health protection are worried and taking any actions necessary to safeguard the island.

How do we prepare? Stupid question probably but masks for example, seem to be out of stock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The regular chart looks a strange, perhaps they've changed the counting criteria:

ZtXnWSf.png

There have been some recoveries, but hard to imagine it's more than a single daily new case amount, as it expands.
    Also Japan is showing up as 161 now (likely not including the cruise ship folks, that may be classed as 'others'.
    Once it gets into the 000's can perhaps assume you've lost control of it, for a good few months anyway.
    Singapore, HK, Thai, Sing also all over 25 each, fast approaching the 50mark.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

The Japan figure includes 135 from the cruise ship

Hopefully doesn't take hold in Tokyo but i wouldn't be confident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The regular chart looks a strange, perhaps they've changed the counting criteria:

ZtXnWSf.png

There have been some recoveries, but hard to imagine it's more than a single daily new case amount, as it expands.
    Also Japan is showing up as 161 now (likely not including the cruise ship folks, that may be classed as 'others'.
    Once it gets into the 000's can perhaps assume you've lost control of it, for a good few months anyway.
    Singapore, HK, Thai, Sing also all over 25 each, fast approaching the 50mark.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

That S-curve happens daily, as different Chinese provinces fake their figures at different times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Appears to be listed seperate on the map
    Japan 161 (4 recovered) & 135 for 'others', could well be an error or mix up.

// other news agencies say it's included.
    About 450 total global cases are outside of China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Thunderfoot has a good video on why it’s right to be concerned about this Coronavurus and why reasonable precautions are legitimate
    https://youtu.be/jEPi1KYanh4

Appears to be listed seperate on the map
    Japan 161 (4 recovered) & 135 for 'others', could well be an error or mix up.

// other news agencies say it's included.
    About 450 total global cases are outside of China.

Depends on where you're reading it - Japan do not include them in their official figures for the country, which makes sense

Brits now saying they will force people into quarantine if necessary.

hmmm wrote: »
    I think that's really unfair.

Firstly the WHO is underfunded. Significantly underfunded, it's not like they have thousands of doctors and epidemiologists on standby (which perhaps they should have).

Secondly, they need information and the CCP is not inclined to be forthcoming. Pissing off China would have done nothing, and they had to suck up a bit to get access.

Thirdly, the agreements before this called for travel restrictions to be avoided. I know all the armchair epidemiologists on the Internet have decided that travel restrictions are the simple answers to epidemics, but the scientific literature shows otherwise. We also know that panic and over-reaction causes economic devastation, which can be far more damaging to health than a virus. The WHO has to try and communicate this message while voters are clamouring for politicians to "do something".

Finally, the WHO yesterday have started trying to prepare the world for the reality that this will probably become relatively widespread. Governments are giving the impression that this will be contained, when the reality is it probably won't - but it will be managed and controlled. The world is on alert for outbreaks now.

You make some good points but the above is not true see quote.

'Travel restrictions were included in the WHO interim protocol: rapid operations to contain the initial emergence of pandemic influenza that was published in 2007 by the World Health Organization (WHO).1 However, as they would hamper global travel and trade, such restrictions are not recommended by WHO once the global spread of pandemic influenza is established.'

That is not the case this here.Makes sense to restrict travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

That makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

I'm not sure that this was posted previously, if so I apologize, but I didn't see it:

This appears to be a confirmed positive case.

A staff member of a GP Office in Brighton Area. The GP office is now closed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51447761

My brother lived in Brighton for a number of years. He commuted to London for work every day, a great deal of Brighton area residents do. The train service there to London is really good (I'm told - only used it myself a couple times when visiting from Ireland)

Extracts from Article:

A GP practice in Brighton has been temporarily closed after a staff member tested positive for coronavirus.

Patients at the city's County Oak medical centre have been advised to contact the NHS 111 phone service if they have concerns.

Two of the eight people diagnosed in the UK are understood to be GPs.

A school in Southampton has also closed over concerns about the virus.

St Mary's Independent School said the "precautionary" three-day closure came after "members of the school community" became ill, having recently travelled to China.

Two of the new cases are understood to be GPs - one of whom works at the County Oak medical centre.

A sign put up at the surgery said it had been closed "for extensive cleaning as a precautionary measure" and would be open as soon as possible, hopefully on Tuesday afternoon.

A British man has also been diagnosed with coronavirus in Majorca after coming into contact with a carrier in France.

Meanwhile, the Department of Health has introduced new measures in England that mean those in quarantine will not be free to leave their accommodation, and can be forcibly sent into isolation if they pose a threat.

marvin80 wrote: »
    That makes sense.

Human nature being what it is you can't just rely on people to do the right thing. People can do stupid and harmful things and compulsion is necessary at times.

That makes sense.

Absolutely. It's good news.

I wonder if we have similar legislation and capability to do same if needed...

Meanwhile this is NOT good news

https://youtu.be/6HCRmTHCUao

People still seem unwilling to accept how serious this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

That dick who tried to leave. Some of the people in there don’t seem to have a moral compass. I was wondering when they’d change the law though.

Any chance of a synopsis of that video.

I see from the comments people are going full panic mode - worse than this thread!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

I see from the comments people are going full panic mode - worse than this thread!!

I've only watched the first couple minutes, but I believe the BAD NEWS is that China have now reported that the virus can spread by Aerosilization. Can't imagine the rest of the video could gets worse than that. That's official reporting from China (per John - who has been prudent with his sources) so most likely accurate. If true that is a huge blow to any effort to contain this.

• Advertisement

Watch it and make your own mind up.

Panic isn't ideal but understandable. Preparation is key but all i see here in Ireland is stupid memes on Whatsapp that think the virus is something to laugh about, it's not. This is deadly serious and i stand by my earlier comments that it has the potential to collapse the world economy.

I've only watched the first couple minutes, but I believe the BAD NEWS is that China have now reported that the virus can spread by Aerosilization. Can't imagine the rest of the video could gets worse than that. That's official reporting from China (per John - who has been prudent with his sources) so most likely accurate. If true that is a huge blow to any effort to contain this.

Australian expert urges caution on that claim...
    https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/claims-coronavirus-can-spread-through-the-air

Scary if true. Means someone sneezes, droplets mix with air and stay airborne and can be inhaled by someone else... we might get lucky that the inhaled dose isnt strong enough to trigger infection.

Hopefully it's not. Here's a link saying its not:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/wuhan-virus-coronavirus-aerosol-transmission-moh-12418446

Watch it and make your own mind up.

Panic isn't ideal but understandable. Preparation is key but all i see here in Ireland is stupid memes on Whatsapp that think the virus is something to laugh about, it's not. This is deadly serious and i stand by my earlier comments that it has the potential to collapse the world economy.

I suppose for the likes of you and your hysteria it's a win-win situation.

If it does escalate as much as you think you can tell everyone you're right.
    If it doesn't you can say 'aren't you glad it didn't'.

What preparation should we be doing?

All I see in this thread is panic and hysteria over something the average person has no control over.

Hopefully it doesn't escalate but if it does - panic and hysteria will not help.

I suppose for the likes of you and your hysteria it's a win-win situation.

If it does escalate as much as you think you can tell everyone you're right.
    If it doesn't you can say 'aren't you glad it didn't'.

What preparation should we be doing?

All I see in this thread is panic and hysteria over something the average person has no control over.

Hopefully it doesn't escalate but if it does - panic and hysteria will not help.

I won't tell anyone im right.

Can you point out the panic and hysteria when you get the chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I wish people would stop dropping youtube clips and tweets into the thread.

Neither are usually credible sources and just cause panic.

I wish people would stop dropping youtube clips and tweets into the thread.

Neither are usually credible sources and just cause panic.

Are CNN credible?

https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-02-10-20-intl-hnk/index.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

How many confirmed that are now not included in confirmed?
    Another day of death increase and a big jump again in serious/critical
    Is that working out about a 5 increase every day in the reported deaths?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

It seems people are panicking about people panicking without evidence. It's a discussion thread, posting stuff (even some of the bat-**** crazy stuff that I'm not interested in) doesn't equate to panicking. I think we're all roughly of similar intelligence and can use our noggins.

• Advertisement

Its somewhat reassuring that it looks like the americans evacuated from Wuhan are negative after 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

So has the number of new cases from Hubei falling today? anyone have yesterday's figures or know the suspected figure for a comparative.

Also is anyone tracking daily movements (suspected/confirmed/serious etc) just looking for source if someone knows one. I have BNO on Twitter and Worldometer which I find useful

Thanks

So 5k less suspected today with only 2k confirmed.... does that mean 3k were falsely suspected?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Pretty amazing to see the effort the Chinese are making to disinfect the streets of Wuhan.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

How many confirmed that are now not included in confirmed?
    Another day of death increase and a big jump again in serious/critical
    Is that working out about a 5 increase every day in the reported deaths?

I read somewhere that patients which test positive but are asymtopic are not included in daily figures so im not sure if this results in delayed reporting.

I'd also like to see if that death rate begins to creep in provinces other that Hubei which have over 1000 patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Poor Dr John gets a little more depressed in every video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'm starting to really worry about this ...

Worry not Hector.

By the 7th of June Rafa will be picking up No 13 and all will be well with the world.

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Poor Dr John gets a little more depressed in every video.

Yeah a few posters on boards know more about this than a guy like Dr. John.

Maybe just maybe you know he's worried for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Yesterday’s death rate was 2.25%, today is 2.37%.

Doesn’t sound as if this is levelling off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I'm wondering what will close my work first snow or the coronavirus or both? How many times should you use one of those masks. For example the 3m ones?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement