Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Drumpot wrote: »
    This is a virus, its spreading around the world, its killing some people and we dont yet know the full extent of how it will impact us all. These are just facts, yet I feel silly for discussing it with people . . :o

It spread very fast on the Diamond Princess. At least 135 infected now.

It seems that people on board are left quarantined with very little medical care but all other needs are well taken care of.
    I know you can make the argument that this may be too late but in two weeks time we will have a good idea how the human body deals with this infection when not kept in horribly cramped, overcrowded conditions like in China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

wakka12 wrote: »
    Whats up with media personally naming the british 'super spreader', youd think he was doing it on purpose the way its being reported. Pictures of the guy up all over skynews..wtf?

He made public statements where he possibly did not ask to be kept anonymous.

He did everything correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

tuxy wrote: »

Yeh but just seems so oddly irrelevant for the media to post about his personal details

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Whats up with media personally naming the british 'super spreader', youd think he was doing it on purpose the way its being reported. Pictures of the guy up all over skynews..wtf?

Sky News are tripe

Could possibly be that they are hoping others might recognise being in contact with him even if they don’t know him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭brick tamland

As did his employer (he was away for work when contracting virus), clearly naming him. No issues at all

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Drumpot wrote: »
    Its funny cause I have started to discuss this with my wife and tried to send on the links of that Doctor to some friends and I feel like a Lune.

This is a virus, its spreading around the world, its killing some people and we dont yet know the full extent of how it will impact us all. These are just facts, yet I feel silly for discussing it with people . . :o

Yep. You run the risk of being a plonker /scare mongering if you do but negligent if you don’t.

Where is the line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Reading this thread is both enlightening and kind of terrifying.

There is probably an element of scaremongering and exaggeration going-on in the media, whilst other organisations are perhaps a bit too complacent. I sit somewhere in the middle, in that I realise it is a very real threat, but hope that it will not affect us to the extent to which it is affecting the Chinese. However, having read all the various information on here, I do believe that it is time for radical action/intervention. We are a small island, on the extremities of Europe, surely it should be easier to prevent an outbreak here compared to other countries. Would it be that alarmist for screening to be set-up at all ports/airports. And a reduction in traffic volumes passing through these facilities (particularly traffic from SE Asia) would seem obvious too. I know there are economic implications but, given the supposed severity of this case, restrictions would be justified..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

There is probably an element of scaremongering and exaggeration going-on in the media, whilst other organisations are perhaps a bit too complacent. I sit somewhere in the middle, in that I realise it is a very real threat, but hope that it will not affect us to the extent to which it is affecting the Chinese. However, having read all the various information on here, I do believe that it is time for radical action/intervention. We are a small island, on the extremities of Europe, surely it should be easier to prevent an outbreak here compared to other countries. Would it be that alarmist for screening to be set-up at all ports/airports. And a reduction in traffic volumes passing through these facilities (particularly traffic from SE Asia) would seem obvious too. I know there are economic implications but, given the supposed severity of this case, restrictions would be justified..

We dont have any direct flights from asia to ireland. you would have to quaratine massive amounts of people. a little early for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

...but hope that it will not affect us to the extent to which it is affecting the Chinese.

The number of affected people in China is 0.0028% of the total 1.5 billion Chinese people
    There are 5 milion in Ireland, with 140 cases we will be already on the same level as China

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Any update on that child recently returned from China? It's a disservice to the rest of us if it's parents haven't checked in with the department of public health as outlined in HSE guidelines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sometimes there are advantages to being an island off an island.

All makes one wonder just how many of these highly contagious virus have been transmitted within China
    down the generations but which never bothered the rest of us in the era before they opened up to the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Screen for what? People who are symptomatic?
    Can carry it for a month without having symptoms, which makes all the 2 week quarantines useless. People can test negative then positive.

How can you stop a virus like this?

Im surprised there isnt more news on the cases in Europe.
    How are the Germans doing?
    Anyone in Wirral develop symptoms?

It spread very fast on the Diamond Princess. At least 135 infected now.

It seems that people on board are left quarantined with very little medical care but all other needs are well taken care of.
    I know you can make the argument that this may be too late but in two weeks time we will have a good idea how the human body deals with this infection when not kept in horribly cramped, overcrowded conditions like in China.
    Nice little experiment they have going on there. Probabaly be able to pull some very useful data from it RE: coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

From the HSE

Interim Director of the Health Protection Surveillance Centre Dr John Cuddihy said the ability of the virus to transmit from person to person is limited.

He said there is no confirmed case in Ireland and people are extremely unlikely to catch the virus here.

I wonder will the HSE retract the above statement that we always knew to be incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Screen for what? People who are symptomatic? Yes
    Can carry it for a month without having symptoms, which makes all the 2 week quarantines useless. People can test negative then positive. Quarantine them for longer so - isn't that preferable than having the virus spread throughout the country. Short term pain (for those in quarantine) for the long term benefit of the country

How can you stop a virus like this? :confused:

Im surprised there isnt more news on the cases in Europe.
    How are the Germans doing?
    Anyone in Wirral develop symptoms?

What I'm suggesting is extreme but, as others have alluded to, if such extreme/draconian measures are what's needed to prevent an outbreak here, so be it. As for me, I'm off west to reinhabit the Blasket Islands until all this blows over :pac:

wellwhynot wrote: »
    From the HSE

Interim Director of the Health Protection Surveillance Centre Dr John Cuddihy said the ability of the virus to transmit from person to person is limited.

He said there is no confirmed case in Ireland and people are extremely unlikely to catch the virus here.

I wonder will the HSE retract the above statement that we always knew to be incorrect.
    Could you link to that? Many thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sometimes there are advantages to being an island off an island.
    As for me, I'm off west to reinhabit the Blasket Islands until all this blows over :pac:

Even better - an island off an island which is off an island (but take a gun just in case!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Paid content in The Guardian is clearly marked as such.Opinion pieces are also clearly indicated. The linked article is neither paid content nor an opinion piece.You disagree with ithe paper's position regarding vegetarianism and have stated they receive funding from a plant food group (or whatever the term is). You view the paper as pushing an agenda in that regard - which it does quite openly. It's normal for a paper to have political positions, and it does not undermine its quality of journalism. I would say that its stance on vegetarianism is of no relevance to the article.Anyway you're right that we shouldn't drag the thread off topic. I just wanted to give context to your assertion that the paper is not reliable as a source of information. (I completely disagree.)

Incorrect. to answer that - glad to see you agree they are 'agenda' driven btw. My criticism of the newspaper as a whole and across a whole range of their reporting - is that they declare their journalism to be impartial - however being paid to write content is clearly a breach of that impartiality. As click bait they regularly use sensationalist 'the end of the world is nigh' tabloid type headlines. A number of their paid journalists are well known extremists. And no I have no idea what their stance on 'vegetarianism' is by the way. But yes they do recieve funds from the plant food industry via an American pressure group to write paid pieces. In summary the reliability of their journalism is at best highly questionable I would certainly not be using same to learn about the current outbreak of Coronavirus tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

I'd say the HSE are not providing the correct precautions and advice so people don't start panicking and fill up their GPs and hospitals with "I have a cough, can I be tested?" etc.

When a case is confirmed here, all bets are off. I will be stocking up on KG's of pasta and rice. We saw what it was like with just snow.
    Indeed have closed their office in Dublin due to the virus.

UK cases doubled yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

gozunda wrote: »
    Incorrect. to answer that - glad to see you agree they are 'agenda' driven btw. My criticism of the newspaper as a whole and across a whole range of their reporting - is that they declare their journalism to be impartial - however being paid to write content is clearly a breach of that impartiality. As click bait they regularly use sensationalist 'the end of the world is nigh' tabloid type headlines. A number of their paid journalists are well known extremists. And no I have no idea what their stance on 'vegetarianism' is by the way. But yes they do recieve funds from the plant food industry via an American pressure group to write paid pieces. In summary the reliability of their journalism is at best highly questionable I would certainly not be using same to learn about the current outbreak of Coronavirus tbh.

They quoted the professor in question so any question of an agenda with the article is nonsense. It wasn't an opinion piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Even better - an island off an island which is off an island (but take a gun just in case!)

If it hit here, I think it would be time for me to head to the ancestral land in the hills for a bit.

They quoted the professor in question so any question of an agenda with the article is nonsense. It wasn't an opinion piece.

Misquoting me there I see. I didnt say it was opinion piece. And it was the previous poster who claimed the newspaper has an agenda. What is true is that the same newspaper uses sensationalist type headlines as clickbait on a regular basis. My opinion of the newspaper as a whole stands. Sorry if you dont like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Unreg0909

auspicious wrote: »
    Any update on that child recently returned from China? It's a disservice to the rest of us if it's parents haven't checked in with the department of public health as outlined in HSE guidelines.

Confirmed everything is fine. Actually a bit of misunderstanding on my daughters part so I deleted my original post as I was worrying uncessarily. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Unreg0909

auspicious wrote: »

Confirmed everything is fine. Actually a bit of misunderstanding on my daughters part so I deleted my original post as I was worrying uncessarily. Apologies.

From the HSE

A bit of a business as usual nothing to see here response. They say that the captain of the Titanic told them not to slow down when warned of ice flows ahead.

I have just spoken to somebody with connections in the medical and political world, who has heard that we have several individuals in quarantine in Ireland. It is not beyond the realm of possibility we already have it here, but sane person told me there is a policy of keeping it as quiet as possible to stop public unease.

I have just spoken to somebody with connections in the medical and political world, who has heard that we have several individuals in quarantine in Ireland. It is not beyond the realm of possibility we already have it here, but sane person told me there is a policy of keeping it as quiet as possible to stop public unease.

Pretty much as I suspected. However, they won't be able to keep it under wraps for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

sane person told me there is a policy of keeping it as quiet as possible to stop public unease.

It's all ok. The irish people never panic... I'm currently writing my will after reading boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,341 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Could you link to that? Many thanks:)

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0206/1113607-coronavirus-hse/

Public confidence in the competence of Dr John Cuddihy is limited.
    (see what i did there)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Typical Irish attitude. We know better than you; you are all ill educated children; try and cover up all unpleasant things we don't want to admit go on here.

I posted a few pages back, a quote from the Queensland minister for health about testing and keeping the public informed. Couldn't be more of contrast - just like the health systems.

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f299c016c89e9871b4927a4b66b8bc388e26658d2fd&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Its really not alarmist though, ncov does look impossible to contain, and has a higher transmission rate than for example swine flu which infected 1 in 3 people worldwide in 2009. Long asymptomatic infectious incubation period, survives tropical weather, stays on surfaces for a long time, a pandemic is pretty much inevitable.

Did a third of the world population get the swine flu?

Well I for one am willing to own the 'unease'.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Did a third of the world population get the swine flu?

Wikipedia says...
    Estimated that 11–21% of the then global population (of about 6.8 billion), or around 700–1400 million people contracted the illness — more in absolute terms than the Spanish flu pandemic.[4] However, with about 150,000–575,000 fatalities, it had a much lower case fatality rate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Did they say anything else Cat in terms of how they are preparing (HSE etc.) or what they are really expecting to happen?

cnocbui wrote: »
    Typical Irish attitude. We know better than you; you are all ill educated children; try and cover up all unpleasant things we don't want to admit go on here.
    I posted a few pages back, a quote from the Queensland minister for health about testing and keeping the public informed. Couldn't be more of contrast - just like the health systems.

I think that's an implicit admission of their inabilities \ lack of confidence in dealing with what is to come...

How about in case you had contact with him? Patient confidentiality and privacy don't go well with the overall aim of preventing a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

I think many people suspect this is the case. It pretty much boils down to as you say stopping public unease. And you can be sure the economy must be protected!! 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Absolutely pathetic if true. People have a right to be aware of the situation and prepare accordingly.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Wikipedia says...
    Estimated that 11–21% of the then global population (of about 6.8 billion), or around 700–1400 million people contracted the illness — more in absolute terms than the Spanish flu pandemic.[4] However, with about 150,000–575,000 fatalities, it had a much lower case fatality rate.

It's worth noting that that is the estimated deaths calculated a couple of years later and shouldn't be compared to official deaths of other diseases. Swine flu official deaths were 18,500.

Enda Brady has just been talking of the case of a superspreader in Britain, BrightonnI think, who has inadvertently spread it to several other people his was in (not very close I think) contact with on a skiing holiday. Other skiers got it from him. He is now recovering himself, and in quarantine in UK.

Going by this, some people in particular will be the locus of much spread before they themselves become very symptomatic. At least in the case of Influenza the onset is so abrupt and febrile that people become very sick within a day and there’s little mistaking it for a cold. It seems this Coronavirus starts insidiously like any other unpleasant cold, gets worse over a few days, then eases off before recovery or a second phase of severe and life threatening disease where the lungs “drown” in fluid. If that stage develops to life-threatening severity an ECMO blood oxygenating machine is the only way to ensure a good chance of survival. There are not many of these around at this point in our medical development, no doubt they will become fairly standard pieces of hospital kit in a decade or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

pc7 wrote: »
    Did they say anything else Cat in terms of how they are preparing (HSE etc.) or what they are really expecting to happen?

Emergency Protocol 1 (a)

All resources will be redirected to ensure there will be no shortage of bread. Communication network between Brennan’s and government will be established.

Emergency Protocol 1(b)

Resources not used in 1(a) will be redirected to Barry’s to ensure there will be no shortage of tea........

From the HSE

Here is part of my answer to him:

Hand-Gel-alc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I'd be way more worried if we didnt have people in quarantine tbh.

It's worth noting that that is the estimated deaths calculated a couple of years later and shouldn't be compared to official deaths of other diseases. Swine flu official deaths were 18,500.

Well we know that the Chinese official deaths for regular influenza are bogus and always have been, so swine flu would be no exception.
    The swine flu deaths are probably down under pneumonia or bronchitis etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,713 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

So apparently the Chinese aren't counting Asymptomatic people anymore? tying to smooth out the numbers?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Interesting piece on the Radio this morning which detailed that the Chinese government were making available an App which could be used by people in China to check if they had been in contact with any known infected persons.

I think how it works is that a persons ID number and their phone number are entered and the App will then show likley incidences of contact.

All fine but it does show the level of information the Chinese goverment has on its citizens and their movements. Big brother there is looking after you ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51439401

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Wikipedia says...

Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

gozunda wrote: »
    Interesting piece on the Radio this morning which detailed that the Chinese government were making available an App which could be used by people in China to check if they had been in contact with any known infected persons.

I think how it works is that a persons ID number and their phone number are entered and the App and the app will then show likley incidences of contact.

All fine but it does show the level of information the Chinese goverment has on its citizens and their movements. Big brother there is looking after you ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51439401

Also makes it really easy for them to find you and come knocking on your door, for a nice trip to mandatory quarantine.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement