Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

cnocbui wrote: »
    How about in case you had contact with him? Patient confidentiality and privacy don't go well with the overall aim of preventing a pandemic.

Florida authorities are adamant to uphold patient confidentiality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

gozunda wrote: »
    Interesting piece on the Radio this morning which detailed that the Chinese government were making available an App which could be used by people in China to check if they had been in contact with any known infected persons.

I think how it works is that a persons ID number and their phone number are entered and the App will then show likley incidences of contact.

All fine but it does show the level of information the Chinese goverment has on its citizens and their movements. Big brother there is looking after you ...

They've already introduced Facial Scans to anyone registering a new mobile, to match any digital ID used.

Combined with street level FRS (includes gait), and even iRed heat sensors, they'll quickly find anyone running a bit of a temperature. They're aiming for 1/5bn CCTV cameras for the end of the year. Interesting social (credit) experiment they're building.

We welcome the new Chinese overlords, new china is best china....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

givyjoe wrote: »

So they are now providing the exact same advice as the NHS only it took them an extra 7 days to copy and paste that advice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

A week will tell a lot for this virus.

A week will tell a lot for this virus.

Yep. All new cases in like a week or more in Vietnam have been close family or neighbours. If it stays quiet outside of the core groups like that, it will be ok I guess. As for China, who knows what happened there.

tuxy wrote: »
    So they are now providing the exact same advice as the NHS only it took them an extra 7 days to copy and paste that advice.

We may have no confirmed Coronavirus but chlamydia is on the rise.

https://www.hpsc.ie/notifiablediseases/weeklyidreports/ID%20Week%205.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Yeah

Sorry about that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

givyjoe wrote: »
    Also makes it really easy for them to find you and come knocking on your door, for a nice trip to mandatory quarantine.

That and the fact that pharmacies there must report anyone buying cough medicine or any other drugs to the relevant local authorities.

There was a report on it - I'll see if I can find it.

• Advertisement

Yeah

Sorry about that :(

Syphilis too. That your doing as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Syphilis too. That your doing as well?

T'was a busy weekend last I was over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If it can't be contained in Wuhan, then what is worst case scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

One thing this WuFlu is teaching us is we’re one mutation away from global biological disaster… and we’d be woefully unprepared to handle it.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I blame the koalas myself. they are riddled with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,341 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I blame the koalas myself. they are riddled with it.

Look I know they are cute but show some dignity and just stay away.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

It hasnt been contained! its all over china and in 28 other countries.

Its doubling number is spot on at 6 days in the uk - was 4 for the last week - now 8.

The worst case scenario is that it becomes widespread - its not that the virus is extremely deadly, its simply a matter of health services not being able to cope because its so infectious. Severe cases need treatment, which will simply not be available.

Worst case is a ban on leaving your home here and dying in your bed along with your family. 40% mortality rate, this gripping north africa and sending millions of infected into Europe etc

So that's why masks are sold out..

3sn2nswao7g41.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

That it takes hold somewhere without a worldclass healthcare system. Delhi, Lagos, Dublin etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

Sounds to me like it would be best to contract the virus asap and get medical treatment before hospitals become overwhelmed at which time you should still have immunity from a recurrence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The last place suspected cases should be sent is their GP or the local hospital. They should be told to remain and be handled from there by a team for the purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

ardinn wrote: »
    Worst case is a ban on leaving your home here and dying in your bed along with your family. 40% mortality rate, this gripping north africa and sending millions of infected into Europe etc

One wonders are adequate measures being taken to stop it taking hold in regions like Africa / India / Pakistan, which would have poor health infrastructure.

If it landed in a place like Lahore or Dhaka, you could easily have another Wuhan situation on your hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The folks stuck on the boat near Japan could prove a useful experiment.

That is, to observe if any after recovering from it, can catch it a 2nd time (even through mutation) and observe any change in severity.
    Someone said also that the natural antibodies are usually only good for 14days.

Of course that means keeping them all on the ship, for perhaps a couple of months.

Another ship (Carnival Cruises) has been refused port at Taiwan, Japan, the Philippines and Guam, and now Thailand.
    This is despite no confirmed cases on that ship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Some of the stuff on this thread.

You'd swear the health service in this country was the worst in the world. Our bed rates are similar to many other developed countries, we have hospitals staffed by doctors, nurses and allied professionals who are genuinely the finest in the world. We have massive success in treating acute illness from heart attacks, to trauma to stroke. Our maternal mortality rates are second to none.

We have an issue with access to low to moderate acuity OPD services and lack of appropriate step-down care. Yes if it comes it will be far from ideal, but we will deal with it. We have options too with the network of private hospitals if we have to improve capacity greatly. If we cancelled elective procedures and opened private hospitals to the less severe patients we would be in a far from hopeless situation.

The sense of schadenfreude and complete pseudo science and putting 2 and 2 together and getting 7000 on this thread is mad to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

roughly how many hospital beds could be made available in the case of an emergency?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Depends on the level of care required and the aggressiveness of the government.

You'd swear the health service in this country was the worst in the world. Our bed rates are similar to many other developed countries, we have hospitals staffed by doctors, nurses and allied professionals who are genuinely the finest in the world. We have massive success in treating acute illness from heart attacks, to trauma to stroke. Our maternal mortality rates are second to none.

We have an issue with access to low to moderate acuity OPD services and lack of appropriate step-down care. Yes if it comes it will be far from ideal, but we will deal with it. We have options too with the network of private hospitals if we have to improve capacity greatly. If we cancelled elective procedures and opened private hospitals to the less severe patients we would be in a far from hopeless situation.

The sense of schadenfreude and complete pseudo science and putting 2 and 2 together and getting 7000 on this thread is sick to be honest.

But it's not about beds or the quality of our doctors. Its about having enough equipment to provide respiratory care to large numbers of patients simultaneously. IF the nCoV took hold here that would be the concern. It would also be the concern in the uk and other countries with good healthcare systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Typical Rugby Weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

ardinn wrote: »

Wat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

roughly how many hospital beds could be made available in the case of an emergency?

You mean trolleys, surely?

No smiley, as there's nothing funny about it.

We have very little capacity and would be overwhelmed extremely quickly.

• Advertisement

The sense of schadenfreude and complete pseudo science and putting 2 and 2 together and getting 7000 on this thread is mad to be honest.

I'm an Australian. I have had experience of both the Irish and Australian medical systems. Australia's is better. Some Irish medical practitioners are indeed fine, but you are kidding yourself if you think they are the best in the world.

Our maternal mortality rates are good, but second to 19 countries. I have seen a ranking of health care by user satisfaction and Ireland was one of the worst in Europe, ranking even with Bulgaria.

Disclosure - I have been on a waiting list for 8 months, with no end in sight.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I'm an Australian. I have had experience of both the Irish and Australian medical systems. Australias are better. Some Irish medical practitioners are indeed fine, but you are kidding yourself if you think they are the best in the world.

Our maternal mortality rates are good, but second to 19 countries. I have seen a a ranking of health care by user satisfaction and Ireland was one of the worst in Europe, ranking even with Bulgaria.

Disclosure - I have been on a waiting list for 8 months, with no end in sight.

Once again our health care system is fine once your in but we have no extra capacity built in. It hits here and the fatality rate will be higher than most other Western nations because of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

step 1Some of the stuff on this thread.

step 2You'd swear the health service in this country was the worst in the world. Step 3 Our bed rates are similar to many other developed countries, we have hospitals staffed by doctors, nurses and allied professionals who are genuinely the finest in the world. We have massive success in treating acute illness from heart attacks, to trauma to stroke. Our maternal mortality rates are second to none.

Step 4We have an issue with access to low to moderate acuity OPD services and lack of appropriate step-down care. Yes if it comes it will be far from ideal, but we will deal with it. We have options too with the network of private hospitals if we have to improve capacity greatly. If we cancelled elective procedures and opened private hospitals to the less severe patients we would be in a far from hopeless situation.

Step 5The sense of schadenfreude and complete pseudo science and putting 2 and 2 together and getting 7000 on this thread is mad to be honest.

Guide to putting down the opinions of people who don’t share your exact opinion on a topic :

Step 1 - Make broad sweeping statements , not addressing anything or anybody in particular. It is very important not to address anything specific as this may lead to engagement you don’t really want to have to do.

Step 2 - lower the bar as much as possible , evenfurther then anybody has said to create a narrative that hyperbolic hysteria is clearly taking hold and you are a voice of reason. Use statements like “worst in the world” which reinforces the idea that you are speaking with lunatics.

Step 3 - make a broad general statement that nobody has really discussed or disputed. By benchmarking things against “worst in the world” you can now create a narrative of something that is very much better then that (as most things are better then the worst) without too much effort. Do this in a manner that makes anybody who has expressed any concerns, to be automatically dismissing this general information by default. This also makes you look calm, informed and the voice of reason.

Step 4 - Give your own take on how things will play out which May be pretty much identical to what most people are saying. This implies you have a level head on the topic and can concede some things that worry “the lunatics” but you’re general statements on how hysterical they are is what separates you from
    these crazies.

Step 5 - Similar to step 1 articulate how truly crazy people are who don’t think exactly like you on this topic. This ensures you will reach an echo chamber of like minded folk who can rally behind you as they equally don’t want to engage anybody on anything but enjoy your methods of putting them down...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

No video from Dr. John Campbell yet today ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

I was speaking to a city hospital nurse a couple of days ago and he was unperturbed about the issue. I gather the HSE hasn't said a whole lot about it.
    I asked him what were his thoughts on the doctor ( Wenliang ) dying in China. He said " Sure I probably have everything going. If you were to put a swab of mine in to petri dish it would grow a forest!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

blanch152 wrote: »
    Typical Rugby Weekend.

That's my lol for the day thanks

If the virus gets in anywhere, it's not the illness itself that's the problem (5% mortality) it's the breakdown of social and economic systems like work and school, banking, supply chains for food, fuel and other medicines brought about by quarantine regimes.

We wouldn't need the hospital beds as such, it would be a case of how to enforce self-isolation protocols, quarantined curfews etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

What foodstuffs would you stock up on for something like this anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Non perishable, high calorie.

If we can free up beds in private hospitals in the case of emergency then why the **** aren’t we enacting those powers for the trolley crisis we currently have?

• Advertisement

Could you list some actual numbers?
    This just reads like a HSE press release, any post that uses a phrase like "Genuinely the finest in the world" cannot be taken seriously.
    Bit like the Irish rugby team were genuinely the finest in the world until they got to an actual world cup.

I don't know how you can possibly say "we will deal with it" when you don't know what "it" is.

What's the expected number of cases here requiring acute hospital treatment and what's our capacity?

Lemons and cloves and mixed nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

wakka12 wrote: »
    Whats up with media personally naming the british 'super spreader', youd think he was doing it on purpose the way its being reported. Pictures of the guy up all over skynews..wtf?

My guess is, they cant say 'if you were in contact with him you may have picked up the disease'

If you used the same toilet, same door handle, same gym, handled the same money, breathed the same air, you could be unlucky and pick up the bug .. the list is endless..

Cant say that out loud, that would spook the cattle.. so they broadcast his name and let people get worried if they know him and they get flu like symptoms, then they report in.

And how come they say he is a super spreader? Maybe hes the norm?
    Im guessing they are re-evaluating the Ro factor of this virus now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Rice and pulses from the local Chinese store.

Could you list some actual numbers?
    This just reads like a HSE press release, any post that uses a phrase like "Genuinely the finest in the world" cannot be taken seriously.
    Bit like the Irish rugby team were genuinely the finest in the world until they got to an actual world cup.

I don't know how you can possibly say "we will deal with it" when you don't know what "it" is.

What's the expected number of cases here requiring acute hospital treatment and what's our capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

If we can free up beds in private hospitals in the case of emergency then why the **** aren’t we enacting those powers for the trolley crisis we currently have?

What do we do in an emergency then, when the beds we could've freed up are no longer free?

• Advertisement

GooglePlus wrote: »
    What do we do in an emergency then, when the beds we could've freed up are no longer free?

If someone is getting treated in a hospital ward rather than waiting on a trolley. They will get better faster and go home freeing that bed up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There is a guy on youtube who reviews the MREs issued to various countries militaries. Some of them are comprised of pretty much standard commercially available stuff you can get in any supermarket - Just have a look at his reviews to get some ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Me personally - baked beans, chocolate, flour, pasta, chicken to freeze, vitamins, baby formula, cooking oil, lentils. Use by dates of november or later on all of the above. Based on shelf life, what my family will actually eat, price. We have a lot of room for storage. I don't think it's a great list really but it's something.

Also cleaning supplies including personal hygiene stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Screenshot-20200211-155753.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement