Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

YFlyer wrote: »
    Rice and pulses from the local Chinese store.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Where do the people go that are currently in bed/trolleys, will they get turfed out?
    Bear in mind any isolation type pod/area requires extra space and resources.

Suppose they could lash up a couple of new hospitals in 10days or so, like the Chinese had to?

Reality is any major outbreak, it would be a case of 'self-isolate' have a radio nearby for updates, and get weekly drop off of tinned/dry soup packs.
    Then again folks will head to mass/supermarket without a passing thought, and not even bother to sneeze COVID-19 into their elbows nor wash hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Me personally - baked beans, chocolate, flour, pasta, chicken to freeze, vitamins, baby formula, cooking oil, lentils. Use by dates of november or later on all of the above. Based on shelf life, what my family will actually eat, price. We have a lot of room for storage. I don't think it's a great list really but it's something.

Also cleaning supplies including personal hygiene stuff.

Not saying we'll need them, surely not outside the cities...chickpeas , kidney beans and black beans have higher nutritional content.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

GooglePlus wrote: »
    What do we do in an emergency then, when the beds we could've freed up are no longer free?

An emergency is an emergency, we can't put a pause on a highly contagious Coronavirus while pat down the road lets his hernia stitches heal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Where do the people go that are currently in bed/trolleys, will they get turfed out?
    Bear in mind any isolation type pod/area requires extra space and resources.

Suppose they could lash up a couple of new hospitals in 10days or so, like the Chinese had to?

Reality is any major outbreak, it would be a case of 'self-isolate' have a radio nearby for updates, and get weekly drop off of tinned/dry soup packs.
    Then again folks will head to mass/supermarket without a passing thought, and not even bother to sneeze COVID-19 into their elbows nor wash hands.

Ha, ha - the idea for the Children's hospital was floated around 1996? This country couldn't possibly build a hospital in 10 years, let alone 10 days. Perhaps 15 years if it was an acute emergency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

auspicious wrote: »
    Not saying we'll need them, surely not outside the cities...chickpeas , kidney beans and black beans have higher nutritional content.
    Yeah chickpeas are on my mental list. Kidney beans are a good idea as well. I have lots of baked beans because my kid love them; goes through a pot or two a day. One good thing about them as a general emergency store item is that you can eat them cold in a pinch, though that's not really relevant to this situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

cnocbui wrote: »
    Ha, ha - the idea for the Children's hospital was floated around 1996? This country couldn't possibly build a hospital in 10 years, let alone 10 days. Perhaps 15 years if it was an acute emergency.

But it wasn't really a hospital the Chinese built, it was a large collection of prefabs joined together.
    Although I'm not claiming Ireland would be capable of doing that in less than a few years either.

No wonder you’re always going on about poo’s and farts if you’re eating that many baked beans!

No wonder you’re always going on about poo’s and farts if you’re eating that many baked beans!
    Funny the first time. The third time not so much.

Yeah chickpeas are on my mental list. Kidney beans are a good idea as well. I have lots of baked beans because my kid love them; goes through a pot or two a day. One good thing about them as a general emergency store item is that you can eat them cold in a pinch, though that's not really relevant to this situation.

This country is full of morons and it has pandered to every lowlife subhuman scum we have.

Gangs out of control shooting each other break-ins junkies with hundreds of convections.

If you stock up on food and all the shops are shut you will just be robbed unless you can defend it.

Best to hook up with an ex law enforcement man and a small group of people and hold up on a ranch and lock all the infected into the barn.

Be on the lookout for a scary looking fu**er with a baseball bad covered in barbed wire.

• Advertisement

How long would you plan on staying in the house without leaving for food?
    Anything up to one month and the only real concern is having enough calories and clean water.
    If you plan on longer then yes, a good variety of vitamins and minerals will be needed.

Funny the first time. The third time not so much.

Well that’s you off the list of who I’ll invite to Leitrim. Even Coronavirus doesn’t know it exists!

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Has anyone heard of re-tests on the suspected cases here?

I know they were negative which is good but the information coming out is that a further test is needed after a few days as the first doesn't show the virus in many cases.

The statement re the virus spreading being limited and the way the Moscow flight case was handled does not inspire confidence in our capacity to cope here.

This country is full of morons and it has pandered to every lowlife subhuman scum we have.

Gangs out of control shooting each other break-ins junkies with hundreds of convections.

If you stock up on food and all the shops are shut you will just be robbed unless you can defend it.

Best to hook up with an ex law enforcement man and a small group of people and hold up on a ranch and lock all the infected into the barn.

Be on the lookout for a scary looking fu**er with a baseball bad covered in barbed wire if you see him it will be pee pee pants time.

Edit being serious there is nothing we can do to stop this thing so why worry?
    Yeah I think if things get to that point it's better to organize a group of people you trust, get dogs, or some projectile weaponry - if there is anything both legal and effective without a lot of training.
    Plenty of bigger and more visible targets than us anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Yeah I think if things get to that point it's better to organize a group of people you trust, get dogs, or some projectile weaponry - if there is anything both legal and effective without a lot of training.
    Plenty of bigger and more visible targets than us anyway.

They will be too busy raising Lidl.

They will be too busy raising Lidl.

When they target Marks and Sparks that is when our elite will worry.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

:D:D:D:D:D:D

There be endless supplies. Most folks be too paranoid to enter the store.

YFlyer wrote: »
    There be endless supplies. Most folks be too paranoid to enter the store.

You come in the Wong shop.:D

I know I am making jokes but serious question what can governments do to stop this I mean really?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

• Advertisement

Was his nose getting longer while he was speaking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Pretty remarkable that anyone can fly into and out of China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Remember that symptoms are mild to non existent for most people. Doesn't mean you cant prepare by throwing a few extra bits into your weekly shop but envisioning walking dead scenarios etc is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Yeah. He said the same thing last month...
    All they have to do to ensure numbers fall is test less people...

You come in the Wong shop.:D

I know I am making jokes but serious question what can governments do to stop this I mean really?

Probably takeover a hotel of college campus accommodation for guarantee positive cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Trump says April as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Is BNO a good source?

WHO 'Tedros asked countries to be “as aggressive as possible” in fighting the coronavirus on Tuesday'.

they need to give stronger advice than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

People need to stop catastrophising. In the event thing ever got bad, there are hundreds of solutions.

There are thousands of non-permanent residential beds on Third Level campuses that are easy enough to lock down, there are estate hotels and country clubs which likewise are well off the road and not too hard to secure. Even the likes of Center Parcs in Longford could be commandeered and set up as a sanitorium. School halls, leisure centres, even the National Sports Campus are massive capacity for isolation if it came to it.

There isn't a cure for this so it would only be a case of treating the symptoms and keeping patients hydrated. Those that succumb, succumb. We aren't talking plague here.

The very best thing Ireland has going for it is that at the stroke of a pen our Ports and Airports get shut down and that's us isolated, if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 siobhan2005

10 year old son just brought the attached leaflet home from school.

Advice seems to be if student has been to china in past 14 days but does not have symptoms, then carry on as usual, no need to self isolate.

Similar advice for staff in schools, creches. If they have been to china in past 14 days, but they remain well, no specific measures are needed in the workplace.

Slightly worrying considering what we are hearing about asymptomatic spread.

Sorry Here is the link to what he received home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Could you list some actual numbers?
    This just reads like a HSE press release, any post that uses a phrase like "Genuinely the finest in the world" cannot be taken seriously.
    Bit like the Irish rugby team were genuinely the finest in the world until they got to an actual world cup.

I don't know how you can possibly say "we will deal with it" when you don't know what "it" is.

What's the expected number of cases here requiring acute hospital treatment and what's our capacity?

Nor do you know what it is when it comes to Ireland. I’ve worked with hundreds of physicians from all over the world and the Irish are phenomenal. You’re entitled to your contrary opinion.

Anyway I don’t want to delay you from buying your plot on a deserted island with 1700 cans of rice and a goat. I’ll go back to writing HSE press releases.

Advice seems to be if student has been to china in past 14 days but does not have symptoms, then carry on as usual, no need to self isolate.

Similar advice for staff in schools, creches. If they have been to china in past 14 days, but they remain well, no specific measures are needed in the workplace.

Slightly worrying considering what we are hearing about asymptomatic spread.

But the super spreader showed no symptoms and look what happened there!

That’s really bad advice.

• Advertisement

Two prisoners being tested in UK, How would they have got it ,

Larbre34 wrote: »
    People need to stop catastrophising. In the event thing ever got bad, there are hundreds of solutions.

There are thousands of non-permanent residential beds on Third Level campuses that are easy enough to lock down, there are estate hotels and country clubs which likewise are well off the road and not too hard to secure. Even the likes of Center Parcs in Longford could be commandeered and set up as a sanitorium. School halls, leisure centres, even the National Sports Campus are massive capacity for isolation if it came to it.

There isn't a cure for this so it would only be a case of treating the symptoms and keeping patients hydrated. Those that succumb, succumb. We aren't talking plague here.

The very best thing Ireland has going for it is that at the stroke of a pen our Ports and Airports get shut down and that's us isolated, if needs be.

I have a some experience with the student accommodation at DCU. You would need to remove all doors to the rooms and probably fire doors. The rooms are so small and cramped they just wouldn't be appropriate unless you are talking of dumping people and leaving them to die.

They are being tested, they probably don't have it.

Visitors / Guards / New prisoners ?

Critical thinking gone out the window?

Could only guess but a large number of prisoners in the UK get day release as they do not have enough space for everyone at once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

What's happened to the people who've gotten better...are they just released back to society?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Be on the lookout for a scary looking fu**er with a baseball bad covered in barbed wire if you see him it will be pee pee pants time.

Edit being serious there is nothing we can do to stop this thing so why worry?

So basically the plotline of The Walking Dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Based on what evidence is this going to be over in April?! They haven't controlled it whatsoever in China. Are they just going to step testing people and then declare its over?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Anally at a guess.

• Advertisement

dinorebel wrote: »
    Anally at a guess.

So it got into the prison through a back door?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

What's happened to the people who've gotten better...are they just released back to society?

If they have recovered and are no longer carrying the virus I would think so yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Yes

dinorebel wrote: »
    Anally at a guess.

You're buying me a new mouthful of coffee.

I have a some experience with the student accommodation at DCU. You would need to remove all doors to the rooms and probably fire doors. The rooms are so small and cramped they just wouldn't be appropriate unless you are talking of dumping people and leaving them to die.

The older accommodation at UL be like that. Newer campus accommodation are mainly ensuite with double size beds.

You didn’t attach the leaflet, Siobhan.

In the audio you can hear the safety switch being clicked back on the 9mm at the end.

No one is talking about mass movement of patients on trolleys, most of them though unwell would be ambulant, ordinary wheelchairs and escape chairs would cover most of the rest. And of course it wouldn't be abandoning them to die, most would recover spontaneously once they get food water and pain management which is perfectly possible with barrier nursing protocols. They could even have wifi!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

We prefer not to talk about them in this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement