Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

marvin80 wrote: »
    We prefer not to talk about them in this thread.

I heard the Chinese are burning survivors with giant lasers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This from a couple of days ago - on how the health care system here would cope in terms of available medical resources
    A consultant in infectious diseases has outlined three possible scenarios for Ireland in dealing with a potential outbreak.

Prof Sam McConkey said in the best-case scenario, between 50 and 200 suspected cases of coronavirus would be promptly detected and isolated.

Should one or two patients test positive, Ireland is well prepared to care for them in isolation until they recover, he wrote in a Sunday newspaper.

In a situation where the suspected case numbers were small and the virus detected and diagnosed quickly, there would be no real risk to the population.

However, Ireland could be hit with the equivalent of another flu season, and he was concerned about the ability of the health service to cope with the extra pressure.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/gps-to-get-personal-protection-packs-for-coronavirus-from-hse-980674.html

Yeah we'll be grand I reckon ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I do think that a culture will need to be created to try prevent spreading not just Coronavirus but illness in general.
    Beacause there will probably be more similar illness like this more often.

Experts were worried about this happening months ago.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Just on the few bits extra for the cupboard to add to what was suggested earlier. Teabags, coffee, porridge, tinned fish, tinned fruit, herbs (to help flavor bland rice/pasta/noodles), miwadi, bleach, soap, black bags and water.

I downloaded all the Primitive Technology videos in case I have to rebuild society from scratch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,343 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

pc7 wrote: »
    Just on the few bits extra for the cupboard to add to what was suggested earlier. Teabags, coffee, porridge, tinned fish, tinned fruit, herbs (to help flavor bland rice/pasta/noodles), miwadi, bleach, soap, black bags and water.

Great list. Stuff with long shelf life you will cycle through eventually, so you're not really spending any extra money just "paying it forward".

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 siobhan2005

You didn’t attach the leaflet, Siobhan.

Just fixed the post, its on the HSE site.

Here it is

It says for students and staff who have been to mainland China in past 14 days and are well with no symptoms then you can still attend school/creche. Its not until someone shows up with sypmtoms that they advise to isolate and not attend school.

As a type 1 Diabetic and mother to 3 kids in school Im starting to get a bit worried now, there is a high chance it will turn up here if they are not taking preventative action.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Great list. Stuff with long shelf life you will cycle through eventually, so you're not really spending any extra money just "paying it forward".

Exactly, also paracetamol and kids (Calpol/Neuofen), always in press regardless.

Coronavirus (covid-19) infection cases will be announced by the dept of health instead of the hspc. I think that is unusual. They must want to manage the information being given to the public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Here it is

It says for students and staff who have been to mainland China in past 14 days and are well with no symptoms then you can still attend school/creche. Its not until someone shows up with sypmtoms that they advise to isolate and not attend school.

As a type 1 Diabetic and mother to 3 kids in school Im starting to get a bit worried now, there is a high chance it will turn up here if they are not taking preventative action.

That would indicate that they’ve moved past the Containment stage and onto the Mitigation stage.

Seems odd considering we’ve had no cases here yet.

Here it is

That is such a stupid decision.

Better to be safe & not have them in contact with as many people as possible until more information is established.

What foodstuffs would you stock up on for something like this anyway?

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/emergency_preparedness/planning/Pages/emergency-pantry-list.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Coronavirus (covid-19) infection cases will be announced by the dept of health instead of the hspc. I think that is unusual. They must want to manage the information being given to the public.

Someone probably told them about this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Just after seeing a sad video over on Reddit, 3 very young victims of the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Exactly, also paracetamol and kids (Calpol/Neuofen), always in press regardless.

And lots of toilet roll ....

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Dpg21

The folks stuck on the boat near Japan could prove a useful experiment.

That is, to observe if any after recovering from it, can catch it a 2nd time (even through mutation) and observe any change in severity.
    Someone said also that the natural antibodies are usually only good for 14days.

Of course that means keeping them all on the ship, for perhaps a couple of months.

Another ship (Carnival Cruises) has been refused port at Taiwan, Japan, the Philippines and Guam, and now Thailand.
    This is despite no confirmed cases on that ship.

The other is Holland America westerdam, I work in the cruise industry and was supposed to be joining the ship, all cruises are cancelled until March I believe.

I was weighing up my options over the weekend and as of yesterday I handed in my notice and won’t be returning to my job. Every day it’s getting worse and the last thing I want is to be sick or quarantined to a tiny cabin below the water line for at least 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I have just spoken to somebody with connections in the medical and political world, who has heard that we have several individuals in quarantine in Ireland. It is not beyond the realm of possibility we already have it here, but sane person told me there is a policy of keeping it as quiet as possible to stop public unease.
    Did this person say quarantine or isolation?

Most wards in most hospitals have isolation rooms to prevent sick people from spreading their illness to others.
    Patients with influenza, gastroenteritis, TB etc may be kept in isolation.
    I haven't heard of anyone actually being quarantined.

Sick people are isolated. Well/asymptomatic people are quarantined.

Anyone suspected as having Coronavirus here has presented to hospital displaying symptoms and has testing carried out as precaution.

We haven't yet had a positive case.

Most wards in most hospitals have isolation rooms to prevent sick people from spreading their illness to others.

Anyone suspected as having Coronavirus here has presented to hospital displaying symptoms and has testing carried out as precaution.

What do you think is the longest possible time between presentation and the public announcement of a positive test result? Take weekends into account..

What do you think is the longest possible time between presentation and the public announcement of a positive test result? Take weekends into account..
    I don't know. Thats up to the department of health.

• Advertisement

They said the word quarantine, they had been talking to a doctor about it. This person is a health care professional and I took it to mean actual quarantine of non-symptomatic versus isolation. I was getting attended to by the person, so our conversation quickly progressed to what I was there about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

It's a public health risk, I think it's more fitting for them to announce than the HSE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,651 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I don't know. Thats up to the department of health.

How many tests though Martina? Like a patient in Wuhan had to be tested 4 times before a positive reading, how many times are the unconfirmed cases tested here if your privy to that info. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

They said the word quarantine, they had been talking to a doctor about it. This person is a health care professional and I took it to mean actual quarantine of non-symptomatic versus isolation. I was getting attended to by the person, so our conversation quickly progressed to what I was there about.

You have the the coronavirus :eek:

get out of this thread you'll infect us all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I noted that the recent announcement was

'no confirmed positive case'

I would guess that the time to do a confirmatory test of a positive plus informing other Departments/Agencies crisis meeting etc. would take a week?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Two prisoners being tested in UK, How would they have got it ,

One was transferred from Thailand

Na. I work in a major hospital. There is no quarantine. It's isolation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I downloaded all the Primitive Technology videos in case I have to rebuild society from scratch.

Appropriate username.
    You will have to transcribe the videos as you won't be able to play them without power. Etched onto stone tablets has been the preferred historical method.

How many tests though Martina? Like a patient in Wuhan had to be tested 4 times before a positive reading, how many times are the confirmed cases tested here if your privy to that info.
    I don't know. There's a number of factors. There's no set number of tests. I'm not a clinician. I don't know what the protocols are for assessment and diagnosis. Are tests requested on a daily basis, every few days or once a week.

Generally in viral illnesses, those milder symptoms have a lower viral load. Those with more severe symptoms have a higher viral load.

A lower viral load is harder to detect than a high viral load. It takes time for the virus to replicate in a patient before it reaches a level that it can be detected.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    You have the the coronavirus :eek:

get out of this thread you'll infect us all

Nope, purely related to a non-infectious condition.

I see there’s an entry in Wikipaedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19

It suggests that some may have quite a long incubation, and protracted illness. Upper respiratory symptoms are less of a feature, which would make the infection more like an Influenza than a nasty common cold. It doesn’t say if the onset is as abrupt as Influenza. One thing it specifies is that it causes lymphocytopenia. which means it lowers the immune system. I am a person with chronic mild lymphocytopenia, so my blood results could look initially suspicious were I to get a respiratory infection warranting a clinic check-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Zenify wrote: »

It’s gone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Latest update

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Closed Cases (Cases which had an outcome) = 5,386
    Deaths = 1,018
    Rate = 19%

Active Cases (Currently Infected Patients) = 37,760
    Serious or Critical = 7,345
    Rate = 19%

Critical/serious cases are people who require to be attached to a machine in order to be able to breath
    That 19% looks like it's going to become the death rate after all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Nothing there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Latest update

Deaths = 1,018
    Rate = 19%

Rate = 19%

Critical/serious cases are people who require to be attached to a machine in order to be able to breath

If it was 20% yesterday and 19% today does that mean recovery rates are now outpacing death rates?
    That's a considerable improvement in just one day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,803 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Dr John
    its up again, here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8xZhRiOgWU

He says he has had problems with posting the videos and he has to give them very generic names that will not be flagged as a video about the virus.

Why would youtube be doing this?

tuxy wrote: »
    If it was 20% yesterday and 19% today does that mean recovery rates are now outpacing death rates?
    That's a considerable improvement in just one day.

It's too early to identify a possible trend, the figure will probably fluctuate as numbers increase.

I'm going to report on the rates on a daily basis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

tuxy wrote: »
    He says he has had problems with posting the videos and he has to give them very generic names that will not be flagged as a video about the virus.

Why would youtube be doing this?

Big tech have a policy of stopping the spread of Misinformation.

• Advertisement

Gynoid wrote: »
    Appropriate username.
    You will have to transcribe the videos as you won't be able to play them without power. Etched onto stone tablets has been the preferred historical method.
    My laptop will run for a few hours which should be enough to get to the episode where he builds a power station from wattle & daub.

Big tech have a policy of stopping the spread of Misinformation.

Good point.
    I guess the CT nuts will run riot if left unchecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Latest update

Deaths = 1,018
    Rate = 19%

Rate = 19%

Not really, a recent WHO report showed that 10-40% of people in critical condition die.

A third of the ncov infections in the Chinese city of Tianjin linked to an outbreak in a shopping mall

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/f2c44k/nearly_a_third_of_the_confirmed_cases_of_the/
    Shows how important it is to not be complacent just because there is no confirmed cases in your country yet. It only takes one to spark a pandemic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Plus a Glock and a few boxes of 9mil.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Not really, a recent WHO report showed that 10-40% of people in critical condition die.

Hospitals around the world are not equipped to treat an increasing number of critical patients. Once capacity limit is reached how are such patients going to be treated?
    That's when the 19% becomes a reality. Let's hope this isn't going to happen

Plus a Glock and a few boxes of 9mil.

Nah, I’m more of a ‘Lucile’ type of girl, up close and personal ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Everyday there are new conspiracy theories, even from established publishing sources or news agencies using 2nd hand info.
    Worth a quick look/consideration, then 90% of the time, an equally quick dismissal. Some of today's most popular ones include:

1). It came from a meteorite which hit China last year, and that virus particles survived in that interior of the incandescent (solar min) meteor, explaining the localisation. Said to have came from Professor Chandra Wickramasinghe, of the Buckingham Centre for Astrobiology.
    Entertainment Value: 9/10 funny stuff!
    Likelyhood factor 1/10 (even the 'Buckingham Centre' does sound very madey uppy).

2). Crows are now feasting on those passed away on the streets of Wuhan.
    Entertainment Value: 1/10 very morbid.
    Likelyhood factor 2/10 (someone took a random photo of a murder of crows, likely just eating a few of the dead bugs as a result of the big clean up and spray about).

If somebody was being treated in hospital for flu illness in a western country would they be tested for coronavirus? Just wondering because all known clusters outside China demonstrate remarkable ease of infection, such as in Germany two more cases today related to the business in Munich, it seems impossible to believe that coronvirus has not already spread wider outside China

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Hearing a report that the incubation period could be up to 24 days.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement