Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

wakka12 wrote: »
    If somebody was being treated in hospital for flu illness in a western country would they be tested for coronavirus? Just wondering because all known clusters outside China demonstrate remarkable ease of infection, such as in Germany two more cases today related to the business in Munich, it seems impossible to believe that coronvirus has not already spread wider outside China

No they are only testing those with a recent travel history to china or contact with a known case. I presume they would be tested for flu as standard anyway and perhaps if that came back negative but symptoms worsen then they would test for a coronavirus (there is a general test) and if that is positive maybe then they would check if it is this new strain. Who knows though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Big tech have a policy of stopping the spread of Misinformation.

They will even get up on front of congress If somebody suggests otherwise ...

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Big tech have a policy of stopping the spread of Misinformation.

Hopefully they won't find this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

tuxy wrote: »
    He says he has had problems with posting the videos and he has to give them very generic names that will not be flagged as a video about the virus.

Why would youtube be doing this?

Unbelievable. The guy is as level headed as they come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Hearing a report that the incubation period could be up to 24 days.

That's yesterdays news, it's 42 days today.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

The efforts the Chinese are putting in to stopping this are just truly breathtaking and still it spreads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

That's yesterdays news, it's 42 days today.

The incubation period doubles every 5.2 days.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

A comment left on Twitter post above about infected medical staff is very interesting (I don’t have numbers so not sure if true).

‘ It reads: "It said that by mid-January there had been about 500 confirmed cases among hospital staff with a further 600 suspected ones."

On 23-01-2020 we had less than 600 confirmed cases. So can we agree the numbers from China are fake? Or is this article exaggerating numbers?’

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

pc7 wrote: »
    A comment left on Twitter post above about infected medical staff is very interesting (I don’t have numbers so not sure if true).

‘ It reads: "It said that by mid-January there had been about 500 confirmed cases among hospital staff with a further 600 suspected ones."

On 23-01-2020 we had less than 600 confirmed cases. So can we agree the numbers from China are fake? Or is this article exaggerating numbers?’

Helen Branswell tweeted that story. She's respected, and the newspaper is a major media outlet in the region.

Lancet resource. You can sign up for free updates on COVID-19:

https://www.thelancet.com/coronavirus?dgcid=kr_pop-up_tlcoronavirus20

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Helen Branswell tweeted that story. She's respected, and the newspaper is a major media outlet in the region.

Yeah, she’s a good follow alright, it’s more it highlights the ‘error’ in figures the Chinese have been giving out as BS as expected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Nah, there's so much misinformation at play here that who knows what the truth is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

pc7 wrote: »

That's the problem. China have withheld accurate information on the condition since the start of January or so. Its making it much more difficult to analyse how quickly it has spread throughout China or how many people are infected. My estimated guess is that its likely closer to huge numbers but only the mild or severe cases are being confirmed atm.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I think we're all in the same boat regarding uncertainty and misinformation.

• Advertisement

Sky News leading with this story. RTE asleep at the wheel, for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭tara73

so China is banning all sales of (live) wild animals. one good thing in all of this, the incredible cute and fascinating pangolin will have a chance to recover from extinction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Any news about the Wework employee suspected of having it? News reports from 2 days ago said results in 48 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Looking back when China had 90 confirmed cases their were 3 worldwide which seems simply impossible. It seems that as soon as it hit outside of China they decided to maybe make the numbers more realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Any news about the Wework employee suspected of having it? News reports from 2 days ago said results in 48 hours

Do you mean Indeed?

• Advertisement

I thought kids were safe enough from this, I've just seen 3 of them go in the one body bag, no need to post it.

At what point do we panic and shut our borders?

Do you mean Indeed?

I saw earlier that there expecting tests to came back negative and staff can come back into the office next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I thought kids were safe enough from this, I've just seen 3 of them go in the one body bag, no need to post it.

No one said kids are safe just there had been no "officially reported" cases yet
    They were just going on the assumption of previous viruses that were for the most part mild in children

No need for panic. The border closing won't happen until it's too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭tara73

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxsKsCVwEg4

sorry if this was posted before.
    he's so funny here. think he should defo meet up with Emily...:D

What made you think kids were safe from this?
    The people most at risk are old, young and people with underlying medical conditions.

We shouldn't ever panic - that will make the situation worse.

Take it one day at a time and a case by case basis.
    It's completely out of your control so take it easy!

I havnt heard any reports of children dying. I think it would be on the news if it happened, like when the 36 year old died at the beginning, it was on the news because it was noteworthy that he was young.

From what I’m reading in Lancet & other reports is that the illness caused by this virus resembles Influenza more than a common cold. In the latter a runny nose and scratchy throat with tracheitis / laryngitis is a major feature, but in Covid-19 the typical cold symptoms are either absent or not well marked. Instead people go down straight off with a fever, lower respiratory dry cough & muscle pains, which progresses to a severe pneumonia in a higher proportion of patients than in the case with Infuenza. Nowhere am I seeing that it is in some cases a trivial cold-like condition, it is a virus that favours the lower respiratory system. Indeed there are descriptions of patients having very dry mucus membranes. So, somebody with a sneezy cold is highly unlikely to have Covid-19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I havnt heard any reports of children dying. I think it would be on the news if it happened, like when the 36 year old died at the beginning, it was on the news because it was noteworthy that he was young.

Posted about it earlier today, it was in China, they were only tots. Very sad.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Posted about it earlier today, it was in China, they were only tots. Very sad.

Was it confirmed by any reputable source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

BanditLuke wrote: »

Poor fellow gets more and more depressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I agree no point in panic there is nothing we can really do about it.
    However I think it is a lot more serious than some people on here realise.

The though something might kill be does not scare me in the least to be honest.

Having something nasty fighting for air even if I survive that does scare me.
    Having elderly relatives catch this also scares me.

Also getting a really mild case of this and spreading it to others also fills me with dread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

BanditLuke wrote: »

It's an automatic filter, youtube wouldn't have the resources to review everything manually.

Marty Morrissey hit them a shot of a hurl and they didn't flinch.

I am also scared about the long term implications of getting the virus. Some reports of it causing permanent or at least long lasting lung and cardio vacular damage, I wonder what defines 'recovered'? Just the virus being out of your system? How many of the recovered are completely healthy?

It looked genuine, but it was removed. From the mods on Reddit:
    We went through a lot of deliberation on this post. We have decided to remove it because A) even if true, it does not add anything of value. We know people are dying and seeing dead children is upsetting, but it provides no further benefit other than shock value. B) Although it looks to be from infectious disease, there is no way to confirm it is from any time recently.

I can PM you the link if you want to make up your own mind, video is from CCTV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

It's on Twitter still.. absolutely horrific poor little pets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

We had a riot at the Red Cow on New Years and non of our media mentioned it so what exectly is a reputable source?

Official lies are still lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I get the impression that they are being vigilant with testing, and most tests are not expected to be positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,379 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

My brother and sister in law got out of Shanghai 3 weeks back. One of them is native and the family is connected locally. Their educated estimate is that cases are being underreported by the Chinese authorities by a factor of 10.

Jesus that video of the children in the hospital is chilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Is it any worse than the yearly flu in terms of death rates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Latest update

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Closed Cases (Cases which had an outcome) = 5,386
    Deaths = 1,018
    Rate = 19%

Active Cases (Currently Infected Patients) = 37,760
    Serious or Critical = 7,345
    Rate = 19%

Critical/serious cases are people who require to be attached to a machine in order to be able to breath
    That 19% looks like it's going to become the death rate after all

More misinformation. Read my post from yesterday in this thread.

Serious means, generally speaking, patient contracted viral pneumonia. Number hovering around 17% of patients and most of those require little or no respiratory support beyond supplemental oxygen.
    Around a third needed some kind of ICU treatment, of which mechanical ventilation is one. Still further is the ECMO option.
    Beyond that, 6 out of 41 ICU patients died in a study where around half are still in hospital, so a pessimistic assessment would be a third 33% fatality rate among ICU cases. (which themselves are only 5.5% of reported cases).

Yesterday the recovery to death ratio was just under 4:1, Now it's 4.3:1. A week ago it was evens. If you apply the same crazy panic logic and assume it reduces by 1% every day then in 19 days, it's harmless! That won't be true either of course, however the number keeps falling and will continue to do so.

Meanwhile, still just 2 deaths outside China. 1 of those was nearly two weeks ago yet there have been many dozens sick since then. The recovery rate will rally very shortly I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

From what I’m reading in Lancet & other reports is that the illness caused by this virus resembles Influenza more than a common cold. In the latter a runny nose and scratchy throat with tracheitis / laryngitis is a major feature, but in Covid-19 the typical cold symptoms are either absent or not well marked. Instead people go down straight off with a fever, lower respiratory dry cough & muscle pains, which progresses to a severe pneumonia in a higher proportion of patients than in the case with Infuenza. Nowhere am I seeing that it is in some cases a trivial cold-like condition, it is a virus that favours the lower respiratory system. Indeed there are descriptions of patients having very dry mucus membranes. So, somebody with a sneezy cold is highly unlikely to have Covid-19.

In the event of an outbreak here the issue arising from this is that anyone coming down with cold or flu symptoms in the initial stages are going to be under suspicion as to infection - at least until either medical diagnosis or testing can confirm otherwise.

There is the danger that some people may think ah sure its only a cold / bit of the flu and not think about self isolating.

Both scenarios may cause issues with primary health care providers such as GPs etc and infection control measures.

Additionally anyone who has not got the flu vaccine may also want to consider the unlikely but possible issues with comorbidity of influenza and the coronavirus.

I was watching people reacting to someone having a coughing episode the other day and the reaction was noticeable and as of yet we dont even have any confirmed cases!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

It looked genuine, but it was removed. From the mods on Reddit:

I can PM you the link if you want to make up your own mind, video is from CCTV.
    Don't need a link but would like to know what subreddit removed it?

• Advertisement

Odhinn wrote: »
    Is it any worse than the yearly flu in terms of death rates?

Currently 250 times higher than flu.
    Don't need a link but would like to know what subreddit removed it?

r/Coronavirus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I saw the video. I also saw the third reply:
    #FAKENEWSWATCH: This video is not related to the #Coronavirus. The 3 children shown in the video died after carbon monoxide poisoning.
    Still shocking nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Currently 250 times higher than flu.

r/Coronavirus

Based on what mathematics? Impossible to determine with very limited information.

So much sensationalist fear mongering click bait stories been said and linked here as facts. Fear sells if you let it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

fritzelly wrote: »

Either the WHO and their conclusion is wrong or travel bans / mass quarantining REALLY work astonishingly well in terms of spread.

Hopefully the official new case numbers are truly representative of a the trend in China. I have my doubts, think we need to project only from international cases.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement