Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No right wing alternative= No alternative

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It's basically gone!.

No Irish language
    No Celtic traditions
    No Brehon law
    No Sean Nos
    No Gaelteachts even in Dublin the capital FFS.

Ireland is vassel state of the EU.

Good little monkeys doing as they are told!.

So it's EU's fault you are now using English not Irish?

Frankly I don't think there is any party daft enough for you now matter how popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Butson wrote: »
    Cormac Lucey was on Newstalk yesterday evening.
    He made a very valid point. Why is nobody talking about what impact the huge levels of immigration are having on our housing crises?

I think most fair minded Irish people would agree that on balance, immigration into the country has been a positive thing.
    But, does that mean we don't talk about issues like the above?

Infantile.

Even the assumption that immigration is a positive thing is worthy of scrutiny

Why is assumed to be an inherent good?

We once believed the pope was infallible.

Now we have new articles of faith only it's a liberal clergy hands down the creed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

With all the handouts for people who don’t work - where is the encouragement to contribute to society?
    Why do we say full employment = 5% unemployment? We need foreigners who are willing to work to do jobs that large portions of Irish think is beneath them.
    Will you work? Yes? Then come on in.

Public service pensions - don’t get me started ��
    Governments here just waste my tax money. The service provided is so crap that I have to go private in the end and pay for it twice.
    You're 100% right.
    I'm thinking of writing tax cuts now on my ballot.

I will still go in and vote as I want to make sure I am on the marked register.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Why do we say full employment = 5% unemployment?

Because there will always be people who are between jobs or out of work for a particular reason. So 5 to 7 percent unemployed is considered full employment.

No society will ever have all of its eligible workforce employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It's basically gone!.

No Irish language
    No Celtic traditions
    No Brehon law

Sean Nos, it's a dying art but visit any Siamsa and you will find an exponent of it.
    It doesn't mean it's any good, but sure I'm sure you could do a turn yourself?

What Celtic traditions, and by that I mean actual Celtic traditions not some romanticised Pearsian recreation such as the Tailteann games are you missing?

Brehon law, so because the ancient Irish had a law code, it should be the one we still use?
    What parts of Brehon law being dead are impacting upon your life?
    What parts of Brehon law have fallen by the wayside since the foundation of the State?

Should the Iraqi's still follow the code of Hammurabi?
    Because it's "tradition"?
    How good is your own Irish? How often do you make effort to use it?
    When is the last time you visited a Gaeltacht?

Lay out the ways in which this is actually true and denigrates Ireland?

I'd hazard a guess you are a fan of turning the seal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

is_that_so wrote: »
    Anyone can make a claim like that. Did he actually say what exactly those huge levels were and what kind of people they are? My money is on EU members who are fully entitled to come here.

Being entitled to be here doesn't change whether or not someone is an immigrant so luceys point still stands, the increase in the percentage of the population living here who were born outside the country ( since 1995) is higher here than anywhere else in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I am not anti immigrant at all - bar from thinking you shoudnt be offered a social house without first contributing to socierty - but there are numbers here (likely increased since then) - https://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/david-quinn/huge-scale-of-immigration-is-making-our-housing-crisis-worse-35498057.html

It is something that should be taken into account when discussing issues with services providing, the demand for these have grown massively.
    Most of the 17% or so come from EU countries and a soon to be ex-EU country and are gainfully employed. I'm not sure what conversation you imagine there is to be had about people who have every right to live here.

On the social end there are questions to look at, for some EU citizens and certainly for those who are non-EU but their numbers are very small in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Tony EH wrote: »
    Because there will always be people who are between jobs or out of work for a particular reason. So 5 to 7 percent unemployed is considered full employment.

No society will ever have all of its eligible workforce employed.

One particular reason is that you get free stuff when you don’t work.

Also, cap children’s allowance after 4 kids. There was a couple on the Late Late one night with 11 kids getting €1800 per month children’s allowance ffs.
    We are mental to be encouraging this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

is the EU supposed to be a lefty thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Being entitled to be here doesn't change whether or not someone is an immigrant so luceys point still stands, the increase in the percentage of the population living here who were born outside the country ( since 1995) is higher here than anywhere else in Europe
    Again this does nothing for me apart from make me say well that's an interesting statistic. Has Lucey come up with any solutions to the conundrum or is it just more rent-an-opinion from an economist?

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    is the EU supposed to be a lefty thing?
    Who knows?

You’ve got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know…

One particular reason is that you get free stuff when you don’t work.

Bollocks.

When jobs are available. The vast majority of people work in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭relax carry on

It's basically gone!.

No Irish language
    No Celtic traditions
    No Brehon law
    No Sean Nos

I was right with the rose tinted fantasy view of the 50s as this posters version of Irish identify, but I was thinking maybe the 1950s not the 950s. Jesus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

It's hard to strike a balance, I certainly don't feel like any party in Ireland represents my views.

Now I'm not a big fan of political labels, I think probably most of us hold a lot of varying views so to say that someone is 'right' or 'left' wing can be a little bit too broad.

Personally I would say I'm right wing economically. I'm not a huge fan of big government, I think our welfare is far too generous and I honestly think there is as much of an entitlement crisis as a homeless crisis in Ireland, I've worked for a housing agency and have seen this first hand! Also I don't hate millionaires even though I'm not one myself.

Socially though I have no interest in the right or left, I'm very individualistic when it comes to social issues (I'm all for free choice so long as you're not harming others). The right is far too religious (can't stand religion) and the left is full of kale consuming snowflakes who love nothing more than being 'offended' by things they know nothing about.

Now I fully supported gay marriage and because I'm pro-life I voted to remove the despicable 8th amendment (I mean why wouldn't I, there's a very strong chance that me and my 3 siblings wouldn't be here if my mother hadn't received a necessary abortion in the 70s).

Ps, but don't agree that people can magically change genders though and I have no time for non-binary rubbish.

So I'm not particularly excited by our current options.

I was right with the rose tinted fantasy view of the 50s as this posters version of Irish identify, but I was thinking maybe the 1950s not the 950s. Jesus!

The irony is that that poster is probably only in their 20's. :pac:

The right is far too religious (can't stand religion) and the left is full of kale consuming snowflakes who love nothing more than being 'offended' by things they know nothing about.

This is a very US centric view.

A consequence of far too much internet.

It's basically gone!.
    No Irish language
    No Celtic traditions
    No Brehon law
    No Sean Nos
    No ritualised warfare
    No blood price
    No bondsmaids
    No queens
    No fosterage
    No hostages
    No one who can jump over a hazel wand two metres high without breaking stride
    No one who can run under a hazel wand one metre high without breaking stride

No cattle raiding
    No demigods
    No fairies
    No woodkern
    No glib
    No saffron tunics
    No horse sacrifice

This country is ruined!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

It's basically gone!.

No Irish language
    No Celtic traditions
    No Brehon law
    No Sean Nos

What millennium do you think we're living in?! Brehon law lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Angela Merkel is the reason we don't have the Brehon Laws anymore! And shure didn't Marcon lead those Viking longboats over to massacre the monks and the druids.

Jesus Christ you lot are tapped.

Tony EH wrote: »
    This is a very US centric view.

A consequence of far too much internet.

It applies over here as well I'm afraid, not to the same extent as the US of course but I'm speaking about the far ends of each spectrum, the ones who make most of the noise, not Joe or June Bloggs who are just going about their busy lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

immigration is undiscussable (not a word)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No ritualised warfare
    No blood price
    No bondsmaids
    No queens
    No fosterage
    No hostages
    No one who can jump over a hazel wand two metres high without breaking stride
    No one who can run under a hazel wand one metre high without breaking stride

No cattle raiding
    No demigods
    No fairies
    No woodkern
    No glib
    No saffron tunics
    No horse sacrifice

This country is ruined!

Not forgetting sucking the nipple of the King to indicate obedience. they really need to bring that back

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Verona Murphy, Justin Barrett, Gemma O'Doherty etc. are discussing it plenty. If the voters felt strongly enough about it they would be electing that ilk...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Angela Merkel is the reason we don't have the Brehon Laws anymore! And shure didn't Marcon lead those Viking longboats over to massacre the monks and the druids.

Jesus Christ you lot are tapped.

Vikings didnt bring an end to the Brehon laws, not even the Normans did.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,935 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Is he seriously claiming that the Irish language and the Gaeltachts do not exist? Usually people like that just stick to the nebulous culture argument.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Well what's your view on it?

Personally I've never really been bothered by immigrants, I think they're the easiest scapegiats of all.

Granted I think those that come over and cause trouble (ie violent gangs etc), should be sent packing without delay but otherwise I'm not too bothered.

People have always travelled to improve their lives, us Irish have done it in our millions down through the years. It's sad that people often have to leave their homeland for a better life but that's the way it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

But even with this, if they had a voter base that was committed to 'fiscal conservatism' in any profound way, surely they would have stuck with them on the 'best of a bad lot' principle. If the bulk of their voters switched to a FG then closely allied with Labour in 2007, surely they can't have been 'right wing' in any deep sense?

The die was cast for PDs long before 2007.
    The PDS had come to represent puppets keeping FF in power.
    You had a party led by Harney, and all her incestous largese for friends and family, and an arrogant buffoon McDowell.

Trying to privatise our water was right wing.

Deliberately ruining the health service so people are forced to go private to get timely decent standard care is right wing.

Allowing rents and homelessness to spiral is right wing.

Rents spiralled because the bedsits were removed from the equation and they provided huge amount of cheap accommodation, the numbers looking for rental properties increased and the supply was minimal.
    Yes they should have tired to rein in the price gougers but no one could magic up thousands of houses overnight.

BTW I will stick my head over the parapet and say somethings about our homeless numbers.

1. having spent some time in Dublin hotel pre christmas it was noticable the families living there were not Irish.
    Now that is not to say some Irish families are availing of this type of accommodation but the families I saw were definitely not Irish.
    2. some people on housing waiting lists are using homelessness as means of getting pushed to front of queue.
    3. there have always been some homeless people, in probably every country in the world, and there will probably always be homesless people who just cannot keep a roof over their heads.
    Some of these have unfortunately died and were used as a stick to beat government and authorities with.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

is_that_so wrote: »
    Most of the 17% or so come from EU countries and a soon to be ex-EU country and are gainfully employed. I'm not sure what conversation you imagine there is to be had about people who have every right to live here.

On the social end there are questions to look at, for some EU citizens and certainly for those who are non-EU but their numbers are very small in comparison.

Again, I dont really think there is a conversation, bar the constant blaming the government for not building houses is one of the reasons we have a housing "crisis", an increased demand is another, whether this come from Moneygall, Malaysia or Manchester.

Someone asked for the numbers, the article had some

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the meeja and politicians here have themselves to blame, instead of coming at things from a realistic angle, they are scared of offering anyone (except the taxpayers) "wont someone think of the children" mentality! Good luck to the clowns, health is a black hole, housing is now a black hole, when your policy is high property prices and there are a huge amount struggling with housing and you give an option of near free housing ( v expensive housing) you think the pressure will every be taken off? short of a bust, but even if that happens, the banks will tighten up lending a lot. they wont increase lpt, income taxes etc, so its so blatantly obvious, that there is no way, particularly with FF, that they can deliver the fantasy manifesto, its up there with SF comedy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

It's basically gone!.

No Irish language
    No Celtic traditions
    No Brehon law
    No Sean Nos

Unfortunately the Irish are consumed with a profound sense of self loathing and insecurity, particularly the Bourgeoise class. Embarrassed by themselves, embarrassed by their history, they delight in deconstructing their own identity. Many of them have so lost any sense of identity that they wouldn't even understand your position.
    Their sense of identity is merely some vague idea of 'values' which are ultimately completely meaningless.
    Its a sad state of affairs but this is where we are.

Advertisement