Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No right wing alternative= No alternative

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 22 Guava Juice

meeeeh wrote: »
    Yes that's because social welfare is expensive. I don't know of modern European country that doesn't offer some sort of welfare. Maybe you should be born couple of hundred years ago to find a party with conservative enough views.

I said I would like a party that is on the right economically and on the left socially. Fine Gael was suggested as an option that meets those criteria, I am simply pointing out that they don't meet those criteria.

On a separate point, I believe we should avoid the "lemming" philosophy whereby we simply do what others do.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,496 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

immigration is undiscussable (not a word)

Speak for yourself. I find it very discussable (and I'm aagainsted unlimited immigration)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

jmayo wrote: »
    Rents spiralled because the bedsits were removed from the equation and they provided huge amount of cheap accommodation, the numbers looking for rental properties increased and the supply was minimal.
    Yes they should have tired to rein in the price gougers but no one could magic up thousands of houses overnight.

The damage remving bedsits has done to the cost of renting/buying was absolutely immense - I know someone who was a smallscale landlord - they owned a couple of houses divided into bedsits. They weren't making a fortune out of it by any means, but enough to get by.

When the regulations were changed they would have had to completely gut two listed buildings to make all the required changes which would have been economically unviable and because they were listed, probably illegal anyway.

As a result they had to end all those tenancies; 16 people had to look for new homes, some of whom had been happily resident for upwards of 15 years. The houses were sold and are now private homes occupied by single families. For some reason, they are considered perfectly safe for those families to live in, but not for the tenants who lived there before.

The same thing happened all over the country -all those people suddenly needed new homes and suddenly, mysteriously, we had a massive housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,496 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

That's true enough but it's still wealth if not for you then her for your kids.

It's wealth - yes - but that doesn't mean it's income.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

B0jangles wrote: »
    The damage remving bedsits has done to the cost of renting/buying was absolutely immense - I know someone who was a smallscale landlord - they owned a couple of houses divided into bedsits. They weren't making a fortune out of it by any means, but enough to get by.

When the regulations were changed they would have had to completely gut two listed buildings to make all the required changes which would have been economically unviable and because they were listed, probably illegal anyway.

As a result they had to end all those tenancies; 16 people had to look for new homes, some of whom had been happily resident for upwards of 15 years. The houses were sold and are now private homes occupied by single families. For some reason, they are considered perfectly safe for those families to live in, but not for the tenants who lived there before.

The same thing happened all over the country -all those people suddenly needed new homes and suddenly, mysteriously, we had a massive housing crisis.

Yeah it's perfectly safe for two families to live somewhere that was unsafe for 16 people.

No sheeeit Sherlock!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Yeah it's perfectly safe for two families to live somewhere that was unsafe for 16 people.

No sheeeit Sherlock!

They weren't jammed in 15 to a room you know, each person had the space equivalent of at minimum, a decent sized studio flat.

My point was that they went from having a comfortable and affordable home to having no home because the regulations were changed without anyone apparently considering what exactly would happen when all those 'unsafe' bedsits were eliminated.

Now we know - a massive housing crisis would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It applies over here as well I'm afraid, not to the same extent as the US of course but I'm speaking about the far ends of each spectrum, the ones who make most of the noise, not Joe or June Bloggs who are just going about their busy lives.

No. No, it doesn't.

It doesn't even happen that much in America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Tony EH wrote: »
    No. No, it doesn't.

It doesn't even happen that much in America.

Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

It's hard to strike a balance, I certainly don't feel like any party in Ireland represents my views.

Now I'm not a big fan of political labels, I think probably most of us hold a lot of varying views so to say that someone is 'right' or 'left' wing can be a little bit too broad.

Personally I would say I'm right wing economically. I'm not a huge fan of big government, I think our welfare is far too generous and I honestly think there is as much of an entitlement crisis as a homeless crisis in Ireland, I've worked for a housing agency and have seen this first hand! Also I don't hate millionaires even though I'm not one myself.

Socially though I have no interest in the right or left, I'm very individualistic when it comes to social issues (I'm all for free choice so long as you're not harming others). The right is far too religious (can't stand religion) and the left is full of kale consuming snowflakes who love nothing more than being 'offended' by things they know nothing about.

Now I fully supported gay marriage and because I'm pro-life I voted to remove the despicable 8th amendment (I mean why wouldn't I, there's a very strong chance that me and my 3 siblings wouldn't be here if my mother hadn't received a necessary abortion in the 70s).

Ps, but don't agree that people can magically change genders though and I have no time for non-binary rubbish.

So I'm not particularly excited by our current options.

You are tory.

You are Fine Gael.

B0jangles wrote: »

Almost every bedsit was converted, and then some more, into variations of studio apartments.

I don't think the scale of the crisis is apparent to this group.

There are more "bedsit sized" accommodations now than at any other time in history - they just have their own cleaning facilities is all.

• Advertisement

You are tory.

You are Fine Gael.

FG are currently in charge and facilitating the welfare state and they allow the catholic church to run over 90% of our publicly funded primary schools, so no thanks!!

I know sweet fcúk all about the Tories, anyway they're not running any candidates for the Dail so they're of no interest to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Again, I dont really think there is a conversation, bar the constant blaming the government for not building houses is one of the reasons we have a housing "crisis", an increased demand is another, whether this come from Moneygall, Malaysia or Manchester.

Someone asked for the numbers, the article had some
    So what does this conversation look like apart from Ireland for the Irish for the lunatic faction? Will there be any solutions or just moaning about all the immigrants coming in. We legally can't send most of 'em home as some wish. I know about the numbers and as I've said repeatedly predominantly EU. From the horse's mouth.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cpnin/cpnin/

FG are currently in charge and facilitating the welfare state and they allow the catholic church to run over 90% of our publicly funded primary schools, so no thanks!!

They are the main party in a coalition government in a confidence and supply situation.
    Ideological purity is difficult in coalitions.

They inherited the situation of Church control of schools, so, the question is how much money can a fiscally conservative government justify spending to "buy out" the church, acquire additional property and find and recruit the additional staff - all while trying to cut taxes and reduce the size of the government ?
    I know sweet fcúk all about the Tories, anyway they're not running any candidates for the Dail so they're of no interest to me.

FG are the irish Tory Party

don't bother voting. There's no one who represents you.

They are the main party in a coalition government in a confidence and supply situation.
    Ideological purity is difficult in coalitions.

They inherited the situation of Church control of schools, so, the question is how much money can a fiscally conservative government justify spending to "buy out" the church, acquire additional property and find and recruit the additional staff - all while trying to cut taxes and reduce the size of the government ?

I wouldn't be buying anything off the international criminal pedo ring that is the catholic church. The Criminal Assets Bureau should be sent in to appropriate the schools we pay for.

The RCC owes this country an enormous debt for the vile human rights abuses they committed here, it would be outrageous to pay them a red cent of tax payers money for anything.

don't bother voting. There's no one who represents you.

That's a fair point, but the media brainwashing of how 'important' your vote is, is in full swing.

You have 2 options in Ireland for Prime Minister = MM (a Minister in the worst government this country has ever had) or the LV (I can't vote FG for the reasons outlined).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Well what's your view on it?
    immigrants play a massive part in my life story. i am not against immigrants nor do i blame immigrants for any of the countries ills. I do however think it should be perfectly OK to discuss the mechanics of immigration (including limits), integration (or lack there of)and the impact; pros and cons. I would say there are more pros than cons btw, but there must be cons too and these should be open for discussion without being compared Gemma O ****ing doherty.

That's a fair point, but the media brainwashing of how 'important' your vote is, is in full swing.

You have 2 options in Ireland for Prime Minister = MM (a Minister in the worst government this country has ever had) or the LV (I can't vote FG for the reasons outlined).
    Spoil your vote?
    Vote Green maybe?

immigrants play a massive part in my life story. i am not against immigrants nor do i blame immigrants for any of the countries ills. I do however think it should be perfectly OK to discuss the mechanics of immigration (including limits), integration (or lack there of)and the impact; pros and cons. I would say there are more pros than cons btw, but there must be cons too and these should be open for discussion without being compared Gemma O ****ing doherty.

I agree completely, there's no harm in having such a debate, we are a small island at the end of the day, so naturally there's a limit to how many people we can facilitate.

But I have to say, I think the stigma around such a debate has been caused by the far left. They're the ones who shout racist as soon as you even question immigration.

Spoil your vote?
    Vote Green maybe?

Ah look I appreciate the suggestions but to be honest, I think spoiling a vote is a waste of petrol.

As for the Greens, I come from a farming background so I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

Ps, now I know climate change is an issue we all need to be proactive in addressing but the Greens seem quite penal when it comes to farming, I would prefer to see some better solutions from them.

I think they'd cripple a lot of people in rural Ireland if they had their way in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Ah look I appreciate the suggestions but to be honest, I think spoiling a vote is a waste of petrol.

As for the Greens, I come from a farming background so I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

Ps, now I know climate change is an issue we all need to be proactive in addressing but the Greens seem quite penal when it comes to farming, I would prefer to see some better solutions from them.

I think they'd cripple a lot of people in rural Ireland if they had their way in the morning.

You may not like them but a majority FG is probably as close as you would get in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

There's no appetite for hard right/left wing politics in Ireland as we don't want to go down the same toilet that the US and the UK recently have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

I agree completely, there's no harm in having such a debate, we are a small island at the end of the day, so naturally there's a limit to how many people we can facilitate.

But I have to say, I think the stigma around such a debate has been caused by the far left. They're the ones who shout racist as soon as you even question immigration.

At the rally for free speech Antifa scum lunatics were screaming racist and Nazi at everyone, even attacking people.
    The lady who organised it the Barrister Tracy O Mahony has said she has got several death threats from them for what?.

Saying free speech is an important right and important in a legal context.

Heaven forbid!.

Here's a very interesting video.

A bus of leftie lobotomy lunatics bussed down (none can afford cars they don't work see) arrived in Roosky to accuse the locals of being racist and accuse them of arson no less (no proof whatsoever) why?.

Because some locals objected to a direct provision centre being built in their village.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quW1SUWmKPU

This brave lady questioned their motives and whether any of them were actually from Roosky and if not why were they calling the locals racist?.

Lonesome Rhodes why aren't you addressing the lack of cattle raiding and horse sacrifice among our so called betters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

Lonesome Rhodes why aren't you addressing the lack of cattle raiding and horse sacrifice among our so called betters!

In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary

Come again?!

You may not like them but a majority FG is probably as close as you would get in this country

I understand that as well, but there's red line differences that I have with FG, so I can't consider them.

At the rally for free speech Antifa scum lunatics were screaming racist and Nazi at everyone, even attacking people.
    The lady who organised it the Barrister Tracy O Mahony has said she has got several death threats from them for what?.

Saying free speech is an important right and important in a legal context.

Heaven forbid!.

Here's a very interesting video.

A bus of leftie lobotomy lunatics bussed down (none can afford cars they don't work see) arrived in Roosky to accuse the locals of being racist and accuse them of arson no less (no proof whatsoever) why?.

Because some locals objected to a direct provision centre being built in their village.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quW1SUWmKPU

This brave lady questioned their motives and whether any of them were actually from Roosky and if not why were they calling the locals racist?.

They're radical nutjobs, pure and simple.

Both the far right and the far left hate free speech, but I think the far right is more open about their hatred.

The far left are even more pernicious in my view because they parade as do-gooders who only want 'equality for all', but it's conplete bs. If hold a different view to them they will try to destroy you!

Extremists on both sides should be avoided at all costs!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭epo addict

National Party are our best hope

Varadkar flooding Ireland with third world sewer rats

Next Generation will live as a minority

Mod

Banned

There's no appetite for hard right/left wing politics in Ireland as we don't want to go down the same toilet that the US and the UK recently have.

I don't see a hard right party in Ireland (nor would I want to), but as for the hard left you have a couple of parties heading that direction = SF, PBP/AAA.

They are all currently represented in the Dail and will continue to be represented after the next election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭enricoh

I am not anti immigrant at all - bar from thinking you shoudnt be offered a social house without first contributing to socierty - but there are numbers here (likely increased since then) - https://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/david-quinn/huge-scale-of-immigration-is-making-our-housing-crisis-worse-35498057.html

It is something that should be taken into account when discussing issues with services providing, the demand for these have grown massively.

So immigrants are twice as likely to be on rent supplement as native Irish! What an asset to the country, let's take more in!

Advertisement