Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No right wing alternative= No alternative

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Lord Fairlord

Anything to the right of Trotsky in this country is "right-wing".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

They are the main party in a coalition government in a confidence and supply situation.
    Ideological purity is difficult in coalitions.

They inherited the situation of Church control of schools, so, the question is how much money can a fiscally conservative government justify spending to "buy out" the church, acquire additional property and find and recruit the additional staff - all while trying to cut taxes and reduce the size of the government ?

FG are the irish Tory Party

Only gormless idiots trot out that dopey slogan

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

There's no appetite for hard right/left wing politics in Ireland as we don't want to go down the same toilet that the US and the UK recently have.

I'd take centre right

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

At the rally for free speech Antifa scum lunatics were screaming racist and Nazi at everyone, even attacking people.
    The lady who organised it the Barrister Tracy O Mahony has said she has got several death threats from them for what?.

Saying free speech is an important right and important in a legal context.

Heaven forbid!.

Here's a very interesting video.

A bus of leftie lobotomy lunatics bussed down (none can afford cars they don't work see) arrived in Roosky to accuse the locals of being racist and accuse them of arson no less (no proof whatsoever) why?.

Because some locals objected to a direct provision centre being built in their village.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quW1SUWmKPU

This brave lady questioned their motives and whether any of them were actually from Roosky and if not why were they calling the locals racist?.

The thing about these village pretests about direct provision centres is; if instead a new factory was announced with hundreds of jobs there , and more people moving into the locality, they would be welcoming it with open arms.

They wouldn't be out protesting about the lack of school places for kids or GP overcrowding.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

FG are currently in charge and facilitating the welfare state and they allow the catholic church to run over 90% of our publicly funded primary schools, so no thanks!!

I know sweet fcúk all about the Tories, anyway they're not running any candidates for the Dail so they're of no interest to me.
    Exactly. Let me tell you something about the tories. They pay out a ten pound Christmas bonus, they’ve have dealt with their welfare state. That are a right wing party. Fine Gael , are left wing ! I dont even need to have a new party to the right , a centreist one would be better than noting !

• Advertisement

Lads the problem is. A non vote , is as good as a vote for the further left. Because that’s who most will vote for. I’ll vote for the least of a **** lot (fg ) until the day a party here forms that will give many of us a voice

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Stewball

I don't see a hard right party in Ireland (nor would I want to), but as for the hard left you have a couple of parties heading that direction = SF, PBP/AAA.

They are all currently represented in the Dail and will continue to be represented after the next election.

I really dislike the PBP/Solidarity crowd - And I consider myself a leftie.

They're never going to achieve anything. They're just a protest movement and take votes from proper left of centre parties.

If we're ever going to rid ourselves of either a FG or FF government - some sort of left of centre alliance between Labour, Social Democrats & a moderate version of Sinn Fein is needed.

SF remind me of the Corbyn situation in the UK. He had some good ideas - but he was toxic to the majority of voters. The media hated him which made him un-electable - similar to Sinn Fein here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Lads the problem is. A non vote , is as good as a vote for the further left. Because that’s who most will vote for. I’ll vote for the least of a **** lot (fg ) until the day a party here forms that will give many of us a voice

I'd rather spoil my vote

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

And here you are again promoting FG.

You played the long game well good sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I’ll vote for the least of a **** lot (fg )

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058036311

Is this wanton show of reverse psychology for us or you?

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    And here you are again promoting FG.

You played the long game well good sir.

As another poster rightfully gauged. I reluctantly go back to fg , after I saw what ff have In store. Which is only over the last few days they have released their plans ( road2ruin#2) . I’m saying fg are ****, course they are. I’m hardly trying to convince anyone otherwise. Who are you voting for ? I suppose I’m overlooking some great option?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

As another poster rightfully gauged. I reluctantly go back to fg , after I saw what ff have In store. Which is only over the last few days they have released their plans ( road2ruin#2) . I’m saying fg are ****, course they are. I’m hardly trying to convince anyone otherwise. Who are you voting for ? I suppose I’m overlooking some great option?

"Reluctantly" as you claim FG are the one to vote for in as many times in as many threads as you can the last few days.

pjohnson wrote: »
    "Reluctantly" as you claim FG are the one to vote for in as many times in as many threads as you can the last few days.
    yes, the options are ****e. Ill vote for the party that I deem to be least on the left...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,496 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ah look I appreciate the suggestions but to be honest, I think spoiling a vote is a waste of petrol.

No - I used to think that, but it's still a registered opinion. Not voting is no opinion.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Now I'm not a big fan of political labels....

I think probably most of us hold a lot of varying views so to say that someone is 'right' or 'left' wing can be a little bit too broad.

Folowed by...
    The right is far too religious (can't stand religion) and the left is full of kale consuming snowflakes who love nothing more than being 'offended' by things they know nothing about.

So yeah... tell me more about how you don't like political labels? And I'm guessing you're also going to tell me you dont' care for simplistic generalised stereotypes...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

No - I used to think that, but it's still a registered opinion. Not voting is no opinion.

See I disagree, I just don't believe in voting for the sake of it. I think if you don't like any of the options but you vote anyway then you have no right to complain.

See I disagree, I just don't believe in voting for the sake of it. I think if you don't like any of the options but you vote anyway then you have no right to complain.

But spoiling your vote is not voting. Voting for a candidate you don't like becaue none of them appeal to you is voting for the sake of it.

If you vote for someone and that person gets in, thayt would be more of case of having no right to complain.

Folowed by...

So yeah... tell me more about how you don't like political labels? And I'm guessing you're also going to tell me you dont' care for simplistic generalised stereotypes...?

I should clarify that I'm talking about the more extreme ends of the scale when it comes to those sort of people. The average centre right/left person are generally ok, I know plenty of them either side.

We may disagree on many things but I always prefer to remain civil, a blazing row generally doesn't produce positive results.

Now lots of people love labels, personally I don't attach too many to myself because I prefer not to. Again I think most average Joe's and Mary's hold wide ranging views so to simply say 'I'm left or right wing' is a little too broad in my view.

But perhaps you disagree and I have no issue with that.

Stewball wrote: »
    I really dislike the PBP/Solidarity crowd - And I consider myself a leftie.

They're never going to achieve anything. They're just a protest movement and take votes from proper left of centre parties.

If we're ever going to rid ourselves of either a FG or FF government - some sort of left of centre alliance between Labour, Social Democrats & a moderate version of Sinn Fein is needed.

SF remind me of the Corbyn situation in the UK. He had some good ideas - but he was toxic to the majority of voters. The media hated him which made him un-electable - similar to Sinn Fein here.

Yes I agree that PBP/Solidarity are more of a noisy protest group than a serious political party.

I think if you consider yourself left thinking then probably Labour and the Social Democrats are your best bet.

Personally though I would have a deep distrust and distain for Sinn Fein, there's no way I would ever consider them for a vote.

I should clarify that I'm talking about the more extreme ends of the scale when it comes to those sort of people. The average centre right/left person are generally ok, I know plenty of them either side.

We may disagree on many things but I always prefer to remain civil, a blazing row generally doesn't produce positive results.

Now lots of people love labels, personally I don't attach too many to myself because I prefer not to. Again I think most average Joe's and Mary's hold wide ranging views so to simply say 'I'm left or right wing' is a little too broad in my view.

But perhaps you disagree and I have no issue with that.

Oh you get the oddjobs on both sides of the extreme, I agree, but right/religion and left/kale-eating snowflakes goes beyond "remaining civil".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

One thing that strikes me about this election is the idea people are voting for change well their really isn't any!.

All left left left and more left parties.

Not one mainstream party in Ireland is even remotely right so how can you have choice if what you vote for is all the same?.

Not a cigarette papers worth of difference between

Fine Gael/ Fianna Fail/ Greens/People before profit/Sinn Fein/Labour etc etc
    For example
    They all support the EU
    they all support abortion,
    all support mass immigration into Ireland (in fact won't discuss it at all under any circumstances)
    Not one will ask for public referendum on issues
    Refuse to acknowledge billions so far has been spent on direct provision centres while the downtrodden poor Irish people die on the streets
    Refuse to question the money doctors get from pharmaceutical firms,
    refuse to acknowledge the billions Ireland has in oil and gas etc etc etc

You seem confused, half the things you outline above aren't "right" or "left" issues and several of them are actually left wing ideas!

There is nothing inherently right or left about "supporting" the EU. The EU is basically a customs and trading union. The most right wing government in Europe is Hungary and their leader has stated repeatedly that they have no intention to leave or to attempt to leave the EU.

"Refuse to question the money doctors get from pharmaceutical firms". This is a left wing issue. The idea that government should regulate payments made to doctors by corporations is 100% a "leftie" idea. As I say, you seem confused.

Abortion is not a left/right issue. Tons of people on the libertarian branch of the right fervently support a woman's right to choose while numerous people WITHIN the Church would categorize themselves as "left" in regard to social justice, supporting the welfare state, immigration rights, etc. etc. Again. this isn't a right/left issue.

Asking for referendums on issues isn't right/left either. Not sure why you are all for this since if there were referendums on the two main things you seem to care about: abortion and EU membership the populace would not be voting the way you want them to. We just had a referendum on abortion by the way - how did that work out?

I could go on. The point is that right wing parties don't exist because there is no demand for them. Ireland is a CENTRIST nation, most people vote on the principle of individual parties policies in regards to healthcare, job creation, tax policy etc. Things are far from perfect here, but our approach to politics is MASSIVELY superior to that of the US where I live, where people increasingly vote on left/right IDEOLOGY and ignore the individual policies of the parties. This has given rise to an idiotic political discourse and a system of government that is consistently failing the population. I think most Irish people are smart enough not to want that here - hence the reason that ideology based parties largely don't exist here thank God.

Oh you get the oddjobs on both sides of the extreme, I agree, but right/religion and left/kale-eating snowflakes goes beyond "remaining civil".

Well that's how I see the far right and far left, but I don't engage with those, nuthin' to be had from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

FF and FG left wing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Why do we only get left and right?

Why create a false polarized paradigm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

Why do we only get left and right?

Why create a false polarized paradigm?

It's more nuanced this is a nice primer

www.politicalcompass.org

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭ghost of ireland past

People have conflicting ideas which defy categorisation.

For example, some people support public housing, a universal basic income, free public health, and cannabis legalisation but also closed borders, and facial recognition cameras everywhere to prevent crime.

In the future there'll be no work, which is a great thing.
    What will people do then, and what will they want?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

It's more nuanced this is a nice primer

www.politicalcompass.org

Something wrong here, I came up strongly left/slightly libertarian yet according to some I'm supposedly Far Right!!

Screen-Shot-2020-01-23-at-22-28-31.png

Well that's how I see the far right and far left, but I don't engage with those, nuthin' to be had from it.

But again, that's a massive generalisation: first you said left/right, now it's far left/far right. There is also centrist and moderate, and probably loads of different levels in between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

Something wrong here, I came up strongly left/slightly libertarian yet according to some I'm supposedly Far Right!!

Screen-Shot-2020-01-23-at-22-28-31.png
    In what way are you far right ?

• Advertisement

But again, that's a massive generalisation: first you said left/right, now it's far left/far right. There is also centrist and moderate, and probably loads of different levels in between.

Well as a matter of interest what do you consider yourself if anything?

I agree there are loads of differing views and that they probably represent the majority (rather than the minority if noisy extremists), that's my point.

Advertisement