Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No right wing alternative= No alternative

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

meeeeh wrote: »
    Peter Casey was the candidate who got traction against Michael D. It was protest vote against presidential coronation, his statements just got him attention. He lost in European Elections and he will loose in this election (I think he is running in Leo's constituency).

Shows there is votes there for people with balls and who aren't politically correct ie drones sprouting the same shyte

• Registered Users Posts: 12,847 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Shows there is votes there for people with balls and who aren't politically correct ie drones sprouting the same shyte

Wake up sheeple!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

He was not elected in presidential or EU elections and he won't be elected now. My oh voted for him in presidential election because he can't stand Michael D. He still thinks Peter Casey is an idiot and will vote for one of the main parties as he always does. You are overstating Casey's vote. There are plenty of people who were unhappy that Michael D was not opposed by main parties and that election result doesn't mean much.

Edit: I actually didn't realise he also runs in Donegal so he might get in but as one of fringe independents.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You get that figure from the Irish times?. That's a figure on what was spent already and was a VERY conservative figure runs well into the billions now.

Let's say it was 1.3 billion for arguments sake.

How many houses that build or jobs that create for Irish citizens?.

Hell you could buy the lads sleeping rough in Dublin city mansions in Foxrock for that kinda money let alone the billions more spent on direct provision!.

Why is the government housing folk from the middle East over Irish citizens?.

Genuine question.
    Well, if you can dig up proof of the billions I might believe you. I don't think we see things the same way at all. None of these things I find offensive in any way although direct provision is long past being overhauled. As for your last question they are doing both, except our one is more intractable and will take a lot more time. I doubt you can find any way to demonstrate the ME project has had a direct effect on anything here.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

briany wrote: »
    Why does it feel like 9 out of 10 recent reg's on Boards are mad right-wing heads?

There is the reason we don't have any right wing alternative (or even remotely right leaning), mention anything that is not left leaning and you are "mad"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Enough votes to loose repeatedly.

Casey is the most successful failure ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

briany wrote: »
    Why does it feel like 9 out of 10 recent reg's on Boards are mad right-wing heads?
    Because many of these unfortunate right wingers are shut ins who suffer from some sort of social anxiety. The stupider ones are easy prey for right wing grifters.

There is the reason we don't have any right wing alternative (or even remotely right leaning), mention anything that is not left leaning and you are "mad"

Just the non stop brainwashing by the media pal.

Like a communist merry go round the whole thing!.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Why do you ignore the Irish Freedom Party and Irish National Party?

Are they "too lefty" for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Yeah that's it, everyone who disagrees with you must be brainwashed. After all your political views are sensible so everyone should agree with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I see we can add communism to the growing list of things you don't actually know the meaning of.

I see we can add communism to the growing list of things you don't actually know the meaning of.

Too much time on Twitter. The world in selective retweets and 280 characters or less.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well, if you can dig up proof of the billions I might believe you. I don't think we see things the same way at all. None of these things I find offensive in any way although direct provision is long past being overhauled. As for your last question they are doing both, except our one is more intractable and will take a lot more time. I doubt you can find any way to demonstrate the ME project has had a direct effect on anything here.

So you think the billions spent on direct provision couldn't house one homeless Irish citizen?. :rolleyes:

Isn't that's a direct effect?.

You strike me as someone who refuses to acknowledge any truth in relation to it as it goes against your long held beliefs.

Doesn't require much evidence to see the billions direct provision costs, was in the Irish times, department of justice website on google search etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭victor8600

So you think [some money] spent on direct provision couldn't house one homeless Irish citizen?. :rolleyes:....

I think you would find that homeless Irish citizens prefer to live on the streets of Dublin rather than in a direct provision centre at Lissywollen
    700px-Direct_Provision_centre%2C_Athlone.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Whatever happened to the Hibernian magazine?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

So you think the billions spent on direct provision couldn't house one homeless Irish citizen?. :rolleyes:

How much?
    Present an actual figure, rather than waffle on about the billions spent.

You seem very intent on painting provision for refugees and asylum seekers as a them versus us scenario, why?

Is it not appropriate for Ireland to provide at least rudimentary accommodation for those who try and avail of the asylum process?

You strike me as someone who refuses to acknowledge any truth in relation to it as it goes against your long held beliefs.

Doesn't require much evidence to see the billions direct provision costs, was in the Irish times, department of justice website on google search etc etc.

What makes you think any money freed up from direct provision by a conservative right wing government would go towards helping the homeless? It's much more likely the money would go to helping their wealthy pals.

This nonsense of pitting the needy against each other turns my stomach. There's plenty of money available to help anyone in need if we take it from the very wealthy. Helping someone in need, regardless of where they're from, should be a much higher priority than some rich twat buying their 5th or 6th car/house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

They pop up every few years and never get a significant amount of votes because the vast majority of the country have no time for a full-on right wing party.

It could be argued that the likes of the National Party, Renua, Aontu etc don't get their fair share of air-time to put their ideas to the marketplace. That the people who mainly hear what those outfits are offering are those of us who have a reasonable interest in politics.

I mean, SocDems are on what, 2%? However, they're treated as if they're one of the main parties it would seem. Certainly given coverage beyond what their poll-ratings would warrant. We also have Peter Caseys much talked about Presidential performance. So I think there's an audience. Though it is still very small.

I feel that ~10% 'Ind/Otheres' category could be used to sweep the support for those right wing parties under the rug. Maybe thats not possible and I'm wrong, I'm certainly open to that possibility.

victor8600 wrote: »
    I think you would find that homeless Irish citizens prefer to live on the streets of Dublin rather than in a direct provision centre at Lissywollen

Yet Irish people pay a fortune to go on holidays in these things every summer.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Diceicle wrote: »
    It could be argued that the likes of the National Party, Renua, Aontu etc don't get their fair share of air-time to put their ideas to the marketplace. That the people who mainly hear what those outfits are offering are those of us who have a reasonable interest in politics.

I mean, SocDems are on what, 2%? However, they're treated as if they're one of the main parties it would seem. Certainly given coverage beyond what their poll-ratings would warrant. We also have Peter Caseys much talked about Presidential performance. So I think there's an audience. Though it is still very small.

I feel that ~10% 'Ind/Otheres' category could be used to sweep the support for those right wing parties under the rug. Maybe thats not possible and I'm wrong, I'm certainly open to that possibility.

All the parties you mention got plenty of airtime when they were launched. The airtime quickly faded once it became apparent that no one actually cared in the slightest about their policies - which should hardly be a surprise since two of the mentioned partie's policies were effectively limited to "we're (existing party) but we're against abortion".

Peter Casey got a huge amount of airtime during the presidential election considering his sole policy had absolutely nothing to do with the office he was running for.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The Nal wrote: »
    Yet Irish people pay a fortune to go on holidays in these things every summer.

giphy.gif

staying in one for 2 weeks while the weather is good is a nice novelty. living in the things year round must be miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'm asking you to prove that it's an actual figure. You haven't managed to do that by any stretch of the imagination. The housing issue is no longer about money, it's about building i.e. not enough of it going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

There's no demand. It's been tried down the years - and is still being tried now - from Renua to Libertas to Anontú, people don't want to vote for these cranks.

Religious, religious, religious. Theres lots of apetite for a fiscally conservative party, its why FG got in pledging to abolish USC and tackle welfare fraud, but the second it becomes catholic pro life their appeal dissapears.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Religious, religious, religious. Theres lots of apetite for a fiscally conservative party, its why FG got in pledging to abolish USC and tackle welfare fraud, but the second it becomes catholic pro life their appeal dissapears.

and yet one does not exist. you would imagine somebody would form one given this "appetite"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

and yet one does not exist. you would imagine somebody would form one given this "appetite"

Were all too busy working and cant deal with the pay cut ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

It's much more likely the money would go to helping their wealthy pals.

This is what the DP system basically does. Local gombeen men unwilling to put a cent into renovating their clapped out rural hotel can just get their mates in government to fill it with asylum seekers at the taxpayers expense and shout down any criticism as racism. That's before we even look at the asylum appeals gravy train down the four courts or the cushy quango positions divvied out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Diceicle wrote: »
    It could be argued that the likes of the National Party, Renua, Aontu etc don't get their fair share of air-time to put their ideas to the marketplace.

But surely there has to be some minimal level of development to justify the inclusion of a party on Prime Time panel discussions etc.? I mean Renua have no elected representatives at all. If they're entitled to a platform, why not a group of students who set up an Irish branch of the Monster Raving Loony Party for a laugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Ireland is rather unusual politically really. Usually the most nationalist parties are of the right, but here they've always been left, and hard left at that.

The reason there's no right wing parties is that theres no market for them - any good or popular ideas get taken by the two large parties. That, and they tend to be run by people who largely are cranks.

The last respectable right wing party was the Progressive Democrats, and they ended up becoming an irrelevance.

The media hated the PD s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

meeeeh wrote: »
    Left wing position would be more social housing provided by state not offloaded to the private sector and charities. Similar health which is often provided privately for profit or some by charities. I grew up in left wing country, none of the main parties in Ireland are overly left wing. Maybe some of the loony left. It's absolutely ridiculous to claim Irish housing policy is left wing. Maybe if you are one of American Evangelicals but anyone from continental Europe will tell you there is very little on the left in Ireland.

Tenants have extraordinarily strong rights in Ireland, that's a left wing position

Advertisement