Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No right wing alternative= No alternative

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

I'm socially liberal - pro choice, pro same sex marriage. Don't tell anyone how they should live their lives.

Economically I'm right wing. I detest the huge "give me something for nothing" gang. SF and their looney economic policy make me laugh. FF/FG are too left economically for me.

"The most terrifying words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help" -Ronald Reagan

Who do I give my vote to?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Renua had a platform when Lucinda was in parliament. They were invited to debates, unlike Soc Dems they didn't retain their seats so I don't know why would they deserve continuous exposure. Tobin will get exposure this time but if he doesn't retain his seats then in future elections he won't get the attention. If you want every crack pot to get attention then Healy Raes should get more national considering their numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The media hated the PD s

They were media darlings when they were first formed in the 80s. Michael McDowell was incredibly haughty and an instinctual Neo-Thatcherite, he turned them into 'the nasty party' and their stock fell big-time when he was leader.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Bit fascist of you eh 'Thankfully no alternative'.

I'd like to think people can and should have choice rather than have no choice!.

Choice is desperately important actually.

Thankfully you aren't in charge, everyone must agree on everything.

Yes there is a desire for it,

I can assure you.

People the length of Ireland once they find out billions of taxpayers money spent on direct provision and billions more to be spent on it they question more and want REAL change.

They simply never hear of it from the brainwashing media or all the left leaning parties.
    Most simply don't know!.

People have a choice, and they made it. If you don’t like the parties available go ahead and set up one with all the likeminded people you can find.

But don’t be surprised when no one votes for you. Just like Renua etc.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Brian? wrote: »
    People have a choice, and they made it. If you don’t like the parties available go ahead and set up one with all the likeminded people you can find.

But don’t be surprised when no one votes for you. Just like Renua etc.

they could probably fit all those likeminded people in a phonebox. assuming they could find a phonebox.

• Advertisement

Tenants have extraordinarily strong rights in Ireland, that's a left wing position

I presume there is some comparative study that supports your claim.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they could probably fit all those likeminded people in a phonebox. assuming they could find a phonebox.

Ah I don’t know. How many people were at the IREXIT meeting last year? 50 or so? I’d say they fill a decent sized country pub. It’s be the least craic ever that night though.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

banie01 wrote: »
    How much?
    Present an actual figure, rather than waffle on about the billions spent.

You seem very intent on painting provision for refugees and asylum seekers as a them versus us scenario, why?

Is it not appropriate for Ireland to provide at least rudimentary accommodation for those who try and avail of the asylum process?

No Ireland owes these people NOTHING same as if I landed in their country why would I assume it owes me a living?. :confused:

It's not us vs them those are your words NOT mine.

I'm saying a country should look after it's own citizens first why do people have such a big problem with this? Why can't you even say this?.

If you had bedrooms to spare would you offer them to other people first instead of your own family?.

Of course not.

Anyway these folk aren't coming from war torn countries very very very few of them are.
    Again this is mainstream news as the Irish Times article below highlights.

There is umpteen articles on the billions it costs the taxpayer.

You obviously don't know what an asylum seeker is. Very few people are asylum seekers as such lately no wars in their countries for a start.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/increased-funding-to-meet-rising-prison-and-direct-provision-numbers-1.4044065

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/in-20-years-direct-provision-has-cost-ireland-1-3bn-is-there-a-better-alternative-1.4089971

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/concern-over-rise-in-people-seeking-asylum-from-safe-countries-1.3986377?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fcrime-and-law%2Fconcern-over-rise-in-people-seeking-asylum-from-safe-countries-1.3986377

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

No Ireland owes these people NOTHING same as if I landed in their country why would I assume it owes me a living?. :confused:

It's not us vs them those are your words NOT mine.

I'm saying a country should look after it's own citizens first why do people have such a big problem with this? Why can't you even say this?.

If you had bedrooms to spare would you offer them to other people first instead of your own family?.

Of course not.

Anyway these folk aren't coming from war torn countries very very very few of them are.

There is umpteen articles on the billions it costs the taxpayer.

You obviously don't know what an asylum seeker is. Very few people are asylum seekers as such lately no wars in their countries for a start.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/increased-funding-to-meet-rising-prison-and-direct-provision-numbers-1.4044065

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/in-20-years-direct-provision-has-cost-ireland-1-3bn-is-there-a-better-alternative-1.4089971

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/concern-over-rise-in-people-seeking-asylum-from-safe-countries-1.3986377?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fcrime-and-law%2Fconcern-over-rise-in-people-seeking-asylum-from-safe-countries-1.3986377

My words, but it's quite clearly your position given the bolded statement on your part.

So you are looking for a party that would promote Xenophobia and outright racism?

I notice that you have once again swerved providing any number for the billions you have mentioned.
    Why is that?

Is it because at current spending rates it would amount to €1bln every @9yrs?
    Along with the construction of new DP centres meaning that spend is likely to drop?

You are now making it a family issue?
    As I should offer my spare bedrooms to kin, rather than stranger...

Seems completely at odds with the good Christian values so many want us to hold dear to?

Looking after our own 1st, is the polite way to be racist.
    Its saying ah shut, our own are suffering we should send those who aren't "us" away.

Who decides what "us" is?
    You?
    Your new political party?

I've funnily enough cz lived abroad and found myself in need of the social security supports and assistance available in a foreign clime.

Should I have been excluded from that support?
    Or now that I've blown back into Ireland, should I be excluded from societal supports because I was away long enough to not be one of "us"?

How about you lay out the justification for your "billions" claim?
    How about you lay out the criteria for what will count towards being Irish enough to qualify for services in your right wing utopia?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,847 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Hang on. I thought the mainstream news were untrustworthy liars?

To quote yourself - "brainwashing media"

But now you trust them and didn't earlier. How so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

meeeeh wrote: »
    I presume there is some comparative study that supports your claim.

Stop paying rent in Germany and you won't get to brazen it out for two years, nor will you get to walk away if you trash the place

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

I'm socially liberal - pro choice, pro same sex marriage. Don't tell anyone how they should live their lives.

Economically I'm right wing. I detest the huge "give me something for nothing" gang. SF and their looney economic policy make me laugh. FF/FG are too left economically for me.
    This is just Randian - Fine Gael too left wing?
    How ?
    "The most terrifying words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help" -Ronald Reagan

Is that what you say tot he Guards, Ambulance, Fire Service or Mountain Rescue ?

Direct Democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Brian? wrote: »
    Ah I don’t know. How many people were at the IREXIT meeting last year? 50 or so? I’d say they fill a decent sized country pub. It’s be the least craic ever that night though.

The meeting where nigel farage spoke almost filled out the side room of the RDS , atleast 300 people. Now that had more to do with nigel than the idea of ireland leaving the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Is that what you say tot he Guards, Ambulance, Fire Service or Mountain Rescue ?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Absolutely. That's why you sometimes seem this big disconnect between their grassroots and supporters and leadership - as with the Paddy Holohan thing.

It's was a big headache for the leadership, but the majority or Sinn Fein supporters I saw at least were defending him.

Nobody defended him. He's a twit and not fit to govern in any capacity. He wasn't being racist or homophobic. If Varadkar were single, straight and of French lineage the same points would stand. Stupid points yeah.
    The follow on sexist stuff was another thing.

So if I'm reading the SF criticism correctly, they are in support of immigrants coming in, bad, they are racist at grassroots level, bad. Seems legit ;)

I think the Irish are overall too decent to have a U.S style Republican or Alt-Right movement of any size. Casey is a great example or that style of politics, (U.S. Republicanism).

Stop paying rent in Germany and you won't get to brazen it out for two years, nor will you get to walk away if you trash the place

British expat writing here might disagree.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatlife/11417359/Germany-the-country-where-renting-is-a-dream.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

The Nal wrote: »
    Hang on. I thought the mainstream news were untrustworthy liars?

To quote yourself - "brainwashing media"

But now you trust them and didn't earlier. How so?

They are untrustworthy liars the figure is probably several times greater in reality!.

Despite me being very cynical of the media I can still use them as a point of reference.

Sure you criticize something and still use the service. Everyone does!.
    People always whinge about Ryanair yet still use them.

Im not sure what more evidence the other poster wants the IT article mentions a report from the department of justice 1.36 billion spent so Far on accommodation expenditure, €120 million in 2019 alone and hundreds of millions more over the next years (exceeding €2 billion in a few years).

Department of justice figures show direct provision costing at least €1.36 billion taxpayers money and over €2 billion in total over the next few years.

Figures are there in the report would you like the link to it?.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Department of justice figures show direct provision costing at least €1.36 billion taxpayers money For 20 yrs of the provision to date and over €2 billion in total over the next few years. at current projected spending rates it will reach €2 billion in year 29 of direct provisions existence

Why are you misrepresenting the figures to appear as if it is an immediate spend of "billions"?
    The rebuttal of your nonsense is in bold above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

I'm in the same boat. We have a choice among bad, worse, and the downright insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ireland is rather unusual politically really. Usually the most nationalist parties are of the right, but here they've always been left, and hard left at that.

The reason there's no right wing parties is that theres no market for them - any good or popular ideas get taken by the two large parties. That, and they tend to be run by people who largely are cranks.

The last respectable right wing party was the Progressive Democrats, and they ended up becoming an irrelevance.

The PDs basically sold out to keep FF in power.
    Also to soem degree the likes of FF and FG took their clothes and this eroded their unique selling point.
    Added to that they had major political figures that guaranteed seats in certain areas and when they left the scene they lost seats.

Peter Casey was the candidate who got traction against Michael D. It was protest vote against presidential coronation, his statements just got him attention. He lost in European Elections and he will loose in this election (I think he is running in Leo's constituency).
    He was not elected in presidential or EU elections and he won't be elected now. My oh voted for him in presidential election because he can't stand Michael D. He still thinks Peter Casey is an idiot and will vote for one of the main parties as he always does. You are overstating Casey's vote. There are plenty of people who were unhappy that Michael D was not opposed by main parties and that election result doesn't mean much.

Edit: I actually didn't realise he also runs in Donegal so he might get in but as one of fringe independents.
    pjohnson wrote: »
    Enough votes to loose repeatedly.

Casey is the most successful failure ever.

The thing you guys refuse to contenance or acknowledge is how a really poor candidate did so well particularly in presidential election even though every other party was against him.
    The incumbent had the blessing of three of the biggest four parties and almost the entire media was viciously attacking Casey and making him out to be the nearest thing to hitler.

Imagine if he was eloquent, could put across very coherent arguments.

Casey came fourht in first preference votes in EU election behind FG McGuinnes (incumbent and very well known), Carthy (all of shinner border heartland country in this constituency) and Ming Flanagan (well known and seen as for the farmers/rural voters).

The surprising one was Maria Walsh.

But Casey got over 56,000 votes.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Pretty much my position. I would classify myself as a classical liberal. I cannot find a single candidate that is in favour of reducing the size of government. As a a nation we have created a never-ending beast that takes more power & money away from its citizens every decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

jmayo wrote: »
    The PDs basically sold out to keep FF in power.

But even with this, if they had a voter base that was committed to 'fiscal conservatism' in any profound way, surely they would have stuck with them on the 'best of a bad lot' principle. If the bulk of their voters switched to a FG then closely allied with Labour in 2007, surely they can't have been 'right wing' in any deep sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

One thing that strikes me about this election is the idea people are voting for change well their really isn't any!.

All left left left and more left parties.

Not one mainstream party in Ireland is even remotely right so how can you have choice if what you vote for is all the same?.

Not a cigarette papers worth of difference between

Fine Gael/ Fianna Fail/ Greens/People before profit/Sinn Fein/Labour etc etc
    For example
    They all support the EU
    they all support abortion,
    all support mass immigration into Ireland (in fact won't discuss it at all under any circumstances)
    Not one will ask for public referendum on issues
    Refuse to acknowledge billions so far has been spent on direct provision centres while the downtrodden poor Irish people die on the streets
    Refuse to question the money doctors get from pharmaceutical firms,
    refuse to acknowledge the billions Ireland has in oil and gas etc etc etc

They are all basically the same, left leaning gombeens lining their own pockets making fools of the general public.

Worst is them hardcore Marxist parties that come out with stupid names like People before profit or Anti Austerity alliance, amazed such newspeak buzzword simplicity works on people.
    All mindless leftie nonsense.

The only right wing party in Ireland I can think of is the National party and they are tiny and will never ever get media coverage. Not that I agree with them on everything a few bits.

(sigh waits for the mindless screaming of racist this and that)

I like some right wing policies ie

Small accountable government.

Pro life- Believe it or not some people believe life is still sacred

Look after our own citizens first, if we can't look after our own how can we possibly look after tens of thousands of other people?.

A return to our own heritage. This is something often over looked in Ireland, we need to value our history culture and language. Easier said than done in a country where the vast majority of people don't speak the native tongue in fact openly desipise and dismiss it but we can make a start.

Hate to see Ireland become a meaningless vassel state to the EU which all mainstream parties support as they will not question the EU on anything!.

So with no right wing alternative how is this General Election offering ANY alternative?.

Bit of a joke if you ask me. ;)

You have just made me realise, our main political parties aren't all that bad.
    That's just democracy at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭enricoh

banie01 wrote: »
    Why are you misrepresenting the figures to appear as if it is an immediate spend of "billions"?
    The rebuttal of your nonsense is in bold above.

Any figures out there for what asylum seekers allowed stay here have cost the taxpayer over the last 20 years? Housing, welfare etc.
    The direct provision spend is likely to be a pittance in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

So you think the billions spent on direct provision couldn't house one homeless Irish citizen?. :rolleyes:

Isn't that's a direct effect?.

You strike me as someone who refuses to acknowledge any truth in relation to it as it goes against your long held beliefs.

Doesn't require much evidence to see the billions direct provision costs, was in the Irish times, department of justice website on google search etc etc.

Please provide these figures for us since you know them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Trying to privatise our water was right wing.

Deliberately ruining the health service so people are forced to go private to get timely decent standard care is right wing.

Allowing rents and homelessness to spiral is right wing.

Bringing in free labor Jobbridge scheme and activation/harrassment Jobpath scheme from UK companies is right wing.

Bringing back college fees was right wing, as was cutting the grants, bringing in charges for prescriptions, taking away dental cleanings from medical card patients.

These were all decisions by our current gov. If you want something more right wing than them, perhaps there isn't an alternative, but that's because only very few people actually desire a systematic annihilation of the poor by decreasing their access to education and affordable housing and medical care. You could always move to England the Tories are in charge over there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

... taking away dental cleanings from medical card patients.

American: "...he started to build a massive wall, put kids in cages, banned Muslims from entering the country, and almost started a war with Iran. What did your right-wingers do?"

Irishman: "THEY TOOK AWAY OUR DENTAL CLEANINGS!"

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Trying to privatise our water was right wing.

Deliberately ruining the health service so people are forced to go private to get timely decent standard care is right wing.

Allowing rents and homelessness to spiral is right wing.

Bringing in free labor Jobbridge scheme and activation/harrassment Jobpath scheme from UK companies is right wing.

Bringing back college fees was right wing, as was cutting the grants, bringing in charges for prescriptions, taking away dental cleanings from medical card patients.

These were all decisions by our current gov. If you want something more right wing than them, perhaps there isn't an alternative, but that's because only very few people actually desire a systematic annihilation of the poor by decreasing their access to education and affordable housing and medical care. You could always move to England the Tories are in charge over there

Have to agree, surely the problem is the absence of a left wing opposition, thread title is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

American: "...he started to build a massive wall, put kids in cages, banned Muslims from entering the country, and almost started a war with Iran. What did your right-wingers do?"

Irishman: "THEY TOOK AWAY OUR DENTAL CLEANINGS!"
    None of the American things are economically right wing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

They are untrustworthy liars the figure is probably several times greater in reality!.

Despite me being very cynical of the media I can still use them as a point of reference.

Sure you criticize something and still use the service. Everyone does!.
    People always whinge about Ryanair yet still use them.

Im not sure what more evidence the other poster wants the IT article mentions a report from the department of justice 1.36 billion spent so Far on accommodation expenditure, €120 million in 2019 alone and hundreds of millions more over the next years (exceeding €2 billion in a few years).

Department of justice figures show direct provision costing at least €1.36 billion taxpayers money and over €2 billion in total over the next few years.

Figures are there in the report would you like the link to it?.

So not billions and billions every year then?

Would you like to admit to lying now?

Advertisement