Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No right wing alternative= No alternative

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

topper75 wrote: »
    Bungalows, hurling, pints, saying 'Jaysus'.

Don't like it? Leave.

I hate hurling, prefer a Paddys to a guinness, live in a two storey gaff, prefer saying "'sake" to jaysus.. I better move asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I hate hurling, prefer a Paddys to a guinness, live in a two storey gaff, prefer saying "'sake" to jaysus.. I better move asap!

Are you sure you don't prefer drinking "sake" too?:P

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Maybe the €1.36 billion spent on direct provision accomodation alone could house a few of those homeless Irish citizens?.
    It's not an either/or - we can do both.

The successive failures of governments over the last 20+ years to build adequate social housing to meet demand is the root of the problem, not the <7,000 asylum seekers you so are so desperate to demonise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭ghost of ireland past

Why don't people hold the government to account?

By marching on them in their homes in case there's any doubt as to how it should be done.

We need a national movement, Concerned Citizens against Terrible Politicians, and we march on politicians houses and demand answers.

At the moment Irish people's concerns are ignored by politicians.

Why is this?

We need to take back accountability, by any means necessary.

I did not vote for the whole world to take up residence in Ireland, and I want politicians to explain themselves.

Why are there so many homeless and people on trolleys?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

We knocked down a load of ghost estates after the crash, these should have been taken into council control and completed, then offered to those on the housing list.

The problem we have then is none of the subsidised house brigade are willing to move to where these would have been (unfortunately only working poor can be told to buy away from their family and commute) and no party will tackle the system which says you must have a tie to an area to apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

That happened to Howlin and it happened to some pro divorce people in the Alice Glenn days.

By marching on them in their homes in case there's any doubt as to how it should be done.

We need a national movement, Concerned Citizens against Terrible Politicians, and we march on politicians houses and demand answers.

Why is this?

I did not vote for the whole world to take up residence in Ireland, and I want politicians to explain themselves.

We knocked down a load of ghost estates after the crash, these should have been taken into council control and completed, then offered to those on the housing list.

The problem we have then is none of the subsidised house brigade are willing to move to where these would have been (unfortunately only working poor can be told to buy away from their family and commute) and no party will tackle the system which says you must have a tie to an area to apply.
    Working poor should all have council houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

They do. Its called "voting". You know, democracy.

Thats dangerous and extremely stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

That happened to Howlin and it happened to some pro divorce people in the Alice Glenn days.

And to Simon Harris just last year

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

Why is this?

Not every person has the same concern as you.
    Many concerns are addressed, many are not.

There is an obvious "means" - in a democracy you can throw out bad politicians. You have an opportunity to do so shortly.
    You appear to be threatening violence. That's madness.

Good job that didn't happen.
    Who did you actually vote for though?

The right wing answer to this is that those people should go private and stop scrounging off the state. There would be no housing crisis, just bums on the street who are too lazy to get a job
    There would be no hospital waiting list, because poor people wouldn't be able to afford care.

The right wing solution is the selfish individual fends for themselves with no state support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    .....and nothing to do with policies such as austerity, bailing out bankrupt banks that caused an overheated building boom by flooding the planet with cheap credit, driving up asset prices, in particular housing?

Anglo should have been let go, the rest had to be saved, banks were saved all over Europe

Our banking bailout choices were largely the right ones, Brian lenehan was a great minister for finance and Public servant

• Registered Users Posts: 33,495 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Why is this?

Do that and you'll have everyone moaning about the protesters because they can't get to their favourite pub, you know that as well las I do.

----

The problem isn't that all the mainstream parties are left or right or whatever, it's that they are all centre. That's why they all appear similar. They HAVE to. Being a non-centrist party in Ireland these days is suicide, becaue you're either going to be labeled an alt-right fascist or a pinko-hippy anarchist.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Brian? wrote: »
    Loose immigration policies aren’t solely left wing. Neo-liberals(laissez faire capitalism) also encourages the free movement of people.

True but the comment was made within the context of "homelessness"

Foreigners who move here to work in the cities aren't homeless in the vast majority of cases

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Right-wing and left-wing meanings are topsy-turvy in Ireland.

The basic tax on wealth, the property tax, was imposed by our leading right-wing party.
    This tax on wealth has been opposed vociferously by our left-wing parties, particularly our Marxist and Trotkskyist ones. You could power the country with the energy from Trotsky and Marx spinning in their graves at this.

The property tax as enacted by Fine Gael isn't a wealth tax though. It's simply just another tax. A wealth tax as, generally, envisaged by the left would be of a different colour and affect those above a certain monetary threshold, or those with multiple properties. The rights version of it simply taxes everyone who has a property.

I think it's time we stopped this nonsense about the right wing being against taxation though. It's never really been true. Right wing parties may give tax breaks to the uber rich for their support (hello Donald), but they are and never were about being against taxes in general.

Tony EH wrote: »
    The property tax as enacted by Fine Gael isn't a wealth tax though. It's simply just another tax. A wealth tax as, generally, envisaged by the left would be of a different colour and affect those above a certain monetary threshold, or those with multiple properties. The rights version of it simply taxes everyone who has a property.

I think it's time we stopped this nonsense about the right wing being against taxation though. It's never really been true. Right wing parties may give tax breaks to the uber rich for their support (hello Donald), but they are and never were about being against taxes in general.
    Property is wealth.

Property is wealth.

My home is not "wealth". It's my home.

Tony EH wrote: »
    My home is not "wealth". It's my home.
    That's true enough but it's still wealth if not for you then her for your kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Butson

Cormac Lucey was on Newstalk yesterday evening.
    He made a very valid point. Why is nobody talking about what impact the huge levels of immigration are having on our housing crises?

I think most fair minded Irish people would agree that on balance, immigration into the country has been a positive thing.
    But, does that mean we don't talk about issues like the above?

Infantile.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Butson wrote: »
    Cormac Lucey was on Newstalk yesterday evening.
    He made a very valid point. Why is nobody talking about what impact the huge levels of immigration are having on our housing crises?

I think most fair minded Irish people would agree that on balance, immigration into the country has been a positive thing.
    But, does that mean we don't talk about issues like the above?

Infantile.

Anyone can make a claim like that. Did he actually say what exactly those huge levels were and what kind of people they are? My money is on EU members who are fully entitled to come here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There's no proper 'left' either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

A few of my mates, who would generally always vote. Say they arent voting this election. With options ranging from centre left to far left, who can blame them :rolleyes:

LPT charged at a max rate of. 18%, yet the working poor can be hit with a marginal rate of FIFTY percent!

• Site Banned Posts: 22 Guava Juice

meeeeh wrote: »
    FG?

Ir do you want economically right as private education, private healthcare, no state pension and similar. Then I think you have to move to China or USA.

Under Fine Gael the state the spends enormous sums on social welfare, so Fine Gael wouldn't qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭facehugger99

spurious wrote: »
    There's no proper 'left' either.

That's true.

There's the populists and the hyper-populists.

it's a sad reflection of the maturity of the electorate.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    A few of my mates, who would generally always vote. Say they arent voting this election. With options ranging from centre left to far left, who can blame them :rolleyes:

LPT charged at a max rate of. 18%, yet the working poor can be hit with a marginal rate of FIFTY percent!
    You should vote but spoil your vote and write TAX CUTS NOW on it!

That's true.

There's the populists and the hyper-populists.

it's a sad reflection of the maturity of the electorate.
    You should go in and cast a vote but write

TAXPAYERS RIGHTS

on that ballot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

What is our national identity?

It's basically gone!.

No Irish language
    No Celtic traditions
    No Brehon law
    No Sean Nos
    No Gaelteachts even in Dublin the capital FFS.

Ireland is vassel state of the EU.

Good little monkeys doing as they are told!.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Under Fine Gael the state the spends enormous sums on social welfare, so Fine Gael wouldn't qualify.

Yes that's because social welfare is expensive. I don't know of modern European country that doesn't offer some sort of welfare. Maybe you should be born couple of hundred years ago to find a party with conservative enough views.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

is_that_so wrote: »
    Anyone can make a claim like that. Did he actually say what exactly those huge levels were and what kind of people they are? My money is on EU members who are fully entitled to come here.

I am not anti immigrant at all - bar from thinking you shoudnt be offered a social house without first contributing to socierty - but there are numbers here (likely increased since then) - https://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/david-quinn/huge-scale-of-immigration-is-making-our-housing-crisis-worse-35498057.html

It is something that should be taken into account when discussing issues with services providing, the demand for these have grown massively.

It's basically gone!.

No Irish language
    No Celtic traditions
    No Brehon law
    No Sean Nos
    No Gaelteachts even in Dublin the capital FFS.

Ireland is vassel state of the EU.

Good little monkeys doing as they are told!.

None of that has anything to do with the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

With all the handouts for people who don’t work - where is the encouragement to contribute to society?
    Why do we say full employment = 5% unemployment? We need foreigners who are willing to work to do jobs that large portions of Irish think is beneath them.
    Will you work? Yes? Then come on in.

Public service pensions - don’t get me started 😡
    Governments here just waste my tax money. The service provided is so crap that I have to go private in the end and pay for it twice.

Advertisement