Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are the Irish generally superficial?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

machaseh wrote: »
    1,7 million people can read Irish texts, say sláinte and tiocfaidh ár lá and understand some basic conversations, but can 1,7 million hold fluent conversations in Irish and write irish texts? I highly highly doubt that.

If 1,7 million people truly had fluent irish, I would have met more than exactly one (1) Irish person who spoke fluent Irish. And she is from Donegal so yes of course she speaks it. Or I must indeed have been extraordinarily unlucky or living in an alternate universe.

Yes few speak fluent Irish . And yed it's mostly the Brits and historical reasons for that.
    That's just a statement of fact.
    Do you have a problem with that for some reason ?

Bambi wrote: »
    Don't forget your **** music :D

Your food is much worse as are your terrible pubs in general ðŸ˜
    Your habit of sitting outside in rows staring at passersby is kind of weird.
    Also having two names for the same country.
    And not being able to dip into your pocket to pay for somebody else for.......Anything !

And I actually like the Netherlands quite a lot, I'm not mentoning the good stuff here 😎

Indeed. Virtually everything in the Netherlands is better than Ireland. Our food, our people, our culture, our infrastructure, the tidiness of the public space, our legalized cannabis system. Virtually anything.

The reason why I had to descend to the rainy island is because my job has its EMEA headquarters in Dublin. That's just the way it is. While of course I could move back and find a job in the Netherlands, I make a point of not job hopping all the time and try to stay here for a few more years as it looks a bit better on my CV. Otherwise I'd have already been on my way back.

The Irish countryside and coastline is incredibly beautiful compared to the Netherlands and very uncrowded. We also have very nice hills and mountains for hiking. And the river Shannon is great for a cruise.
    You should enjoy when you are in Ireland.

I'm going to disagree on the food and culture in fairness. As someone who has lived abroad for most of their adult life, I'd really stop complaining and just enjoy your time here.

EXACTLY it's hardly a hardship posting is it. A quick hop from Amsterdam and everything.
    Stop moaning, start finding stuff to enjoy.

And the girl offering the 20 bucks for green from her bra, I thought that was pretty funny actually.😎

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

I love Holland but anytime I hear young Dutch people talking politics they are generally espousing right wing views and it sours the whole atmosphere. Saying that a lot of the old people are the same, spouting nasty racist nonsense, in perfect English though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Uhm every single thing for example?

Bad public transportation - BECAUSE OF THE BRITS NOT INVESTING

Superficial population that keeps voting for the same FF/FG gobsh1tes over and over again - BECAUSE OF THE BRITS

Bad healthcare - BRITS

Housing crisis - BRITS.

It's always the brits. Never taking their own responsibility...

Absolute bollocks of the highest order. I have never heard anyone blame the Brits for those things. You're talking out of your dutch fucking arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

OP,

Do you have any comment on the shameful role the Dutch played in colonialism and slave trade and the general exploitation of other races?

How much money and resources did the Dutch expropriate (steal) from its former colonies?

TBH it is a little rich to pontificate about our rainy little island with all its faults but at least we can look ourselves in the mirror and know that we never pissed and fcuked over other races and countries.

Bottom line is that the Netherlands 'acquired' quite a substantial amount of wealth and culture on the back and exploitation of other peoples.

And I'm sorry...your food is not better. Waffles and chips..really?

I have spent quite a bit of time in the Netherlands and I like it but it ain't all that. It's just one big city and talk about suffocating although the cycling is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,630 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Why do Dutch people spit in people's perks like Frank Rijkaard did to Rudi Voller? Manky.

I am not saying we are bad at all or agreeing with you! It's of course your opinion based on your personal experience. I lived in the US as well and I met a lot of superficial people. Bottom line is you meet all sorts.

Have you moved around the country away from Dublin from any length of time?

Dublin is ultimately a city with a transient population and expecting deep and meaningful interactive experiences with the natives might be a bit optimistic- like all cities. Non Dublin Irish people would probably agree with you.

Sure half the people in Dublin these days are foreigners.
    Also Irish hasn't been widely spoken in Dublin in particular for many many generations. But if you meet folks who went to the gaelgoir school they met speak fairly decent Irish. I have lots of relatives that speak Irish quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

OP,

Do you have any comment on the shameful role the Dutch played in colonialism and slave trade and the general exploitation of other races?

How much money and resources did the Dutch expropriate (steal) from its former colonies?

TBH it is a little rich to pontificate about our rainy little island with all its faults but at least we can look ourselves in the mirror and know that we never pissed and fcuked over other races and countries.

Bottom line is that the Netherlands 'acquired' quite a substantial amount of wealth and culture on the back and exploitation of other peoples.

And I'm sorry...your food is not better. Waffles and chips..really?

I have spent quite a bit of time in the Netherlands and I like it but it ain't all that.

I find a lot are quite pleased with their colonial past ... very disconcerting. In terms of being superficial, the Netherlands far outstrips Ireland. Has the longing to be a liberal country and on first appearances it does have with quite liberal laws in relation to all sorts of things but when living there and you look deeper it is a conservative leaning place and everything is deeply regimented. Is great in the beginning but after a while it becomes quite oppressive. Except for new year's Eve which acts like the purge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

maninasia wrote: »
    The Irish countryside and coastline is incredibly beautiful compared to the Netherlands and very uncrowded. We also have very nice hills and mountains for hiking. And the river Shannon is great for a cruise.
    You should enjoy when you are in Ireland.

That may be, but because I am visually impaired I am unable to enjoy the Irish countryside unless someone is willing to drive me around which literally happened only once.

I did book some paddywagon tours and all that but after a couple of those I'm kinda done with that too. Without a car it's no craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭circadian

Uhm every single thing for example?

Bad public transportation - BECAUSE OF THE BRITS NOT INVESTING

Superficial population that keeps voting for the same FF/FG gobsh1tes over and over again - BECAUSE OF THE BRITS

Bad healthcare - BRITS

Housing crisis - BRITS.

It's always the brits. Never taking their own responsibility...

Who told you this? Molly Malone pulling a tenner out of her bra asking you for some weed?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

That may be, but because I am visually impaired I am unable to enjoy the Irish countryside unless someone is willing to drive me around which literally happened only once.

I did book some paddywagon tours and all that but after a couple of those I'm kinda done with that too. Without a car it's no craic.

I can apprehend your plight, to some extent. Ireland is much better, IMHO, when one has access to cars.

As for all the talk about whether the Netherlands is a fun place to be or not or its history;

This thread is about Ireland. The only reason I mentioned my country is to have a point of reference as to why I have some issues with the superficiality here. I am not after an in-depth discussion of WWII or the colonial era, of course I'm willing to talk about that but it'd be best to open a new thread about it and drop me a PM so I notice it.

jimgoose wrote: »
    I can apprehend your plight, to some extent. Ireland is much better, IMHO, when one has access to cars.

Yes and at least in my country I had the freedom to go by proper public transportation or by bike wherever I wanted to go. Here I'm stuck in Dublin, the most touristy areas where tourist buses go, and maaaybe kilkenny/belfast/galway/cork thats about it really like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Ireland is very conformist in general people here don't like or are afraid to do stuff outside the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

As for all the talk about whether the Netherlands is a fun place to be or not or its history;

This thread is about Ireland. The only reason I mentioned my country is to have a point of reference as to why I have some issues with the superficiality here. I am not after an in-depth discussion of WWII or the colonial era, of course I'm willing to talk about that but it'd be best to open a new thread about it and drop me a PM so I notice it.
    Having lived in a few countries and met people from a large number of countries including yours this is a really lazy generalisation. We don't have a monopoly on being superficial. Most countries are full of pretty vacant people. If you're anyway sociable you will in due course meet people you'd feel comfortable around. Leave the rest of them to what it is they want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Yes and at least in my country I had the freedom to go by proper public transportation or by bike wherever I wanted to go. Here I'm stuck in Dublin, the most touristy areas where tourist buses go, and maaaybe kilkenny/belfast/galway/cork thats about it really like.

Do you think there might be a logical reason why a country half the size of Ireland, but 3 times the population, situated in the heart of Europe might have a better transport system than an island where almost a quarter of the population live in one major city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Indeed. Virtually everything in the Netherlands is better than Ireland. Our food, our people, our culture, our infrastructure, the tidiness of the public space, our legalized cannabis system. Virtually anything.

The reason why I had to descend to the rainy island is because my job has its EMEA headquarters in Dublin. That's just the way it is. While of course I could move back and find a job in the Netherlands, I make a point of not job hopping all the time and try to stay here for a few more years as it looks a bit better on my CV. Otherwise I'd have already been on my way back.

Your beloved Netherlands can't provide you with the job you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Well TBH we are getting a better picture here. You are homesick, visually impaired and with limited transport options and of course horrible January blues cannot help. Without a car in Ireland you are very limited and it's not a great place to be...been there and done that when I was younger. Very depressing and I was stuck on the west coast. At least you are in Dublin for all its faults.

I get it. I live in England for my sins (wife and kids so kinda stuck). I love nothing more than to bitch about what a **** hole the place is...it's fashionable to bitch about all the wrongs and ills of a place, focus and inflate all the minor little things that annoy you.

Just remember...we could be in Aleppo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Maybe they think the pub is far more enjoyable? How's that more superficial than thinking eating out is more enjoyable?

Also, you folk should really clarify who's Dutch and Netherlandish, Swedish and Danish and get back to us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

1,7 million people can read Irish texts, say sláinte and tiocfaidh ár lá and understand some basic conversations, but can 1,7 million hold fluent conversations in Irish and write irish texts? I highly highly doubt that.

If 1,7 million people truly had fluent irish, I would have met more than exactly one (1) Irish person who spoke fluent Irish. And she is from Donegal so yes of course she speaks it. Or I must indeed have been extraordinarily unlucky or living in an alternate universe.

Did you just come here to stick us all into little boxes and tell us you know us better than we know ourselves? We don't take kindly to that kind of thing around here...

KaneToad wrote: »
    Your beloved Netherlands can't provide you with the job you want?

Jobs are for the most part not 'provided' by the state. The Netherlands is not a communist state. My current company has its EMEA headquarters in Dublin, as do most Big Tech companies. And that's why in Dublin I'll be until I am ready to move on to a new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

And that's why in Dublin I'll be until I am ready to move on to a new job.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Fairly lazy and condescending stereotypes in the op....
    Think it might be the people you hang with although I wouldn't say your a bag of laughs to hang with either if you don't like Irish food,culture,music.places and virtually anything Irish and find Irish people uninteresting ...
    ....also Iv never though politics was a taboo subject either? prob just cultural differences mixed with home sickness

if I felt the same about another country I lived I don't think I'd stay just for a job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Call your job and tell them you won't be in for a while, you're doing a cultural expansion program and will be out for about 4 weeks.
    Go down the army bargain store and buy the biggest haversack you can find.
    Go shop and get supplies and a rake of tinnies.
    put some clothes in haversack so the tinnies don't hurt your back when you are carrying everything on your back.
    Get crayons and cardboard from shop too.
    Write 'the west' on the cardboard and start walking west. stick your sign above your head and you thumb up at passing motorists.
    Continue on this journey for 4 weeks.
    After 4 weeks, come back and tell us what you learnt.

aaronc182 wrote: »
    Fairly lazy and condescending stereotypes in the op....
    Think it might be the people you hang with although I wouldn't say your a bag of laughs to hang with either if you don't like Irish food,culture,music.places and virtually anything Irish and find Irish people uninteresting ...
    ....also Iv never though politics was a taboo subject either? prob just cultural differences mixed with home sickness

if I felt the same about another country I lived I don't think I'd stay just for a job

Oh no dont get me wrong I DO in fact love Irish music.

Its too bad trad isnt very big in dublin. You have some good places like the cboolestone though.

sKeith wrote: »
    Call your job and tell them you won't be in for a while, you're doing a cultural expansion program and will be out for about 4 weeks.
    Go down the army bargain store and buy the biggest haversack you can find.
    Go shop and get supplies and a rake of tinnies.
    put some clothes in haversack so the tinnies don't hurt your back when you are carrying everything on your back.
    Get crayons and cardboard from shop too.
    Write 'the west' on the cardboard and start walking west. stick your sign above your head and you thumb up at passing motorists.
    Continue on this journey for 4 weeks.
    After 4 weeks, come back and tell us what you learnt.

This is actually the best post in this entire thread. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Jobs are for the most part not 'provided' by the state. The Netherlands is not a communist state. My current company has its EMEA headquarters in Dublin, as do most Big Tech companies. And that's why in Dublin I'll be until I am ready to move on to a new job.

The state provides the environment for the jobs to exist. Why do you think big tech companies have their EMEA HQ in Ireland?

Your condescending attitude (e.g. "The Netherlands is not a communist state." "Virtually everything in the Netherlands is better than Ireland.") and your desire to display these views on an Irish discussion forum (to what end??) speaks volumes about your character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Oh no dont get me wrong I DO in fact love Irish music.

Its too bad trad isnt very big in dublin. You have some good places like the cboolestone though.

You see this is utter ****e. There is trad music EVERYWHERE. You just don't look for it, you want it to jump out at you and hit you in the face, like the Cobblestone. A pub disguised as a traditional representation of Irish music sessions. They're not like that at all. They are hidden in the back of pubs you don't expect them to be. But you wouldn't know that, because you didn't grow up with it in your veins like I did, and many others like me. Then again, you probably won't find them on trips to main cities where apparently our only public transport goes to. We have hundreds of towns and villages that have sessions, or other things to offer, that public transport also goes to but again, they don't hit you in the face either.

This thread, and your narrow minded opinions are exhausting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement