Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are the Irish generally superficial?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

machaseh wrote: »
    Jobs are for the most part not 'provided' by the state. The Netherlands is not a communist state. My current company has its EMEA headquarters in Dublin, as do most Big Tech companies. And that's why in Dublin I'll be until I am ready to move on to a new job.

Oh come on - there are no big multinational tech firms with EMEA HQs in the Netherlands availing of your generous tax arrangements?

Plenty of opportunity in Amsterdam on comparable terms to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Berckoise

As an older (much) person who has lived in three different countries I would like to make a few suggestions - all polite and restrained I hope :

- Check out Meetup for groups that share your interests. There are supper clubs, arts and culture groups, language exchanges, groups that discuss philosophy and so many more

- join Toastmasters - no need for a car or perfect vision

- do some voluntary work - lots to choose from working with people or animals

- stay out of the pub

- stop whinging

Go n'eirí an bothar leat !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Berckoise wrote: »

- stop whinging

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

go home dutchie
    nobody invited ya and if ya dont like it u kno where the boat is

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

You see this is utter ****e. There is trad music EVERYWHERE. You just don't look for it, you want it to jump out at you and hit you in the face, like the Cobblestone. A pub disguised as a traditional representation of Irish music sessions. They're not like that at all. They are hidden in the back of pubs you don't expect them to be. But you wouldn't know that, because you didn't grow up with it in your veins like I did, and many others like me. Then again, you probably won't find them on trips to main cities where apparently our only public transport goes to. We have hundreds of towns and villages that have sessions, or other things to offer, that public transport also goes to but again, they don't hit you in the face either.

This thread, and your narrow minded opinions are exhausting.

The best trad music I found was in Clifden, but guess how I went there : got a ride from a friend. It's a bit difficult without a car. That it's not inconceivably impossible, that I'd agree with , but it's not evident.

• Advertisement

Berckoise wrote: »
    As an older (much) person who has lived in three different countries I would like to make a few suggestions - all polite and restrained I hope :

- Check out Meetup for groups that share your interests. There are supper clubs, arts and culture groups, language exchanges, groups that discuss philosophy and so many more

- join Toastmasters - no need for a car or perfect vision

- do some voluntary work - lots to choose from working with people or animals

- stay out of the pub

- stop whinging

Go n'eirí an bothar leat !

There are some good tips here thanks

The best trad music I found was in Clifden, but guess how I went there : got a ride from a friend. It's a bit difficult without a car. That it's not inconceivably impossible, that I'd agree with , but it's not evident.

You have just reiterated my point again. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

From Dublin, get bus or train to Galway. from Eyres Square get the 419 bus to Clifden.
    Public transport gets you to Clifden!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

If the beer or whiskey your friends drink is so important to you, make new friends. There are many, many people who enjoy different beers - as evidenced by Dublin's fairly large number of craft beer pubs.

Your complaint about Irish people struggling to speak as Gaeilge, along with your complaint about lack of interest in our own culture makes me laugh. Perhaps you should read a little into our history to understand why so many Irish people speak English as a first language :pac: Again though, plenty of Irish speakers in Dublin, we have schools taught through Irish!

Most of the issues you seem to have with where you live are things you can easily change by simply changing who you choose to be friends with.

There are plenty of beer fans, foodies, culture lovers, trad fans (and musicians!), and Gaelgoirs in Ireland, and in Dublin. You just haven't met them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

What's that pub top of Smithfield? Always trad music on when I have been in there.

OP- you need to make it happen. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and get out there.

Dublin or Ireland does not owe you a great social life- the only person that can make it happen is you. Sitting around expecting it to fall on your lap ain't going to happen. I am speaking from experience having moved to another country and felt the same negative feelings.

I joined a running club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

In fairness, there is no need for the holland bashing. The guy is entitled to his view. Id concede that there probably is a level of superficiality to Ireland at present. I notice he has referenced the dublin pub scene a lot and to be honest I find that quite a shallow, soulless place at times also.

What's that pub top of Smithfield? Always trad music on when I have been in there.

sure he probably wont be able to get there without a lift :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

SozBbz wrote: »
    Oh come on - there are no big multinational tech firms with EMEA HQs in the Netherlands availing of your generous tax arrangements?

Plenty of opportunity in Amsterdam on comparable terms to Dublin.

There’s even a name for it -

Dutch Sandwich :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

In fairness, there is no need for the holland bashing. The guy is entitled to his view. Id concede that there probably is a level of superficiality to Ireland at present. I notice he has referenced the dublin pub scene a lot and to be honest I find that quite a shallow, soulless place at times also.

In fairness, that really only really started when he said that everything in the Netherlands was better, including the people.

Which in fairness is a fairly ****y thing to say on an Irish message board.

Yes, Irish people are bit shallow.

Take a Public National Competition aimed at a particular section of society:

The Winner is celebrated with great acclaim. The subject is of secondary importance and is forgotten much sooner than the winner of the competition.

The General Election candidate leaflets bear this superficiality out too. Nice smiley faces beaming down from the lamp posts.
    "I'm a Lovely Candidate to Vote No. 1 For !!" : Not just the main government party.

To be fair if you went on a dutch forum and said Im here because i cant get a job back home but Ireland has better people,music,places,food,transport,cleanliness and is just all round better I'm sure there be some Ireland bashing there

Yes the Netherlands bashing is not what this is about.

Look, the OP is feeling down and with no roots in a busy city the place feels superficial and lonely and I think we can all empathize with that.

TBH you will feel like that in any city anywhere in the world if you don't get out and mix...hard going but it's either that and sit around drowning in negativity.

The Cobblestone -the one the OP already mentioned. Otherwise known as a "plastic paddy" pub

Are you ok?
    Take a Public National Competition aimed at a particular section of society:

The Winner is celebrated with great acclaim. The subject is of secondary importance and is forgotten much sooner than the winner of the competition.

How is this unique to Ireland?
    The General Election candidate leaflets bear this superficiality out too. Nice smiley faces beaming down from the lamp posts.
    "I'm a Lovely Candidate to Vote No. 1 For !!" : Not just the main government party

This is quite literally how voting works. You put number 1 beside the person you want to vote for.

Our system also allows you to indicate how you feel about where your vote goes after that person is either elected/eliminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Ajax

• Advertisement

In fairness, that really only really started when he said that everything in the Netherlands was better, including the people.

Which in fairness is a fairly ****y thing to say on an Irish message board.

No, that isn't true. He had been pretty much set upon from the start truth be told. Guys referencing fingers in dykes and all this sort of stuff.
    Some people seem unable to take any criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

Sorry about that OP. We're all too busy in modern society trying to keep the whole $hitshow running paying through the nose with our taxes while EMAE's like the one you work for pay F**k all to it. Maybe if we didn't have to work so hard we could be hanging out at the fairy fort megaliths dressed as Gaelic warriors painted blue playing the uilleann pipes while writing poetry on vellum like you would like to see but, alas, the game won't allow it.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Look, the OP is feeling down and with no roots in a busy city the place feels superficial and lonely and I think we can all empathize with that.

TBH you will feel like that in any city anywhere in the world if you don't get out and mix...hard going but it's either that and sit around drowning in negativity.

Yes, but surely even the OP must have the cop on the realise that going around saying that everything in a new country is inadquite or lesser somehow than where they're from is not how you win friends and influence people.

Everything he cited is completely opposite to my experience (barring the limitations of our public transport, we all know thats true).
    - I don't know anyone who drinks Coors light. Most women I know drink gin/wine and the occasional craft beer. Most men I know drink a mix of beers, but avoid anything american or low end.
    - Dublin has a huge restaurant scene. How does the OP think they all survive if literally no one is sophisticated enough to enjoy a meal out?
    - People have no interests or opinions on current affairs, culture etc - again this is not true of the people I socialize with.

If the people you've met (presumably through your job) arent doing it for you then make the effort to meet new people. Some people don't like to get too close to colleagues anyway, so perhaps this is a factor.

aaronc182 wrote: »
    To be fair if you went on a dutch forum and said Im here because i cant get a job back home but Ireland has better people,music,places,food,transport,cleanliness and is just all round better I'm sure there be some Ireland bashing there

That wasnt his opening gambit though. People were giving him plenty of it for a few pages before he responded with that. At least be fair about it.

The op never said any of that. He has been out and about. He has mixed with people. Maybe instead of trying to figure out what is wrong with him, take what he has said onboard and self-analyse a bit. Maybe he is right...

That wasnt his opening gambit though. People were giving him plenty of it for a few pages before he responded with that. At least be fair about it.

'I just feel as if people back home are a lot more interesting in many aspects'

his opening gambit was hardly fair either though was it??

aaronc182 wrote: »

It depends , I think if one as an Irishman would manage to have learned fluent Dutch (very very hard to do by the way ) and posted that in our language it would be a wholly different story from here. But yes if you're going to post that in English on a Dutch forum it's gonna be a sh1teshow.

Ironically I did know two Irish people back home, both of whom had Irish as their native language.

SozBbz wrote: »
    Yes, but surely even the OP must have the cop on the realise that going around saying that everything in a new country is inadquite or lesser somehow than where they're from is not how you win friends and influence people.

Everything he cited is completely opposite to my experience (barring the limitations of our public transport, we all know thats true).
    - I don't know anyone who drinks Coors light. Most women I know drink gin/wine and the occasional craft beer. Most men I know drink a mix of beers, but avoid anything american or low end.
    - Dublin has a huge restaurant scene. How does the OP think they all survive if literally no one is sophisticated enough to enjoy a meal out?
    - People have no interests or opinions on current affairs, culture etc - again this is not true of the people I socialize with.

If the people you've met (presumably through your job) arent doing it for you then make the effort to meet new people. Some people don't like to get too close to colleagues anyway, so perhaps this is a factor.

You are right. Focusing on negativity and is not going to do him any favours.

It is called disassociation- whereby you disconnect yourself from your surroundings. By slagging off Ireland/Dublin he is putting distance between 'us' and him. One way you console yourself is by telling yourself that everyone else is the problem. You are misunderstood. A better and more sophisticated person and more thoughtful than everyone else. The rest of the world is failing to live up to your standards/expectations.

It is a vicious cycle of negativity the OP is in danger of drowning in but with only one loser and it ain't 'us'. There is only person that can sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,630 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

No, that isn't true. He had been pretty much set upon from the start truth be told. Guys referencing fingers in dykes and all this sort of stuff.
    Some people seem unable to take any criticism.

The OP ended with a blanket statement: "I just feel as if people back home are a lot more interesting in many aspects". That's probably why it drew some people's ire.

• Advertisement

It depends , I think if one as an Irishman would manage to have learned fluent Dutch (very very hard to do by the way ) and posted that in our language it would be a wholly different story from here. But yes if you're going to post that in English on a Dutch forum it's gonna be a sh1teshow.

Ironically I did know two Irish people back home, both of whom had Irish as their native language.

Ah that's curious.

The Dutch learn English from the very start of their education the same way we learn Irish from the start of primary school. Of course the scope for speaking Irish in everyday life is extremely limited but of course learning English is totally different.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement