Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ewe rejecting lamb

• 22-01-2020 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

I have ewe with twin lambs at birth she took to them fine.however one day i was putting tail rings on them and she has rejected one of them since .Put her in crate for three days no improvement on letting her out.Any ideas on how to get her to accept her lamb again.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

karolmc100 wrote: »
    I have ewe with twin lambs at birth she took to them fine.however one day i was putting tail rings on them and she has rejected one of them since .Put her in crate for three days no improvement on letting her out.Any ideas on how to get her to accept her lamb again.

Lots of experienced people on here will have more practical ideas than me, but...

I'd give her 3 more days in the crate, just to be sure to be sure, and if she doesn't take to the rejected one then, I'd put that lamb in with the pets and offer it up for your sins.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

karolmc100 wrote: »

do you do any wet adopting while a ewe is lambing, we'd put that lamb on to the next single, we very seldom use a fostering gate and, like that, it seldom works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭davidk1394

wrangler wrote: »
    do you do any wet adopting while a ewe is lambing, we'd put that lamb on to the next single, we very seldom use a fostering gate and, like that, it seldom works.

That ewe sounds like she will be in the adoption crate until the lamb is reared. We used do that wet adoption before but found it was more grief than it was worth and just sell the extra lamb as a pet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

davidk1394 wrote: »
    That ewe sounds like she will be in the adoption crate until the lamb is reared. We used do that wet adoption before but found it was more grief than it was worth and just sell the extra lamb as a pet.

We used to wet adopt 40 -50 lambs here when we had 500 + ewes, no way would we not take every opportunity, often adopted a lamb on to a ewe that was 24hrs lambed, some sold pets meet a sad end, only ever sold two or three

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭davidk1394

wrangler wrote: »
    We used to wet adopt 40 -50 lambs here when we had 500 + ewes, no way would we not take every opportunity, often adopted a lamb on to a ewe that was 24hrs lambed, some sold pets meet a sad end, only ever sold two or three

We're selling ours to the same few farms each year. One of them this year became a bit of an internet sensation on the agri land Facebook page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Had a similar problem here the other day only it was a single. I got a bottle of the woman’s perfume and sprayed the ewes nose and the lamb all over and it seems to have worked. Was a last resort when I done it so it might work for you too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

390kid wrote: »
    Had a similar problem here the other day only it was a single. I got a bottle of the woman’s perfume and sprayed the ewes nose and the lamb all over and it seems to have worked. Was a last resort when I done it so it might work for you too

We have Lynx Africa here for the same job. As I saw someone on Twitter say, the place smells like a teenage disco back in the 90s!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

We have Lynx Africa here for the same job. As I saw someone on Twitter say, the place smells like a teenage disco back in the 90s!

That id be good strong stuff to cover the scent a them!

Advertisement