Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your vehicle here Part 6 (don't quote pictures, 24h ban!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Wailin wrote: »
    Interior clean today.

Great shots. Is that camera phone or proper digital camera you used ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

Great shots. Is that camera phone or proper digital camera you used ?

A Canon DSLR with 35mm lens and 14mm for wide shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Fecken hell we're all detailing now! Great to see :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,542 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Mind if I ask is it cropped or full frame?
    Which 35mm lens?
    Lovely shots :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Try this to get the shine off the steering wheel. Rub in leather cleaner nice and thick, then wrap the wheel in steaming hot microfiber cloths (wet them in boiling water) and leave for 10 minutes. Remove them and then with a dry cloth really hard. Some APC can help a lot as its mostly oils from hands that leave the shine, so soaps work a treat. Nothing screams new like a matt wheel.

• Advertisement

It's a Canon 5D mk IV full frame vectra and the lens is the canon 35mm 1.4 L. Brilliant lens I picked up years ago and still one of my favourites. Since been replaced with the mk II which is very expensive like all canon L lens I suppose.

Try this to get the shine off the steering wheel. Rub in leather cleaner nice and thick, then wrap the wheel in steaming hot microfiber cloths (wet them in boiling water) and leave for 10 minutes. Remove them and then with a dry cloth really hard. Some APC can help a lot as its mostly oils from hands that leave the shine, so soaps work a treat. Nothing screams new like a matt wheel.

Thanks fitz I used leather cleaner on the wheel alright but that's a good tip, I'll give it a go. Plenty of time on my hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

Same as everyone else by the looks of it, I also gave the car a wash over the weekend, not much else to do!

0OPYvV1r.jpg

9pfvXA9r.jpg

Thanks fitz I used leather cleaner on the wheel alright but that's a good tip, I'll give it a go. Plenty of time on my hands!

It makes a huge difference. I clean mine every weeks:

49742848188_03af47e244_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

It makes a huge difference. I clean mine every few weeks:

Some top tips there lads, i must give the wheel in my car a go, need to pick up a leather cleaner first, or would just using an APC improve it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭tech

Got some time to wash, de tar, clay bar the car.

DMWcxK.jpg
    pJaJ6B.jpg
    zLDSqV.jpg
    FDq7HF.jpg
    6eqqzF.jpg
    WUmBym.jpg
    Ehce6j.jpg
    eEBb4U.jpg
    oEKHCS.jpg
    vUbvr2.jpg
    e5xiAJ.jpg
    dSUwjV.jpg
    u0A1kC.jpg[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Some top tips there lads, i must give the wheel in my car a go, need to pick up a leather cleaner first, or would just using an APC improve it?

Ive been using gliptone cleaner and conditioner on my steering wheels/seats for years i've found it the best keeps that lovely factory matt look.

hooch-85 wrote: »

Steering wheel leather is often very different to seat leather. I would only use leather cleaner on it rather than APC and do NOT use a magic sponge. Good and all as they are they remove dye from steering wheel leather.

I use Gliptone leather cleaner and this is what I do:

- Spray some cleaner liberally into a detailing brush
    - Spread generously all over the wheel and leave for 25 seconds
    - Agitate it with the brush for a few minutes to lift out oil/dirt/grease
    - Leave for about 2 minutes
    - Agitate again
    - Dry the wheel gently with a clean, dry microfibre cloth
    - Using a damp (hot water) microfibre cloth, clean the wheel down thoroughly to remove the leather cleaner.
    - Dry using a new microfibre cloth

You can either repeat the process from agitating the wheel with the cleaner and brush or from using the damp cloth until it's smoth, matt and not sticky. It can get sticky because you're loosening up all the crap in it. What you're after is to remove the shine as shiny leather is dirty leather.

Steering wheel leather is often very different to seat leather. I would only use leather cleaner on it rather than APC and do NOT use a magic sponge. Good and all as they are they remove dye from steering wheel leather.

I use Gliptone leather cleaner and this is what I do:

- Spray some cleaner liberally into a detailing brush
    - Spread generously all over the wheel and leave for 25 seconds
    - Agitate it with the brush for a few minutes to lift out oil/dirt/grease
    - Leave for about 5 minutes
    - Agitate again
    - Dry the wheel gently with a clean, dry microfibre cloth
    - Using a damp microfibre cloth, clean the wheel down thoroughly to remove the leather cleaner.
    - Dry using a new microfibre cloth

You can either repeat the process from agitating the wheel with the cleaner and brush or from using the damp cloth until it's smoth, matt and not sticky. It can get sticky because you're loosening up all the crap in it. What you're after is to remove the shine as shiny leather is dirty leather.

I do find that heat helps a lot really lifts the dirt out of the leather. I find that some cheaper leather cleaners leave a shiny finish all of their own. I use Dr. Leather cleaner mostly because it has a great smell and a matt look, I have not tried the gliptone but hear good things.

I do find that heat helps a lot really lifts the dirt out of the leather. I find that some cheaper leather cleaners leave a shiny finish all of their own. I use Dr. Leather cleaner mostly because it has a great smell and a matt look, I have not tried the gliptone but hear good things.

You're right, heat does help.

I have Dr. Leather and although it's very good, I don't use it because it leaves a strong smell on my hands from the steering wheel despite my wiping it down thoroughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Very impressed with results you're getting re: matt leather, my worry is if I accidentally get dye damaged on 14 years old steering wheel?

joujoujou wrote: »
    Very impressed with results you're getting re: matt leather, my worry is if I accidentally get dye damaged on 14 years old steering wheel?

With older steering wheels it can often be hard to tell if the "black" coming off it is dirt you're removing or if it's dye. Also wheel leather and how it's treated can differ between brands. I can't advise you on what to do in that case apart from the usual "test on an inconspicuous area" first and see how you get on.

Anyway, we need to get back to pics. Any further detailing chat can go HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Slightly on topic. How do you wash your microfibres. Am I wrong to just use fabric softener and non bio washing liquid?

They say fabric softener makes towels less absorbent. Wonder if there’s anything wrong with using it on microfibres?

Fabric softener clogs up the fibres on microfibre cloths and does indeed make them less absorbent. You can get a dedicated washing liquid for them but I use Persil non bio. It's perfect for it.

Cool. I suspected that would be the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As I found out first hand - use no fabric softener on microfiber cloth.

Thanks for the tips lads it's made a hell of a difference.

Before:

49746361851_9826483ddd_c.jpg

After:

49746361816_115e503e12_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That's some difference alright. Did you do the hot microfiber cloth thing?

I did bazz. As the lads said, I coated it in Dr. Leather and then put the hot micro fibre cloths on it for 5-10 min. Then rubbed it off with some force using a clean dry cloth.

Edit: Sorry MM, I know this is for the detailing chat!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Inspired by others to take picture of the steering wheel :D

Will it have matte finish look if I follow the above advice?

20200407-194458.jpg

Superb results Wailin! All you need to do now to finish it off is apply Meguiars endurance gel :pac:

Masterboy - yes you certainly will. You'll need to pay particular attention to the perforated sections in order to remove dirt/grease from the pin holes.

This is what self isolation does to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Thanks for the tips lads it's made a hell of a difference.

Before:

After:

Wow, that is some difference!!

Masterboy - yes you certainly will. You'll need to pay particular attention to the perforated sections in order to remove dirt/grease from the pin holes.

A stabbing action with a soft toothbrush, perforated leather takes a lot of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

IMG-20170118-220523.jpg

Advertisement