Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Draining Sink ....?

Options
  • 22-01-2020 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭

:) Hopefully a simple enough one? I'm almost embarrassed having to ask, in honesty. But then; I've never said I was an amateur Plumber on the side.

" Belfast " ~ is it? ~ sink. Heard them called " Butler " too. Just so ye get the full picture.

Must have barely more than six foot of waste pipe to where it exits the wall and free falls into the drain. Except, it doesn't :( It more makes a sort of calm and steady exit. No pushing or shoving. Calmly waiting its turn around the plug hole.

Done all I know of. Bunged the big over flow and plunged the plug hole. Stuck a (proper, purpose bought) wire down there. Used up a whole bottle of sulfuric, in several stages. Just not getting there.

Suffice it to say that; If I sling a pint glass of water down the over flow? Half of it will vomit back out of the plug hole.

What am I missing here, please?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Unscrew the u-bend under the sink and remove all of the stuff that's probably blocking it.

If there's nothing in it then blockage is further down the line and you've already tried bleach etc. then you'll probably need drain rods...which are not too expensive.

Also worth looking for an access point outside to see if water is flowing more freely so you know if blockage is between sink and there or further down the line. Sometime a powerwasher down the a access might work but I prefer the rods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Stigura

Well; That was bloody humiliating! Actually having to be told to check the U bend! :D

Christ almighty! How long before I smell of boiled cabbage and start disgracing myself without realising it?! I'd might as well just hand in my 'Man' Badge, right now. I'm rapidly morphing into an addled old fart!

Anyway, Thank you very much! U Trap was pretty empty. I looked at the outside and saw it's all cemented in. But, there's an unscrewable which will grant me ~ and my little steel reel thing ~ access to the main run of waste pipe. It must be in there.

Okay. We've got the b@stard cornered now. And, he doesn't know that We know! I'm off for my lay down now. Getting on my knees has took it out of me. Tomorrow, I'll unscrew that big, white nut and have at it with my steel reel. If that meets fierce resistance? I have shed loads of drain rods ;)

Seriously: Thanks. Best damn laugh I've had at myself in a long time! Not too long to go now then, I'll be sitting in the pub, giggling into my beer. Sharting. And burbling about my blocked pipes! Great! :D

Advertisement