Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race exercise bike

Options
  • 22-01-2020 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hi,

First let me state I know very little of what I'm on about, so please bare with me.

I am looking for a race exercise bike for use at home. I'm sure it's uses a flywheel with xkg resistance, not sure if a spin bike is the same, but the one I want is very much like a racer.

So anyone have any experience with this type of exercise bike, and could maybe point me in the right direction.

I don't want to spend a whole lot(maybe €200 or under if possible) as I really enjoy road cycling and thought with a little injury I have I'll give this a go.

Any, and I mean any info would be great.

Thanks so much.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You might be better off with a turbo trainer if you already have a bike which it sounds like you do? Spin bikes and such mostly end up as clothes horses in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

Ah yes I've see the tubro trainer but my wife would also like to use the exercise bike so this is why I have to go this way.

But thank you for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'd agree with that suggestion - I loved a spinning class when I used to bother with a gym membership but found a spinning bike useless at home, sold it within 3 months.

Second hand smart turbo trainer might be the way to go

Thank you for the suggestion, really appreciate it.

My wife is adamant that we get this race exercise bike so we both can use it, the turbo trainer only I could use, so I have to look for one.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

Curious about this. Have you ever seen the type of bike you're looking for, or just kinda hoping it exists

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »
    Curious about this. Have you ever seen the type of bike you're looking for, or just kinda hoping it exists

Yes I'm hoping that someone can take my very vague description and engineer it and then sell me the only one at a very low cost ....

You foiled my master plan ...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wattbike or Kickr-bike are probably the closes to what you're asking for.

Neither you can afford without multiplying the budget. If your wife is anti turbo she needs to add a few grand to the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Or Peloton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It sounds like the cheapest option to achieve what you want would be a turbo trainer and cheap second hand bike in your wifes size.
    The other options are at least 10 times your budget.

tuxy wrote: »
    It sounds like the cheapest option to achieve what you want would be a turbo trainer and cheap second hand bike in your wifes size.
    The other options are at least 10 times your budget.

Ouch!

So no real budget option for what I'm looking for..

Ok food for thought .. maybe new bike for the wife and the turbo cheapest

Cheers all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Is the OP thinking of something like this...
    https://www.irishsportswarehouse.ie/bodytrain-racer-exercise-bike?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyOyX56SY5wIVyLHtCh2PSwmvEAQYAiABEgIGU_D_BwE

If so, you could follow along some GCN training videos on Youtube. They use the same sort of spin bikes as that above.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiDD_aqdnK0

velo.2010 wrote: »
    https://www.irishsportswarehouse.ie/bodytrain-racer-exercise-bike?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyOyX56SY5wIVyLHtCh2PSwmvEAQYAiABEgIGU_D_BwE

If so, you could follow along some GCN training videos on Youtube. They use the same sort of spin bikes as that above.

Maybe. Spin bikes are very different. Great exercise but it does not feel anything like cycling on the road, a turbo trainer is far from perfect but is much closer to the experience of cycling on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Maybe. Spin bikes are very different. Great exercise but it does not feel anything like cycling on the road, a turbo trainer is far from perfect but is much closer to the experience of cycling on the road.

Yeah, there's nothing with drop handlebars for the OP's budget. My thought was what they perceived to be a 'racer bike'.

Yeah, there's nothing with drop handlebars for the OP's budget. My thought was what they perceived to be a 'racer bike'.

Yes, it depends what they mean, it's more than just the drop bars. The flywheel on a spin bike is nothing like cycling a roadbike. As said turbos have their faults but the flywheel or magnetic resistance does give an exercise closer to what it's like out on the road.

Yes, yes this looks exactly like what I seen.

So spin/race exercise bike are the same thing?

galwayllm wrote: »
    Yes, yes this looks exactly like what I seen.

So spin/race exercise bike are the same thing?

Spin bikes are a type of exercise bike that have a massive flywheel and the exercise programs are based on changing of pace to let the flywheel slow down then get it back up to speed.
    From an exercise point of view it's good but you would have to try one to know if you like it.

Yes I'm hoping that someone can take my very vague description and engineer it and then sell me the only one at a very low cost ....

You foiled my master plan ...

So, you're very vague description was of an exercise bike that looked and felt like a "racer bike", which I, and I think others, assumed meant a road bike.

I've been in and around the fitness industry for a long time, and I've never come across something like that.

I've seen plenty of spin bikes, but when that was suggested, you told us your wife was adamant that you get the "racer bike" exercise bike. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask whether you've seen this thing you can only vaguely describe.

Turns out, you wanted a spin bike...

So, you're very vague description was of an exercise bike that looked and felt like a "racer bike", which I, and I think others, assumed meant a road bike.

I've been in and around the fitness industry for a long time, and I've never come across something like that.

I've seen plenty of spin bikes, but when that was suggested, you told us your wife was adamant that you get the "racer bike" exercise bike. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask whether you've seen this thing you can only vaguely describe.

Turns out, you wanted a spin bike...

When I went to look for this I seen 'race' everywhere not spin. And I also pointed out in the very first post that I knew little to nothing about this.

When I went to look for this I seen 'race' everywhere not spin. And I also pointed out in the very first post that I knew little to nothing about this.

...which is why I asked the question, to see if I could ascertain just what you wanted, maybe help a little.

Regardless, you found the type of thing you're looking for, so best of luck with it

...which is why I asked the question, to see if I could ascertain just what you wanted, maybe help a little.

Regardless, you found the type of thing you're looking for, so best of luck with it

Well thank you for the input, I really didn't have a clue what I was on about , I've never had an exercise bike before and all I seen was race not spin which threw me.

I'll be honest I was not sure what the hell I wanted, maybe I still don't to a degree.

I would like a bike similar to a racer on the road which you all say this spin bike is nothing like it. But I seen last night that these spin bikes are good for intense workouts

• Advertisement

I would like a bike similar to a racer on the road which you all say this spin bike is nothing like it. But I seen last night that these spin bikes are good for intense workouts

Yes they can be good for intense interval workouts but when you pedal they feel nothing like a bike you cycle on the road.

It's possible to get stationary bikes that do feel similar to cycling on the road but I don't think this is what you want.
    But I'm not sure and I don't think you are either, still it gives you something to think about.

Many gyms will have spin bikes so it may be worth paying for a day pass to try one.

Yes they can be good for intense interval workouts but when you pedal they feel nothing like a bike you cycle on the road.

It's possible to get stationary bikes that do feel similar to cycling on the road but I don't think this is what you want.
    But I'm not sure and I don't think you are either, still it gives you something to think about.

Many gyms will have spin bikes so it may be worth paying for a day pass to try one.

Yes good idea right there, do a little research on the ground... Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Don't buy a brand new cheap spin bike because it'll be poxy.

You could get a second hand ex-gym one. Proper sturdy, big fup-off flywheel, designed for 1000's of hours of use etc. I did that a few years ago, got great use out of it and sold it on again easily.

Was more like 400 quid though at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

You won't get them for that money, but the Wattbike promo/ sponsorship/ advert on The Cycling Podcast mentioned something about available from xx.xx a month. I don't know whether that applies to just the UK, or Ireland too - may just be a flexifi thing.

The weight of the flywheel, the heavier it is, the harder it is to get it start, but the smoother and more natural it will fell as you pedal (basically)

Advertisement