Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon area spins

Options
  • 22-01-2020 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭

Anyone on here with local knowledge of the Shannon area? I'm going to be away on a course soon and will have some time to myself so I'm taking a bike with me. I guess I'll be based close to the airport (that's where the course is anyway) so if anyone has some tips for routes/climbs etc in that area I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,634 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Look up Woodcock Hill, it's a 310m hill near Cratloe. Shorter but steep climb from the Cratloe side, longer climb but less steep from the other side (Meelick). Probably about a 35-40km round trip from Shannon town.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

https://www.facebook.com/ClubRothaiochta/

Club Rothaiochta na Sionainne do spins on most Saturday and Sunday mornings starting at 8:30/9am from the Bus Stop opposite the Shannon Springs Hotel/Old Lodge Pub. Message them on Facebook and ask about upcoming spins. They are a very friendly bunch and I'm sure you'd be more than welcome to join them.

Lots of routes/loops of various lengths and difficulties around the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Thanks for the replies, I'll look into them. I'm hoping to get home at weekends (young family) but might I be there for a few saturdays so riding along with others would be a good way to see things I'd probably miss

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

Thanks for the replies, I'll look into them. I'm hoping to get home at weekends (young family) but might I be there for a few saturdays so riding along with others would be a good way to see things I'd probably miss

The Roads are fairly quite and for the most part safe. I recommend you to look up Strava segments to give you an idea of whats around and just go explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

AlfaZen wrote: »
    The Roads are fairly quite and for the most part safe. I recommend you to look up Strava segments to give you an idea of whats around and just go explore.

I have to say I've been here a few days now and been out on the bike twice and the difference in courtesy from drivers here and Dublin is miles apart! I've not had one close pass and people are calm enough to stay behind me for a few seconds and not rush to pass as soon as possible (and as close as they can!!). I hope it continues..

• Advertisement
Advertisement