Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BMW warranty insurance (extended warranty)

Options
  • 22-01-2020 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I did a quick search but couldn't find anything specific about this.
    My sisters 520d will be out of its 3 year warranty at the end of January. Car is in good nick 50K KM on the clock, she has service pack up to 2022.
    She was quoted 500 for 1 years comprehensive insurance warranty no excess, by BMW ( 410 for 135 excess comp & 310 for 335 excess comp)
    I had look at the policy online and it appears very good
    Interested to hear peoples opinions on this. Especially as I'll be in the same boat myself in 6 months time when my 3 year warranty runs out.
    Has anyone bought it and had cause to claim off it?
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Yeah I had it for a few years on my old 318D. Cost around €600/year for the fully comp and that included breakdown assist. I had to use it when the EGR valve failed and it was a flawless process. My car was collected by a truck within 20 mins of the call and 30 mins after that I had a 5 series hire car to cover me. Every question and concern was answered promptly. Got a call from the dealer that evening to say the car was in and being looked at. Got it back a few days later with EGR valve replaced and didn't cost me a penny extra.

I had to use it again when a sensor failed causing the DSC to think the wheels were constantly spinning which meant I couldn't drive the car. Same deal though there was some confusion as the dealer noticed some rusted up parts were involved and the insurance refused to cover when they saw pictures. Que a call to their centre in England and I spoke to a very nice guy who I had to push and complain to (respectfully) but he said they will ask BMW directly if they will cover and if not they would cover some of the labour. There was some back and forth between BMW, the insurer and the dealer and ultimately BMW said they wouldn't cover. Lo and behold the insurance covered the full bill and I got the car back soon after.

So overall I would highly recommend it. Very smooth, they look after you professionally and considering the costs of getting repairs out of warranty I think you'd be mad not to get it for 500 for the year! My 330e is out of warranty later this year and I'm absolutely getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭moby2101

Hi Elessar,

Thanks for the detailed reply.Good to hear, we will both be taking it out .

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

Have you got a quote yet?

I have an approved used car and i want to extend the warrenty, can they refuse to to extend warrenty ?

Elessar wrote: »
    Yeah I had it for a few years on my old 318D. Cost around €600/year for the fully comp and that included breakdown assist. I had to use it when the EGR valve failed and it was a flawless process. My car was collected by a truck within 20 mins of the call and 30 mins after that I had a 5 series hire car to cover me. Every question and concern was answered promptly. Got a call from the dealer that evening to say the car was in and being looked at. Got it back a few days later with EGR valve replaced and didn't cost me a penny extra.

I had to use it again when a sensor failed causing the DSC to think the wheels were constantly spinning which meant I couldn't drive the car. Same deal though there was some confusion as the dealer noticed some rusted up parts were involved and the insurance refused to cover when they saw pictures. Que a call to their centre in England and I spoke to a very nice guy who I had to push and complain to (respectfully) but he said they will ask BMW directly if they will cover and if not they would cover some of the labour. There was some back and forth between BMW, the insurer and the dealer and ultimately BMW said they wouldn't cover. Lo and behold the insurance covered the full bill and I got the car back soon after.

So overall I would highly recommend it. Very smooth, they look after you professionally and considering the costs of getting repairs out of warranty I think you'd be mad not to get it for 500 for the year! My 330e is out of warranty later this year and I'm absolutely getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They can refuse to offer cover if the car doesn't meet their criteria. They only cover cars up to a certain age and/or with up to certain mileage. The extended warranty also has to be purchased before the existing warranty runs out afaik.

bazz26 wrote: »
    They can refuse to offer cover if the car doesn't meet their criteria. They only cover cars up to a certain age and/or with up to certain mileage. The extended warranty also has to be purchased before the existing warranty runs out afaik.

Do you know where that criteria is ? My car is a 162 with 100,000kms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

See here for full details and to get quote.

https://www.bmw-warranty.ie/Start

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Coming straight off manufacturer warranty, they won't be refusing at that age and mileage anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

It's a good product, personally I always went for a high excess and gambled on nothing going wrong. They even refunded me the premium once when I sold the car mid policy year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I think it is well worth it. It's a hard pill to swallow, paying €500 extra a year for the privilege of driving a BMW but they are notorious for needing expensive repairs soon out of manufacturers warranty.

MarkN wrote: »
    It's a good product, personally I always went for a high excess and gambled on nothing going wrong. They even refunded me the premium once when I sold the car mid policy year.

Is it 1 year max to extend, i see in states 3 years being mentioned

• Advertisement

I think it is well worth it. It's a hard pill to swallow, paying €500 extra a year for the privilege of driving a BMW but they are notorious for needing expensive repairs soon out of manufacturers warranty.

Totally agreed, 500 seems cheap....i know it would be model specidlfic but i am factoring in maybe double that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement