Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take promotion or not ???

Options
  • 22-01-2020 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

Hey all, just looking for some of your view points on my current predicament.

Ive been working with my current employer for 20 years and in that time have worked my way up the ladder from being a machine operator to being just one level below a production manager.

In my current role I made a decent living but sometimes due to my wifes work money can be a bit tight at times.

Theres a good chance that this year I may be in a position to get a promotion to management whereby my income would increase quite substantially.

The role Im currently doing covers most of what a manager does but without the full accountability that goes with management.

My predicament is this, in my current role I am a member of a union, this union membership along with the amount of time Im within this company and my seniority when it comes to leaving people go gives me major protection should the company decide that they have to leave people go at any time in the future, 100s would have to go before Id be touched.

If on the otherhand I take the promotion and become a manager, that union protection is gone and I'm on my own.

Yes, I could have a long and happy career as a manager with more future promotion prospects available in the future if all goes well BUT if things went bad in the company I could be left go and wouldnt have the protection from the union.

Do you think it would be silly of me to not take the promotion should I be offered it and take the big wage increase along with the lessened job protection or should I stay put doing what I'm doing with moderate income but knowing that I would never be offered such a promotion ever again within the company should I turn it down ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭micks_address

vixdname wrote: »
    Hey all, just looking for some of your view points on my current predicament.

Ive been working with my current employer for 20 years and in that time have worked my way up the ladder from being a machine operator to being just one level below a production manager.

In my current role I made a decent living but sometimes due to my wifes work money can be a bit tight at times.

Theres a good chance that this year I may be in a position to get a promotion to management whereby my income would increase quite substantially.

The role Im currently doing covers most of what a manager does but without the full accountability that goes with management.

My predicament is this, in my current role I am a member of a union, this union membership along with the amount of time Im within this company and my seniority when it comes to leaving people go gives me major protection should the company decide that they have to leave people go at any time in the future, 100s would have to go before Id be touched.

If on the otherhand I take the promotion and become a manager, that union protection is gone and I'm on my own.

Yes, I could have a long and happy career as a manager with more future promotion prospects available in the future if all goes well BUT if things went bad in the company I could be left go and wouldnt have the protection from the union.

Do you think it would be silly of me to not take the promotion should I be offered it and take the big wage increase along with the lessened job protection or should I stay put doing what I'm doing with moderate income but knowing that I would never be offered such a promotion ever again within the company should I turn it down ???

What protection does the union offer? In my last job we were in a union and the company made a ton of redundancies.. the union negotiated a package but it was the same as every other company was offering at the time in Ireland.. don't think the union made much difference to be honest.. if you do get let go it sounds like you have a ton of hands on experience so if needs be could fall back on that..a few years management experience would also stand to you if you had to.het another job.. kinds comes down to if you want the extra responsibility as a manager and would enjoy it. Don't do it just for the money or you'll probably hate it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

What protection does the union offer? In my last job we were in a union and the company made a ton of redundancies.. the union negotiated a package but it was the same as every other company was offering at the time in Ireland.. don't think the union made much difference to be honest.. if you do get let go it sounds like you have a ton of hands on experience so if needs be could fall back on that..a few years management experience would also stand to you if you had to.het another job.. kinds comes down to if you want the extra responsibility as a manager and would enjoy it. Don't do it just for the money or you'll probably hate it..

The protection is that because of the last on first out protocol unions adhere to when redundancies are going, it would mean that as of now, there would be literally 100s of other employee that would have to be let go before I would be touched.

Also, as a union member, it isnt as easy for the company to fire you as theyd have a **** storm to go through before they let you go, whilst on the otherhand, if st some stage my face didnt fit the company any more they could 'manage' me out the door with no back up.

I teally enjoy my role and even.moreso when I stand in for my manager, I actually do thrive on the pressure and fast changing environment so I wouldnt be solely be doing it for the money

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I honestly think that last in first to go "policy" is a thing of the past.
    I dont think theres a legal basis behind bit when it comes to making people redundant.
    To answer your question, take the promotion. If you every get laid off you'll be able to interview for managerial positions with potentially more pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭micks_address

The protection is that because of the last on first out protocol unions adhere to when redundancies are going, it would mean that as of now, there would be literally 100s of other employee that would have to be let go before I would be touched.

Also, as a union member, it isnt as easy for the company to fire you as theyd have a **** storm to go through before they let you go, whilst on the otherhand, if st some stage my face didnt fit the company any more they could 'manage' me out the door with no back up.

I teally enjoy my role and even.moreso when I stand in for my manager, I actually do thrive on the pressure and fast changing environment so I wouldnt be solely be doing it for the money

Think you have answered your own question there. Go for it. What's the worst that could happen?

Think you have answered your own question there. Go for it. What's the worst that could happen?

One detail I left out is yes, Ive worked my way up off the floor up the ladder but I dont have a degree, I have a higher cert, a QQI Level 6 in a related subjegt but if I got left go from my job after I took a managers job I couldnt really apply for other managerial pisitions elsewhere as all of those require degrees.

I could however do a degree course part time.....the company woukd even pay for it theyve said.

Itd be tough as Ive 2 very young kids at home.

A lot to.think about.

The last in 1st out policy is strictly adhered in my company btw.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

One detail I left out is yes, Ive worked my way up off the floor up the ladder but I dont have a degree, I have a higher cert, a QQI Level 6 in a related subjegt but if I got left go from my job after I took a managers job I couldnt really apply for other managerial pisitions elsewhere as all of those require degrees.

I could however do a degree course part time.....the company woukd even pay for it theyve said.

Itd be tough as Ive 2 very young kids at home.

A lot to.think about.

The last in 1st out policy is strictly adhered in my company btw.

Every job I've had for the last 18 years have all required degrees. I don't have a degree. You apply anyway, and if they think you know what you're doing, you'll get the job.
    Manager looks a lot better on a CV (in the big if) you are let go, than union member!
    You still have rights without being a union member.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Sono

I know you could do with the extra money, couldn’t we all. Would you be required to do more hours along with this promotion? Will you miss time with your kids? I suppose it comes down to what’s more important right now your time with your family or the extra money.

It might be a case of the right job at the wrong time, I would probably decline it myself but that’s just my view. I’ve learned my time is more important than money in the bank, once I’ve enough to get by I’m happy.

Sono wrote: »
    I know you could do with the extra money, couldn’t we all. Would you be required to do more hours along with this promotion? Will you miss time with your kids? I suppose it comes down to what’s more important right now your time with your family or the extra money.

It might be a case of the right job at the wrong time, I would probably decline it myself but that’s just my view. I’ve learned my time is more important than money in the bank, once I’ve enough to get by I’m happy.

Hi there, no, there would be zero extra hours if I took the job, we work on a 3 shift basis, clock in and clock out, only overtime if you want it.

Id lose no time extra away from my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Sono

Hi there, no, there would be zero extra hours if I took the job, we work on a 3 shift basis, clock in and clock out, only overtime if you want it.

Id lose no time extra away from my family.

Well if the family time is not impacted then I would absolutely take it as long as the bump was significant enough, Would the extra money make a big difference after tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

No brainer, take the promotion when you get it. Unions are worse than useless these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Jaysus. Take th per promotion and the degree too if they’re offering it! If they invest in educating you th y won’t be letting you go any time soon.

Take the feckin’ hand off them if it’s offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

My initial reaction is go for it.

Don’t mind the degree stuff in job specs. That becomes irrelevant after a few years experience, never mind 20 years experience.

The management skills will stand to you. If you are worried about being let go, the other advantage you have here is 20 years in the company, so a larger redundancy package. But if you’re someone who has worked your way up, the company know you as a reliable employee who is willing and able to better themselves. So a hard worker that will cost a lot to let go might be more protection than union cover :)

The key thing here is if you will enjoy it. You say when you step in for your manager you do, but is it something you would like full time, or is it the change of routine that makes you enjoy it?

I’ve always found writing a list of pros and cons can be really helpful in organising your thoughts on promotion/job change.

I would however put less emphasis on the union protection (still important, but not as important) and the degree requirement.

Best of luck. I know this stuff is very tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I have recently been in a very similar predicament to yourself and I ended up taking the managerial role.
    I was exactly the same, 20 yrs in my company , have been through 4 internal jobs and then a manager position came up.
    Although we do not have any union representation, as a employee with 20 yrs I had a big amount of protection due to my experience in the various roles.
    I did have to give it a lot of consideration, even with the increase of nearly 20% and better car. In the end I considered the fact of what the optics would be if I didn't go for it, I considered how the challenge could make things fresh and invigorate me, and as I am 45, I was thinking I did not want to turn around in a few years and regret not going for it.
    In the end I had to do over 3.5 hrs of interview in front of 6 people that pulled me to shreds but I still came out on top.
    I now feel after 7 months , much more valued, respected and challenged that I can do a better job.
    I think you should go for it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

and I meant to add, you can always step back down if you change your mind.
    If you stay where you are and change your mind, you won't get to step up.

Silverfish wrote: »
    and I meant to add, you can always step back down if you change your mind.
    If you stay where you are and change your mind, you won't get to step up.

Theres no stepping back down from this role.
    Once you leave siptu in our company you cannot step back.

I think its definitely worth taking, theres a lot of great advise here and angles I hadnt looked at the situation in before. Lets just say my mind is more att ease about all of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Take the job no hesitation for me.

Unions are unreliable. Often have an agenda other than yours. Do not rely on them.

This may be your only chance to jump to management.b personally I don't regret the things I tried even if they didn't work out. I do regret the opportunities I passed on.

Advertisement