Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Anonposter2020

optogirl wrote: »
    Feeling very deflated about the whole thing - getting outbid everywhere. Resigned to now having to move, with the kids, into a kip and do it up (very slowly because all of our savings from the past 10 years will be gone on deposit)

We had to move, will be changing the kids schools from September 2021. I hate doing it but it was the only way we'd ever have our own house.

We bought a 6 bed house with a bit of land in Co. Limerick for 140k. Needs a bit of work totaling 30k (new windows, upgraded heating system etc). For that price we wouldn't have got a shoebox in the area we're in now.

Just sharing so you know that it's an option and not a bad one either. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Just found out into through the grapevine re the house im buying . The previous owner committed suicide in the converted attic

Should this have been disclosed to me ?

Would it put others off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Just found out into through the grapevine re the house im buying . The previous owner committed suicide in the converted attic

Wouldn't put me off. People die in houses all the time.

Should they have told you? Legally not required and not in the interest of the seller to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

jon1981 wrote: »
    Wouldn't put me off. People die in houses all the time.

Should they have told you? Legally not required and not in the interest of the seller to tell you.

Ah ok . The more I think of it the more it's not an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I don't think it's contagious, so no and no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

As mentioned, no and no.

Why is it relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Senature

Well I understand why it wasn't disclosed.

It's only an issue if it bothers you. If not then go for it.

Personally I think I would always be conscious of it in some way so it wouldn't be for me. For example there was a violent murder close to where I grew up, I don't think I ever pass that spot without thinking of it and feeling a bit sad and horrified. I wouldn't want that inside my own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Cian59

Are walkthroughs pre-closing a typical occurrence in Ireland? If so, when do they usually happen (before contracts or final closing)?

I haven't been to the house since the viewing as don't want to impede the vendors with the current restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Cian59 wrote: »
    Are walkthroughs pre-closing a typical occurrence in Ireland? If so, when do they usually happen (before contracts or final closing)?

I haven't been to the house since the viewing as don't want to impede the vendors with the current restrictions.

Yea but you need to arrange it with your estate agent, close to closing is normally the final inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Anyone with Aib ... How long did it take to get your letter of offer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Meraf

michellie wrote: »

I've got mine within 5 working days and that was 3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Meraf wrote: »
    I've got mine within 5 working days and that was 3 weeks ago.

Thanks, I would be 7 working days tomorrow.hoping we will have it then!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭omicron

I've the same question for anyone with Ulster Bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Shoden

Same question for BOI and ICS.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭pleh

We have aip and our offer was accepted a couple of days ago. We have to pay booking deposit tomorrow.
    We were planning on a small mortgage, which included a reno budget of 30k. It sounds like we will not be able to now get mortgage protection due to a long term illness - mine, and so without a mortgage we will be under pressure with a cash sale. Fingers crossed we can get it over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Contract is signed, first closing date has passed already without key handover
    sellers have went ahead with a closing date of end of november without any discussion on my side,
    18 weeks and counting, very frustrating never again going through this rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Leozord

Canyon86 wrote: »
    sellers have went ahead with a closing date of end of november without any discussion on my side,

so, they will handover the key just on the closing date? or you were expecting to get the keys before?

I signed the contract and vendor's solicitor already have it, haven't heard a closing date yet from their side...

am expecting to be within two weeks from the vendor's signature... fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

You could serve them a notice through your solicitor once it goes over 28 days after the closing date

Leozord wrote: »
    so, they will handover the key just on the closing date? or you were expecting to get the keys before?

I signed the contract and vendor's solicitor already have it, haven't heard a closing date yet from their side...

am expecting to be within two weeks from the vendor's signature... fingers crossed

I want the keys asap, hopefully

you should push for 2 weeks and best of luck!

You could serve them a notice through your solicitor once it goes over 28 days after the closing date

ill more than likely have to go down this route

• Advertisement

Canyon86 wrote: »

People need to write to their local member asking the government to make legislative changes to regulate how property transactions are conducted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

cnocbui wrote: »
    People need to write to their local member asking the government to make legislative changes to regulate how property transactions are conducted.

What good would that do ?
    Vested interests want to make it as convoluted and as expensive as possible
    Government should make all house sales subject to finance .
    Why don't they?
    The builders do not want it ?

brisan wrote: »
    What good would that do ?
    Vested interests want to make it as convoluted and as expensive as possible
    Government should make all house sales subject to finance .
    Why don't they?
    The builders do not want it ?

True, that. What was I thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Got the keys to my first to my first home last Wednesday! This thread has been a huge help and answered so many questions for me. Single buyer so it was invaluable.

No major hold ups along the way. From sale agreed to keys took about 2.5 months. Would have been quicker but there was a bit of messing between solicitors and the seller having to move from Galway to Dublin.

I went with BOI and I found them excellent. Really responsive and always happy to answer my many many questions. Fixed for 2 years and will resassess then.

The most confusing part was the mortgage protection. Just so much jargon! I got a broker thought Sherry Fitzgerald in the end and they went through the forms with me when I was filling them out.

Best of luck to everyone startling the mortgage journey and everyone currently going through it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

jenno86 wrote: »
    Got the keys to my first to my first home last Wednesday! This thread has been a huge help and answered so many questions for me. Single buyer so it was invaluable.

No major hold ups along the way. From sale agreed to keys took about 2.5 months. Would have been quicker but there was a bit of messing between solicitors and the seller having to move from Galway to Dublin.

I went with BOI and I found them excellent. Really responsive and always happy to answer my many many questions. Fixed for 2 years and will resassess then.

The most confusing part was the mortgage protection. Just so much jargon! I got a broker thought Sherry Fitzgerald in the end and they went through the forms with me when I was filling them out.

Best of luck to everyone startling the mortgage journey and everyone currently going through it!

Congrats
    You are proof that a single buyer can indeed get a home for themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭thebourke

if you are selling a house for roughly 300k and buying a house for rough 400k

how much roughly will it cost you for
    solicitors fees,estate agent fees ,tax etc?

€8,000-10,000 I would say, so long as the one you are selling is the family home.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

thebourke wrote: »
    if you are selling a house for roughly 300k and buying a house for rough 400k

how much roughly will it cost you for
    solicitors fees,estate agent fees ,tax etc?

im selling for 360 buying for just over 400

went with flat fee <MOD SNIP> 1500 estate agent, had to do viewings myself.

solicitors I think are coming in under 5k

stamp duty 4k

did my own removal and moving so no fees there

rest is new household tax, home insurance in full for year
    building survey, bank valuation ~ 1.6k

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Feeling a bit deflated. Contracts signed and I contacted today my broker for drawdown timeline. We are buying a new build. He said that if the valuation is done this week, he expects drawdown around the 11/12. I never thought that it would take so long. Thought that 2 weeks max. We are with KBC. Anyone in the same boat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭hi!

hi! wrote: »
    That’s so annoying! I’ve bid on a house at asking price but estate agent has said they’re looking for at least 30k more- which I won’t be offering. Haven’t heard anything back about my bid yet. I think something similar is going to happen to me. And yes I know lockdown may be effecting things but it was up 3 weeks before that and had other viewings with no other offers. I think the market may be slowing in my area but sellers are in denial.

Just an update to my situation. Heard absolutely nothing back about my bid. Rang EA today..no others bids. Seller has now taken house off the market.

Advertisement